A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I was warned of a potential bad employer by checking - Tin ear

Posted: Apr 30, 2013

this forum and I backed out because I had to purchase software and would be "micromanaged" too closely. I found myself on the offensive and caught the recruiter off guard because I told him I had no money to buy software because MTs are so poor. It was beautiful just to hear his jaw drop! I felt tremendous just to boycott this industry in my own way.

Do not believe everything you read.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It is extremely sad to read posts such as these. Most posts against companies are due to posters who had an ax to grind in some form or another, mostly because they were called on QA,and not reality, at least in my experience. Also, not to in any way put you down, but in order to make money, you have to spend money as well. You never know until you tried...

Case in point: As a newbie, I took a job on page count when I had only heard of line count. Luckily, I took it, as it was the very most profitable job I ever had, making more money than most in 1 month than most people make in 1 year.

Take everything you read with a grain of salt. There are always 2 sides to a coin.

Yes, do take it with a grain of salt, including the cheerleading posts. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
There are people with an ax to grind who post here, but there are also people who speak the truth.

I used to come on this board 10 years or so ago and the tone was entirely different. There were lots of happy MTs who would sing the praises of their MTSO and very few disgruntled posters.

Fast forward 10 years and this board is basically nothing but negativity.

It would be ridiculous to think that a new breed of nasty, negative MTs sprang forth rather than that the industry has changed and MTSOs no longer treat the MT with any respect.

I work for the 2 Big Evil MTSOs and they both have positives but both have very true and very bad negatives.

So, yeah, get out the salt shaker but sprinkle it on your hand and take it with a shot of Tequila because you need a strong drink to face the realities of the MT world today.

'make more money in 1 month than most people make in 1 year' - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Really? You are doing the same thing, but at the opposite end of the spectrum (and let me guess, the name of the company is a big "secret" and you won't' share, even though this board is supposed to be a resource for exactly that). I'm still making a reasonably good living at being an MT, but absolutely pay attention to everything I see here and elsewhere posted on this industry. I do notice, however, that posts like yours tend to be vague, whereas the majority of negative posts at least have details.

Personally, I trust that most MTs are intelligent enough to take in all the information (negative/positive) and make their own decisions. That's what I do, and I think both sides are pertinent.

more money in a month than people make in a year - baaa freakin haaaa

[ In Reply To ..]
IMPOSSIBLE! I would venture to say most people would make at least 25,000 a year. So this "NEWBIE" made that a month? $6250 a week? COME ON!
money in a year.... - you are wrong about your proposed amount
[ In Reply To ..]
at this point in time, I would be extremely happy with $25k a year!! After doing my taxes this year, adding up the numerous 1099s I had gained during the year trying to find a decent job and maintain it, but losing out to India, VR, and EMR, and then also adding up my expenses through the year, my income from MT was $1053! My fed taxes were $52 and I owed State nothing. If it had not been for my savings from previous better years, I would be under a bridge living high off the hog! Don't "assume" that most people would make $25K in a year, because you would be wrong. So, "reasonably" with my annual "income" this year, yes, she could very well make in one month what I made all year!! (other side of the coin).
she said MOST PEOPLE, not MOST MTs! - read people
[ In Reply To ..]
And NO... There is no way a newbie starting out in the MT world is making more in one month than MOST PEOPLE make in an entire year.
IT'S AN MT BOARD - Can only ASSUME that by PEOPLE
[ In Reply To ..]
she meant MTs. stop YELLING!

company - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I worked for was Horizons Transcription in California. She has since retired. I was making around $9000 per month or more just on my transcription, transcribing their office account.

Now you understand why I did not bother posting the name? It is no longer in business.

Keep an open mind. She had no website or anything. I had never heard of page rate.

I take wildly outrageous earning claims with a grain of salt... - Infomercial Anyone?

[ In Reply To ..]
If it's too good to be true...

spend money to make money? - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't work for a company that told me I had to purchase their software. They should provide that for you. Otherwise, I'd think it's a scam and would not take the job.

Similar Messages:

Tell The Potential 2nd Employer About The 1st?
Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb! ...

Isnt It Illegal For A Potential Employer To Ask Your Age?
Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal. So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out ...

Is It True That, As An IC, A Potential "employer" Cannot
Aug 20, 2014

ask if you work for another place right now?  I thought that they could not ask that. ...

MY SIL Warned Me Not To Go To Work For Nuance But I Did...sm
Sep 02, 2014

It actually has been the best move I have made in a long time.  I am never out of work (even when it would be nice occasionally).  I am averaging over $18 an hour and most of the time closer to $21.  My primary is not easy by any means. Lord these ESLs make me want to scream; however, it is a mix of speech and straight typing and I make over 5 and 9 respectively.  I have a secondary but have yet had the opportunity to work on it.  I work on Exeditor which is a program I ...

Getting Warned About QASAR Kicking In Today.
Feb 23, 2010

My question:  If I do not pass my audit (good chance I will not for MANY reasons), and the outcome is getting fired, WILL I BE ABLE TO COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT AND GET TAA.  I would like to go back to school, no matter what the outcome is, and of course collect unemployement while attending school. I have been an MT for 30 years.  My audits are usually 97.8 and hard to get 98% ALL THE TIME with the horrible dictators.  If I get a couple of good dictators, then it is at 100%, lik ...

MME - Really More Pay Potential Or Not?
Oct 08, 2011

It has been suggested to me by my CCM that I apply for MME position, stating I will definitely make more $$$.  My gut says no I won't but I have nothing to back that up.  Any first-hand experience out there to confirm or negate my intuition?  ...

Potential Scam
Sep 19, 2012

I was contacted by a company wanting to interview by chatting.  I did all that, and it sounded so great.  Set your own hours, work as much as you want, etc.  All I had to do to get started was pay $295 for the software they use.  I did some fast Google searches in another window and decided not to.  They pointed out that as an Independent Contracter, I was responsible for my own equipment.  I pointed out that I bought my own hardware, which is almost universall ...

Potential New Hire
Dec 07, 2013

I've had a job offer with a transcription company..however, my problem is I'm required to have MS Word, version 2007 or 2010,,,no student/teacher/starter or trial editions....and I've gone to Best Buy, E Bay and Amazon.  The cheapest I have found to dowload it is $300 !!  That's not happening....so, is there a less expensive way ??? If not, I'm faced with turning down this job offer.   HELP !! ...

Potential Jobs --
Apr 10, 2015

These were listed on a recent Duke Career email I got. I think they are on-ground. I'm on the West coast. Tomah Memorial Hospital Transcriptionist Tomah (WI), Posted: Monday Mar 30th Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Transcriptionist Boston (MA), Posted: Thursday Mar 26th MidMichigan Health Sr Medical Transcriptionist Midland (MI), Posted: Thursday Mar 26th Miraca Life Sciences Transcriptionist Union (NJ), Posted: Thursday Apr 2nd ...

Just Checking..
Jan 17, 2010

Do you cap the C in C-section? ...

Just Checking...
Apr 19, 2010

I was just checking to see if q.a.m. is an acceptable abbreviation.  I know that q.d. isn't, but other than that one, there are very few listed in my reference text.  Is there anywhere online that I can find a general idea of which ones are consistently not allowed? Thanks! ...

? S/l Asmedicine Revoke Potential
Jan 26, 2010

Patient has a history or balance problems.  sentence reads: She also had s/l asmediciine revoke potential which showed abnormal bilateral tibial s/l mad sensory evoke potentials in normal positions and "budda positions". ...

Potential Complication From Laparoscopic
Sep 23, 2010

"Risks, benefits, and potential complications were discussed with the patient, in particular _________ (s/l  *tomboy buttock*)  phenomenon".     (Pt. is a male). ????? ...

Inscribe For Potential Emplyment
Feb 06, 2012

How is Inscribe to work for.  Do they hire IC or just employees. I know we have talked about this before on here but just wanted to see if anyone was hired recently that would have an opinion on them.  I have gotten several emails from them regarding employment and have not pursued that. ...

Need Advice For A Potential Client
May 13, 2013

Hi, I wondered if some of you who have your own accounts or who have had your own accounts could give me some information.  I have been asked if I would like a part-time dermatology account as an independent contractor in my town.  They said I needed my own transcription software with ability to provide itemized report with invoices.  I know I could use Express Scribe, but what would I need for the itemized report with invoices.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would l ...

Keystrokes, As Bad As NU Or MM? Potential Offer
Aug 19, 2013

X ...

For Any Potential New Nuance Acquisition
Jun 21, 2014

Every time there is a hospital or clinic acquisition, those "acquired" MTs will be crammed onto existing accounts as their own account/work types become more streamlined and less available as more and more of it is done more efficiently with voice wreck and 3 shifts of people to do the work. Think of it like when a larger dog moves into a pen already crowded with too many dogs. All the pre-existing dogs have to scooch over yet again (exist on less) to make room for the new dog in the cage.& ...

Just Checking Prices
Aug 10, 2010

I just wanted to compare prices with other MTs that are using similar services.... My FTP site - $25 monthly  (up to 5 users) Digital Dictation System - I pay $0.17 per minute for telephone dictation and $0.10 per minute for imported dictation (from hand-held recorders). The recorders are $299 each (Olympus 2400) with a $150 one-time set-up fee.  I am interested in cutting costs if any other MT has a less expensive system they could refer me to.   Thanks!     ...

Are We Checking QC's Work?
Sep 08, 2013

Are we double checking QCs work by going into Fiesa and looking through what they have QC'd?  Is it a means of checking the work to make sure it goes to the clients nearly perfect? This crossed my mind before, but just not asked. ...

Checking FIESA
Jul 03, 2014

Today my TSM sent out a list of people who have to check their FIESA scores.  She used their names instead of their HR numbers.  This really bothers me and I can only imagine the people mentioned feel, well, like crap.  Oh, and she congratulated us for bringing our FIESA scores up to 94%.  Well who would after being bombarded with emails about that.  ...

Potential Employers Interview Process
Mar 22, 2011

So I graduated in February and began the job hunt.  Finally I receive one call back from a local company. To date I have attended two seperate interviews. The second time I was supposed to test but the computer was not working so a couple of weeks later they schedule testing at one of the transcriptionist house.  I test and the computer freezes up.  Luckily the test is recovered the next day and sent to the boss for review.  Get another call today, and am told that ...

Cold Contacting Potential Clients
May 31, 2011

Anyone have any helpful suggestions on cold contacting potential clients. Better by email, mail, fax or phone? Which would be thought of as the most professional? ...

Potential To Switch From Straight Transcription To SR?
May 15, 2013

Hi - I have been doing acute care work for this client as an IC for almost two years. While I enjoy the work, I know it is probably in my best interest to start doing some SR work as well. The company I work for just asked their ICs if anyone is interested in learning the SR platform for some new SR work that is coming onboard. I am currently only making .07 cpl! I know that SR line rates are generally lower since the "assumption" is you can go a bit faster, can anyone give me a fair id ...

Spellcheck Not Checking CAPS
Feb 23, 2010

My spellchecker is not checking for words in all caps, such as in headings.  I have Windows XP and Word.  Does anyone know where I am supposed to look to find and correct this?  I know this probably sounds dumb to you smart MTs out there, but I really just don't know where to look and how to fix this.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. ...

2010 W2 Still Through ADP? Making Sure I'm Checking The
Jan 19, 2011

nm ...

Why Are We Not Checking Out Companies That Don't Outsource?
Jan 25, 2011

there are jobs over there on the job seekers board that say no outsourcing, US only.  we are unhappy here.  are those companies bad too? ...

The Sclerae Were/was White? (just Checking)
Feb 23, 2011

. ...

Checking/unchecking Options
Mar 04, 2011

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time I have audio highlighted and the one below it checked under Tools/Options, that I have to go back in and uncheck them because some dictator is putting things out of order.  I give up!  I guess I'll just have to leave them unchecked.  Anyone come up with an easier solution?  I can't think of any. Little things are irritating me tonight. ... ...

Ultipro - Checking Pay Stubs
Oct 20, 2011

Would anyone happen to know who we contact when my password is locked out?  I have tried answering my security questions and it will not allow me to continue.  I wasn't sure if I need to put a QCare ticket or is there someone else to contact to get it reset. Thank you. ...

Softscript, Always Seeing Ad For Them, Thinking Of Checking Them Out
Jan 10, 2012

etc.  TIA ...