Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

That is fun to see, thank you. You are right that - careful review 15 years ago,

Posted: Jul 31st, 2017 - 3:47 pm In Reply to: Expander comparison - MMK

and just reading about IT now and then since, puts me somewhat out of date. :) My assumption has always been that IT probably does a thing or two I'd like to have that SH does not, besides, of course, its famous dictionary-builder function. And likely there is something that would make me downright jealous.

Shorthand also, however, like IT in what you posted, does allow people to collect whole chains of keystrokes and functions that are often repeated and give them a short name that executes them with a couple keystrokes. I probably have, guessing, somewhere between 100 and 200, maybe 300, of them (with editing, some are seldom used now, just sit and wait for when they're needed).

It can be done in SH either by recording the keystrokes while typing them in a document or by typing or copying them from elsewhere (such as complex scripts developed by people with programming ability) into a window, then giving them a short name.

The limitations I encounter in SH in this respect are imposed, not by SH, but by the programs I work with. Almost all Word function keys, for instance, are recognized by my current platform, but one or two have been assigned by platform programmers to their own tasks.

During a platform change that didn't allow it to work, I managed to lose the one that renumbers an entire list from the first item (such as when SR leaves out the first item) and can't replicate it because it was a script provided by someone else (I think gifted to everyone right here on the VR forum), not by simply copying keystrokes as I typed them. However, if I found the script again, it'd be an extremely simple matter to copy it into SH and be off and running. I could probably find it if I went and searched, but perhaps IT provides it? Wouldn't be surprised.

I think my short form for that was U+F7 because the keys are close to each other but not closest. Those I reserve for things I use very often, like breaking up one sentence into two or combining two sentences with an and or or and comma or semicolon (those last 4 different possibilities, so 4 different short forms).

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)