A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

For All Who Would Suggest Not Paying for an MT Program - Jean

Posted: Dec 28, 2012

So for those here who would suggest not paying for an MT program and I definitely understand why what would you suggest as the way to get any type of experience so that I might have a better chance to get an MT job ? Even part time would be helpful at this point !

I think the point of suggesting not to pay for an MT - program is that its a dying field.

[ In Reply To ..]
For the same reasons I wouldn't pay money to learn shorthand. While shorthand can still come in handy on occasion, it's not possible to make a career of using it. Same with medical transcription. Even the best, most experienced and knowledgeable MTs working today are having trouble making enough money at it to survive. In a few years, it may disappear from the US altogether, with maybe a few exceptions.

If you're willing to pay for a career education, you should look for something that IS actually a career, and not a dead end, downward spiral like medical transcription.

exactly - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and as others have mentioned: if you have a a degree in coding, concentrate on getting experience and employment in that field. It's hard for me to understand how taking a course in a dying field is going to help you. Unless the course is free and you have nothing else to do.

yep. 800 resumes per job opening should tell - you something, everyting actually. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
'

can you find anything else? - try

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you sure you want to get into this profession? We are all trying to get out.

Since you already comlpeted a coding program . . . - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
why not concentrate on that area? That seems to be a healthier career choice than being an MT right now.

I will say the best choice for a new MT would be to try to get in with a clinic that has in-house transcription.

Good luck to you.

Getting Into Coding - Jean

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated with my coding degree last year and have had trouble getting my foot in the door at even at dr's office. Many of them want you to be certified and with experience so they don't have to pay to train you. My college did not even make an attempt to help me find a job. That's why I am trying alternatives until I get get my foot in the door maybe after 2014 when ICD-10 comes out and there is possibly more flexibility with experience requirements

However - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't have to have experience to take the certification exams. I would definitely work on that first before even considering an MT career.
Coding Exam Cost - Jean
[ In Reply To ..]
My challenge at least right now that I am running into is with 4 years unemployed many employers specifically recruiters have told me that is a huge bullseye to my not being chosen to move further in the process even though 2 of those 4 yrs were spent in school getting my degree. There is nothing wrong with me I am one among many hundreds who apply for each job and I need to at least find some kind of employment even if I have to do MT and hold down a 2nd job to keep my home. The coding exam is $300.00 not exactly money I have just freely sitting around if I did believe me I would have already taken the exam earlier this year.
So... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You'd rather spend thousands on an MT education than save up $300 for an exam that would help you get a job in a field you already went to school for? Makes no sense.
So - Jean
[ In Reply To ..]
No that's not what I am saying at all. I am saying I am looking at MT not necessarily as a windfall of money that much is obvious by what I have ready here so far but more as an addition to likely a part time position I may have to get in addition. I am looking at alternatives to being constantly turned down for jobs for far because of a 4 year gap in my resume. Just like you can be discriminated against because of age etc employers are starting to discriminate because of long term unemployment though of course they won't say as much it is happening and is not illegal. I would consider spending the money if and only if I knew it would give me a better chance at finding a job. I am just trying to look at all sides of this right now.
Honestly... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You really should not have spent money on coding school if you were not going to get certified. Certification is crucial in coding.

Also, you mention again doing MT. I hope you read my message on your thread below. You can't just get into MT and start making money. I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated. It's not any easier than coding (I've gone to school for both).

When I graduated from my MT class, myself and only 1 other person in the class were actually even able to do MT after going to school. For the others, it was just too difficult. The other girl only lasted in transcription for 2 years and she got out. This was back in the 1990s. Things are much more difficult now.

Get certified, network locally, try to find any job you can in a local hospital, or do something not in the medical field, but don't fool yourself thinking you can spend money on an MT program and start making money anytime soon.
Honestly - Jean
[ In Reply To ..]
Getting certified takes money the current rate for the CPC exam is $300.00 the CCS which is an AHIMA credential is also $300.00. I am realistic enough to know that MT is not easy any more than coding was easy when I went through my classes for that program. I don't want to make millions of dollars at transcription and I have repeated this many times in my posts right now I have no income at all so even SOME money even as little as $10 would help my situation. I am facing foreclosure on my home and with only 1 income in my family right now and many employers wanting education certification AND experience in coding getting even a crack in the door is not as easy as some might think.
Research.... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You should have known before you began the coding program that you would need $300 to get certified. You should have also made sure that the program had some sort of placement assistance.

I see a pattern here. You are repeating the it regarding an MT program.

Everyone here is telling you that this is a dead-end road. Even if you are not hoping to make millions, do you understand the timeline involved?

You will need to finish an MT program, then it will take a substantial amount of time to even make $10 an hour doing MT. Many here who have 20+ years' experience are receiving unemployment supplement because they are not even making minimum wage.

There is what you hope for, and then there is reality. Reality is you have no chance of making a decent income any faster with MT than you do with coding.
Point Taken - Jean
[ In Reply To ..]
I get the point. Honesty and all and everything eles that has been mentioned here. Hope and reality you're right are two different things. And I hope I can find a job the reality is I am having a hard time finding one. Hope is I can keep my home reality is I might not be able to. So many times people will tell you the more education you get the more chance you have getting a job. The reality is because of the still struggling economy you might not be able to find one even with the education.

Jean, I will not tell people how to enter MT because I - will not assist such a costly mistake. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
And the costs in cumulative lost income, including lost years not developing skills in another field, years of wasted effort, diminished self respect and confidence, even shame at being so foolish are enormous by the time the typical person gives up.

Low-level clerical pays an average of $30K a year. Assuming 3 years wasted in MT, finally averaging minimum wage in the final year (many never do better), $90K potential minus say $35K for the 3 years equals $45 THOUSAND DOLLARS LOST, on top of expenses for training, equipment, perhaps medical bills because of bad insurance, lost pay increases from rising in position in another job, etc., etc., etc.

BTW, this is calm work for a skilled MT, but it is NOT easy. MT requires BOTH eyes, BOTH hands, BOTH ears, and the ENTIRE brain be focused on it the ENTIRE time clocked in, continually push-push-pushing to be fast because you cannot afford to relax. Not exactly a work-at-home holiday.

Your first paragraph sums up my life! -(sm) - Dream 2 B an X-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Until just this year, actually, I never, EVER, had trouble getting a job. I have no gaps in my work history, beginning back in 1970! I got every single job I ever applied for, in and out of the MT field.

I used to make a decent, comfortable living. I supported myself, paid my bills, socked some money into savings and retirement fund, even occasionally took a vacation and travelled to other countries.

The doctors, and some of my better management people in the past, used to appreciate my hard work and my MT skills. During previous recessions, the MT field was always recession-proof. While my graphic designer, teacher, scientist and software engineer friends were out of work, I had plenty of job security in MT.

So, foolishly (except who could've known, 15 or 20 years ago?), I put all my eggs in one basket - the MT basket. I kept up my skills, went to word processing courses and over the course of years of MT, learned many word processing software types, in addition to MS Word and Word Perfect. But, because I was pigeonholed into MT, my other office skills started to get outdated, because they were no longer needed. When I first became an MT, we were actually still classified as Medical Secretaries. We copied, filed, took notes at meetings, did correspondence, and maintained the dictating equipment (Dictaphones, back then). When MT became computerized, and as we shifted towards an electronic medical record, all the other duties disappeared, and we just became "Typing-Machines".

It was around that time that the first wave of disrepect began to come onshore. We were no longer the physicians' right-hand people, we were now just part of the "typing pool". Supervisors, instead of acting as coaches and mentors, in addition to supvervision, started turning into slave-drivers, partly because they, too, were afraid for their own jobs.

Originally, MTs were a rare breed. It wasn't uncommon, if I applied to more than one job at a time, to actually have them trying to out-bid each other in order to hire me. Now, instead, they tell us every day how replaceable we are, how "lucky" we are to even HAVE a job, because they may as well just send it all to India or VR.

On top of that, the current job climate is such that they feel it's necessary to make us feel like the scum of the earth, each and every day. At least once or twice a month, my supervisor lets me know that there must be "something wrong with me" - that "everyone else" is doing a bang-up job, typing lots of lines and making lots of money, and that if I "don't get my scores up (quantity and/or quality), I'll be let go. (They've been telling me this for 4 years, now.) But we all know the score on that one. They mistakenly believe that a SCARED, beaten-down employee is a "good" employee. That it will somehow make us work "harder, faster, smarter" - like they're always telling us when they keep raising the line count minimum and lowering our per-line pay scale.

Between all of that, and the fact that now, after all these years of being an MT, I'm finding that absolutely NO ONE in other fields finds my skills, both current and potential, to be of any value, is pretty disheartening. I've been poor for so long in this business, and with the added burden of the Great Recession that I think it will always be a part of my identity in the future. And with each non-reaction to job applications, and each rejection after I do land the occasional interview, my self-confidence is going right down the toilet.

I feel the exact same. Thanks for sharing that - feel so alone

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been slowly giving up. My confidence is gone and I am struggling in all aspects of my life due to this dead end carreer. I used to get raises, and felt so proud, and respected, and needed. Now I am told I need to change my schedule that I have had for 15 years, opposite shift as I am accustomed to. How am I supposed to keep doing this?

The point was not to avoid paying for an MT - course

[ In Reply To ..]
The point was to recommend not getting into MT at all as for many people it no longer provides a reliable or livable income. As the number of MT jobs shrinks, the number of experienced MTs competing for fewer jobs increases. Newly graduated MTs find it very difficult to get a job in that kind of climate.

The odds against getting an MT job without really good MT training or relevant experience are quite high. I certainly wish you luck if that's what you want to try, but I fear you will be disappointed.

Similar Messages:

Can Anyone Suggest A Good File Transfer Program?
Jan 11, 2010

x ...

Headphones. Can Anyone Suggest A
Dec 31, 2009

to buy, perhaps from Radio Shack or online?  The headset that came with my Bayscribe pedal is just a standard transcription headset.  Since many of the dictators think that whispering or talking with their mouths away from the microphone is acceptable, I need to upgrade.  Any help would be appreciated. ...

Suggest Me A Site
Oct 08, 2013

Guys,   Need a help.  As you know, UPIN (upin.ecare.com) has been discontinued.  Plz suggest me a site like UPIN which was very useful in searching docs, especially name spellings.     Thnx in advance,   Cindy ...

Time To Update My Ref Books, Dictionaries, Etc. What Do You Suggest?
Jan 18, 2011

My reference resources are starting to show their age and I've decided to update them this year. I would like an opinion as to what is really worth the $$. Ability to use within Word 2010 is a plus and CD's are preferable to books. *Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book ($41.95) vs QuickLook ($49). I currently have Saunders and really love it due to the fact that it regularly self-updates, shows methods of admin, dosages, gen/Rx, and indications for use, but is expired now and drugs are ...

Can Anyone Suggest A Good Website For Names Of Knee Braces? (sm)
Jan 28, 2010

I can hear some type of tracker brace but cannot understand clearly what is being said before that.  Have googled tracker braces but wondered if someone had a good site that they use often. TIA ...

Can Anyone Suggest A Good MTSO With Acute Care Work?
Dec 16, 2011

Over 28 years experience, about 26 years of acute care.  Now doing clinic work, which is kiling me financially! The reason I'm in clinic work is because I was a Spheris employee and former MQ, but did not want to go back to MQ when they bought Spheris.  I am now doing mainly VR clinic work and obviously, it's killing my paycheck. I am quite sure even VR acute care would be better, but I would prefer straight transcription or majority of it transcription. I would work evening ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

Paying For Course
May 28, 2013

Has anyone found any type of loan to pay for your coding programs at Andrews or Career Step that has lower payments than the school payment plans? I'm not saying their price is unreasonable. I just can't afford the payments or to pay outright.   Thanks, Kat ...

We Will All End Up Paying For Benchmark KB Etc!!!!
Mar 11, 2010

So we are all expecting to get the Benchmark KB etc etc....but did anyone but me notice that it says for 2010? I will bet that that means we will have it free for the remainder of 2010 and then have to pay something to keep it after 2010. ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

Paying To Being An MT - Worth It?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello forum users! I am currently very interested in the MT field.  I am a fast typist, excellent speller, I have a good grasp of grammar, etc.  I am eyeing a course offered online, it seems professional and excellent and all that.  The whole thing seems perfect for me!  I would like to work from home and make my own hours while doing this. However, I recently spoke to a neighbor who is an MT, and she is losing her job to a machine.  She also claims that her MT friend ...

Any Companies Paying 9 Cpl Or Above? Sm
Oct 05, 2011

I've been looking at the job ads and have noticed a trend of very low cpl being offered.  Are there still any companies out there paying 9 or above?  I'm tired of wasting my time testing for companies only to find out during the interview process that they're only willing to pay 7 or 8 cpl.  Thanks! ...

Is The Q Paying Every Other Friday Now?
Dec 27, 2011

It used to be twice a month so I'm wondering if the every other Friday is true?  TIA ...

Is 3-T Paying For Windows 7 Pro?
Oct 16, 2012

I have to pay for it and yet others hired for 3-T say the company is paying for it.  Interesting.... ...

You'd Think They Would Get Tired Of Paying So Much UE
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't that give somebody in payroll or human resources a CLUE that there is a problem? ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Best Paying Jobs
Mar 01, 2014

I have been a working MT since 1989.   I make $400-500 a week.   I work approximately 6 hours  a day for this.    Is this an accurate pay?    I would like to hear from other MTs and what are the best paying companies to work for.    ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

FUTURENET TECH NOT PAYING
Jan 28, 2011

Did anyone else get the run around from the accounting department at FutureNet Tech today?   They normally pay every other Friday but when no deposit showed up and I inquired, the accounting department first said it would be a little later that normal then when pressed further for exactly when should I expect the pay I have been promised (promised to be paid today!) I was told it would be available tomorrow.   This is not a good sign and while I would rather like to believe t ...

Not Paying For Spaces...how Many Other Companies Now Do This?
Jun 28, 2011

My company is no longer including spaces in the line count.  The line rate has gone up a bit, but not enough to compensate for that loss in the character count. (My line count  has dropped drastically.)  Are other companies going to this new method of compensation?  I know several years ago, when I first starting MT, there was a lot of "stink" about some companies only counting "black" characters, and those were the companies everyone stayed away from.  Ju ...

Highest Paying Companies?
Nov 07, 2011

Hi MTs, Does anyone have information on the hightest paying companies?  9, 10, 11, 12 cpl?  Thanks for your input.  $20 to $25 an houir?  Is it true that voice editing is the pits? ...

Paying A Company To Work For Them?
Mar 05, 2012

I have never heard of this before.  They take money out of every paycheck (no matter how long you work for them) to pay for licensing fees?  What's up with this? ...

Exactly WHEN Did They Stop Paying Holidays?
Jun 04, 2012

I was hired last December.   I could have sworn the recruiter said "7 paid holidays" and 25% pay increase (1 cpl increase - big friggin whoop) for working a holiday.  ...

Where Are The Good Paying Positions?
Jun 29, 2012

I did not spend 35 years doing transcription to take a job paying 5, 6 or 7 cpl.  I would rather be a greeter at Walmart than to sink this low.  What the devil is happening in the transcription world.  It seems like all MTSOs are going bonkers. ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

Due To The Difficulty Of The Account, They Are Paying
Aug 28, 2012

4.5 for editing and 8 for ST?!?!  They think that is a good pay rate apparently!!  I wish that place had a dislike button!! ...

Has Anyone Checked With A Lawyer About MM Not Paying For CCs And
Nov 26, 2012

demos when we're required to spend time searching and entering them?  How can we be required to spend hours and hours a week searching & entering "required" information but not be paid for that time or those lines?  Would it be a labor lawyer? ...

Maybe MM Figures They Might Be Paying UE Anyway To Employees,
Feb 27, 2013

the time they will be paying UE.  If they fire ya, eventually UE will run out.  If they keep you as an employee, UE could go on a long time, on and off.  Maybe this says nothing good about the overall work situation, if they are willing to let MTs go.  It means TAT is easier to meet with fewer MTs and if they are willing to pay UE to ex-employees, tells me they know they will never have need of them again and eventually UE will run out. ...