A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Newbies, know it alls, and constant complainers - Catfarm

Posted: Jul 26, 2014

I don't understand why when newbies ask valid questions they are answered by rude know it alls who have 5+ years' experience and think they are much better than someone just starting out.  We all used to be newbies.  I have 20+ years' experience and I do not think I know everything. I learn something new everyday and am willing to help anyone who needs help. Also, MTs that complain their hands hurt from editing all day, try straight transcribing all day long without using a program that pulls in the demos automatically (I'm talking about using MS-DOS).  Take some Tylenol and be happy you have a job.

Newbies, know it alls--- - do you feel better?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think most people are just trying - to help newbies

[ In Reply To ..]
avoid a mistake. This is the absolute worst time to get into the field. No one is going to hire someone without experience except for very low pay, and then how can a newbie make a living? All the reasons newbies look into being an MT has changed: Pay has dropped to where many are barely making minimum wage, stress level is high, mandatory weekends and holidays are the norm, and flexibility is almost nonexistent.

And regarding hand pain with VR and "just take some Tylenol". You have no clue. It's the repetitive nature and awkward finger placement on edit keys. With MTSOs' "active time" demands resulting in hours of repetitive hand motions with few breaks, it is much, much different than straight transcription, with more wear and tear on the hands.

Newbies - Anonymous one

[ In Reply To ..]
You are all assuming that new MTs are all going to go to work for an MTSO. There are other places to work. Someone may want to learn transcription, also become a CNA and work in a physician's office in more than one role. There are still some on site MT jobs available. Maybe someone wants to become a scribe, transcription is still a viable skill, if only for the terminology that one needs to learn. In regard to pay, I don't know anyone who starts at the top of the pay scale, regardless. I made zip in my first on site MT job but worked my way up the ladder. I agree - someone asks a basic general question about learning MT and they are attacked from all sides about what a horrible idea that is. The more skills a person has the more marketable they become. Transcription combined with other skills is a good thing. Very few employers want anyone to wear only one, that, so my suggestion is to learn all you can about a number of things and realize that transcription does not necessarily mean working at home doing the same thing all day long.

Whether MTSO or not, again, the reality is that being - hired with no experience

[ In Reply To ..]
Straight out of MT school is currently extremely difficult. The odds of being hired and paid a good wage is even more rare. And the main reason most newbies choose MT in the first place is to work at home, not, for example to work as a scribe following a doctor around for $10 an hour.

Just the fact that community colleges and online schools that previously taught MT are no longer doing so is telling.

A big part of this - message board...

[ In Reply To ..]
some call it complaining, some call it whining, some call it venting. If you don't like it, don't read it... simple.

Anyone with even 1 year experience would probably not advise someone asking about MT schools or equipment to enter this field now. It's a waste of time, money and sanity. If an MT wannabee couldn't figure that out after looking at this board for about 5 minutes, then others are being kind by spelling it out for them.

To any potential newbie considering MT now I say trust me, people aren't just making this stuff up; it's a real *expletive deleted* mess out here now. There's nothing rude about telling the truth.

lol - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There's a reason they sent us all home to work!

Amen, girl - Agreed. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Newbies, etc. - Ohmyachingfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Completely agree with helping others. As for the sore fingers and hands, yup, I have that and use wrist and hand braces that truly help. Given the current situation with unemployment, I'm thankful to have the job I do have even if it pays next to nothing.

I can't speak for others as far as not being willing to help newbies, however, I think that most words, terms, etc. can be found through research, which is a big part of our job. Having the answer handed to a newbie won't help him/her learn to research. Of course, there are many instances in which virtually only an experienced MT will likely know the answer. That said, I'm old school in believing if you don't have something nice to say...just don't say it.

Personally, I don't understand name calling. - Now why is that necessary to any point? Only

[ In Reply To ..]
belittles and takes any credibility away from poster and point gets lost in attitude.

Similar Messages:

Too Many Whiners And Complainers
Aug 21, 2010

About once a week I check in to see what is happening with others in the transcription field.  It seems to me that there is a lot of whining and complaining about too much work, lack of work, not enough pay, outsourcing and whatever else hits the MTs fancy.  I for one am grateful that I have not one job but two in this economy.  If one should suddenly tank due to lack of funds, outsourcing more or lack of management skills I will have the other to fall back on.  I haven' ...

Antebrachial Fascia With *alls* Release
Aug 12, 2013

"I then performed radical synovectomy around each of the flexor tendons, and carpal tunnel and distal volar compartment of the wrist, the antebrachial fascia with *alls* release for several centimeters." ...

Constant Complaining...?
Jan 07, 2013

I just have to ask, in all sincerity, why does everone on here just bash all of these services to death?   I have rarely found a good word from people about the places that they've worked for.   You mean no one has had an enjoyable moment at any of these companies??  It just seems very odd to me that this is the way this board is run.... Is this really the case....that ALL of these services are garbage?  Come on....There has to be some service that is a decent ...

Constant Sitting
Jan 29, 2015

With MM's restrictions on pretty much everything, how often does everybody get up to take a break?  Previously I could get up and stretch, walk away for a few minutes before downloading the next job, but now I get reprimanded for inactive time.  How long do you work before standing up?  Do you stand and work at the same time sometimes.  I have severe RLS and to top that off my chair is like sitting on a brick.  Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks! ...

Everything They Do Is Geared For CONSTANT Turnover
Jun 25, 2014

People in, people out. Like a giant sucking funnel pulling us down and out as fast as the Board of Directors acquires hundreds coming in with each new hospital or clinic account "acquisition."  The pressure on you and me to quit is purposeful. It is what they PREFER. That way they don't have to keep firing people. Their luck with firing can run out and they know it. (Just the right lawyer, just the right set of documents proving their wrongdoing, just the right claim) could get ' ...

Constant Use Of Profanity By A Boss At My Company?
Feb 14, 2010

I have a supervisor at my company who constantly uses profanity when I speak to her on the phone, and constantly bashes MTs and other employees, so I'm sure she bashes me to others as well.   She even does this on conference calls.  I am always shocked at this behavior each and every time she does it. I find this so unprofessional and it makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't want to tell the owner/HR person.  It makes the company look bad.  How would you ha ...

Constant Auditing Until Can't Even Work Anymore
Jan 20, 2014

I currently work for one of the nicest and kindest companies and that are known for treating their employees with respect and kindness, hardly. I have been doing this for 15 years now and doing at home for 4 years and never had this problem. I being constantly picked apart and audited and t hreatened that I'm physically sick and so nervous to work that I can't make enough to pay the bills anymore. Now I'm even on 100% QA which decreases my pay even more. They have never showed me ...

I Am Tired Of Getting Constant Emails About Client Audits.
Nov 04, 2013

Always 3-4 emails after a week's worth of work with the 'corrections'. It is frustrating because I cannot hear what they say was dictated! If I am so bad at this, why keep me?? Although, who knows, maybe other people are getting more emails than I am. Of course, this was an account the TSM was so angry with our group because we "only" scored 99.5% accuracy and thus failed our audit. Can't wait until I am outta here! ...

Wondering If Anyone In My Group (constant Mandatory OT Of Late) Is Having Trouble, Sm
Jan 11, 2014

with this.  Almost daily now I am getting email saying mandatory OT.  I know this is great and should not complain as we could all use more money but I do this PT for a reason and have a jammed pack scheduled around my work schedule.  If time allows, I will gladly do it but I am starting to feel stressed out about these daily emails.  Do you all work every MANDATORY OT or do you ignore, just wondering because I really do not want to call my whatever she is called these days.& ...

Microfracture S/l "alls" Were Then Brought Sm
Jul 03, 2013

The trochlear lesion is débrided with the suction shaver and then the curette is brought in to take off the calcified layer adjacent to the bones to prepare it for microfracture chondroplasty. The microfracture s/l alts/alls were then brought in and microfracture was performed.  You can tell this is not my regular doctor and they are going 100 miles a minute because they are used to the regular transcriptionist of 15 years!!  Thanks for any help!     ...

No $ For Newbies
Dec 06, 2011

How long is one considered a newbie?  I'm currently working as an IC for .055 ppl and have been for about 6 months.... I really need to work for a better paying company.... is it normal to have such a low-paying job for the first year? ...

How Many Newbies Are Here?
Jan 12, 2015

There seem to be a lot of posts from newbies recently.  I just started last week.  How many others are here who have just started in the past week or two?  I wish there was a way we could connect.  Wouldn’t it be great to get to know the others on our team/account? ...

MT Work For Newbies
Jan 18, 2010

I saw these companies that were hiring with no experience. I don't know about the pay or anything else about these companies. http://www.etransplus.com/careers/ http://kmmedicalt.com/careers.html ...

To All The Newbies And I Guess All MQ MT's.
Jan 23, 2010

I have been with MQ, well. . . , FOREVER unfortunately.  I found out about the board when I was googling something about Medquist about 2-1/2 years ago.  How did you all find out about this board! ...

Isn't It Interesting That Newbies Are Getting
Jul 01, 2010

us oldies are getting below 98%, in some cases waaayy below, after years or decades of exemplary work, with raises, etc. How much more obvious can it get that they're downsizing the highest paid (and most experienced) MT/ME, to hire the newbies and get the tax breaks. Makes me SICK, so I resigned a couple weeks ago and feel absolutely in shock that I did it, finally, and trust in God for a better job. ...

Investing In Newbies
Aug 16, 2010

(Creaky voice) Baaaack when I was starting out... I had neither experience nor education, except my own attempts at self-training by reading "Taber's Medical Encyclopedia," and typing practice from "Norton's Anthology of Poetry." After 3 weeks of mailing resumes to local offices, I had decided to give up on finding an MT job. It looked like no experience, no hire. Then I took part in a transcription "casting call" at a large FP clinic. I tested horribly for speed (12 wpm), got stuck fo ...

For The Newbies Who Come Here And Get Scared
Nov 10, 2010

I want the newbies who come here and read the complaints and get scared about "what have I gotten myself into" to realize that not everyone is unhappy at MedQuist.  Keep in mind that they have literally thousands of employees and only a handful come here to vent their unhappiness (which is fine, I understand, not everyone is going to be in an ideal situation).  I think it very much depends on your circumstances as to how life will be at MQ.  I was a new grad hire and once I ...

Newbies Asking The Question
Jan 18, 2011

I see it here often and I just read it again, misplaced on the Job Seeker's forum: "I just graduated from an MT school and everything requires experience.  How do I get experience?" This is a question that needs to be addressed with the schools you are choosing.  And it should be asked BEFORE you start the course.  There are courses that are less expensive but they lack various key components-- like instructors, placement assistance, etc.  (That's not addressing t ...

Would Having The RMT Credential Help Newbies??
Feb 18, 2011

xx ...

Nuance Newbies
Oct 16, 2012

For those of you new Nuance MTs, how do you like it there so far?  Thanks! ...

To Newbies Of Synernet Are You All
Sep 03, 2013

Hi!  First I want to say I love my accounts and can get my minimum and more WHEN I don't run out of work. Are you all running out of work? It's getting to the point I am thinking of finding another job. I hate to as I really like it here.  Thanks for reading ...

Nuance For Newbies!
Sep 08, 2014

signing bonuses, too!! ...

To Keeping My Head Up And Other Newbies
Oct 25, 2009

There is good reason that these ladies sound a little negative.  It is not about you, your initiative, or your dedictation.  They do know what they are talking about, but they did not even begin to explain to you why, probably not enough room or time!  This industry has changed drastically.  You can not believe the ads you read about being an MT, great money, work your own hours, train in 2-4 months, blah, blah, blah.  None of that is true.  This has become a low in ...

To All The Newbies Trying To Get A Start In This Business
Nov 09, 2009

I have been doing transcription for the last eight years out of my home.  I started with psychiatry for the company I was working for in-office and then was fortunate enough to get to do it at home.  However, I had never done transcription before this point.  I started checking into jobs online and since I knew I didn't have medical experience, I really didn't bother applying for any jobs in that field.  I would apply for transcription jobs outside of the realm of m ...

Companies That Hire Newbies
Dec 03, 2009

I have a friend who is looking for an MT job. She is just about done with school. Can anyone help me out with companies who hire newbies? I know there was a list on here at one time, long ago, but I cannot seem to find it. I think it was actually on the "old" board.   Thanks! ...

MQ Seems To Be In A Hiring Frenzy For Newbies.
Mar 11, 2010

There seems to be a lot of newbies coming on here starting with MQ.  I guess out with the old, in with the new. Good luck to all the newbies.  May the force be with you.  I'll leave the light on for you when I go . . . . . . ...

Question For Employed Newbies
Jun 30, 2010

Hi everyone, I am just wondering about when you first started that first job. How long were you in 100% QA? How long does it take before they let you do what you do without watching every file you hand in? At what point do they trust a newbie to be on there own? I know that it is different for everyone, but I am just looking for a ballpark figure here. Thanks in advance. ...

Useful Word Shortcuts, Especially For Newbies!
May 15, 2010

Came across this article on another forum - has a list of useful word shortcuts. Quite a handy list, particularly for newbies. Thought I'd share! http://hubpages.com/_hubmis/hub/Useful-Microsoft-Word-Shortcut-Keys-To-Save-Time ...

Some Advice For Fellow Newbies
Aug 02, 2010

As a former “newbie”, I would like to offer a little bit of advice to other newbies.  When I first got into medical transcription, I thought that some of the advice given on these boards was a little harsh and sometimes downright nasty.  Without a doubt, there are always going to be some nasty people on message boards, but overall, I think most of the advice given here is well intentioned.  Let me explain a little bit of my story.   I was unemployed for about si ...

2-3 Newbies To Replace 1 Veteran MT
Nov 02, 2010

Just read another interesting article in that it is estimated that it will take 2-3 newbie MTs to replace 1 veteran MT.  Something all these corporate MTSOs better start thinking about.  Once they run all the veteran MTs off, find demand is shifting back to onshore transcription, then what are they going to do.  Even if they pay newbies lets say a mere 6 cpl...that's 18 cpl if it takes 3 to replace 1 veteran, and the veteran makes probably 9 cpl (maybe 10) so it is costing th ...