A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Giving notice vs being fired - sm

Posted: Dec 23, 2011

I see a lot of confusion here lately.  Let me clear things up.

I know we all think of it as quitting in advance, but that's not the case, even if you tell them "I'm going to quit in 2 weeks."  When you give your notice, whether it's 1 day, 2 weeks, or a month in advance, you're essentially saying "I quit, but if you need time to find a replacement, I'm willing to stay for x amount of time."  This is just a courtesy.  If they decline your offer or let you go early, it still counts as a resignation, not a termination.  They can't fire you if you've already quit.

Quitting without notice can reflect poorly on you when using that job as a reference in the future, but it's only meant to benefit your employer.  You should always expect the possibility that they'll let you go early, so if you absolutely need that last paycheck, you shouldn't give any notice.  And if they do let you go early, you shouldn't expect to qualify for any unemployment or welfare benefits that exclude people who quit voluntarily.

The above may or may not apply to the poster below who "gave notice but didn't REALLY give notice," but it's possible she just threatened to quit and it was misinterpreted to mean she was giving two weeks notice.  Save/print your e-mails in case you need to show proof to receive unemployment benefits.

You CAN get benefits for quitting voluntarily - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I quit a job (gave 2 weeks notice) because they wanted to switch me to a worktype that was more difficult for the same pay - and I DID get unemployment - first it was declined, then I appealed it, and I did get unemployment.

There ARE legitimate reasons having to do with terms of hire being changed - if you hire me in to do X, and start asking me to do more difficult work for the SAME PAY, when there is still X work available - you've just chosen not to give it to me - as far as unemployment is concerned, at least in my case, this IS a legitimate reason to quit. I believe a lack of work is also a legitimate reason to quit, depending on the circumstances.

Bottom line - if you feel like your job is not fair, you may be correct, it isn't - therefore, you are entitled to quit AND receive unemployment benefits. Just do your research, verify and document, and be able to explain why you feel the terms of hire were not being honored by the company.

You're right. You can also be denied even if you were terminated. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can even collect unemployment while you're still working there if you're not being given enough work. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying to get the benefits they deserve, but do your research first so you don't end up shooting yourself in the foot, and definitely don't count your chickens before they hatch.

"They fired me after I quit" isn't going to help you qualify for much of anything, but "I was forced to resign because [...] and here is the documentation to prove it" will give you a much better shot.

Also, keep in mind that they're going to disable your accounts. If you use a company e-mail address, you won't have access to it when you're appealing for benefits later on, so make sure you save/print those important e-mails while you still can.

Similar Messages:

When Giving Notice
Apr 01, 2012

When leaving a job and a company wants written notice, will an email suffice, or does it have to be registered mail? ...

Am Considering Giving Notice To Webmedx
Nov 05, 2010

If so, did you put in a full two weeks' notice? Did they let you work the 2 weeks? I think I might overlap some, so I can train on the one while still making $$ on the other. How has it worked for you?   ...

Giving Mmodal Notice?
Oct 15, 2012

Does anyone have any experience recently with how much notice to give MModal?  Am afraid if I give notice I will be locked out and will not be able to finish and I need to work up until my notice date.  Thanks. ...

Giving 2-week Notice?
Oct 14, 2014

Is Nuance still in the habit of cutting you off right away if you wish to give notice of leaving? I am nervous about taking the leap back into IC but need the flexibility, but what if it doesn't work out....what to do, what to do? I start training this week and want to give 2 weeks notice, just for the fact that I want to keep working around the same time of day that I am scheduled at Nuance - and goodness knows we can't work outside of our schedule  - so can't do both at th ...

To Those Who Are Quitting: Why Are You Giving Notice?
Dec 10, 2014

x ...

Imedx Giving Notice
Apr 29, 2015

Does anyone know if you do not give 2 weeks notice if they will still give you your accrued vacation time?  Sitting here today twiddling my thumbs staring at a blank queue most of the day.  I am just totally over it.  I'd rather just move on with my life ... but I do want my paid vacation time.  ...

Transcend Rehiring After Not Giving Notice
Dec 23, 2011

Does anyone know if it's possible to be rehired by Transcend after quitting a year and a half ago with no notice? I got a job in my own town that I had to start immediately and couldn't pass up because it was working days. I had to quit without notice, but I am thinking of reapplying.    ...

Should I Even Bother Giving 2 Weeks Notice?
Sep 05, 2014

Really getting fed up....virtually NO work since Labor Day....looking elsewhere and don't want to burn any bridges, but what's the point of giving M*Modal 2 weeks notice if there's no work to type and I could actually be making money at a new job in that 2 weeks' time?! ...

Not Giving Up On TAA
Jan 11, 2010

Decided to take the advise I received about not giving up.  The results are that I was told that I have to be laid off, or about to be laid off.  Want letter from MQ stating lay off or date of lay off.  Too tired to worry with this anymore. ...

Giving Up On The Q
Jan 12, 2010

It is hard to take the leap of faith. It is hard to not be an "MT" anymore after so long. It is hard to think of myself as doing something else... I always said I would go down with the ship and it was hard to admit that my life boat had arrived....maybe an offshore joke would work here. Thanks to all the posters on the board who kept me from going insane everytime I was lied to, everytime I was performance managed, got my pay cuts, got lied to some more, and got promoted to MME.  I don ...

Giving It Up!!!!
Jan 30, 2010

I am giving it up, transcription work.  I have been a transcriptionist since 1998 and have thus so far on this board or other boards have had a job that supported me in doing my work.  I have learned many platforms and programs for these companies and always QA seems to be the downfall on all jobs.  Learn it one way, learn it another way and always not good enough. So jobs I am going back into retail.  Good luck to all MTer's.  ...

Giving Way Or Away
Oct 10, 2010

What is the correct term- giving way or giving away (referring to knee)? Hope everyone is having a nice weekend ...

Giving Up
Oct 28, 2014

On my shift yesterday, I did well over 3 hours of dictation, worked 7.25 out of 8 hours (by company standards), and made less than $60.00.  Again.  Can someone please tell me how not to give up? ...

Newbie Considering Giving Up On MT
Nov 14, 2010

I am a newbie to the transcription world.  I have a year's experience in this field but it is so frustrating trying to find a job and finding that person/company that will give you a chance to gain that experience.  I am getting frustrated with job searching and every job saying they require 2 years experience or even more like 5 years.  I did go to online schooling and graduated and felt like my schooling taught me a lot.  I gave up a good paying office job so th ...

Giving Lines Back
Sep 13, 2012

I just took a job that said they paid 3.2 cpl for edited and 6.8 for transcribed.  Almost everything is edited.  Now they want me to divide my edited line count by half and claim that as my edited line count, not the total number of edited lines I do.  Has anyone else been told this kind of stuff?  I can't believe it!  If I do this I only get paid 1.6 cpl for my edited lines.  I am flabergasted!  I can't live off that in America, who could? ...

I Do Not Mind Giving This Doctor's Name
Oct 02, 2014

Dr. M has got to be the worst dictator that NUisANCE has.  One can only hope he's a better doctor than he is a dictator. ...

Employer Not Giving A Time To End A Shift?
Nov 03, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of an employer asking you to start at a certain and not giving a time to end a shift?  What I've been getting is "just work until the work is done".  Any comments are appreciated. ...

Have You Heard Of Giving Dilaudid With Sugar?
Nov 24, 2011

Pt has severe rectal pain from hemorrhoid banding. S/L dr. is saying "The patient was given Dilaudid and granulated sugar locally with no relief."  I have never heard of this. Would they put it on it, or is it given orally??? ...

What Is The Purpose Of Giving You A Backup Account
Oct 03, 2013

You are just back at square one with the same problem, NO WORK. How about a true solution instead of just taking a meaningless action that solves nothing. ...

Wow Giving Away Close To 400 In Gift Cards
May 15, 2015

Are you freaking serious??? How many MTs are there in this company? What an insult..And no I'm not playing your games, entering your contests, or doing anything but look for another job. ...

When Giving Opinions Of Various Companies Whether Likes Or Dislikes
Aug 31, 2012

Most people are vague in their comments.  Give the details i.e. why you don't like the platform, why you don't like the benefits.  Or what type of benefits, how much you pay for the benefits, etc., how many vacation days you get, how is the vacation/sick pay calculated, hourly or average of lines, etc. ...

Thanks, Nuance For Taking All My Working And Giving It To Offshore
Sep 27, 2012

Thanks so much for taking all the work in my primary and giving it to offshore so that I had to go to my secondary We-Don't-Speak-No-Good-English account!  Thanks for helping me lower my line average with that awesome secondary and raising my QC average!  Thanks for making me sign in and out 10 times yesterday to see if there was work!  Thanks for taking the work (all out of TAT) and giving it back to onshore a half hour before my shift was over!  Thanks for making me lose sleep over ...

Does Nuance Give A T-giving, X-mas Bonus/gift?
Nov 27, 2013

nm ...

I Think This Has Been Suggested Before, But How About Giving Imedx Their Own Message Board? Nm
Feb 07, 2015

xxx ...

Received A Message From OSI Recruiter Giving Instructions To Register For Testing? 
Feb 08, 2011

Recevied a message from OSI recruiter giving instructions to register for testing?  Anyone know how long it took to receive the confirmation code once registering?  Also any positives/negatives would be appreciate.  I've been doing this since correctotape and typewriter days....I just want to retire (not for a few more years anyway) and have resasonable benefits.  I guess everything is sort of going this way these days, but I guess we have to stick it out.  Could we all just not log in ...

Got Fired From The Q - Ha Ha
Feb 24, 2010

Well, I was officially fired yesterday.  Up until last summer, I was one of their top producers, never having an accuracy problem.  The reason I got fired?  I got sick. Early last summer, I let a UTI go for 10 days (lived off Rx strength OTC Pyridium) until I was severely septic and urinating almost pure blood and clots.  I also had a kidney infection, kidney stones and bladder stones.  Thought it was over.  IIRC, the urinary organism was proteus mirabilis.  I ...

Getting Fired
Apr 01, 2010

Isn't it odd that being fired from MQ isn't a disgrace?  Being fired from any other place would be total humiliation, but I don't think anybody here would ever look down on another MT who was let go.  MQ doesn't discriminate.  They justly fire bad MTs, but they also fire good MTs who are stuck with crummy accounts, accounts that constantly have NJA, and probably a ton of reasons that are beyond our control.  ...

Fired
Apr 28, 2010

I was hired by company initials "P" under the conditions that my computer meet their specifications.  I was told my computer met their specification and then offered employment.  I accepted. Their technicians worked on my computer for 2 weeks straight and installed faulty software, and then I was told my system would not meet their specifications and I needed to have my computer XP deleted and reinstalled or buy a new computer.  I had my computer checked out and was told my c ...

I Don't Really Want To Get Fired From Q
Dec 08, 2010

it really wouldn't be such a bad thing ...

I Was Fired
Jun 14, 2011

I was fired. I started with Medquist in 1998. They fired me in 1997. I was hired and Spheris and became a Medquist employee after they bought Spheris. I was fired again today. I just hope Medquist eventually stabilizes and the employees are happy again. I hope I find something suitable for me. I wish the best for all. It's been one hell of a bumpy and uneven ride. Bon voyage to me!!! ...