A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tired of waiting for calls that never come. - Anon

Posted: May 27, 2012

I am so burned out and so tired of trying to get jobs here.  So many of these recruiters do not call when they say they will and a few just never called.  No explanations, no apology, like "Oh well they are only MTs, a dime a dozen and who cares if we do not call and fail to give them the courtesy you would any other worker."   I am just worn out and sick of trying, sick of doing all the testing and then having an interview where nothing ever happens.  I must admit Nuance was probably the best as far answering you on time and then very prompt with interview.  Keystrokes is good too about answering you back.   Maybe I am just having a "bad day," not sure at this point.  I have been very discouraged for a long time.  I know I am not alone though. 

We must be strong and know that there is something good just around the corner -- new job opportunity, new training program, chance at going back to school.  I am basically an optimistic and know that eventually things will get better. 

For Christians who believe:  Today in church my Pastor said that anything is possible if you believe in God.  I suppose this should go on Religion Board, but basically it is about life too and having courage to keep on trying -- what else can we do anyway???

It is just like every other industry - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am baffled when I read posts bemoaning the fact that recruiters and employers do not call you back.

There is nothing at all unusual about that. It happens in ALL industries and job markets. Employers do not respond to all applicants, do not provide personalized explanations for decisions not to hire, and may say things like they will call you meaning they will IF they select you.

I am not sure why that would offend you nor am I sure why you would sit around waiting for The Call. Applicants in other fields do not do this. They simply do not.

For some reason, MTs have the idea that social niceties need to be followed, as if the applicant was expecting or entitled to an RSVP for a wedding invitation.

Probably the best thing you could do would be to adjust your expectations to something more realistic. The fact that you want the job does not mean the employer wants to hire you. You are competing with other desirable candidates.

You might want to consider that your unhappiness over this communicates itself to the employer, scaring them off. They sense your unreasonable expectations and they do not want any part of them or you.

If you hate the way this field is going, find something else to do or go to school. When you do, though, be careful that you do not bring your current baggage with you because if you do you will be just as miserable in that field as you are in this.

I am not sure this has anything to do with "being strong" or a "believing Christian." It has to do with becoming an appealing employment prospect and a valuable employee.

Did you really read the OP's post - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
She says "So many of these recruiters do not call when they say they will ..." Now when a recruiter says they will call you between noon and 1 pm and they do not then ya it is very discouraging. To the OP, just hang in there. When a recruiter did not call me when they said they would I made sure I had an e-mail and a phone number so I could do the reverse. Good luck with your job search.

Yes, I really did - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I realy did read it. What I saw was frustration and discouragement based on a mismatch between the OP's and employers' expectations about employment-related behavior.

When employers say they will let you know, they do not necessarily mean it and you should have no expectation that they will call you. It seems to be a way of saying "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Getting stood up is unpleasant, but when a date sas "I'll call you" after a first meeting, he doesn't mean he will call. It is a tactful way to break off contact. It MEANS "I do not think we are suited and you should NOT expect to hear from me again, but I might change my mind, so I'll leave that option open."

Employers do this to avoid discussions about why they find you unsuitable that could lead to lawsuits.

The unemployment sitation is discouraging enough without setting yourself up for added discouragement with unreasonable expectations.

call backs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, yes I do expect a call when someone says they will call. I have been on interviews where I was specifically told that I will only receive a call back by X date if they are interested, and if I do not hear from them they were considering other candidates.

If someone says they will call, I expect it. I usually clarify time and date before I end the call. I have worked in several fields, and this is one of the few where they will actually just blow you off completely. Very unprofessional!

You are setting yourself up for disappointment - Realist

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you considered that your clarification of time and date of the call may come across as pushy and controlling?

If you stopped expecting people to adhere to your standards, you wouldn't have to get so angry when they did not comply. You wouldn't feel the need to control them or project that pushiness, and that might make employers more likely to hire you.

If you box them into a corner with a time and date, you are just asking for trouble. They are not going to call to say they are not hiring you. So, when you insist on an appointment for the call, you are asking for something they cannot do AND that annoys them, making them think you are not what they want. That kind of behavior is a bad sign in a job applicant.

You expect them to follow your social standards without considering their limitations and constraints. That is what they see and that is one reason you are not getting the job.

Hearing this may anger you, but it is something you might want to think about. If you change this, maybe you can do better.
what are you talking about - not the OP
[ In Reply To ..]
what the heck are you talking about??? I just said I always verify the day and time I can expect to hear from someone, as in during the phone call they usually mention I will hear from them by X date/time, and before I hang up I politely say, "and I will hear something by X?" They always verify the info.

How on earth is this boxing someone into a corner or insisting on an appointment when THEY are the one saying they will call and I ask before I hang up to make sure I have the info.? By the way, I really haven't been left hanging, EVER!!!! The OP is the one saying they were frustrated by no call backs, and I merely stated that it is very unprofessional, BECAUSE IT IS!!!

I have never INTERVIEWED for a position where I haven't heard back unless they told me that up front, sent in applications and not heard, sure, but never with an interview.

My guess is you are young and not really had much experience in job hunting. When someone actually SAYS THEY WILL CALL BACK, they should. It is not expecting them to "follow MY social standards!" If they say they do not call back unless there is interest, fine! If they say they will call back on X date/time and I am there as agreed, they are just plain RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL not to do so!

You know what? What the h*& is wrong with - social niceties? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think there is anything wrong with people wanting to be treated with respect, in any field. We should not just accept that this is becoming a rude country and just "go with the flow". Enough already.

that's all you can do. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
just keep trying. Keep you mind open to other possibilities too. As a believer, you know that He has great things in store for you, a place where YOU are needed. I am working, with Transcend, now Nuance. I am getting more confident everyday that things at Nuance will start looking more like Transcend. So don't shoot yourself in the foot if that door opens. You are right, many are discouraged in your same situation. But there are also many not pulling their weight, so don't give up. Wishing you the best.

Disagree about anything being possible - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree about anything being possible if you believe in anything. Example: I would love to have been a singer, but I have a lousy voice. I would like to be an accountant, but I can't add or subtract sufficiently. Would love to become a cosmetologist and cut hair, but I can't cut a straight line. SO, believing doesn't do diddly for that. I DO believe, but I'm a realist.

SO, we need to be realistic and not live in la-la land. I believe I can get a non-MT job doing some sort of office work. That is my goal. I'm giving up this MT stuff even though "I BELIEVE."

Phone call - goofy

[ In Reply To ..]
Geez, I think this is really stoopid. The OP is not talking about believing yourself into being a singer or ANYTHING like that. Please show some respect.

And, if I take a 2-3 hour test for a company, and they say I passed, and are going to call me, I absolutely would be expecting a call! The second poster is making all these negative and odd generalizations that are nothing like how we find jobs in our industry. If you are going to attack someone, instead of being supportive, make sure it is something you would do in person.

Folks at peace with themselves and others simply do not approach these threads with such spitefullness.

I was addressing... - the issue of if you believe in God

[ In Reply To ..]
Not in what this poster deserves in terms of getting a call back. She does deserve that. I just do not believe that if you believe in God, that anything is possible. Those were my examples is all.

Yes, I do believe in God and am quite religious. But to make a blanket statement that by believing in God, you can do anything is simply not true.

Keeping religion out of it, I also think that we do a diservice to our children when we say, "you can be anything you want to be."

No, not necessarily. You may not have the talent (like me cutting hair), you may not know the right people (enter politics), etc. You can strive, but one needs to keep their feet planted on the ground.

Not trying to burst anybody's bubbles here, but let's keep ourselves out of la-la land.
sad - goofy
[ In Reply To ..]
People striving to do anything with their life's purpose, etc., most certainly can. How do you think great athletes become Olympic stars? It is not all innate talent, it is faith and focus, etc. Know what I mean? It reminds me of the "if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." Even if you are not successful by worldly standards, you will learn and grow just by the experience. NO! Don't stay on the porch, get out there and fly!! I agree it is wise to know one's limits, but that can only be measured by experience.

I do respect your realism, and it is definitely important. I guess it's hard (especially in our economy)to lose site of the dream. I have in areas too.

All good though, I enjoyed reading the posts here.
I do not believe we can wish God into helping us - just by the power of our wishes. Seems we
[ In Reply To ..]
are getting pretty big for our bitches these days. This is a very common notion that is peculiar to our current culture. That the power of positive thinking makes us very powerful indeed! Goes right along with other aspects of the secularization of religion, something worth doing a little reading on.

Similar Messages:

I Get So Tired Of Sitting Here Waiting For Work And
Feb 06, 2012

am concerned if I quit this job I will get another with the exact same situation.  I have no clue what to do with myself sitting waiting and it makes me nervous. ...

I Get So Tired Of Waiting On Work. It Actually Makes Me Nervous Sitting By This Computer
Jun 05, 2014

waiting on reports.  Not sure how to handle this.  I am looking for other work but no luck so far.  Do others find this mentally stressful babysitting your computer. ...

Two Great Interviews With Accentus STARTeam. Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...
May 10, 2012

I applied, tested for and passed for the Accentus STARTeam position.  I received a call from HR for the first interview and went on to a second interview with who would be my transcrition manager within hours of the first interview.  I was on the phone with her for over an hour.  She was very excited about my experience and told me I would be a great fit.  It was very clear that she thought I would be a valuable addition to her team and the interview went very, very well. &nb ...

Random Audit Due Today...waiting, Waiting.
Apr 11, 2014

My random audits have happened the last 3 months between the 10th and 15th of each month.  So, now... well, I guess I wait to see where the axe will fall.   ...

Tired Of Stress, Tired Of Crying, I HATE MY JOB!!!!!!! Nm
May 19, 2010

nm ...

No Further Calls?
Mar 19, 2015

Just heard from my TSM there will be no further calls regarding this latest _____???? I am going to send this to QA so I can lock my 7 cents a line rate in since I had to leave a blank. This is getting so very old. ...

MxSecure Calls
Dec 14, 2010

Has anybody received their phone call about what their new schedule will be?   ...

Robo Calls
Apr 08, 2011

I used to work for Spheris/Medquist over a year ago. I received an automated call today from Medquist to reapply again. They claim they have a lot of work and need the help. I guess they have not figured out yet that MT's are leaving the field in droves. ...

MD2MD Calls??
Oct 08, 2013

Anybody get callback from MD2MD; and if so, had they already called your references? Anybody have any info on them; theyr'e out of California? ...

Conference Calls
Nov 19, 2014

Have you ever transcribed conference calls, and if so, how does it compare with medical trancription in terms of income, time consumption, etc.?  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.  ...

TWO PHONE CALLS
May 23, 2015

To your state's unemployment office if you were ever OOW AND your local labor dept. (How many times did you check email or FIESA on "production" time (unpaid)?  Wage theft times years?  ...

MDI-AAMC Conference Calls
Oct 15, 2009

Anybody here from MDI who have attended the weekly conference calls about AAMC.  I am a night owl and they always have the calls early morning.  ...

Imaginary Phone Calls.
Mar 04, 2010

Two phone calls that will never happen: RING-RING! MT: "Hello?" SUPERVISOR: "You @#$% lazy good-for-nothing. This report has two blanks in it! Why didn't you look them up?" MT: "Kwitcherbitchin, fool! You got exactly what you paid for!" RING-RING! MTSO: "Hello?" CLIENT: "You @#$% lazy good-for-nothings! This report has two blanks in it! Why didn't you look them up? MTSO: "Kwitcherbitchin, fool! You got exactly what you paid for!" ...

Does Anyone Here Remember The Conference Calls
Oct 26, 2010

Does anyone remember the conference calls we had when transitioning to Transcend from MDI-MD regarding our line rates?  I can remember quite a few people being upset that after being told our rates would not change, many had their line rates cut.  And I specifically remember them saying that once our account went to VR, we would be getting 50% of our transcription rate.  Does anyone else remember this as well? Either I'm losing my memory or someone is playing games because o ...

Getting Calls From Medquist At All Hours
Nov 09, 2010

This is to all the people that get ticked off when MQ calls them to work.  I WOULD KILL FOR A CALL TO WORK AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR NIGHT.  I have always said I am available 24/7, but with the "new and not improved" MQ there is really no one to tell that to, no one who truly cares -- about the client or the employee.  How wonderful it would be to feel needed again.  With so many of us vying over so few reports, the only feeling I get from them is "just quit, just quit, ...

Customer Service Calls
Dec 20, 2010

I got this email from my friend.  I didn't know you could do this and have read a lot about customer service calls here so though it was interesting to post.    I want to ask each of you to consider doing  the following when you are talking on the phone to any US customer  service representative that is based in a foreign country (like  India ).  I have done this twice and it works!  Any time  you call an 800 number (for a credit ca ...

Recent Calls From Clients, Etc.
Jul 26, 2012

This post is in regard to posts I have seen lately on this board regarding dictators. They actually do care or must feel they need to address situations that I bring to their attention. A call regarding flags from the physician himself. He is realizing how much time I am spending locating certain info not dictated. He tells me officially that the facility is to handle that now so as not to take up my time. A call from a dictator today, stating as he made so many errors and redictations on the ...

Is Anyone Else Annoyed At All The Phone Calls From Schools?
Mar 11, 2010

You can't get some of the schools to stop calling you even after you tell them you've enrolled with another school and graduated, and have a job.  Is anyone else offended by the high-pressure tactics?  If a school has to keep calling and offering discounts and specials, that's a red flag, or is it just me?  I got my training years ago and I still can't get them to go away.  You expect that from those cheesy sales people trying to sell you whatever, but th ...

Is Anyone Else Getting Calls From MTSOs You Applied With Years Ago?
May 18, 2012

The first call I received was week before last from Future Net.  He said he got my name off of this board.  I posted my resume YEARS ago.  I swear, I could not understand half of what that man said.  He was worse than any ESL I have transcribed.  I did get that he was asking me if I was interested in a job.  When I asked him what it was for, he did not know!!  I told him I could not answer that question unless he could give me specifics.  He said he would ...

Don't They Realize These Calls Do Not Increase Moral But Rather
Oct 15, 2012

It's no secret that on the charts and pies, there is the "elite" mgt team where all the money is funneled and then the lowly worker bees, aka MLS who allow that mgt team to enjoy the life they've become so accustomed to.  Why bother to have such a call to just rub it in everyone's face?  ...

Birthday And Now Doctor Calls In ALL His Work...
Jan 09, 2013

So I have been slower than usual this week, and he picks my birthday to bury me in a week's worth of work (along with my other accounts he knows)..... urgh. I see this physician as a patient, and they know.... gosh...darn. Where was he anytime last week or this week but today.... now canceled plans to eat dinner at the computer. ...

Command Health - So Many Phone Calls
Jun 16, 2014

So many phone calls, very pushy, rushed me to complete paperwork and software training, said my account would be VR, great bonuses, potential for 5.5 cpl, blah, blah, blah.  They called right before the day I would officially start to inform me that the account for which I was hired miraculously had no work left...an account I was told was swamped during phone interview.  They offered me a new account and everything discussed in our phone interviews (both with supervisor and HR) was completel ...

Just A Vent. Finally Having A Great Day And Then The Supervisor Calls
Nov 07, 2009

and asks me to help out an account I despise.  The odd thing is the account I was pulled to has less than 10 jobs available and the one I was pulled from has closer to 150.  Now how strange is that!!!!!!!! ...

Any News As To What The Spheris Conference Calls Are About Today?
Mar 11, 2010

anyone had theirs yet?   ...

M*Modal - Strange, Unwanted Phone Calls
Jun 15, 2012

Has anyone else been getting strange recorded phone calls from M*Modal telling you to test for them? I keep ignoring them and yet they keep calling. I haven't tested for them in years and wouldn't work for them if they were the last MTSO left on earth. And the woman's voice who does the recording sounds like she is a robot or something from outer space, LOL! ...

On IPad Making Facetime Calls, Other Person Can
Oct 19, 2014

I know the volume is up, have checked settings and the volume there also up. Have tried rebooting and nothing has worked. Any suggestions? ...

Still Waiting
Oct 15, 2012

I have been waiting since last Thursday to hear back from my supervisor about possibly picking up another account (would be my 5th) or changing my hours so that I wouldn't constantly be OOW. Good thing I didn't hold my breath...tired of constantly being put on the back burner by this company. See what years of dedication gets you? ...

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting
Sep 11, 2014

A week ago today, my e-mail and Remedy locked me out.  Cannot get into either.  My TSM entered a ticket for me.  I am STILL  waiting to hear back from tech support.  Hope I didn't get any e-mails.  HA.    How can they be so busy that it takes them a week?  I don't get it. ...

How Do You Use Your Waiting Time?
Jul 02, 2010

Hi, I am an old MT but new to working at home. Didn't know beans about any company, but have gotten hired by a company that (as I found out on these forums) apparently overhires. As I understand it, this means that my "8-hour shift" may stretch to fill the entire day, as I wait for dictation to become available, because we have to do a certain number of lines, if there's work or not. My question to anyone in the same situation is, What do you do during the time you are waiting? Is it ...

WAITING FOR WORK???
Jun 20, 2012

Take action and file for unemployment...I have and it is approved!!!  For those of us sitting around twiddling our thumbs when we should be working our shift but have the old "no work available" story...the UE term is "underemployed".  Maybe in India this type of treatment of employees flies...but hey, not here! We're in the USA and lovin' it !!!! God Bless The USA !!!!! ...