Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

a couple ideas - MegaMT

Posted: May 7th, 2018 - 8:49 pm In Reply to: Help with negotiating - CPL

First, as IC just remember you have to pay self-employment taxes, so don't shortchange yourself; right away you're going to lose some of that income to self-employment taxes. If it were me, I'd count that loss as 15-25%--others may disagree, as there are deductions you can take as well. But do some math and bump up your cpl rate accordingly.

10 years is very decent; I see job ads asking for only 1-3 years for positions I think should require much more experience! So again, don't undercut yourself. You have a lot of experience.

I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet, but here's something interesting I read somewhere about job interviews. I read you should never be the first one to bring up the money; let THEM do it. If they ask you what you want to be paid, ask them "What do you feel the job is worth?" That puts the ball back in their court! Their answer should tell you something. Maybe they will make you a great offer, maybe not. Know how you want to respond to various offers. Don't accept a poor offer. Here's something else: if they are mentioning money, you can also ask "Are you making me a job offer?" If so, you can begin negotiating. You could mention the self-employment taxes too, as a reason for needing more (or at least I would).

Sorry, the above is a little disjointed, but you probably get the picture.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)