A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

In regards to the field of American MT hitting rock bottom... - AB

Posted: Apr 03, 2010

IMO, and again, this is only my opinion, hitting rock bottom should equate to more than just what we're earning now as individuals.  In order to judge whether or not the FIELD of MT has hit rock bottom in America, we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first times as single people trying to support fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a new field.  Also, since hitting rock bottom means some sort of a downward direction, we would have to start at the top and compare that to now.  Considering what American MT meant when it was at the top of its field and in comparison to now, I think it definitely HAS hit rock bottom. 

A person can no longer expect to go anywhere in this career. There was a time when a good MT willing to invest in continuing education and improvement in skills would move up in the field.  Since the majority of hospitals now outsource (domestic and overseas), the MTSOs pretty much control the field at this point, and upper level management bring in their own from outside fields.  What advancement do we really have? Do we have opportunities for salaries commensurate to our skills as we get more experienced?  NO.  I would have to say that more than 70% not only have not seen raises in YEARS, but have taken pay cuts.  I've gone from 12 cpl to 9 with more than 18 years experience.  Look at what the entry line rate is now for a newbie trying to get into the field.  Look at what the beginning line rate is offered at a new company when starting, sometimes no matter how much experience you have. 

Look at the benefits and perks we used to get compared to now.  We didn't work every single weekend and hospitals were open 24/7 then too.  We rotated holidays just like weekends and there were emergency surgeries on Christmas and New Years then too.  The field has definitely changed.  We have better technology to help us with our jobs, but because of the technology that THEY choose, we get paid less.  I really can't see ithe pay, the opportunity for advancement in this career, and the morale getting much lower in this field because we cannot afford financially, emotionally, and physically to get much less than this and still keep working this field IN AMERICA.

That being said, I think it will rebound, but not until the clients themselves hit rock bottom in terms of quality in medical documentation.  When they start losing BIG money with lawsuits due to the shoddy overseas work or the VR pushed through for the sake of quantity, then things will change.  They have the control and they don't feel the pinch yet.

Totally goofed in that first paragraph. sm - AB

[ In Reply To ..]
It should read...we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first time as single people trying to support ourselves fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a new field. Sorry about that.

your addendum says it all - very old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
IF so you're talking about it all as a hypothesis.

There are people coming into the business now who find a great service to work for. You can't take the individual out and just address the profession, unless you are willing to see that there are various levels in the profession.

My entire crew of MTs, greater than 20 years like me, all have jobs, are happy with their jobs, have good benefits, and are paid a decent line rate.

IMO, the MT profession isn't hitting rock bottom. It's continuing to change due to technologic advances, including the internet which makes global economy a reality.

It's about time, perhaps, if you feel this is more than a typing gig, that there are minimum education requirements which would lend some credibility to the job. And I don't mean just train to be an MT, I mean a well-rounded education, but that will never happen.

No, just don't see a bottom, I see another phase, yes, but it's just not bad for everyone.

But, again, you are not the norm. sm - AB

[ In Reply To ..]
Your entire crew is pretty much an exception to what most others are experiencing. You have good benefits, are they what "we" (the majority of those in MT) used to see? You say your line rate is decent. Compared to what? Compared to what we used to see or compared to what most are being offered now?
How can you be sure that she is not the norm? I have the same. sm - Long-Time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I also have a good line rate, better benefits than my husband who works for a large corporation and make $55,000 a year doing what I love. I am sure that many will come on and bash this post, but it's true. There are thousands of us out there, not just the few that post negatively on this site. I personally know of at least 30 MTs who feel the way that I do, happy with the field, making good money. I also know that the company I work for has over 500 employees and the owner is a transcriptionist herself. She probably doesn't transcribe any more, but she knows what's what and makes sure that her employees are well paid, have enough work and have benefits. Not all MTSOs are bad, not all are suits.

I think that what needs to happen is that the MTs who cannot deal with ESLs, who leave blanks rather than researching, who complain about new technology rather than learning it, those who just don't "get it" should be weeded out. Not every job is for every person. Not every person is good at every job. Why should transcription be any different? If you aren't at the top of your profession or on your way there, perhaps looking at another profession is better than being miserable in the one you are. That goes for any job, any industry, any person, IMHO.
What about the ones who sit there day after day with no work? - anonymous for now
[ In Reply To ..]

I love the company I work for, but in the past year, the work has been slow almost to the point of non-existent, always telling me to hang in there, there are accounts coming on line, yet I haven't seen any new ones yet. I've asked for other accounts but, supposedly, none of them are on the platform I work on, so....here I sit.

I have always worked my regular schedule, always worked when there was extra or were running behind, rarely complained, had quality work, and rarely any blanks. I do the research even if it drop my line counts because I want quality. I do any ESL that comes my way, and learned ExSpeech and Escription.

Yet, here I sit, 2-3 days without a single job. I made $43K the first year with this company and this year not even making minimum wage.  Can't feed the family on this. 

So, what's MY problem? No experience? Don't think so. Quality audits of 99.2%.  Tell me why the work disappeared all of a sudden because I have no idea. 

P.S. I'm not the only one that has the above happen to. It's on the boards all the time. Good quality MTs and being treated like sh_t.

What About The Ones With Too Much Work, Having To Work Overtime - Neither is probably the norm
[ In Reply To ..]
Something between those extremes is probably the norm.

If I was making $55,000 a year I would love my job, - Another LongTimer
[ In Reply To ..]
too. It looks to me that you think the MTs who are sitting here without work are to blame. It's not as if the ESLs aren't routed our way and we're avoiding them. And that blame card of ESL dictators getting a little old. What account doesn't have ESLs?

You are condescending in your attitude towards MTs, faulting them for not making a livable salary any longer, not willing to research terms (so we are lazy) not willing to learn technology (are we too stupid?) Certainly we are not very bright since we "can't get it". You are really the MTSO's dream employee. A hard worker, more intelligent than most and condescending to other MTs. What more could they want in an employee?
55K - TiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody would complain about making $55K from home. I used to make $50K before I moved and was forced to work for MTSOs because I could make the same amount from home as working outside of my home. Big mistake. I should have stayed put. I had it made and didn't know it. But then again, I had been with that hospital for over 15 years and didn't realize MTSOs had taken over, or that I'd spend the next 4 years of my career struggling to make a living and going broke in the process. Live and learn but it's time to move on.
I used to think that but... - Horski
[ In Reply To ..]
I was happy until our company outsourced and now I am on the other side. There were so many of us close to retirement and I hope you are able to retire out at your job, but some had only two years left and had to go down to less than 9 cpl to start. We never thought it would happen to us. I know you are getting a good line rate, but that can change at any minute too. I always love your feedback and know you are a good MT, but after it happened to me, I had a new appreciation of what others are going through. It really stinks.
Over the past year I've come to the same conclusion you have - MT is not for everyone
[ In Reply To ..]
I've always known that MT is not for everyone and not everyone wants to do it or can do it. It has come to the place now where only the best, both in skill and attitude/motivation, are going to survive. If an MT doesn't want to adapt, it's time to move on. If you don't want to do speech recognition editing, it's time to consider another career. If you aren't prepared to do acute care, the Big 4, check to see what other job options you have available, because this isn't going to be an option for you much longer.

Only the best, the ones with the best skills and attitude, and the ones who are motivated to adapt as the job changes, are going to survive.

For example, if you think all Q/A is out to get you, it's time to do something else. If you spend your energy hating the 'suits' and believe all MT employers are out to get you, it's time to move on. Find something you love and have a passion for doing well. You aren't doing yourself any favor moping around.

If you decide you do want to stay and make it work, improve your skills, stop with the paranoia, know that everyone, from the bottom up, is struggling, and it isn't a personal vendetta against you. You just have to stay up, or drop out.
Great post - TiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Although I don't spend my time thinking QA is out to get me, I no longer love being an MT like I once did so although I get the job done, I have lost my passion. I am exploring options to see what's out there for me since I really feel it's time to hang up my headphones and pack away my foot pedal. I'm actually looking forward to packing up all my books and sending them to a friend who has no desire to change careers. I'm ready to fill my bookshelves with glass vases and trinkets along with a few books that actually make me smile.
Why have I stayed 20 years? - jm0405
[ In Reply To ..]
The past 5-6 years, I have used to obtain a bachelor degree in finance, associate degree in construction management and now I am paying for my last 10 classes to for accounting so I can take my CPA exam.

I became leary of the industry when VR was born. I knew changes were made every year...be prepared...I never wanted to wake up one day without a job or skills to find one.

Do I think MT will end? No. It will always take someone to edit reports no doubt. However, I am realistic enough to know that with each year VR improves, fewer MT/editors will be needed. Each year I add for experience = I am worth more money in wages. A newbie to the industry is a lower pay rate for employers. I chose not get myself backed into that corner as well.

If you want to make it, roll with the changes, stay on your toes, pay attention to what's around you and plan ahead. I am hoping this is my last year in MT work. The only reason I am still here is because the economy tanked, AIG and Madoff incidents were in the news, Merrill Lynch bought out by BofA, banking bailout, etc. Wrong time to get a degree in finance! LOL. I hope to leave the industry.

It's best if you use ANY job to prepare for your future.

Agree 100%. The way this industry is being - run into the ground is shameful! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I agree AB - Mrs. MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Your experience has been my experience. I finally had enough and quit a couple of weeks ago. I'd worked with the same people for 15 years. I have 22 years acute care experience, have always worked Saturdays and holidays, rarely took time off and have taken repeated cuts and loss of benefits as well.

It'd be nice to find services that look out for their MTs. I never even expected raises, just to keep up with the cost of living and for the service to honor their word. There are so many people I meet who want to know about what I do for a living, and anymore I try to talk them out of it. Even though I enjoyed my work and didn't mind ESLs and mush-mouths (VR took all the "good" doctors), I'm not very motivated to even look for another job right now. I miss the "good ol' days" when MTs were valued and employers knew a good thing when they had it. Made me want to give back and be a team player.

Would love 2 know... - curious MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Why the folks who say they work for wonderful companies, make great $$$ with good bennies and adore their managers, etc. never name names. Surely the influx of qualified applicants for such a fantastic company would benefit not only the company,(presumably so well managed they do not overhire), but possibly prod other MTSOs into doing the right thing for all of us MTs. Just sayin'.

If we name the companies we work for, the bashers come out in full force! - Long-Time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Exactly - very old MT
[ In Reply To ..]
My company's name has been bandied about here. When the negativity is countered, the bashing just gets "louder".

I see it this way, if I could find my way to a viable, healthy, thoughtful company, so can anyone. As usual, some people want the work done FOR them, which sort of goes to Long-Time MT's point.

To Anonymous for now, why do you stay with a company that provides you no work? Regardless of what has happened to the company, ultimately you choose to stay or go and you've chosen to stay?
I stayed because I believed them and I'm counting down the time for retiring. - anonymous for now
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have long to go and I certainly don't want to start over at a different company just to have the same thing happen again. I've seen too many MTs go that route.

I have looked locally but don't want to drive 30-40 miles a day to work. Been there, done that, and with gas prices, it's just not worth it.
That, in itself, should say something. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have no idea what company it is, so there is no way that I can bash the company. But if you feel that people would bash the company simply because you name it, then obviously not all have had the same experience as you even within the same company, let alone the whole MT field. People aren't going to simply bash a company for the fun of it if they're making $55,000 with great benefits, treated great, and have all the work they can handle. There has to be a reason that there's some animosity. There are just as many MTs that call people with valid complaints "bashers" simply because they have it good and refuse to believe that the "bashers" would have a bad experience, therefore, they must be lying. I think there are a lot more people having a rough time in the field than those doing great with it.
I think you're missing the point of why people bash - Older Than Dirt MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone might post that they love their company and are doing well.

Anyone who has ever been fired from that company or had a run-in with Q/A with that company or doesn't like someone who works there, posts. There are people who just sit around bashing people, because that's what they do. It's easy to do on the internet. Nobody can hold them accountable or even make them identify themselves.

A few of them even post under different names, agreeing with themselves, and making it look like others have been abused by whatever company or person they are bashing.

It's a shame that it works that way, because otherwise we could share real information that would be helpful to each other.
I'm not going to post my usual moniker, but I've been called a basher. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have many years experience, have consistently had 99% and higher QA, but had terrible experiences with 2 companies that were so-called "wonderful" companies. I wasn't only bashed myself for speaking out about my experiences, I was personally attacked. When I posted my experiences online, I was accused of being a liar, accused of having poor quality and deserved the punishment, accused of not wanting to take on more accounts (even though I already had 4), on and on and on.

I believe that most of those who use those tactics are the ones that will never, ever consider that there might be problems with their company because they don't see it themselves. There is no way to prove (other than through the board administrator) if someone posts under different names and agree with themselves, but it's an easy accusation to make to deflect the attention off the initial topic. It's the same as if someone with a complaint has a comeback saying, "it must be a suit." They're both lame accusations.

If you look above, those who claim they are doing so well never answered any of the questions that really pertained to the original topic...the ones that made sense about comparing today to the way it was before or what about the ones who sit there with no work.

Nobody is doubting that there are some doing well out there, but people can't simply dismiss those experiencing otherwise as bashers and that their opinions are in the minority. There are just way too many out there from MANY different companies that are having bad experiences to say that the field has not hit rock bottom compared to what it was.
You've made some good points. I have comments and a couple of questions - My Viewpoint
[ In Reply To ..]
You've made some excellent points. It's obvious that some of the companies are making decisions that are bad for the MTs who work there. In other words, there are legitimate complaints. When you mix those in with the people who never had the skills in the first place or have poor attitudes or work values, you get a situation where it's hard to tell what is real and what isn't.

Personally, I wouldn't give the name of a company I liked, because even if it's an excellent company, and there still are some out there, someone will have been fired for misconduct from there or let go because of attitude or poor skills or maybe just not the right skills, and they are angry.

I'm with you though. I would love to have a way to be able to tell the legitimate complaints from the ones who needed to be fired, are angry, and posting negative complaints on every website on the internet. Those are the ones who are ruining it, because people with common sense and a fair attitude look at those as overkill and start doubting that there is any validity to their complaints, so it backfires on them. That's a shame, because it means that any real complaints don't get the results those posters want either.

I'm not sure what results to expect anyway. Do those with legitimate complaints want their jobs back? Do they want others to quit their jobs with that company in sympathy? Are they simply venting? Are they hoping someone will see their message and offer them a job? This is a question. I really want to know. Thanks!
Answers to your questions. sm - called a basher
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't answer for others, but there were a few reasons I posted my complaints. If I initiated a string, it was because I was venting or had wondered if any at the company in question had experienced the same thing. There was one company I worked for where I had questioned the supervisor (by phone, not here) about something exactly opposite of what she had told me in email a few months back. From that time on it seemed like I was in her crosshairs and she even went to the extreme of actually locking me out of the system for 2 whole days because she "thought" I had requested those days off and said it was done in error. When I asked why I had never been locked out of the system before on my days off, she got even worse. So I ended up quitting. People said almost the same thing you said about people with common sense view that as overkill and no supervisor would lock someone out of the system without a valid reason. But it DID happen to me, and it happened at a company that more than a few said was a very good company.

I posted asking if anyone else had ever experienced that and right away about 4 or 5 different people started calling me a liar, stating there was no way anyone at that company would do that...yada, yada, yada. I actually had to contact tech support to let me back in the system because she was off. They knew it was true. So that time I was posting because I was venting and was curious if I was the only one on the bad side of this particular supervisor. And yes, because I was angry that I lost 2 days pay and ultimately my job because I couldn't take it anymore.

Another time when I complained about a different company I was responding to someone else who called the OP a basher for posting her issues. I was trying to show that she wasn't the only one who had experienced that.

I never expected anyone to quit their job in sympathy. That's ridiculous. I wouldn't quit mine if someone said that they had a negative experience. I also would never want my job back either. If they are going to treat me like that once, they'll do it again. I can't let someone else have that kind of control over my ability to support myself and my family.

But both times I did post, I was made to feel like I was the bad guy in the wrong. We don't have the usual "water cooler" where we can't vent to our coworkers. This is the only venue we have, but I could never in a million years imagine someone saying some of the hateful, venomous things in person at a water cooler as they did here on line simply because they didn't experience the same thing or couldn't see someone face to face.
More Good Information - Thanks For Your Reply - More of My Viewpoint
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I remember the thread you're talking about when you said you were locked out. I didn't read it, but if people actually called you names or said you weren't telling the truth, that's inappropriate. I would keep in mind what we were talking about earlier though. It may be one person, or maybe two, posting over and over again, actually talking to themselves and approving of what they themselves just said. I wouldn't even take them seriously. If they were happy, they would have no need to attack others, would they? They would be too busy being happy and productive.

Only you and the other people involved in your situation know exactly what happened. Unfortunately, there is no way to 'prove' that you were right or that someone treated you badly. That's where we have to not only accept responsibility for ourselves, but for our own feelings, and not need anyone else to approve us.

Even back in the water-cooler days, people would listen and then when the person left, they would gossip about them. That's nothing new.

You said, "I was made to feel like I was the bad guy in the wrong." Don't let anyone have that power over you. Yes, if you write something here, you are setting yourself up for others to judge and comment on what you said. You have the choice of learning how to accept it as what it is, not very important in your life, or be very careful what comments you make.

That's my viewpoint anyway, for whatever it's worth. Good luck with finding a great solution to your work situation. I wish you well.
Or Some Bash Because... - jm0405
[ In Reply To ..]
Some people post so others can learn from their experience and avoid it in their own lives.

Maybe people are tired of working long hours, odd shifts and have no money to show for it.

Hard tellin'

Similar Messages:

What Is Rock Bottom, Anyway?
Dec 28, 2011

I worked all day today for less than what I made per day in 1985, at my second-ever transcription job. I hang by a thread to my rental home (already lost home I owned) and belongings, as do so many others...each day I force my gnarled and painful fingers to their respective limits, well beyond their limitations, eeking out just another hour...this hour for the cat's food, another hour to pay the internet bill, so I can work another hour...and so on. I remember when I was in my mid ...

Afro-American Versus African-American
Nov 17, 2012

Afro pertains to a "hair style" usually worn by black people or African-Americans. African-American refers to a group or nationality of people whose decendants originated in Africa. Has anyone ever been corrected on that when getting audited? Just curious. I see this a lot. P.S. Not trying to stir the pot or offend anyone so please, no racial slurs or offensive posts. This is a ligitmate question. How do you type it? or do you think it matters? ...

Hitting A Wall
Apr 20, 2010

I am having such difficulty concentrating today.  All these ASR charts with at least 4-5 corrections per sentence.  What a waste.  Probably minimum wage today.  My dog used to listen to me vent when no one else was around, wagged her tail and put her head on my lap as I typed, but she had to be put down in Feb:( Sorry, just needed to vent to someone who understands, unlike my DH, kids and all my friends who think I have a great job working at home!  I guess it ...

New Test Hitting The Streets?
Oct 06, 2011

I just took a non MTTest called Oak Horizons for a new job. Why don't they just test on your knowledge and expertise instead of loading tests with trick questions? This one was different because it has a big frigging clock ticking in your face and gives you instant results on each component. I was so dismayed by the first 2 scores, I was too despondent to finish the actual dictation. ...

I'm Hitting The Proverbial Wall
Nov 11, 2014

Lately, I've been checking my hourly production, every hour on the hour.  For my first hour of work this morning, I stayed completely focused, no distractions except getting a quick cup of coffee (in the same room as my work desk) but quickly sat right back down again and went right back to work.  What was my hourly rate of production for that hour?  $7.42.  Yes, I said I earned a whopping $7.42 in a solid hour of intense concentration and focus.  I also noticed ...

Rock The Boat...
Apr 16, 2015

Questions from http://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/3rdparty.htm How are/were you paid (salary, hourly, by piece or by job rate)? What is your rate of pay?  Is "I'm not sure" a valid answer? Are you involved in any type of interstate transactions, such as shipping or receiving goods, producing goods, making telephone calls, processing credit cards, etc.?  Yes. Are the hours worked records an accurate reflection of the hours you worked? Do you perform work prior to or after signing in ...

Why Is Spellcheck Hitting On Correct Med Names
Jul 09, 2014

x ...

A Rock Song Keeps Going Through My Head
Dec 12, 2011

Dirty Deeds (and they're done dirt cheap) ...

A Rock And A Hard Place
Jul 01, 2014

Which is worse, having no work, or killing yourself for 8 hours to make $50 or $60 and being so resentful and tired that your own physical and mental health is compromised?  Having no work, or watching the sites you've just mastered disappear to India (or back into your MTSO's newbie queue), only to be replaced by worse sites with new learning curves and back to square one again?  Having no work, or living with the realization that you will never be appreciated, you will neve ...

Round Rock/Pflugerville Area MTs
Jun 15, 2011

I'm looking for MTs in the Round Rock/Pflugerville/North Austin area to network with.  I've been in the business for 10+ years and just don't really know any MTs in my immediate area.  I'd love to hear from you! ...

Stuck Between A Rock And A Hard Place (as Usual)
Jun 12, 2014

So QA keeps telling me to review the acct specs as I continue to format certain reports incorrectly.  Sigh.  I have looked and there is nothing in the acct specs that states anything about formatting, but yet if I say anything, I will be the "bad guy" so I am just going to keep quiet as much as I hate to.  I would rather be able to talk with them, but I have enough experience with these people to know how it will turn out:( ...

Instant Text - Expand Simply By Typing In The Abbreviation And Hitting The Space Bar?
May 03, 2013

Does anyone know how to expand simply by typing in the abreviation and hitting the space bar and then it will expand the abreviation? ...

Seems Like All I Get Lately Is The Bottom Of The Barrel, Most
Aug 15, 2010

mush-mouthed dictators, the WORST audio, more and and more often.  Okay, this does not surprise me one bit (I know what is going on....convinced MQ is trying to get US MTs to quit--I know that)....it's just.........HOW do they know in advance who the crappy dictators are/poor audio is to make sure we get?  They'd have to listen to it first.  I don't get it.  Could it just be that they tell they Indians to kick back all the crap and we'll do it?   ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

Bottom Line
Jun 03, 2013

the bottom line is this business is not one to get into.  i produce the same lines, but earn a significantly less amount year after year.  it is impossible to be 100% accurate at all times no matter how good you are.  it is too easy to miss a little word, not edit correct due to eye strain, and long hours on a computer.  i have been looking to get out and today was the straw that broke the camels back.  if they had any brains, they would go back to critical errors are of course terrible and ...

SORE BOTTOM
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat cushion/pad to help with a sore/numb rump and leg circulation? Thanks!! :D ...

The Bottom Line Sm
Dec 05, 2014

is the people making these decisions have no idea what MT entails and do not care.  They don't think that we MTs might have a problem with the Indian QC giving us our quality scores.  They don't think that maybe the Indian QC may be changing a correct term to a wrong term.  They don't care that we can be dinged for a demographics error, yet cannot verify that we actually DID make the error.  The whole thing stinks.  As I have seen in this forum over and ov ...

Bottom Line With Working At MM...
Feb 23, 2013

So many people with so many questions about working here. Trying to make this a full-time job has been extremely difficult, having to work odd hours whenever there happens to be work. If you're someone who is just looking for a little extra pocket money, maybe this company could work out for you.  If you're someone who doesn't mind not having a schedule or a life outside of work, maybe this job would be okay. If either of these things are objectionable, I would suggest you lo ...

Update To Sore Bottom
Mar 10, 2014

I was the one who posted about using a memory foam pillow, but after the next poster mentioned the Herman Miller Mirra chair, I decided to do some research. I ended up going to a used office supply store and purchasing a Steelcase Leap.  Great chair, but the lumbar support didn't go low enough for my small frame.  So after a week of lower back pain, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Herman Miller.  I just started using it today and already I'm thrilled. ...

Starting All Over As A Newbie At The Bottom
Mar 11, 2014

of the ladder, working all nights, weekends, and holidays again, and having to learn a new field & stress over working up speed, accuracy, constantly being audited because you're new... I think they've just burnt me out too much doing MT to even be able to consider being able to handle all that at this point!  I don't know if my poor old brain could handle it anymore. ...

In Terms Of What You Earn Per Day - What Is Your Bottom Line?
Apr 14, 2012

A post on the company board got me to think about what it is we (as MTs) need in terms of pay.  Does 3 cpl provide for you and your family (if you have dependents)? Does 12 cpl provide that need?  What is your daily average of income regardless of whether it is voice recognition or straight income?  Do you have a bottom line that you will not cross or will find something outside of medicatl transcription? I will post separately my personal need and hope others will share theirs. ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Are Unenthusiastic Workers Hurting Your Business’s Bottom Line?
Jun 24, 2013

By Sarah Halzack,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line? That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and &ld ...

Buying American
Oct 19, 2009

Hey, Everybody: In the spirit of solidarity, if we want support for our cause, then we might want to consider supporting other industries in America.  There are places to "Buy American" on the website.  We shouldn't support Big Box Stores that import everything and make a killing as well as treat their employees like chattel.  You know who I am talking about.  If we buy into the theory, "Oh, but it's so inexpensive to go there," then we are just as bad as the tran ...

Native American
Mar 26, 2010

When doctor says:  "Patient is a native American" should native be capitalized?  (BOS says to capitalize tribe names, but that doesnt answer this question.)  Thanks very much. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

American MTSOs?
Jul 23, 2014

Okay, so are there ANY companies that are actually owned by Americans who live in America?  Everyone says they are only hiring from within the U.S., but that doesn't mean the owners are American.  Someone here said one company (Diskriter?) was purchased by "an Indian couple." Why wasn't it purchased by an American couple? Why aren't Americans buying MTSOs? What's up with that? ...

Where Are All The American Doctors?
Sep 06, 2014

This past week it seems all I have got to transcribe are foreign docs.  Some are not too bad, but some it is just plain torture to listen to.  What is going on?  Also this is the first time I have not been able to pay my bills with my paycheck.  It is so depressing.  Just had to vent.   ...

The Great American EHR Boondoggle
Dec 01, 2009

Just in case anyone thought that point and click EMR is working, read this article.   http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20090818/REG/308189963 ...

American Precision Transcription, LLC
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone work or heard of this company American Precision Transcription, LLC (APT)? Thanks for any and all comments about them. ...