A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wiping older XP computer clean - blondie

Posted: Dec 30, 2011

I have an XP computer that I no longer use.  I have a Vista I am currently using.  The XP had gotten slow, was freezing up constantly, etc.  On Vista, you can wipe the hard drive clean back to its condition when it was new, but I believe you have to have the CD to do this on XP.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can start over with the XP if I don't have a CD to do it?  I would like to get the computer hooked back up and have 2 computers. 

restore option - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an HP and so this may be specific only to this particular brand, but when you are booting the computer up, at the very beginning for about 5 seconds there is a black screen that has options for you to hit such as F10, F12, etc. One of those usually says restore function. You have to be quick and basically hold down that function key, but that brings up the restore function that is located on a locked partition on your hard drive. This will restore it to the factory defaults.

CCleaner - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think CCleaner, formerly known as Crap Cleaner, from Piriform Software, will do it for you. Even if you already it, you will benefit from using CCleaner every week or few days. It eliminates the letover mess that slows everything down.

Look it up on Wikipedia. It is free with the full version for a small cost. Easy to use. Effective. Safe. I swear by it, as do a lot of computer people I know.

Even if you already fixed your computer, get this to keep it clean and fast. I use it on an XP and can really tell the difference if I forget to run it for a few weeks.

After doing that, also remember to optimize your hard drive for better performance--defragment it. This is different than reformatting. Defragmenting just rearranges the information so like is with like. It allows faster access for better performance.

CCleaner - THANK you!!

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an old laptop with XP that I used to keep as an emergency backup for work, but the darned thing had gotten so slow that I thought about just getting rid of it or giving it away. With nothing to lose, I tried CCleaner, as you suggested. Now it runs perfectly and quickly! Thank you SO much! :)

CCleaner - THANK you...p.s.

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh...by the way...that old laptop with XP? I suppose I could have restored the laptop to its factory configuration (I have the disks somewhere) but I also had my Stedman's dictionary and drug book on it and would have lost those. I had planned to restore factory settings if I ended up giving it away. You saved me some $$$ :)

Similar Messages:

Best Way To Clean A Flat Screen Monitor?
Nov 29, 2011

I try not to even touch the monitor too much because of the plasma (or whatever it is inside there) but my flat screens could really use some cleaning.  What do you use to clean yours?  One of ours even has a smudge of nail polish on it where one of the girls pointed at something and and her nail polish rubbed off on the monitor.  Help!!! ...

Obstinate Doctor Refuses To Clean Up Dictation
May 01, 2015

MTSO suit tries to go to bat for us and asks if he would slow down.  He won't. Makes you wonder who he is really battling here, as we are just trying to do a good job for him.  I don't understand this mentality at all.  We could save him a future lawsuit perhaps. Anyone know why they won't change their style?  Why they would dig in their heels in this way?  I have a pat paragraph for his Physical Exam I was artful enough to glean through with a fine-toot ...

Older Folks
Oct 26, 2011

Anyone in their 60's (I'm 66) who is studying to become a coder?  If I begin with Andrews, I will be probably 68 when I'm ready to apply for a job.  Is this realistic, or should I save my money?  Thanks. ...

Testing For Older MTs
Mar 26, 2013

Okay. I've been out of MT school for 40 years (seriously). That was when it was Secretarial School. Now the new testing on some sites SUCKS.. Instead of just having us transcribe in the objective - they have those idiot grammar questions. Well after all these years I find some of the things on that stupid. I have passed two and failed two. How can I have different results for different companies. Run on sentence, fragmented sentence - really - we type and edit (if allowed) as they d ...

Re: Companies Discriminating Against Older MTs...
Oct 18, 2010

I don't know any young people who are even slightly interested in MTing.  Don't you think the companies have very little to choose from except old people to do MT anymore? ...

Have Any Of You Found That As You've Gotten Older, Other Variables Aside... Sm
Oct 13, 2011

that it's harder to pull these lines? Don't get me wrong, my speed has also been impacted by some of the changes that we've seen in the industry over the last few years, but I just don't have the energy, so to speak, that I had when I was younger to crank out lines in a high-producer range.  It's so tiring to try to maintain a steady frenzied pace for eight hours.  I'm not a machine.  Just don't know what to do. I need the money, but I just can& ...

Older (age) MTs Leaving Questions
Sep 20, 2012

Okay, I have a question for those of you 55+ that have or are considering leaving the MT world.  I have been considering it myself but I'm afraid at this age to go back to school for anything else.  Already did that for MT and well everyone knows how that is going these days for most, so very scared to jump on that again along with the cost versus expectations of working, getting hired, and length of employment, etc.  (Not to mention at this point my memory is terrible as wel ...

I Am On An Older Version Of DQS With A Hospital And I Am Having
Oct 31, 2012

tremendous lag in upload and download.  Not sure what to do.  I am having Comcast out here and call MQ but so far no luck finding out what caused this. ...

How Do You View Older Messages?
Apr 24, 2013

(Like, say, from yesterday). ...

Maybe I'm Just Getting Soft-hearted In My Older
Jun 05, 2014

More and more I find it difficult to not shed tears during a report of a baby being sick or of a spouse who is struggling and depressed after losing their loved one. Especially hard when the dictator has to pause to gain composure before continuing.   ...

A "clean Key" 20-gauge Needle Was Inserted
Nov 10, 2010

I am new to surgery transcription, and on top of it, the doctor is an ESL.  I am assuming the "clean" part is correct, just can't get the second part.  Sounds like "key".  Thanks for any help.  The skin is marked and the skin is prepped with Betadine, then 1% lidocaine plain is injected into the subcu, then a "clean key" 20-gauge needle, with double tip was utilized. ...

Express Scribe - Anyone Know Where I Can Get An Older Version Of This?
Mar 26, 2010

got new computer and uploaded express scribe but the new version seems to take FOREVER to load up my dss files.  I miss my old version!!!  Anyone know where I can find an older version to download?   Thanks!!! ...

Older Rheumatoid Arthritis Medication?
Sep 23, 2010

Does anyone know of an older RA medication that s/l kolt?  The only reason it was stopped is b/c there were newer medications available and I can't find anything, given that she sould be saying just about anything that starts with a "k" sound and has one syllable.  Thanks! ...

Express Scribe Older Versions
Jul 29, 2013

I've read posts that suggest downloading older versions if the newest version causes trouble with files (which it is).  Yesterday I tested with a really great company that I hope to work for.  There were 4 test files on MTTest that I used Express Scribe 5.57 (newest version, free 14-day trial).  One test made it through, but the other 3 did not.  I did keep getting kicked out of the company's website after test dictation.  Then I'd come back in and go thro ...

Does Anyone Have An Older Version Of Express Scribe
Aug 28, 2014

Mine got deleted after I had to get a complete reinstall. It's not on either of my flash drives, it's gone. Does anyone have a copy of an older version with less complicated features and crap that I can get a copy from you, please? This program is no longer truly free. You download the "free" version and in 14 days you are locked out of it unless you pay. You can't use "all the features" which simply means the foot pedal option does not work anymore. This company d ...

Need Info On MTS Of Texas - Older Posts Are In Archive
Jul 28, 2010

Need to know if the situation has improved at MTS?   Would appreciate any elaboration by MTs who are there and making this company work for them.   Thank you - MT is Me ...

Any Current Info On Inscribe? All I See Are Older Posts
Aug 14, 2014

nm ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Need New Computer
Dec 26, 2009

I need a new computer however I need to have XP for EXText.  Wondering which way I should go--- Dual boot or have 2 separate hard drives, one for XP and the other for Windows 7 Professional?  Any advice? ...

Mq Computer
May 10, 2010

I leave my computer up and running all the time.  In the past week every morning I am having to reboot because I get an error saying "insufficient system resources to perform this action."  As soon as it finally reboots, then everything is fine, I can log onto DQS and type all day with no problems.  Then it sits again all night, and the same thing happens the next morning. Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Tech support has already increased the virtual memory capa ...

How Many Of You Use Your MQ Computer...
May 17, 2010

for other things besides work such as another job, internet shopping, banking, facebook, etc.? ...

Help - New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

I got a new computer today and when my first job comes up the ADT info is at the top of the page.  Can you tell me how to get it off.  Also how to I make the print on my screen larger?  TIA ...

Computer Age VS 6.1
Sep 10, 2010

I was just wondering how old some computers are that are having problems with 6.1 and if there are people with newer computers that handles it better.  Mine is a MQ computer that is 4 years old now and it bogs down quite a bit.  Everything is sluggish now.  I do have 1 GB of ram and 1.84 GHz, so 6.1 shouldn't take a toll on it as bad as it is.  I'm just wondering if I should ask the Q for an upgrade, if that is the problem.  Knowing the RAM and proces ...

Help MQ Computer
Sep 16, 2010

Need help! I don't use an MQ computer, since they don't want you to put anything personal on it, and most of my life, including banking, is on my computer.   My 4-year-old computer crashed and is in the shop for a couple days, and I decided maybe it's time to get a new one.  The problem is, DQS requires a 32-bit system, and so far all the new computers I've found are all Windows 7, which is 64 bits.   I also want to get a slimline, since it kills my ...

Is It Just My Computer?
Sep 20, 2010

I turned off the "check as you go" spelling feature to get rid of that distracting wiggly red line.  When I upload a document, and a mis-spelling is picked up, what's with all the lame suggestions.  I mean either there just aren't any suggestions at all for a simple mis-spelled word with a single wrong letter, or just a simple word.  What happened to the old Q dictionary?  It seems every 5 years their dictionary gets worse.  When I started 10 years ag ...

Using MQ Computer
Dec 01, 2010

I am looking at quitting MQ, and I'm using their computer...do you think they'll let me buy the computer from them????  I can't imagine it's cheap to mail it back to them, and will need a computer for my new job. ...

Computer Needs
Jun 06, 2011

Does anyone use a Mac for medical transcription with Windows XP and MT software that requires nothing newer than XP?  Also any experience with Windows XP and Medrite XL on a newer computer using Windows 7 and virtual xp?  Needing advice before replacing my old computer, which I'm afraid might give out.   I would just load XP but supposedly will be transferring to software compatible with Windows 7 sometime in the future.   Any ideas appreciated.    ...

Lap Top Computer
Oct 03, 2011

Does anyone transcribe on a laptop computer and take your work with you when you travel? ...