A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is rock bottom, anyway? - Stikaforkinme...

Posted: Dec 28, 2011

I worked all day today for less than what I made per day in 1985, at my second-ever transcription job. I hang by a thread to my rental home (already lost home I owned) and belongings, as do so many others...each day I force my gnarled and painful fingers to their respective limits, well beyond their limitations, eeking out just another hour...this hour for the cat's food, another hour to pay the internet bill, so I can work another hour...and so on. I remember when I was in my mid 20's, I had an older friend who told her husband what I was doing for a living, typing at home. He was aghast! He couldn't believe that a smart, young, beautiful woman (his words) was sitting at home, typing for a living. I always remember this response, though I heard it only second-hand, as it struck a chord, even then, although I vehemently defended my actions, or life's choice, at the time, naturally. It made perfect sense at the time, for a variety of highly defendable reasons, to 'work at home,' didn't it? Didn't it? Didn't it once make sense?

Oh yes it certainly did! My how times have changed. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

the good news is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If indeed we have hit rock bottom, which I do think we have, the only way to go is up.

So, lets just go up!

You must be under 40... - Stikaforkinme

[ In Reply To ..]
Love the enthusiasm of youth! Don't change!

You can't say that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If a person is about to be homeless, they don't have time to wait until things rebound. I did that once. I was paralyzed with not knowing what to do, so I did nothing. Bad decision. I paid for it. That's why I'm telling people to find something else if whatever job you have isn't paying your bills, whether it's because you aren't very good at it or because your employer is a bum or because it's just a bad economy. Be proactive!

It did once make sense - Read me

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT since the early 90s. After attending a very good secretarial school (they were still around back then) that required my physical presence and participation (imagine that!), I ended up with a well-respected well-paying CAREER that enabled me, as a young female, fully capable of taking care of myself. I never had the "pleasure" of transcribing on a typewriter; however, the computers when I started out were mouse free (UGH... remember your F key commands?), and the closest thing to an MTSO was a local service that would provide work if you chose that route. I've seen the technology advance to the point that I am more productive than ever... internet eliminating the need to go a facility (which saves the employer money), digital voice eliminating the need for tape pick up/drop off (saves me money, the facility money, and the planet some pollution by not driving), electronic reference and online searching (increases accuracy and productivity), text expanders (REALLY increases productivity), and the list goes on. If I had to guess, I am now producing at least double... if not more... than I was able to when I first started MTing. Of course, the technology and increased productivity as a result should have reduced the number of MT positions available, but I never imagined that my pay would be LESS than what I was making when I first started and my experience having done this for nearly 2 decades would mean squat. I should be making more; I'm doing more for crying out loud! The facilities are saving money as well. How could this be? Well... now it's time to figure the greedy MTSOs into the equation. I feel they are 93% responsible for the state of this industry. I reserve 5% for the "matchbook"/online schools who lure students in based on the promise of "making money from home," 1% for the cheap facilities looking to save a buck while sacrificing quality... 1% for the MTs (yes, us) for not forming some sort of union and setting an acceptable standard of pay/working conditions when we had the ability and standing to do so (this is just my opinion... feel free to rearrange those percentages or throw another entity in there). When you look at the state of this industry now and ask yourself if it made sense, it's hard to answer "yes" without going back and looking at what we had. At one time, I had a well-paying career that gave me the ability to balance home/work/family, I was once respected for what I did, and I was once empowered as a young woman who did not have to rely on a husband or my family or anyone financially. It made perfect sense.

To answer your opening question, IMO, rock bottom isn't when you're broke, and it isn't when you're not respected by others for what you do; it's when you find yourself losing respect for yourself. I've hit bottom, and now I'm just left feeling pissed that I allowed this "career" to make me feel that way. For me, it's time to get out (which is MUCH easier said than done). If you come to the same decision, just know that you're not alone, and there are others going through the same thing.

When something no longer makes sense ... - ILMT

[ In Reply To ..]
... that's when you stop doing it.

Here's the deal. Get a calculator. Figure out what your pay right now would be as an hourly wage. Is it close to minimum wage in your area? Or less? Then take your poor beat-up hands and go apply for minimum-wage jobs in your community. Don't throw up your own roadblocks before you start (I'm too old, I don't know how to do anything else, I've been isolated at home too long, don't have the gas money, et cetera).

See what happens. See what offers you get. Take one that you think won't be too terrible, and remember that it's paying you the same. Work at it for a month; drop your transcription down to part-time if you're allowed that. Or wait to do this until you've filed your tax return and (one hopes) have a small cushion, and cut transcription loose once you have a firm job offer. Issues with transportation and even clothes can be worked out.

To cripple yourself for barely enough money to get by is insane. Most minimum-wage jobs will get you a raise every now and then, and maybe even a shot at advancement. You'll probably never make big bucks, and yes, in this economy even MW jobs are hard to come by. But they exist. All you need is one "yes".

At one time, this field did make sense. For some of us it still does, but the handwriting is on the wall even so. You've hit that proverbial wall. You can either continue painfully eking out an existence until they pull the MT rug out from under you and THEN say "now what?", or step outside your door by choice.

I know. It's easy to say, hard to do. And I don't know where you live or what the opportunities are. But the point is, move toward changing things for yourself however you can, on your terms instead of waiting for the hammer to drop or your hands to freeze up into useless painful claws, whichever comes first.

You didn't make the wrong choice all those years ago. None of us did. But things changed in ways we couldn't possibly foresee. No need to beat yourself up about it; you're beaten up enough by the job itself.

It's the same with jobs like nursing - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Many nurses thought they would be in nursing for the rest of their lives. Then they lifted the wrong patient the wrong way and suddenly they are in pain day and night. For that reason, it's time for that person to do something else, not stay in that miserable predicament. Does that mean that all nurses need to do something else? No, but that one sure does! When it's time to get creative and find solutions for yourself, it's time. Don't wait until it's past time.

It still makes sense for some but never was the job of all jobs for everyone - Perfect Sense

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not hang on if you are really suffering with gnarled and painful fingers and low return on your work. It's time for you to consider doing something else, even if you have to leave your home every day to go to work. If it isn't working, it isn't working. Leave it and never look back! Others will be happy to have the job you are leaving, because what works for one person is a disaster for others. One person's great income is another person's poverty wages. It's all relative. You can do it! Go put on some makeup and simple, basic clothes like a skirt and blouse, and get out there and start interviewing! Your skills should make you eligible for some medical office jobs, but you'll have to go ask for those jobs. They aren't going to come to you. Good luck!!!

Similar Messages:

In Regards To The Field Of American MT Hitting Rock Bottom...
Apr 03, 2010

IMO, and again, this is only my opinion, hitting rock bottom should equate to more than just what we're earning now as individuals.  In order to judge whether or not the FIELD of MT has hit rock bottom in America, we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first times as single people trying to support fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a ...

Rock The Boat...
Apr 16, 2015

Questions from http://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/3rdparty.htm How are/were you paid (salary, hourly, by piece or by job rate)? What is your rate of pay?  Is "I'm not sure" a valid answer? Are you involved in any type of interstate transactions, such as shipping or receiving goods, producing goods, making telephone calls, processing credit cards, etc.?  Yes. Are the hours worked records an accurate reflection of the hours you worked? Do you perform work prior to or after signing in ...

A Rock Song Keeps Going Through My Head
Dec 12, 2011

Dirty Deeds (and they're done dirt cheap) ...

A Rock And A Hard Place
Jul 01, 2014

Which is worse, having no work, or killing yourself for 8 hours to make $50 or $60 and being so resentful and tired that your own physical and mental health is compromised?  Having no work, or watching the sites you've just mastered disappear to India (or back into your MTSO's newbie queue), only to be replaced by worse sites with new learning curves and back to square one again?  Having no work, or living with the realization that you will never be appreciated, you will neve ...

Round Rock/Pflugerville Area MTs
Jun 15, 2011

I'm looking for MTs in the Round Rock/Pflugerville/North Austin area to network with.  I've been in the business for 10+ years and just don't really know any MTs in my immediate area.  I'd love to hear from you! ...

Stuck Between A Rock And A Hard Place (as Usual)
Jun 12, 2014

So QA keeps telling me to review the acct specs as I continue to format certain reports incorrectly.  Sigh.  I have looked and there is nothing in the acct specs that states anything about formatting, but yet if I say anything, I will be the "bad guy" so I am just going to keep quiet as much as I hate to.  I would rather be able to talk with them, but I have enough experience with these people to know how it will turn out:( ...

Seems Like All I Get Lately Is The Bottom Of The Barrel, Most
Aug 15, 2010

mush-mouthed dictators, the WORST audio, more and and more often.  Okay, this does not surprise me one bit (I know what is going on....convinced MQ is trying to get US MTs to quit--I know that)....it's just.........HOW do they know in advance who the crappy dictators are/poor audio is to make sure we get?  They'd have to listen to it first.  I don't get it.  Could it just be that they tell they Indians to kick back all the crap and we'll do it?   ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

Bottom Line
Jun 03, 2013

the bottom line is this business is not one to get into.  i produce the same lines, but earn a significantly less amount year after year.  it is impossible to be 100% accurate at all times no matter how good you are.  it is too easy to miss a little word, not edit correct due to eye strain, and long hours on a computer.  i have been looking to get out and today was the straw that broke the camels back.  if they had any brains, they would go back to critical errors are of course terrible and ...

SORE BOTTOM
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat cushion/pad to help with a sore/numb rump and leg circulation? Thanks!! :D ...

The Bottom Line Sm
Dec 05, 2014

is the people making these decisions have no idea what MT entails and do not care.  They don't think that we MTs might have a problem with the Indian QC giving us our quality scores.  They don't think that maybe the Indian QC may be changing a correct term to a wrong term.  They don't care that we can be dinged for a demographics error, yet cannot verify that we actually DID make the error.  The whole thing stinks.  As I have seen in this forum over and ov ...

Bottom Line With Working At MM...
Feb 23, 2013

So many people with so many questions about working here. Trying to make this a full-time job has been extremely difficult, having to work odd hours whenever there happens to be work. If you're someone who is just looking for a little extra pocket money, maybe this company could work out for you.  If you're someone who doesn't mind not having a schedule or a life outside of work, maybe this job would be okay. If either of these things are objectionable, I would suggest you lo ...

Update To Sore Bottom
Mar 10, 2014

I was the one who posted about using a memory foam pillow, but after the next poster mentioned the Herman Miller Mirra chair, I decided to do some research. I ended up going to a used office supply store and purchasing a Steelcase Leap.  Great chair, but the lumbar support didn't go low enough for my small frame.  So after a week of lower back pain, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Herman Miller.  I just started using it today and already I'm thrilled. ...

Starting All Over As A Newbie At The Bottom
Mar 11, 2014

of the ladder, working all nights, weekends, and holidays again, and having to learn a new field & stress over working up speed, accuracy, constantly being audited because you're new... I think they've just burnt me out too much doing MT to even be able to consider being able to handle all that at this point!  I don't know if my poor old brain could handle it anymore. ...

In Terms Of What You Earn Per Day - What Is Your Bottom Line?
Apr 14, 2012

A post on the company board got me to think about what it is we (as MTs) need in terms of pay.  Does 3 cpl provide for you and your family (if you have dependents)? Does 12 cpl provide that need?  What is your daily average of income regardless of whether it is voice recognition or straight income?  Do you have a bottom line that you will not cross or will find something outside of medicatl transcription? I will post separately my personal need and hope others will share theirs. ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Are Unenthusiastic Workers Hurting Your Business’s Bottom Line?
Jun 24, 2013

By Sarah Halzack,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line? That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and &ld ...

Finally Experienced The "you're-the-dirt-on-the-bottom-of-my-shoe" Phenomenon
Dec 23, 2014

My HDSM for months now in her emails that are getting fewer and fewer always says she is "still making calls" to us and if we need anything to contact her and she will get back to us right away.  Well, 2 weeks ago I needed to talk to her about something so I sent her an email.  The silence has been deafening ever since.  I imagine she's putting up her Christmas tree, wrapping gifts for her kids, and making fruitcake for her neighbors.  I've been patient.  ...

Smartype Line Will Not Move With The Page So When I Get To The Bottom Of The Page
Mar 09, 2011

I have a question about Smartype and I will try to make it so it is understandable:)  I bought Instant Text because I had to have some way of moving my Smartype over into Word 2007 (I had Word 2002).  I have Instant Text turned off until I learn the new platform on the new company I am with.  My problem is this, the Smartype line will not move with the page so when I get to the bottom of the page it covers up everything at the bottom and I can only manually move Smartype by scrolling back up ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...