A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Past or present tense voice - TenseMT

Posted: May 07, 2010

Okay, I have been very confused about this lately.  When a doctor is reviewing medical reports from other providers and is documenting it within his report, should it be done in present tense or past tense??? I think that it should be done all in the past tense, but I have had arguments for both.  Basically, I just want the right answer. 

For example, "The patient was seen on 06/10/09 and stated that he had right leg pain.  The report indicated that the patient had an antalgic gait."  (my preference)

OR

The patient is seen on 06/10/09 and states that he had right leg pain.  The report indicates that the patient had an antalgic gait

Aaahhhhh...My doctor keeps switching from one tense to the next and I am just trying to keep some form of consistency,although it makes more sense to note the above in past tense since it did actually occur in the past.  What do you think????

I tend to do it as dictated - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
For me... it is easier just to use whatever tense he is dictating it as, unless you are specifically told to 'make it match' in which case past tense definately sounds better

Past Tense - For Clarity

[ In Reply To ..]
Change all the "old" findings to past tense. They could be mistaken for current findings otherwise.

IMHO - Bad Rabbit

[ In Reply To ..]

As far is the first portion goes, I would have to be certain of when the patient made the statement.  The patients states he had right leg pain when he was seen 00/00/0000, or when the patient was seen on 00/00/000 he stated he had right leg pain?

As far as the second portion, did the information in the report change from the original visit, or does the report still indicate the same thing as he reads it presently?

Unless I could be positive of the intent of the dictator, I would not change this passage from the way it was originally dictated.  As dictated, the passage is ambiguous and somewhat awkward but does not require you (the MT) to make a decision as to the intent of the dictator.

Just my stinky opinion...others may vary.

Similar Messages:

What Is The Past Tense Of I&D
May 03, 2011

I was going to go with I&Dd, but that doesn't look right.  Or spelled out would be "The patient had an abscess that was incision and drained"?  That doesn't look right either, but just unsure. ...

Is There A Past Tense Of The Word Tumescent?
May 22, 2010

Upon completion of the plication, I then "tumesced" the area and performed liposuction in the bilateral hip region and pubic area. I can't document that as a word!!   ...

David Cohen CEO (past Tense)
Aug 31, 2010

I was just reading an old post about Cohen.  I remember him also. Yes, I was very embarrassed too when I had to put that I was employed (past tense - I am GONE!)...at MQ.  Especially when the interviewer at the hospital I was applying to said THEY CAUGHT MQ DOUBLE AND TRIPLE BILLING THEM!!!!!...and had cancelled their contract with MQ because of it.They are thieves and should all go to prison for fraud and theft.  ...

To Transcend TLs, Past Or Present
Apr 12, 2011

What are the biggest challenges with your position?  Do you end up putting in more hours than you feel well compensated for?  Does it wear you out trying to keep up with your production as well as do your TL duties?  Is it more difficult to get vacation time scheduled as a TL?  TY! ...

Anyone Heard Of GO Partners, Past Or Present?
Sep 13, 2011

Has anyone heard of GO Partners, past or present?  Not much in the archives.  Good, bad, American company?  They had a posting listed but now it is down.  Just wondering... ...

Questions For Past/present Auditors
Mar 24, 2014

Couple of questions for any past/present auditors: 1. How long were you with MM before you moved to the auditing department? 2. Were you actively seeking the move or were you offered it out of the blue? 3. Are you making more or less than you were on production? 4. Do you focus on a certain number of accounts similar to HDS/SHDAs or are you required to cover whatever comes across your desk at any given time?   Thanks! ...

United Transcription - Info From Past Or Present Employees
Dec 23, 2014

Any info from past or present employees working with United would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Voice Recognition - Power Scribe Several Times In The Past 4 Years
Oct 18, 2010

Have tried Power Scribe several times in the past 4 years.  I am curious why and how anyone can stand not being able to use their foot pedal and keyboard in the normal way.  Case in point is if the dictation is not clear, you cannot back up a few words.  Instead, you have to go all the way to the beginning again.  Need some insight here.   ...

S/l ?tenth/tense Tonsils
Nov 19, 2011

Full sentence: On examination, she had very large (tenth/tense/??) tonsils, grade 5/5 on the left and 4/5 on the right.   Thanks!  ...

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

Tarichium Present In The Eye
Oct 14, 2009

He has no pinguecula or 'tarichium' present in the eye. ...

My Present Pet Peeve
Oct 09, 2012

We dont get paid for ADT information,,YET I got back a report I sent through QA and it said I have to fix all the ADT information with ? next to the docs, that is like every report..what the heck? ...

Blood Work - Few Lu Present
Feb 22, 2010

In the blood work, he says there were a few Lu (Lew?) present as well as spherocytes.    TIA!   ...

S/l Caudal Leedens Or Calcium Present In The Placenta
Dec 23, 2009

. ...

Radiology Report...(s/l Starney) Sutures Are Present.
Jan 23, 2012

HISTORY: Congestive heart failure. MRI FINDINGS: Slight cardiac silhoutette noted.(s/l starney) sutures are present. *I have exhausted my resorces and still can't tell what he's referring to. ...

S/l Kan-ay-duh Like Strut Grafting And Lateral Fusion Present 11 To 2.
Jul 12, 2013

Kin-ay-duh is what the word sounds like  ...

On ECG, Ht Bundle Branch Block Pattern Present With Secondarys/l "polarization" Changes As
May 12, 2010

There is a minimally rightward axis.  There is a right bundle branch block pattern present with secondary polarization changes as well. ...

ENT Help:) There Was Noted "sonequiae" Present In The Right Nasal Cavity Of The Right Inf
Nov 01, 2011

nm ...

There Are At Least 8 Masses Present Involving "the 2-o'clock To 6:30 Positions",
Apr 04, 2012

? ...

S/l HEENT: "circumal" Movements Present
Oct 16, 2009

Any ideas what this could be? Thanks, Abby ...

She Has Had **MRI's** In The Past
Feb 02, 2010

x   ...

PAST
Mar 30, 2012

The patient underwent a "PAST".  It's an OB/GYN procedure.   TIA  :) ...

Bye-bye Past --- OMG Seriously?
Apr 12, 2012

Just when I think I can't possibly be more amazed by the ineptitude of this ASR program. ...

How Do I Look Up Past Reports?
Mar 03, 2010

They said we would be able to look up past reports on specific patients and by specific docs, but I don't know how.  Anyone? ...

Does Anyone Use EMDAT Or Have In The Past?
Mar 17, 2010

Does anyone use EMDAT or have in the past?  What do you think about it?  Thanks for any information. ...

Atrocities Past
Mar 23, 2010

I just remembered the Impact Room.  I wonder how many trial-and-error programs we've been through over the past couple years.  They must have a whole team of people who sit around all day and come up with one scheme after another, all of which are eventually scrapped.    ...

Past/Passed
May 21, 2010

Rigor mortis had passed/past in all extremities. ...

Past/passed Help Please
Jul 19, 2010

used a 5-French Glide catheter and thru this passed a Spartacore wire into the popliteal artery past the stenosis.....Is this correct or am I losing my mind with these passed/past??? ...

Has Anyone In Recent Past Been In A
Aug 22, 2010

It is about group being out of work.  Just curious. ...

Past Pointing
Dec 31, 2010

For those of you who have been wondering about "past pointing", it really is that.  The doctor actually spelled it out!  ...