A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are cranial nerves no longer roman numerals? - I see it both ways now.

Posted: Feb 25, 2015

xx

cranial nerves - same as disc/disk below

[ In Reply To ..]
Both are acceptable, go with whatever your account specifies.

Roman - Round the mulberry bush

[ In Reply To ..]
Damn those cranial nerves. In the past 20 years (depending on where I worked), I was told they are Roman Numerals mostly, then one company said they are numeric numbers - so I go with what I first learned over 25 years ago - Roman Numerals!

Dorothy - Round the mulberry bush

[ In Reply To ..]
Damn those cranial nerves. In the past 20 years (depending on where I worked), I was told they are Roman Numerals mostly, then one company said they are numeric numbers - so I go with what I first learned over 25 years ago - Roman Numerals!

Dorothy - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]

Don't you think anything has changed over the - last 25 years.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been working since 1972, and I go with the changes. The trend has long been to replace Roman numbers with Arabic. Were you working when we used type I and type II diabetes, and it was officially changed in the 1980s.

Even grammar rules are different (less complex) than what I learned in 7th grade grammar classes.

Get with it, lady. Times change.

I don't know any more, but - my feeling is

[ In Reply To ..]
why should they be Roman numerals? I think you are going to see RNs used less and less for anything because people simply won't know what they are.

Similar Messages:

Cranial Nerves - Arabic Or Roman #s - ADHI?
May 20, 2010

I need documentation about cranial nerves.  Got QA edited from using roman numerals, i.e. cranial nerves II through XII versus cranial nerves 2 through 12.  According to my notes, either is okay, but QA said preferred way is 2 through 12, and I got "edited" for it.  Ugh. Anybody?  Thanks.  ...

Cranial Nerves.....
Nov 10, 2009

I'm thinking the BOS says that both ways are acceptable.... am I wrong?   Cranial nerves II through XII. Cranial nerves 2-12.     ...

Roman Numerals As Ordinals - Sm
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone got a solid reference for this?  D:  "Exam reveals a sixth nerve palsy." Does it stay as an unadulterated Roman numeral ("...a VI nerve palsy"), get a superscript "th" (which formatting our system doesn't retain) or does it change to word (as above)?  Thanks! ...

Sleep Stages - Roman Or Arabic Numerals?
Aug 05, 2012

All literature, including internet, seems to use arabic numerals instead of Roman numerals. Cannot identify who originated sleep stage classification to definitively determine which. Anyone out there know? ...

Are Ortho Grades And Types Roman Numerals Or Arabic
Oct 26, 2010

Are ortho grades and types Roman numerals or Arabic?  ...

How Do We Write Stages Of Labour? ARABIC OR ROMAN NUMERALS?
Jul 23, 2014

how to write stages of labour:  stage 1,2,3 or I, II, III? ...

Spanish Dictator. Cranial Nerves Exam - Smaller Right Pupil, No Ptosis, No Change In "sweating
Aug 15, 2014

x ...

Pt Iwth Brain Cancer, Dictated, "he Had Deficits In Cranial Nerves II, III, IV, VI V2"
May 23, 2011

he had deficits in cranial nerves II, III, IV, VI V2.  In previous dictation, by a different doctor, it was dictated "cranial nerves II, III, IV, VI, and V branch 2" ...

How Should Numerals Next To Numerals Be Written Out For Medications?
Jun 20, 2012

Doc dictates "omega-3 1000 mg, vitamin B12 1000 mcg, vitamin D3 2000 international units" My feeling is maybe it should be expanded to "omega-3 one-thousand mg, vitamin B12 one-thousand mcg, and vitamin D3 two-thousand international units," but that feels wrong.   Anyone have any suggestions? ...

Can You Combine Numerals And # In A List?
Aug 08, 2012

can you mix them, or do they have to be all numerals or all #?  thanks ...

Cranial Exam Help Please Sm
Aug 18, 2010

Cranial nerves intact.  Motor power symmetrical.  Normal gait.  Negative Romberg's test.  Normal cerebellar testing without dysmetria and dysdiadochokinesia.     Doc says "template neurologic normal.  Cranial nerves intact except for the hearing loss"  What part of this template would you take out.     This is a new doc for me.  Thanks ...

Maybe I'm Having Cranial Flatus....Retro-ly
Aug 04, 2011

I am doing an OP report that is not a strict verbatim and is able to be corrected to best English.  The dictator says:  Tibial guide retrocut was placed, drilled, and then reamed "retro-ly".  He stumbled around a bit before settling on "retro-ly" because he, too, knew that couldn't be correct, but he, like me, has blanked on what the heck it should be.  Plantar is plantarly, lateral is laterally....what does retro become?  Does it just get stretched out to retrograd ...

Basal Versus Basilar Cistern In Cranial CT
Nov 17, 2009

In a cranial CT I have always transcribed "basal" cistern, but in the report I have, the doctor clearly is stating "basilar" cistern.  The Stedman's electronic dictionary I have shows "basal" cistern also.  Can someone tell me which is correct, or are they interchangeable?  Thank you. ...

In Cranial Nerve Exam Patient Has *cysgingeal* Hyperplasia?? Thanks. Nm
Apr 01, 2011

nm ...

Question About Grade, Arabic Or Roman...sm
Nov 01, 2012

I was always taught that grade is always arabic and stage Roman but someone recently told me that is not the case for orthopedic terms, grade III spondylolysis and grade III medial meniscus tear.  Does anyone know if this is correct? ...

Kidney Disease Class -- Roman Or Arabic?
Oct 29, 2009

I've seen kidney disease classifications both Arabic and Roman.  Which is correct?  I've been using Arabic, but I just had an editor change a report to Roman.  I'm confused and can't find it in BOS2.  Thanks! ...

Liver Segments Numeric Or Roman Numeral?
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone know if it matters if the liver segments are roman numerals or numeric?  If you know the answer, give reference to where you find it.  Thanks ...

Neck Dissection Levels - Arabic Or Roman? Nm
Oct 10, 2013

. ...

Obtuse Marginal Branches - Roman Or Arabic Numbers?
Feb 24, 2010

Is it "left circumflex obtuse marginal II" or "left circumflex obtuse marginal 2"?  Thanks.  ...

Stage Kidney Disease - Arabic Or Roman? (not Cancer)
May 26, 2013

Nothing in BOS, at least that I could find. Couldn't find anything on Loma Linda University site. Don't recognize the Google hits for arabic.  Anyone know?  Thanks.  ...

Fluoroscopically Target Starting At Level I - Arabic Of Roman?
Jun 26, 2015

Also this is treatment for renal calculus, I guess lithotriptsy, but in the name of the procedure he mumbles something starting in what S/L "He______".  Any ideas.  Thank you!  ...

No Longer With MM
Jun 27, 2015

I am so thankful that I am no longer with MM.  I quit in May and it is the best decision I have made in a very long time.   I got so tired of the unreasonable hours, the constant changing of hours/days.  I got tired of the threats about quality (which is definitely unrealistic), then you get the threats about not having enough lines.  I don't have to tell all of you what  a terrible journey it is with MM.  It is the kiss of death and it will never be any b ...

Cranial Nerve Exam- No Abnormal "sigh-cat-ick" Movement
Jun 08, 2010

nm ...

Bladder Tumor, "cranial/clanial" To The Rt Orifice Sm
Jun 18, 2015

There were two small areas of recurrence, each less than 1 cm, one in the right bladder wall, s/l "cranial/clanial" to the right orifice.  He is stuttering/changing his mind, which makes it even worse. My first thought was clinging, but I hear "ial or eal" at the end.  Thanks!  ...

I Can't Wait Any Longer!!!
Apr 19, 2010

Okay! I've had enough.  I was going to hang in longer but I am now being Aggressive and sending my resume out!  I won't be doing MT work anymore -- that's for sure!  Perhaps working at the local community college if not for the government.  At this point, I don't really care what I do because anything is better than this!  WooHoo!  It's a AHAA movement for me.  It won't be long now.  Best of luck to those who chose to stay wit ...

Are We No Longer Getting Break Pay?
Aug 17, 2012

I noticed today that the break pay section of the timesheet was gone today and when I clocked off a minute ago after working for 7 hours that in the "break" box, it said 0.00, when usually it would be 0.33.  Anyone know?  I know it's not a lot of money, but I usually get about 3 hours per pay period and about $30.  I would hate to lose that, cause every dollar counts. ...

How Much Longer Will This Continue?
Jan 25, 2013

I'm told the low volumes are due to the time of the year. I just don't remember this happening in past years. My time sheet has 10-15 entries by the time of the day - this is nuts. Can't take no pay, can't use up all my PTO in a week. Seriously, what are we supposed to do? ...

I Cannot Do This Any Longer, Having Points Taken Off Because
Mar 06, 2014

of leaving out the word "a", this is ridiculous. Whenever I think about quitting I feel happy; whenever I think about working I feel sad, micromanaged. Life is TOO short. Just my short rant. ...

I Am No Longer A MT- Tomorrow Will
Sep 30, 2014

my new life of not dealing with trying to produce a medical report for a MTSO to look good and make profit.  How things have changed in the medical world and it is getting ulgier by the day.  The demands put on MTs are totally unreasonable.  I am walking away because of retirement and I am thankful I can.  I honestly do not know if I could survive under the stress of trying to produce perfection for such minimal pay and know that a MTSO is making as much as me for each line I ...

S/l "Yeoman's 7th Cranial Nerve Palsy."
Oct 21, 2009

I have a doc who sounds like he is saying "YEOMAN'S 7th cranial nerve palsy."  He has used it before.  I cannot figure it out or find it (all I come up with is Bell's, and that is not what he is saying) and it has never been corrected on feedback, so apparently the editors don't know it, either.  He has a strong middle eastern accent so this may be throwing me off.  Any suggestions  would be much appreciated.  Thank you. ...