A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

People are picketing for $15.00 per hour all over the US - So where do we fit in on this issue?

Posted: Apr 15, 2015

Saw yesterday and today where fast food workers and others are taking to the streets to protest their salaries, demanding $15.00 per hour. I know many of us make far below that and the thought crossed my mind, where do we fit in? Our work is so involved. We could go to any restaurant and wash dishes, serve hamburgers, could the fast food workers do the same on ours? We all know the answer to that. Talked with a guy yesterday whose wife retired from the department of transportation in our state. For years after her retirement she got 80% of her original salary (this was not a retirement fund) and he told me she also got a 3% raise on her income each year. Seems like the last time I had a raise was the early 2000s and that was when I worked in house. We are some underpaid, overworked, under appreciated people.

Sadly...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
the only thing we can really do is refuse to take jobs with low line rates (easier said than done) and ask for periodic line rate increased (like that's going to fly). The fewer US MTs who take these jobs, the result will probably be more work will be off-shored. I'm afraid they've got us over a barrel. The only saving grace (somewhat) is that some states have increased their minimum wage, so anyone who meets their MTSOs lph criteria and gets paid less than their state's minimum must be vigilant and make sure they ask that their pay be increased to the minimum wage for their state. Eventually, they may have to increase their pay rates to reflect this; but more than likely they'll increase their production requirement. Over a barrel again!

Also, MTs are more likely now - to be completely replaced by

[ In Reply To ..]
by technology. Unless the workers are completely replaced by robots, a FF place will always need a certain number of humans. More and more providers will edit their own work and MT will be mostly wiped out. Hopefully this will not happen completely in the next 5 years when I can retire.

Fast food places - This is what I think

[ In Reply To ..]
People deserve to make a living wage, but I don't agree with unskilled workers being paid more than skilled workers; burger flippers and dishwashers will be making more than MAs and CNAs, that hardly seems fair. FF was never meant to be someone's career. Some McDonald's drive-throughs are automated now, eliminating humans although they will need people to cook and clean. For people who don't think those costs get passed on to consumers, I live in a state that has the highest minimum wage in the US and it's expensive to eat fast food or eat in restaurants since people got raises, the establishments raised their prices accordingly. They will also cut staffing and won't hire full-time workers. I don't think it's fair that MTs make less but working on production pay is probably seen in a different light. I don't see MT ever being completely replaced by technology but that's just my opinion.
If the "unskilled" workers end up getting paid - more than "skilled" workers, it is -
[ In Reply To ..]
because the "unskilled" people took to the streets to make their wage demands known.

Do you think they did this without help? - Skilled office worker
[ In Reply To ..]
I can tell you that the labor unions are backing this campaign big time; they saw the opportunity to organize a group of workers and took advantage of it. Depending on what you think of labor unions makes a difference in how you view this, all I can say is that union organizers don't work for free and generally have hidden agendas. If the MTs want to organize and fight for better pay, someone needs to get the ball rolling because you are going to need to make the effort to make it happen. Wait and see what happens when employers are forced to pay minimum wage workers more and an oil change costs $75 and a burger at McDonalds is $10. Those costs get passed along to you and me, which is why a cup of coffee at Starbucks now costs $5.00. And, if you think burger flippers should make more tha CNAs and people with college degrees, your thinking is skewed.

Agreed. And since MT experience doesn't count - for much in finding another -sm-

[ In Reply To ..]
office job, many of us will be looking at fast food, retail, and other similar industries, even if only temporarily, until such time (if ever) that we find what some MTs deem a more "meaningful" job.

MT experience does count for much if you explain - It correctly on your resume
[ In Reply To ..]
How to do that has been explained here many times.

At the very least, you have the qualifications for many jobs in medical records, ward clerks, medical secretary, as well as outside medicine.

You can also apply what you know to learning a new career in coding. It will give you a considerable advantage in school and on the job.

Where do we stand? - hopeless

[ In Reply To ..]
Here I am worried unemployed and worried about how I am going to pay my bills at the end of the month. I am a recent grad, unable to find work because, as you know, most companies want MTs with experience, and to make matters worse, I got an email from my school asking me to pay for a refresher course by getting deeper into debt. How insensitive is that?
Before enrolling into the course, I had zero credit card debt. I used my credit card to pay for the training and buy all sorts of equipment (computer, software, books, 3 headsets, etc.) They all are sitting here, useless to me.
So, here is what I think about this business, we make every else rich (from training programs, to doctors, book makers and publishers, MTSOs, software developers) you name it, we make them rich and what's in it for us, a big fat nothing.
The refresher course is supposed to help me pass employment tests, but the last test I took, I got 47 out of 50. I received a polite email from the company saying that the test score was not enough; they needed experience.
What I need right now is a job so I can eat and pay my bills. I feel like an idiot.

You are NOT an idiot and not hopeless. - Stop that.

[ In Reply To ..]

My heart aches for what you're going through.  I hate the companies that reel in all of these good people like yourself, with lies about the big bucks an MT will make after graduating from their courses.  All of those companies should be sued for fraud.  They KNOW there are very few (or no) jobs for newbies in this field.  The companies that hire newbies either pay really, really low or they have a bad reputation (like Nuance and M-Modal).  But please don't feel that there's anything wrong with YOU.  There is not.  You're an honest human being who thought you were making a good investment in what you were told was a lucrative career.  

Maybe others on this board will give you some ideas for companies that hire newbies OTHER than Nuance and M-Modal.  

I'll be saying a prayer that something good will turn up for you. 

You signed hopeless. Did you read these boards - prior to taking training

[ In Reply To ..]
Had you been in training for awhile, just how did you decide to start this profession? The observation here has been now and for years and years about the decline in this type of work. This job is like so many jobs, you have to have experience before landing a ? good job.

What school was that? - Sounds like a scam.

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

MT grad - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so sorry this has happened to you. Did your training course tell you up front that you would be able to move into a job? Did it guarantee any leads? I only ask because all of us on this board were here once, needing a job, couldn't get a job without experience, couldn't get experience unless we got a job! And yes, the field is declining and has been for several years. However, I took a course from Medical Transcription A-Z over 15 years ago. Great company, great owner, great course. The golden key was that upon completion/graduation, I received a reference letter from the company, since I not only had course work, but many, many tapes (yes, real cassette tapes, back in the day) of actual dictation. The letter of reference truthfully stated that I completed transcription for their company in a timely manner, etc. etc.,and that letter was what got my foot in the door many years ago. I have never been without a job since that time. True, most of the jobs and the pay today are horrible, but I have managed to eke out a living and pay my bills because that training course had my back from the very start. Please hang in there, because us oldies are all giving up and I anticipate there will be a lot of room for newbies in the very near future.

Why the blanket statement, us oldies are - all giving up?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have found you can only speak for yourself. I am up in my 70s and have no plans for retirement - yet.
What's age got to do with it? - proudmary
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't mean oldies with regard to age. I mean oldies with regard to just having been in this profession for a while. I know a 20-year MT who is not even 40 years old. It didn't have anything to do with chronlogical age, just had to do with how long one has been in this particular field. It also didn't refer to retirement. There are a lot of MTs out there, all ages, who are "giving up," i.e., leaving the profession, but are nowhere near retirement age. They are looking for other types of work, and are leaving because of numerous reasons not at all related to age or to retirement. For that matter, someone might decide to enter the field at 60 or 70 or 80 years of age. Age and/or retirement had nothing to do with my reply to the "new" grad (who, by the way, could be any age at all).
My bad. - N/M
[ In Reply To ..]

People deserve a decent wage - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
The truth is that we deserve to have a higher minimum wage. I recently had to get a job at a grocery store in the bakery because I lost my MT job and there was nothing else. I will tell you that job was so hard, you don't get to sit at all, unless you take your 15 minute break. Lifting heavy boxes of dough, lifting heavy trays with the dough put on it. I worked there for almost 3 weeks and everyday my whole body ached from this very physical job. I for one agree the people that do this kind of work should get paid more. They do some hard work with terrible working conditions. But we all should get paid more in that case.

Similar Messages:

$15.00 An Hour....lots Of People Picketing....
Apr 15, 2015

I am glad to see that some kind of movement is finally happing regarding a decent minimum wage. But something else I'd like to say is that I read somewhere (not here, but on the Huffington Post or somewhere) that Chelsea Clinton said she "does not care about money." Then the article went on to say that she and her husband Mark just bought an apartment in New York City around Gramercy Park for 10.5 MILLION DOLLARS. Nice to not have to be able to care about money. We'd just l ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

Is $14 Per Hour Too Low For QA Pay?
Dec 15, 2009

NM ...

$4.22 An Hour
Aug 06, 2010

Today I made $4.22 in one hour, doing one report; however, I am not entirely disgruntled. I only left one blank and have a sample for next time. There is a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the blanks after extensive researching online. ...

$10 An Hour
Sep 24, 2010

I need to find a job that averages more than $10 an hour. I have 20 years' experience in med trans and am a fast typist, but with the slow platforms and the constant "breakdowns" and being out of work, I am only averaging $10 an hour. Another problem is my line counts have dropped from 250 per hour to around 100 and cannot figure out why.  Any ideas?  Thanks ...

Best Hour EVER
Oct 19, 2010

I've been doing MT forEVER.  Today I pushed the envelope as hard as I could and I transcribed 734 lines in one hour.  I was totally "on," dictators were great, and being in the zone helps.  I doubt I will ever replicate it, my hands are still trembly! LOL!  But I wanted to see what I could do. Nice to still get some firsts after a lifetime in this field and firsts that are positives, not negatives! ...

$3 An Hour
Dec 02, 2010

So I have been working for a few months now but it is so hard to increase my line count. First of all quality comes before quantity, but I also have so many different physicians that it seems impossible to increase my line count. I also have a lot of ESL docs, but I do prefer them over a doc who mumbles. Right now I am making about 3-4 bucks an hour. It stinks. Would you work for that amount?? ...

$15 An Hour.
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know why I picked $15 an hour for this little experiment, but for some reason it strikes me that across the board that's about what a lot of MTs are averaging these days.  Could be a bit more, a bit less, but I had to pick a number. The experiment:  1.  Identify other jobs paying similar rates. 2.  Select some that generally come close to what I might call the "ambience" of MT as it now exists. I think I've found it, and here is where I wish with al ...

Took Me An Hour To Do
Apr 09, 2012

resplendent with tables and dictated through a tin can and string by a smug cardiologist who kept changing his mind. Took me over an hour to do. Checked the line count and I made $5.74. Really? And I'm supposed to be grateful I have a job. Can I draw unemployment to make up to minimum wage on that hour? ...

$12.00 AN HOUR
Jan 25, 2014

I have 25 years of MT experience.  With the decline of the MT profession, I applied for a data entry position at $12.00 an hour.  However, this company has a transcription department and has me doing transcription now, but they are still paying me $12.00 an hour.  Any thoughts? ...

So This Is What It Has Come To? $15 An Hour Max?
Feb 08, 2014

I know some of you are struggling to make minimum wage.  I have 32 years of teaching hospital experience.  I have had my own accounts.  I have had my own service.  And now after 32 years the most I can make, typing has hard and as fast as I can, is $15 an hour.  If I were 5 years older, I could retire (not that I can afford to retire, but I would get almost as much in Social Security as I get now working).I've made the big bucks.  I have had many lucrative year ...

$5 Per Hour
Mar 17, 2014

This is what I made yesterday. It seems to depend on the day. I had so many reports that had big chunks of sentences missing. Of course, as always, all medicine lists, the numbers were wrong, a few drugs spelled wrong. Vital signs wrong. Lab counts wrong. Don't you love when a new sentence starts with a number and this happens. 1. Numbering is such a huge issue still for voice rec. I know I will get a nasty email today reminding me that days like yesterday will cause MUP that j ...

By The Hour
Apr 27, 2014

Somebody somewhere got paid big bucks to devise some cockamamie formula for what they think we should achieve, lines per hour, etc, which doesn't work, does it, because every account is different, some weighted heavily toward editing and others toward transcription, some heavy ESL, others not.  There are too many variables to put us all under one roof production-wise.  If they wanted to simplify, why not pay us by the hour with an additonal ...

Per Hour Pay
Jun 27, 2014

What do you people think about a $55/ audio hour rate for transcribing?  Faxing individual notes to various MDs and uploading whole file and then individual reports to pt record to server included.  Is that enough for all that work? Thanks ...

6.60 An Hour On Second Day
Aug 28, 2014

I only made 6.60 an hour on my second day of work.  I was used to getting paid by the hour.  Did anyone else start off like this and get better? How long will it take? ...

Doing 140 Lines per Hour
Nov 19, 2009

I am now doing 140 lines per hour. Is that okay? ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...

Pay Per Hour Of Audio
Apr 22, 2010

I'm looking at a job that pays 50-55 dollars per recorded hour of audio.  This is interview or straight dictation transcription.  Does this sound okay?  I'm thinking if it takes me 2 hours to transcribe an hour, that wouldn't be such a bad deal.  I'm just not sure how long it would take me.  I do transcribe very fast...shortcuts are used for medical but can implement for this type of transcription as well.  Just not sure that the pay is reasonabl ...

2-hour, 2-hours?
Apr 28, 2010

Hello. I've got something I've been wondering about. I know that when saying something like "There is a 2-hour window ..." I should hyphenate 2-hour. What about when the word is plural? For example, 2 hours, 30 minutes, 4 days, etc. Do I hyphenate there? I work freelance for a lawyer doing SS disabilty claims, and he is extrememly laid back about rules (nor do I get any specific feedback) and I just do what I think is right, so I love to have somewhere I can go for experianc ...

Is There Such Thing As QA By The Hour
Aug 27, 2010

Are there companies that pay to do QA hourly?  If so where are they and who?  I do QA now and work 15 hours a day for less than $100 ...

How Many Lines Per Hour?
Sep 15, 2010

Trying to get an idea of how much I should be aiming for (working on building my speed).  How many lines per hour do you average?  (No VR or anything like that...just normal transcription).   Thanks!! ...

Is $12 An Hour Good Pay For QA As An IC?
Sep 19, 2010

I'm working as an IC MT right now and paid by the line, but was offered a QA position with the same company at $12 an hour.  Is this about what the going rate for QA is? ...

VR - How Much Can You Make Per Hour? Sm
Oct 13, 2010

Just out of curiosity - figure out what you make per hour doing VR.  I am looking for like $15/hr or whatever.  Then put that into the context of how much you make per hour doing straight transcription.  I don't want your name, your company or anything about you personally.  I am just curious to compare what people make doing VR paid per line translated into how much that is per hour. Thanks for any help. ...

Working For $4 An Hour
Nov 21, 2010

I am two months into my first MT position. I get to work at home, which is a wonderful thing for me  because my husband is ill. However, I am earning about $4 per hour because I am so slow.  I am accurate, but slow.  Is there a money curve where I should eventually get fast enough to at least make it to minimum wage?  I'm paid 5 cpl so I knew my pay wouldn't be big, but $4 an hour seems very sad to me because I have a year of training and going down to the school s ...

QA Pay Other Than By Lines Or By Hour
Dec 08, 2010

Hi! Just wanted to know... I have been told by others who are QA/editors that you dont always get paid by the line or by hour... some places pay them differently.  I dont understand how else you can get paid, that doesnt make any sense to me.  Anyone know anything about this?  I want to be an editor eventually but would like to at least make more than what I did when I transcribe.  thoughts? Thanks! Jiles ...