A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

not giving up on TAA - whatever

Posted: Jan 11, 2010

Decided to take the advise I received about not giving up.  The results are that I was told that I have to be laid off, or about to be laid off.  Want letter from MQ stating lay off or date of lay off.  Too tired to worry with this anymore.

PS to not giving up - whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
She also said that I have to be receiving unemployment to even begin to qualify

i was told the exact same thing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am letting this go for now. I drove myself crazy. This board says one thing, and the TAA reps say another. Bottom line, MQ should have sent out instructions regarding this program, where to go and how to utilize it. Going to continue working until the axe comes down.

and so the axe comes down - and down again

[ In Reply To ..]
Another round of pay cuts for everyone? Just think of what they could have gotten away with if it were not for the internet. Ironic!

I may have misunderstood your post, but - YIKES

[ In Reply To ..]
if it were not for the Internet, we would probably still be well paid MTs. The Q has been off shoring since the early 2000s (it is now a matter of public record). Back then reports were downloaded the hard way. I was a very young MT then and worked on voice files. Several years later with the improvement of the Internet we were able to transmit files offshore in close to real time, and that has improved since then. My grandmother is a retired MT. My aunt will retire in several years. I am a young MT in comparison. I have tried to claim TAA, I called 3 times. I was told I had to be laid off/unemployed to qualify. I was told on the third phone call I could not quit, therefore, I await the axe if I want to take part in the TAA benefits. God bless us all.

Adjusted TAA--go to the site for your state and read it for yourself - hopeful

[ In Reply To ..]
It's written in plain English, not legalese. Be your own advocate, be informed and persistent. If the local office is of no help, go to the horse's mouth and tell your story by phone (800 number). Let this be a major goal for 2010, there is money available for training, health insurance and living/moving expenses available. That's worth a little of my spare time to pursue.

Add me to the list. Just Great. - I was told that today, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
After NUMEROUS phone calls, I finally got to talk to the TAA coordinator in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

For this TAA certification of MQ, and to participate in it, he said I had to be laid off, or have a letter stating I would be getting laid off.

He still offered to send me a packet, but he said I will still have to fill out the form in the packet with my separation date or a letter stating I will be separated.

I don't have either.

I also got a 75 cent pay cut today in my little love letter from MQ.

Well, if I didn't have to spend so much time fixing the work from the Bollywood people who took my job from me, then maybe I could make some money.

Today was a HAP HAP HAPPY DAY for me.

I think I will go to be now and just forget about it.

I knew it sounded too good to be true for me.

My experience - NOMO

[ In Reply To ..]
I originally found "official" Missouri information on line telling how to file for the trade assistance, call this number, press this number. Spent about 1/2 week trying to get through to someone. Finally got through to a man who told me I would first have to file for UE to get in the system and then go for the TAA. He also said that I would have to "be drawing UE for a full year before any of the TAA benefits kicked in" and "he really did not do too many of them." The only thing he helped me with and it was reinforced on the board was to file for UE first which I did. Most states have online filing for UE. Pennsylvania does. Then thanks again to the board I called my local One-Stop Career Center, which again can be found by googling it for one closest to your home, explained I had worked for MQ who had been petitioned to receive the TAA benefits and I wanted to know if I can receive retraining, et cetera. I have an appointment on Friday to talk with her. Has your wage gone down, your hours cut, NJA a steady diet, constant threat of outsource, you work for MQ? Then please get in the UE system by filing a claim even if you are still working and then find your local One Stop Career Center and ask them what you are entitled to. Mine wanted to know what fields I wanted to study, had I looked into colleges, had I received my Cobra yet.

THANK YOU FOR THE POSITIVE POST ABOUT TAA - -- you are encouraging

[ In Reply To ..]
To all others, please read this post and keep trying. You are not simply filing for unemployment (UE), you are trying to get TAA benefits associated with outsourcing and negative impact on specific employees, Medquist is impacted because of outsourcing.

THANK YOU FOR BEING POSITIVE. THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

Some just want to come here and complain once a phone call doesn't provide them with 100% details that are crystal clear. What I don't understand is why give up so soon without even starting the process. Absolutely amazing!!!!!

Not true -- file for UE anyway online - anyone can file for UE

[ In Reply To ..]
The person you talked to is NOT the single individual that makes decision about a worker's UE. What is wrong with going ahead and filing for the UE? File for the UE. If denied, appeal and submit in writing your explanation about why you meet requirements because of the Medquist petition approval for all at home MTs working through MQ, Laurel, New Jersey. This is one person, not the mass of staff that make decisions about UE. Why let even several phone calls stop you from simply going online and just filing the UE? It seems you want to come here and complain. Even if the answer is no, what is harmful, painful, wrong about applying and going through the process. I don't get you.

You're being given info about TRADITIONAL route - to UE -- New rules about TAA

[ In Reply To ..]
You should fill out application and attach a copy of the MQ petition posted on this board. There are new rules (adjusted TAA) that was just approved a few weeks ago. This allows for the PRE-LAYOFF status where you don't actually have to be laid off or anticipating layoff. Loss of income, loss of work hours, outsourcing are the prime things. Fill out application. At least keep trying. Yes, today wasn't a good day, but submit UE and fill out application. Don't let what one person says affect your decision. Perhaps the person you spoke with didn't remember or care to recall the new rules that just kicked in for TAA. I don't know but it seems you could at least fill out application, submit it with the petition, and wait for a decision. You can always go through an appeal process and still submit a copy of the Medquist TAA petition. You seem to want something to complain about. I would not let conversations from ONE person stop my effort to improve my situation.

Provide state you're in -- can let you know - offices in area that can help you

[ In Reply To ..]
Get some rest, get on phone tomorrow, lots of states know about TAA and are helping MQ MTs get signed up. So, you clearly are not getting the correct info. What state? What geographic area?

MQ petition impacts ALL MTs working at home - in US -- request packet anyway

[ In Reply To ..]
MTs work for Medquist in ALL states. The Medquist petition covers ALL MTs working in every state, although Medquist is geographically located in New Jersey. The Medquist TAA petition covers ALL MQ MTs in EVERY state. The staff person simply pulled up a list of businesses in the state of Alabama that are eligible for TAA. MQ might not be specifically on the state's list of state businesses that are listed and available for viewing by the staff.

any luck with Georgia?nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Have you tried to contact your WorkOne Office - why not just call for TAA appt

[ In Reply To ..]
If other MTs in many states are using the same Medquist TAA petition to get benefits, then it would seem Georgia would not be any different. There is also a regional Department of Labor official for about a 10 or 12 state area located in Atlanta. If you've had problems have you tried contacting the regional TAA director?

Similar Messages:

Giving Up On The Q
Jan 12, 2010

It is hard to take the leap of faith. It is hard to not be an "MT" anymore after so long. It is hard to think of myself as doing something else... I always said I would go down with the ship and it was hard to admit that my life boat had arrived....maybe an offshore joke would work here. Thanks to all the posters on the board who kept me from going insane everytime I was lied to, everytime I was performance managed, got my pay cuts, got lied to some more, and got promoted to MME.  I don ...

Giving It Up!!!!
Jan 30, 2010

I am giving it up, transcription work.  I have been a transcriptionist since 1998 and have thus so far on this board or other boards have had a job that supported me in doing my work.  I have learned many platforms and programs for these companies and always QA seems to be the downfall on all jobs.  Learn it one way, learn it another way and always not good enough. So jobs I am going back into retail.  Good luck to all MTer's.  ...

Giving Way Or Away
Oct 10, 2010

What is the correct term- giving way or giving away (referring to knee)? Hope everyone is having a nice weekend ...

Giving Up
Oct 28, 2014

On my shift yesterday, I did well over 3 hours of dictation, worked 7.25 out of 8 hours (by company standards), and made less than $60.00.  Again.  Can someone please tell me how not to give up? ...

Newbie Considering Giving Up On MT
Nov 14, 2010

I am a newbie to the transcription world.  I have a year's experience in this field but it is so frustrating trying to find a job and finding that person/company that will give you a chance to gain that experience.  I am getting frustrated with job searching and every job saying they require 2 years experience or even more like 5 years.  I did go to online schooling and graduated and felt like my schooling taught me a lot.  I gave up a good paying office job so th ...

When Giving Notice
Apr 01, 2012

When leaving a job and a company wants written notice, will an email suffice, or does it have to be registered mail? ...

Am Considering Giving Notice To Webmedx
Nov 05, 2010

If so, did you put in a full two weeks' notice? Did they let you work the 2 weeks? I think I might overlap some, so I can train on the one while still making $$ on the other. How has it worked for you?   ...

Giving Notice Vs Being Fired
Dec 23, 2011

I see a lot of confusion here lately.  Let me clear things up.   I know we all think of it as quitting in advance, but that's not the case, even if you tell them "I'm going to quit in 2 weeks."  When you give your notice, whether it's 1 day, 2 weeks, or a month in advance, you're essentially saying "I quit, but if you need time to find a replacement, I'm willing to stay for x amount of time."  This is just a courtesy.  If they decline your offe ...

Giving Lines Back
Sep 13, 2012

I just took a job that said they paid 3.2 cpl for edited and 6.8 for transcribed.  Almost everything is edited.  Now they want me to divide my edited line count by half and claim that as my edited line count, not the total number of edited lines I do.  Has anyone else been told this kind of stuff?  I can't believe it!  If I do this I only get paid 1.6 cpl for my edited lines.  I am flabergasted!  I can't live off that in America, who could? ...

Giving Mmodal Notice?
Oct 15, 2012

Does anyone have any experience recently with how much notice to give MModal?  Am afraid if I give notice I will be locked out and will not be able to finish and I need to work up until my notice date.  Thanks. ...

I Do Not Mind Giving This Doctor's Name
Oct 02, 2014

Dr. M has got to be the worst dictator that NUisANCE has.  One can only hope he's a better doctor than he is a dictator. ...

Giving 2-week Notice?
Oct 14, 2014

Is Nuance still in the habit of cutting you off right away if you wish to give notice of leaving? I am nervous about taking the leap back into IC but need the flexibility, but what if it doesn't work out....what to do, what to do? I start training this week and want to give 2 weeks notice, just for the fact that I want to keep working around the same time of day that I am scheduled at Nuance - and goodness knows we can't work outside of our schedule  - so can't do both at th ...

To Those Who Are Quitting: Why Are You Giving Notice?
Dec 10, 2014

x ...

Imedx Giving Notice
Apr 29, 2015

Does anyone know if you do not give 2 weeks notice if they will still give you your accrued vacation time?  Sitting here today twiddling my thumbs staring at a blank queue most of the day.  I am just totally over it.  I'd rather just move on with my life ... but I do want my paid vacation time.  ...

Employer Not Giving A Time To End A Shift?
Nov 03, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of an employer asking you to start at a certain and not giving a time to end a shift?  What I've been getting is "just work until the work is done".  Any comments are appreciated. ...

Have You Heard Of Giving Dilaudid With Sugar?
Nov 24, 2011

Pt has severe rectal pain from hemorrhoid banding. S/L dr. is saying "The patient was given Dilaudid and granulated sugar locally with no relief."  I have never heard of this. Would they put it on it, or is it given orally??? ...

Transcend Rehiring After Not Giving Notice
Dec 23, 2011

Does anyone know if it's possible to be rehired by Transcend after quitting a year and a half ago with no notice? I got a job in my own town that I had to start immediately and couldn't pass up because it was working days. I had to quit without notice, but I am thinking of reapplying.    ...

What Is The Purpose Of Giving You A Backup Account
Oct 03, 2013

You are just back at square one with the same problem, NO WORK. How about a true solution instead of just taking a meaningless action that solves nothing. ...

Should I Even Bother Giving 2 Weeks Notice?
Sep 05, 2014

Really getting fed up....virtually NO work since Labor Day....looking elsewhere and don't want to burn any bridges, but what's the point of giving M*Modal 2 weeks notice if there's no work to type and I could actually be making money at a new job in that 2 weeks' time?! ...

Wow Giving Away Close To 400 In Gift Cards
May 15, 2015

Are you freaking serious??? How many MTs are there in this company? What an insult..And no I'm not playing your games, entering your contests, or doing anything but look for another job. ...

When Giving Opinions Of Various Companies Whether Likes Or Dislikes
Aug 31, 2012

Most people are vague in their comments.  Give the details i.e. why you don't like the platform, why you don't like the benefits.  Or what type of benefits, how much you pay for the benefits, etc., how many vacation days you get, how is the vacation/sick pay calculated, hourly or average of lines, etc. ...

Thanks, Nuance For Taking All My Working And Giving It To Offshore
Sep 27, 2012

Thanks so much for taking all the work in my primary and giving it to offshore so that I had to go to my secondary We-Don't-Speak-No-Good-English account!  Thanks for helping me lower my line average with that awesome secondary and raising my QC average!  Thanks for making me sign in and out 10 times yesterday to see if there was work!  Thanks for taking the work (all out of TAT) and giving it back to onshore a half hour before my shift was over!  Thanks for making me lose sleep over ...

Does Nuance Give A T-giving, X-mas Bonus/gift?
Nov 27, 2013

nm ...

I Think This Has Been Suggested Before, But How About Giving Imedx Their Own Message Board? Nm
Feb 07, 2015

xxx ...

Received A Message From OSI Recruiter Giving Instructions To Register For Testing? 
Feb 08, 2011

Recevied a message from OSI recruiter giving instructions to register for testing?  Anyone know how long it took to receive the confirmation code once registering?  Also any positives/negatives would be appreciate.  I've been doing this since correctotape and typewriter days....I just want to retire (not for a few more years anyway) and have resasonable benefits.  I guess everything is sort of going this way these days, but I guess we have to stick it out.  Could we all just not log in ...

Any Good MTSOs To Work For Not Giving Work To India?
Apr 11, 2013

I hate working for this company and their value system.  We were bought out 3 months ago by them and I've been watching and listening.  They only seem to focus on 2 things: money and getting ahead of the other transcription companies, ie, greed.  This whole thing about sending work to India, their way of obtaining employees (ie buying companies out or whatever you wanna call it--even if its legal its underhanded to say the least).  The very thing our industry is sup ...