A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Heard of "Med Transc from A to Z" ??? - momgenet

Posted: Apr 26, 2010

Hello there!
I am new around here.
I have been considering training as a MT for some time now. I was looking at colleges that offer this program such as Everett College in WA.
I went to a seminar this weekend and met a lady named Deborah Burns who has written "Medical Transcription from A to Z" This is a do at home training course that some of the colleges use. It is significantly cheaper than the 9 month college certificate. AND she stated that if you do well enough on the assignments, you can work for her company based in Arizona.
So while I like the formality of the college. I recognize that having a possibility of job placement at the end is incredible. Deborah stated that most companies only half look at your training, but experience is of the number one importance. From what I have read, she seems correct.
Anyway, I am a bit torn on what to do here. Have any of you heard of the "A to Z" course or Deborah's Touch in AZ ??? Any advice you can give her is helpful.
I am mostly looking for stay at home work when I am finished, though would like the flexibility to be able to walk into a hospital and work as well. The hospitals here locally won't even look at you unless you have 2 to 5 years experience. But mostly I am a mom to special needs kids.
So . . . . . .what would you do if it were you ????

Thanks
genet

You cannot learn medical transcription with a do it at home transcription - 30+ years MT

[ In Reply To ..]
course by book. You must actually hear tapes to learn transcription;i,e. to hear to medical terminology words in the context in which they are used. I would get something in writing that says this woman will hire you. Finally, find another career other than medical transcription as so many things are changing that you cannot make the money you have been promised because of voice recognition and off-shoring of transcription work.

? There are hours and hours of "tapes" with this course. - momgenet

[ In Reply To ..]
Well.
I realize the gambles involved.
However, this course involves over a 100 hours of SUM dictation. And yes, they use actual "tapes," even from ESL doctors.
If you are not familiar with this course, that is fine. It is offered as part of the curriculum at several colleges, it seems, so I thought someone here might have first hand knowledge.
Thank you .

Genet - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I would run as fast as my little legs could take me. I would do some research and find a program that uses the SUM program and get a good, solid MT background. I would remind myself that you get what you pay for. There is a reason that is it significantly cheaper. Cheaper does not equal better. Save your money. Good luck to you!

It seems likely - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
that the low price is going to be the deciding factor for you, so about all experienced MTs can do is wish you luck. After all, it is much better to take the advice of the person who is trying to sell you something than that of people who know what they're talking about and have no financial interest in persuading you to do one thing over another.

Just out of curiosity, when you're doing your "teach yourself" MT course, how are you going to know when you're hearing something incorrectly, or what will you do when you just can't figure it out? One assumes that there are keys that go along with the tapes, but how will you know they're right?

Would you want someone with that kind of training transcribing your medical records? Just sayin'.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do.

My opinion - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like a scam to me. I am a Washington State resident and would suggest that you consider the Everett Community College program. They partner with Career Step for their Medical Billing and Coding course and I would assume that the transcription curriculum is good as well. You'll have much more success landing a hospital job if you attend an accredited school than you will with any "do it yourself" program. Best wishes and good luck.

Do you know? - momgenet

[ In Reply To ..]
When I spoke with Deborah Burns, the author of this course, she had nothing bad to say about the colleges, such as Everett.
She did say to use a program that uses the SUM tapes, as you have stated. She also recommended a program that had an internship at the end. Experience seems to matter a great deal with this type of work. Anon, do you know if Everett has that type of program ??? Or are there any other training programs that offer the internship??? I prefer a paid one !!! :)

Everett - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I am unsure if Everett has an internship program for MTs but I think they offer job placement assistance. I had an unpaid internship at a hospital when I finished my program and then was hired full-time but that was years and years ago. You can visit the EvCC web site or e-mail the program instructor/advisor to get more information. I would personally be leery of anyone who promised you a job at the end of your training, that just sounds too good to be true. We're all just saying to be careful and research everything carefully before making a commitment.
Internship - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
My MT internship was a requirement of the program, we had to do it in order to graduate, I think they considered it practicum in those days. I just happened to fall into the job. Someone in that hospital must have considered me employable and I worked for them for 5 years.
I see required internships is almost like a pyramid scheme - the first in do fine - See message please
[ In Reply To ..]
Let's say the company that you intern with has 20 interns. They have 7 job openings, but only 3 are appropriate for a new grad, intern or not. They hire the 3 top grads, and the other 17 interns are sent off to find jobs.

They put on their resumes that they did an internship with XYZ company and immediately the hiring employers wonder why they weren't kept, was something wrong with their skills or did they have a bad work ethic? They wonder why they should take the discards that the internship employer didn't want.

I don't see that as a good thing. If someone is a graduate from a program that teaches, they should be ready for a starting job. On the other hand, if they graduated from a school that didn't have very much graded transcription experience, no internship in the world is going to correct that.

Just the way I've always looked at it. I wouldn't hire a graduate that wasn't selected by the people who trained them.
Internship - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Whatever; I was 19 years old, had just completed my training and the college sent me on an intership. I went to a hospital medical transcription department (I was the only intern in that department), they liked me, thought I had potential and offered me a job. How many MTs do you know who leave school knowing all there is to know about acute care transcription? Whether or not the other interns in the class found jobs was not my problem.

I would go for a job instead of a required internship - just me though

[ In Reply To ..]
I would run away from any school that requires you to do an internship, because that's a sure sign that they don't think you will be employable when you finish. They depend on the internship to train you, and that rarely works very well. I wouldn't do it that way.

Please take advice - Just Saying

[ In Reply To ..]
Please consider what Old MTSO had to say. I've read a few of her posts and she gives some pretty good advice. I want to piggy back on what Ann had to say about companies who are trying to sell you a product versus the advice of an experienced MT. I'm speaking as one who wishes I had found this board prior to enrolling in a school for the cheaper tuition. I could have saved money and time. Please research thoroughly any school that you are considering. In addition to that check out the Federal Trade Commission website. It gives a lot of good information about what's required for online schools. What I found on that site was a real eye opener. Take a good look at it and you'll have a better idea of what to look for in a school. Check out the school's reputation with the BBB. Also check the Federal Trade Commission website because they also have a role. The information is there to inform and protect consumers and that's what you are when you're buying a course. I'm just saying that it's a good idea to get as much knowledge as possible when you're considering a school other than those that have been AHDI approved. If medical transcription is really for you, I wish you the best of luck in finding a good school

OK . . . .hold on . . . . - momgenet

[ In Reply To ..]
Hold on. You may not realize that I became interested in the Everett College program BECAUSE it IS approved by AHDI. So yes, I am listening and taking matters to heart. Price is really not a deciding factor for me. My current employer has offered a scholarship. Everett College uses the Career Step materials, yet it is an online course though. In fact, if I take ANY course at all, it will have to be an online course, as there isn't any college offering this course within four hours driving distance of me.
Currently, I am looking for a good course with an guaranteed internship.
I see that MediTech is one of these. Has anyone here heard of that one ???
I see they offer the intership.
Thanks for your help!!! :)

Meditech - Prov 31 woman

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes. I went through Meditech. They are an accredited company and you can work for them when you are done IF you score high enough on your final. I didn't care much for their training, but it may be alot different now than when I did it 2 years ago. It it VERY hard to get a job as an entry level MT even if you have an extensive medical background. I know from experience. I am still looking for work from home.
what do you mean by "accredited" company? - accredited
[ In Reply To ..]
Accredited by whom and for what?
They are not accredited or approved by the AHDI.
Meditech - "accredited"--? - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
Could you please explain what "accredited" means in this context? Accredited for what, and by whose authority?

Deborah's Touch - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have known Deborah Burns for quite a while now. I met her back about 18 years ago. I had just had my first child and wanted to work at home so that I could raise my child myself. I started my own transcription service, which I ran successfully for 14 years. I called her a few years after starting my business with a few questions. She was always willing to take time to speak with me and was very helpful. I never took her course, but I know it is legit. In my opinion, she is trustworthy. I just didn't realize she was doing anything outside of AZ. Her business has probably grown so much that she has had to. It's good to hear she has been so successful! Good luck to you! I hope it works out.

Deborah's Touch - anon - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you mean by "legit"? I am sure she is probably the nicest person in the whole wide world, but will her course prepare MTs adequately for today's market? Being trustworthy is one thing; being able to provide a truly comprehensive MT program is another. Why do you think her course is good? What are your reasons? Could you give us some specifics, please? Why have those of us who have been around for so long not heard of it? I am not saying it is good and I am not saying it is not good. I am just trying do learn more about what it is and educate myself about what is out there. Thanks for any concrete information you can provide on this course.

MT Schools - travelinMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just my opinion. I taught a transcription course for 12 years. I implemented the program at a local Adult Ed. School, wrote the curriculum (using (the then AAMT) course guidlines, the SUM program and two different terminology and anatomy sources, one book form and one video form) and we got it approved by the state of California. So I know a little about what I am talking about.

After we finished the terminology and anatomy portion, my students started with the transcription portion of the program using the SUM tapes.

Here is what I heard repeatedly, class after class, from my students.

"Without you lecturing, I never would have learned the terminology". Reading, memorizing, etc. was not teaching them without hearing the pronunciation.

"Without you lecturing, I never would have learned the anatomy because you explaining things to us made it click".

I used newspaper articles, medical articles, everything I could find that I could use as a tool to explain how this word, this system, etc. tied in to make up the entire picture or diagnosis.

So what I am saying is without an actual live person there to explain it, it is hard to put it into perspective.

The other thing to remember (something I learned when I got my teaching credential). There are 3 types of learners in this world. The people that have to read it, the people that have to hear it, and the people that have to physically manipulate it. I incorporated videos, books, lectures, puzzles, word searches, into my lesson plans.

Those are the things that you can't get from an online course, and those are the things that my students told me made it work for them.
I don't enjoy lectures that much, so that wouldn't work as well for me - Different Viewpoint
[ In Reply To ..]
I understand what you are saying and good for you that you provided that kind of training for those who learn best that way.

Lectures bore me because I'm more of a hands-on person. I can read and understand the material without someone standing over me explaining it to me. I know not everyone learns the way I do though and that's why it's great that there are options for everyone.
That would be great . . . .but . . . - momgenet
[ In Reply To ..]
I would LOVE to go to an actual college course and sit through an actual class.
However, the nearest college offering MT classes is about 250 miles away and I am not sure it is that great of a school . . . .
Thanks though for your input

You know . . . . - momgenet

[ In Reply To ..]
I have spoken with Deborah at length both on the phone and in person. I think she has given me some very good advice and knowledge of the profession in general. I have no reason to doubt her honesty. It is highly possible this is a good course.
However, after a lot of looking, I am not sure it is the RIGHT course for me. It seems to be thorough, but of course, a hospital would not recognize my work. So I will probably stick with a AHDI type of school.
momgenet - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
Whether someone is honest or not is not even in question here. What is at stake is you being able to do medical transcription well after you finish any proposed course. I would hope that anyone beginning their MT education would insist that their program has the SUM program incorporated into it. I believe that what the former teacher of MT had to say is truly valuable. You (not you, you, but generic "you") need to actually HEAR the pronunciation. It is much like learning French or Latin or any other language--just reading it from the page without hearing someone who knows what they are doing pronounce things for you won't cut it. Again, for me, it would come down to either Andrews or M-TEC. Why not give yourself the very best odds possible? Good luck to you--I hope you find something that meets your needs.
opinion - opinionated
[ In Reply To ..]
Look. If you do not attend one of the recognized schools, such as, Andrews, MTec or Career Step, you better hope to heck you know someone and are able to secure a job that way because this business is growing extremely narrow and difficult.

I attended Everett Community College and not only do you learn through the Career Step curriculum, but you also take grammar classes, etc., which is of great help if one has been out school for awhile. Listening and transcribing practice dictation is IMPERATIVE, but what was also imperative was having that corrected and being taught why it was being corrected.

Sure, someone might offer you a job, but what happens after that particular job? I highly suggest that if you are going to enter this profession, you do so in a very well-informed and educated manner.
Opinionated - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that you are a very wise person. It is very disheartening to see people saying "I have to get through this course as soon as possible." Where is their commitment to learning? I would not want someone who had taken a "quick and dirty" approach (as we used to say in chemistry) to getting their education to transcribe my medical records. Would they want a physician who went to the cheapest medical school, especially if it were one of dubious reputation? I am hearing less and less that people want to go into MT because of love of language and love of medicine. Unfortunately, the job situation being what it is, the competition is fierce. All that you say in your post is absolutely true. You have a good handle on the state of our profession. I hope that the newbies and wannabes out there reading this will pay attention to what you say and really consider where they are spending their hard-earned dollars when it comes to MT education. I wish them all the best of luck.
Everett - opinionated
[ In Reply To ..]
Old MT--Thank you for the kind post! I appreciate it. I had no clue how difficult this profession was when I entered it, but once I grasped that, I began learning and, as you well know, we continue learning. I believe it's one of the "fun" aspects of our job.
So you would recommend Everett??? Did it prepare you to work? - momgenet
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Everett - Opinionated
[ In Reply To ..]
If I were to begin my MT career again, yes, I would recommend Everett. I used some of those credits as electives and went on to finish my bachelor's degree. At least with attending a community college, you walk away with transferrable college credits. Now, if that is of absolutely no concern to you, I might check out Andrews because I know for a fact that Linda Andrews does an excellent job of preparing her MTs for the real world. I believe both are good.

This is a very fast-changing world. Just yesterday (!) one of my accounts changed with no warning into part voice recognition which is not all negative, but does affect my bottom line. My 2 years out of MT school, I made about minimum wage working for a large national, Spheris, who gave me excellent training, but it was very difficult. Be prepared to not make the $25 and $30 per hour you might have read about.

At Everett, for the 3 semesters I attended, I was with the same group of students and had a good experience. My instructors were MTs themselves and very connected to the real-time world of MT.

Hope this helps you!

Do Not Do It - Sassy Pants

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a bunch of BS!

I went to college for 2 years full-time to get my MT technical diploma and spent a few grand to become an MT. You cannot become an MT in 9 months or with a DIY course. "I can type fast and I watch House so I can be an MT too". NOT. Do not waste your money or your time on it. You have to be smart. Would you go to a doctor who took a weekend course and then wanted to operate on you? I dont think so!

Similar Messages:

I Am Going From Years Of Straight Transc To VR
Jan 09, 2013

Do you listen to whole report, or spot check meds, numbers, etc with the audio? Any tips to improve accuracy and/or speed?  This old dog is going to have to learn some new tricks and I welcome any advice.  Thanks. ...

Changing Fonts In MModal Fluency For Transc Editor
Apr 23, 2013

Does anyone remember how to change the font when working in MModal Fluency for Transc Editor?  I can't find it anywhere.  Thanks in advance. ...

Anyone Heard Of This?
Oct 25, 2009

Okay, am I insane?  The MD is starting a SOAP note of someone having a physical exam to make sure she is safe before receiving sedation for an MRI.  The first sentence is: Patient is here for a pre-NSTA physical.    pre-NSTA???...has anyone heard of that before...done lots of research, but of course, the most hits I get are for the National Science Teachers Association...and I KNOW that is not it...ugh!  Little help please! ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This ?
Nov 11, 2009

After all of these many, many, many, many (okay, you get the point) years of transcribing, my wrists don't hurt, my back doesn't hurt and my neck is still okay, but the one thing that has me really bothered is my heel !!!  It really bothers me lately and I have tried putting a small pillow, a thick piece of flannel and many other things under my heel to alleviate this bothersome pain, but to no avail.  Has anyone got any suggestions or is there some type of heel cup or someth ...

Have You Heard?
Nov 24, 2009

I have tested a few times before on mttest.com, a site that several MT companies use for testing potential MT's, and recently received this piece of information: In sections that require you to type in the correct answer, typing a "Capital" letter in the first letter of your answer constitutes a wrong answer. I don't know if this is accross the board but thought it good info to share. Maybe everyone already knew this, and I can't even remember if I did that on previous tests but i ...

Has Anyone Else Heard This? Sm
Dec 03, 2009

I just heard that the 2 largest MTSOs in the world are approaching virtually every large to medium-sized hospital and medical center in the country with an offer for 10 cpl for transcription.  I'm not even sure who the 2 largest are, but I'm pretty sure one of them is CBay and both are offshore companies to be able to offer that rate.  This is really concerning because this could lower the rates for U.S. MTs even MORE or could literally put all U.S. companies out of ...

Anybody Heard Of MD-IT?
Jan 27, 2010

I've seen them posting but can't find any info. Thanks. ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This???
Feb 12, 2010

Getting fined for not making your line commitment??? ...

Every Heard Of An . . . .
Apr 16, 2010

acoustic neuroma in the FEET?  isn't that usually a Morton's neuroma?  any ideas?  thanking you in advance. ...

Never Heard Of It
Jun 10, 2010

My dictator is referring to something called a "Hospital Pack System" in which he is reviwing a patient's x-ray.  I've never heard of this, let alone have any idea how to spell it.  Can someone help? ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of
Jul 30, 2010

??? ...

Anyone Heard Of TNI?
Jul 31, 2010

I am looking through companies hiring new graduates, and I came across TNI.  I am getting ready right now to apply.  I researched right now and do not see any lawsuits against them or anything. When DIT offered me a job right after I completed my internship (which I did NOT take), I was excited.  Then my adviser told me not to take the job, so I didn't.  She put me with that company because she said it was a great company to intern for, not to work for.  I know I s ...

THis Is What I Heard
Sep 18, 2010

Does this make sense... it is what I heard!!   Patient has held conservative treatment.   Thanks ...

Anybody Heard Of SPi?
Nov 03, 2010

Any current information out there on SPi? ...

Has Anybody Heard Of?
Dec 27, 2010

Has anybody heard of FutureNet Group, Inc.?  Do you know anything about them? They have approached me about working with them and I am looking for any type of feedback available.  Thanks. ...

Anyone Heard Of????
Jan 11, 2011

Has anyone heard of TIFA (or TEFA) anesthesia used for PTA surgery? ...

Never Heard Of This One!
Feb 07, 2011

Dr. says: "has got a little tenderness down over the front of her shin that may be related to exscarlization of blood or bleeding from her incision that runs down along the front of her tibia that has made her periosteum sensitive".   The procedure was a unicompartment arthroplasty 2nd postop visit.  ...

Anyone Ever Heard Of TNI?
Aug 01, 2011

Wondering if anyone has ever heard of this company and your thoughts on them...thanks! ...

Has Anybody Heard From Their CCM
Aug 04, 2011

Just to vent, I fired off a note to my CCM the other day about how disgusted and sickened I was by VD's Q&A article in the Tennessean.  No response yet.  Anybody heard back from their CCM? ...

Anyone Heard Of CLM
Apr 10, 2012

nm ...

Has Anyone Else NOT Heard Anything About
Aug 23, 2012

"up" grading to DQS 7?  My CCM hasn't mentioned anything about it for months. I'm in no hurry.  This account was still on Windows 98 for 2 years while everybody else was on XP. ...

Have You Ever Heard This Before?
Sep 10, 2012

ED dictation.. Infant with fever. Dictator states "the patient was not MOUNTING a blood count" ? That definitely is what he is saying, but I've never heard anyone say that before.. ...

Heard Something That Could Be A
Sep 27, 2012

to escape from MT or supplement, that is patient advocate.  This piece on the radio said there were only a couple hundred or so in the US right now and need could be increasing rapidly.  At this time no licensing or even training required, but a lot of us have already taken on this role with sick relatives, parents, etc.  To me this sounds a lot more interesting than scribe, and could pay better too.  Thoughts?   The only thing is I would not know how to go about getting ...

Never Heard Of This S/l....help? Sm
Oct 15, 2012

Patient's past surgical history significant for a cholecystectomy, appendectomy, eye surgery, a s/l tubular fillaroma.  Any idea?  I'm stumped as it's pretty clear.   ...

Anyone Heard Of 24/7?
Feb 18, 2013

Has anyone heard of a company called 24/7?  Any information you can provide would be appreciated. ...

Has Anyone Heard Of This
May 25, 2013

Heavy smoker with smoker's cough and voice "tamber"?  Very clear English speaking doctor. ...

Has Anyone Heard Of
Nov 10, 2013

There is a legitimate company called rev.com that hires transcriptionists and has good rate of pay. Supposedly, they only hire maybe half of all who apply. It was a small article in AARP magazine by Jean Chatzky (?sp) - she is a financial consultant, I know I have seen her on the news shows so makes me want to believe her. Has anyone heard of this company?? ...

Okay Now I Have Heard It All
Nov 14, 2013

Doctor just dictated speena beef-eda.  What do you know, supposed to be spina bifida.  I just don't get paid enough to translate this stuff.  Never know what's coming next.  ...

Just Heard
Jul 02, 2014

from a doc I have been typing for for a little over a year.  He is saying I am getting some things wrong like MD names and DOB both of which I depend on him to have correct when I am typing and apparently then I am supposed to double check these things in the database every time.  Now I am already paid so little by him as to be making under min wage for everything he wants me to do.  This is so demoralizing.  I need a few words of encouragement to help me feel less like a ter ...

I Think I've Heard Almost Everything Now...
Oct 10, 2014

I'm doing an operative report.  The surgical assistant starts the report and gives the demographic information and then puts the phone down.  Then, the surgeon comes over and starts dictating the surgery.....WHILE THEY ARE DOING A PROCEDURE ON ANOTHER PATIENT!   I didn't believe it yesterday when I had a report for this same surgeon.  Today, I have this person again, and I have heard twice now the surgeon giving directions to the surgical assistant re: positioning ...