A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"non-Hispanic black male" ?? - Angie

Posted: Dec 02, 2012

Is there a reason to dictate what race someone is not? 

yes, for reporting purposes - Occasionally

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

and also for race/regional genetic-specific - illnesses/diseases (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks. Told they do this in TX, but this was a first for me. - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
it's not just texas, it's medicine - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
?!

There are reasons - Not ours to decide-see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Who knows, my first thought is genetics as they pertain to diseases. Or maybe they like the reader to know they don't need a bilingual interpretor. Maybe it's a legal thing otherwise.

We just type as dictated unless it's derogatory. We're not doctors. We're not lawyers.

And yes, African American is important as opposed to just "black." African American is not the only black race.

Similar Messages:

6' 8" White Male Or 6 Foot 8 Inch White Male?
Dec 09, 2009

I have not run across the patient's measurements before and have no clue of the proper way to type them. tia.   6' 8" white male or 6 foot 8 inch white male? ...

Proper Use Of Hispanic
Mar 07, 2012

I was wondering if I should correct this doctor. He said She is Hispanic speaking, but Hispanic isn't a language. Should I put Spanish? ...

Patient Is An (s/l Un - Jay - Ven) White Male. Nm
Feb 03, 2010

almost sounds like unshaven but i've never heard a dictator say that ...

Male Anatomy Question
Feb 27, 2013

Looking for a male anatomy term that sounds like tragus or introitus.  The sentence is "He had a Hibiclens prep and sterile draping of his abdomen, left thigh, scrotum, penis, and _____".  It sounds like he is saying introitus but with a g like introigus.  Can't find anything. ...

Where In Male PE Would You List Gynecomastia? Nm
Apr 24, 2013

v ...

Male Patient With Vaginal Flora?
Jun 02, 2010

Male patient with hematuria, with enterococcus and vaginal flora.  Does this make sense? ...

Autopsy Report Male Genital
Feb 28, 2011

Working on a autopsy report: Under the Genital System (male) all I can understand is "The tubules string well and the para (something) is brown." Not sure what the word is before brown. Someone please help!!!! ...

This Male Female Mixing Up Is Getting Worse
Mar 19, 2014

I noticed it this morning since switching,,woman clearly stated is a gentleman and the he/she her/him switching is worse then ever. AND I dont like the F4 changes extra steps that take time ...

Male Patient Who Had A Stroke, Has Paresthesias (sm)
Jul 02, 2014

and doc clearly says he suffers from PCOS. Is this an abbreviation for something other than polycystic ovary syndrome that I don't know about??? Thanks so much if you can help me here! ...

13-year 2-month-old Male How Should I Type It
Jun 05, 2015

Hello everyone, appreciate some opinions on this.  He states 13-year 2-month-old male but I am not absolutely positive on hyphenating this, not use to them dictating the years and the months. ...

Black Sponge Used In I&D
Jul 23, 2011

Anyone ever typed a black sponge in surgery?  I listened for "lap" and "lac" but I really hear "black."   Context:  "We took another rim of skin about a centimeter wider inferiorly until it bled well, as well.  This was controlled with electrocautery.  The area was then pulse-irrigated.  A medium size black sponge was placed over top of this.  The more tangential excision was covered with a wound VAC, sponge that had been tangentially shaven in half, and the entire area activated after ...

Black Out Days ---Ugh
Jul 02, 2013

Tried to submit a PDO a month in advance and got the screen showing dates blacked out.  I know it is summer, but give it a break.  I really, really need/want this day off.  Now do I try to negotiate with my manager or do I feel a fever coming on?  ...

Since When Has Halloween Become A Black-out Day?
Oct 25, 2013

Tried to take off much needed time for personal issues that suddenly arose and happened to include Halloween.  Was denied because it's a "black-out" day!  WTH?!! I don't celebrate Halloween but I do have much needed things that need attention and can't possibly put off because of this miserable minimum wage POS job.  Taking it off anyway.  Guess I'll get "sick" instead.  How I would love to walk into the TSM office and give her the finger.  ...

GU Exam On Young Male S/l Smoral Ring
Jan 27, 2010

Gu exam on 9 year old. s/l smoral ring was palpated and no masses felt. ...

How Would You Type For Verbatim Acct, 87- Almost-88-year-old Male?
Sep 16, 2011

.. ...

Hyphenation - The Patient Is A Right Handed Or Right Hand Male
Jan 23, 2014

I have had so many responses to this from others.  For this sentence:  The patient is a right handed or right hand male.  Do we hyphenate between right and hand/handed or not?  Also, if the sentence reads:  The patient is right handed.  Do we hyphenate between the two?  Thks. ...

VBC (visible Black Character)
Jan 02, 2010

When did this start to happen??  By my calculations, you stand to lose 20-30% of your income.  If you have to type a space, why wouldn't you expect to be paid for it???  For me, VBC stands for "victim by choice," which I refuse to be. ...

$0.05 Per 43 Visible Black Characters?
Mar 29, 2010

Exactly what does that end up being translated into a usual 65 character line with spaces?    I'm feeling like I need a math degree to figure out what I'm going to get paid lately.  ...

Saw A Job Offer For .05 Per 45 Black Characters?
Apr 11, 2010

This pay sounds horrible. ...

Medication For Black Tongue
Jun 03, 2010

Doctor has a patient with a black tongue secondary to medication.  He gives her a prescritpion for what s/l "mycolatrocious" to apply q.i.d. to the tongue.  I rarely have a med I can't find but this one has me stumped!  Any suggestions?? ...

Visible Black Chacters
Mar 26, 2012

I am seeing some companies pay based on VBC but the line counts vary greatly.  Does anyone get paid this way and what is considered decent.  I have seen 5cpl for 43 character lines but have also seen 7 cpl for a 65 character line.  Help! ...

Does Accentus Only Pay For Black Characters? Nm
Jun 08, 2012

nm ...

Black Screen Of Death?
Jul 12, 2012

? ...

Citrix Black Screen
Apr 01, 2013

Anyone out there use Citrix and get a black screen instead of log in screen? Any help greatly appreciated!! ...

Politically Correct - AA Versus Black
Feb 15, 2012

Do you change "black" to African American?  ...

IRS DEFINITION-IC STATUS BLACK & WHITE
Jul 10, 2012

Independent Contractor Defined   People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individu ...

Is There Any Truth To A No-hire Black List?
Mar 19, 2014

I have worked for 20+ years with two companies and had good reviews and made good money.  No problems with meeting production.  Left one of the big 2 companies last January after pay cuts, nothing nasty, I just kindly and sincerely expressed my opinion why I was leaving.  Since then I've applied with 3 or 4 other companies, was told by one I was on *do not hire list*, but was never given a reason why.  Is there something I can do here?  I'm a good employee and ...

Male Patient Under Past Medical History - S/l *polysectomy Nuvera*??? Thanks. Nm
Apr 04, 2010

nm ...

Elderly Male HEENT Exam: He Has Mild *lannel Fimur.* Thanks. Nm
Jul 15, 2010

nm ...

This Is An Elderly, White Male In No Acute Distress, Pleasant (this Historian)
Feb 26, 2012

This is an elderly, white male in no acute distress, pleasant (this historian?). pleasant ex-historian? Can't figure it out:( Please help? ...