Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Both are excellent with significant tradeoffs. - I chose SH way over 15 years ago

Posted: Jul 31st, 2017 - 8:56 am In Reply to: Instant Text is vastly superior to ShortHand - IT user

after investigating both and have never doubted I made a good choice. I actually usually prefer programs that offer the most bells and whistles and wasn't put off by IT's complexity at all. There were two main reasons then for going with SH (I did not choose SH for its relative user-friendliness), but the one that is still just as applicable today is that SH allows dozens of symbol and function keys to be used in short forms that IT does not. This means I have literally hundreds more very commonly used words and strings of functions stored as 2- and 3-keystroke short forms that would not be available with IT.

IT has an important dictionary builder function that absolutely should be considered. It's very desirable. Lack of is not. But for SH you can download a good, free, third-party dictionary to get you started and add to that as needed, using the patterns for short forms the base dictionary has already established for you. For both, storing new shorts from text as one works is quick and easy.

Ease of use and time needed to just get going are important, and more important to some than others. :) SH's superior for that. That many people don't invest more time studying IT's complexities so they can use it properly, and never use many functions, suggests many users don't consider this worth their effort, not that they are lazy.

We get these programs to serve us and decide for ourselves what we want from them.

I have something like 100,000 entries in my dictionaries, but SH also has some functions I've never used in 15 years or so, or tried and forgot about. I will revisit if I ever feel a need for them.

(As for AutoCorrect, I'm with the previous poster. I wince every time an MT mentions it. Compared with professional programs, it's primitive and strictly amateur hour.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)