A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Doctors/surgical staff making fun of - surgery patient

Posted: Apr 20, 2015

Makes me sick.  They are making fun of this man's penis size.  I know they are dictating from the OR because you can hear them trying to wake this man up in the background.  I hope he hears them.  Jerks.

As I recall, hearing is what returns first after - anesthesia, so he just might. :(

[ In Reply To ..]

You are correct - first to develop

[ In Reply To ..]
Hearing is first to develop, last to leave as you are giving up your body, you can hear when you are unconscious, under anesthesia, and hopefully this man will not remember, but it is probably something he has dealt with his entire life, so these unkind words will just meld with the rest of what he has heard and not stand out. "Healthcare" workers have nothing to do with health or caring, and are just paid to do a job and often a thankless job.

Yes, as I was waking up - Heard it all

[ In Reply To ..]
from anesthesia, I heard two nurses commenting about my size. I'm a small person and I heard them say "And she only weighs 100 pounds" and one of them stopped talking in mid-sentence when she saw that my eyes were open. I knew that was inappropriate and I wasn't happy about it, but had other things on my mind at the time and didn't speak up.

If it couldn't be traced back to that dictation that you typed, the sm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
first thing I'd do is call and anonymously report it. But you definitely can't in this case. I think it's criminal that they can make fun of an unconscious man, God knows what else they say about people.

Call and say you are a member of surgical staff - or that you heard the surgical staff SM

[ In Reply To ..]
talking about it in the break room.

No way it can be definitely proven it was you. I would do it. That is disgusting and completely lacking in respect for a human being. Every single person in that OR should be written up and disciplined and made to take some sort of bullshoot sensitivity training.

That is unlikely to be effective - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
since everyone at the hospital has by now read the article (it was in the Washington Post and several other newspapers) that likely inspired this post. The scenario described in the article was eerily similar.
What "inspired" this post - was that I just heard
[ In Reply To ..]
it during dictation yesterday, 04/20/2015, for a surgery that was performed yesterday, 04/20/2015. JHC! You think this is an isolated incident? Whatever.
The point of the article was - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
that such comments are not at all isolated or unusual. The circumstances mentioned in the post and those in one of the examples in the article were very nearly identical.

I did report - GC

[ In Reply To ..]
a PA who during her dictation of a delivery kept laughing and making jokes about the patient's last name. I was working in-house for a hospital at the time and I was so mad that I flagged the dictation and asked my medical director to listen to it. She did and the next time I heard that PA on a dictation she sounded like a completely different person dictating - sweet as pie and professional-sounding. My medical director told me that they did talk to her. I'm betting that she was really surprised to realize that there was another human being on the other end of her dictation not liking her on-air antics.

Excuse me, but did you get this from the news? - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
This was reported on national news today. Are you sure you heard this yourself in a dictation, or did you hear it on the news and think it would be a great topic for outraged discussion?

Umm, yes, I am quite sure I heard - this myself with my own little ears

[ In Reply To ..]
and, no, I didn't hear it on the news. Had I heard it on the news, I would have said: Did you all hear on the news....

So sorry to burst your little suspicious bubble.

Not our job to police the OR - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Not our job to report other people's conduct that we might overhear. Even if they were, which I doubt, people in hands-on patient care have to have some kind of outlet or they would go crazy. Usually they are far more clever and professional than to joke about such a childish thing.
No, actually they aren't all professional enough or clever enough. Making fun of the - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
patient happens in the OR. I know, I heard it happening myself when I had my nursing rotation through OR. I'm not the OP, but believe me, it does happen. People in hands-on patient care may need an outlet, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the patient. What if that patient wasn't fully sedated when they were making fun? How do you think they would feel?
This is not the "kind of outlet" any patient care worker - gets to have. Ever. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, hands on care does lead to the need for stress relief, but this isn't the kind of stress relief they get to have. Not sure what kind of twisted upbringing you had to think it's okay, but no, it's not, and the hospital would probably like to know it's going on so that they can reprimand the people and prevent themselves from being on the wrong end of a lawsuit. Last thing you want is someone with the inability to protect themselves, i.e., an anesthetized patient, being the brunt of crude jokes and comments. Like another poster said, first thing to come back from anesthesia is hearing. Would you like to be the surgical assistant pointed at under those conditions? The reason for firing would probably make getting a new job difficult. It's not rocket science.
OR - ari
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked as a radiology tech in the ER and OR for 20 years. It is very common for people to kid and joke in both these departments. That is why when I needed surgery I refused to go to the hospital I worked at. I had seen those people in action for years. Usually the mood is set by the physicians. Fortunately this joking around and kidding at the expense of the patient has gotten better for the most part. You would really have a fit if you knew what went on in dark rooms and locker rooms. You sometimes get by on dark humor and remarks because otherwise you wouldn't be able to handle all that is thrown at you. Don't judge too quickly.
My father is a doctor, best friend hospital administrator, - friends are nurses/PAs/etc
[ In Reply To ..]
It is not a judgment. Been in the grind myself and know well the dark humor and how it can be the only thing keeping you sane sometimes. I am not against it when it's not in patient areas. There is a time and place and the OR is neither. I have known those docs that set the mood too and just because they do it in that environment does not make it right.
And you voluntarily work as a medical transcriptionist? - Unbelievable.
[ In Reply To ..]
???

Similar Messages:

Doctors: Making The Roads A Little Bit More Dangerous.
Jun 20, 2010

Just had a dictator on a cell phone mid dictation say:  &!$%, went through a red light. and then continues dictating.  Just lovely.  ...

Doctors Making Us Type In An Edited Document
Jan 08, 2013

They just dont know a thing about how we are getting paid or dont care. Will you please go back and type this full medication list for me after the physical exam, thanks. Not when I am being paid 4 cents to type it! Rant over. ...

Webmedx - Have They Also Cut Staff?
Apr 29, 2011

Ask a technical question on the web form and see what response you get (hint: NONE).  Have they done away with all those people too? Maybe they are getting ready to get eaten by a bigger fish... ...

Alpha Staff
Nov 23, 2012

Anybody else having problems logging in on webclock.  I started working but have yet to be able to log in; sent note to TL.  I now have no work but was able to get 2 hours of work in - we will see how the rest of the day goes ...

Alpha Staff Letter Sm
Jan 24, 2013

Has anyone else received a letter from Alpha Staff informing that they are no longer affiliated with Nuance?  Or am I late getting this info? ...

Epic - Changes In # Of Staff In HIM Dept?
Mar 07, 2013

Hi.  I am in my third week of employment as a coder!  Yay!  I am learning a lot, still going to school FT, and commuting 1 hour each way to work.  I am the "low man on the totum pole."  We are starting to train for Epic which is supposed to be going live in a few months.  Has Epic affected the work load in that there is a reduction of coders/transcriptions where you work?  Just wondering.  I do other clerical duties such as pulling charts, abstracting, and ...

Background Nursing/support Staff
Dec 19, 2012

are at a fever pitch, as usual around the holidays. I seriously don't see how patients get any rest with all of this squealing and shrieking. ...

SAINCE TRANSCRIPTION No Longer Has A QA Staff
Apr 12, 2013

Saince Transcription no longer has a QA Staff. They let them all go about a month ago. The MTs have been divided into teams with a team leader who is doing all the QA for the team. This poor team leader is really doing the QA for nothing, they get an extra 10% on their cpl rate to offset doing the QA, but sounds like that could really cut down your production. The hospitals they type for don't even know it has happened which sounds illegal or at the very least unscrupulous. They signed ...

Doubling Transcription Staff Overseas.......
Aug 12, 2014

M*Modal Expands its Medical Transcription Operations in Mysore Posted August 11th, 2014 by Mmodal Company charts aggressive hiring plans; to double the staff count to 600 by 2015.    Mysore, August 11, 2014 – M*Modal, a leading provider of clinical documentation services and Speech Understanding™ solutions, today announced it has expanded its existing facility in Mysore. The company has set aggressive hiring plans to ramp-up the center’s headcount ...

Nuance To Hire 3000 Staff
Apr 30, 2015

Thanks to Healthcare Documentation Today facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/healthcaredocumentationtoday) for this link. Could this be the final nail in the coffin? Sounds like they're using the US business "model" for how to treat your employees like slaves and keep a track on them every minute - but they get to do their "household activity" so everything's A-okay!!! "He has no fears about employees shirking work. "All employees work on our software and log into our system. ...

Webmedx Staff Just "appearing"
Sep 12, 2010

I am seeing LOTS of new names in QA and also a new STM.  My question is this - why are these openings not posted so that all can have equal opportunity for compete for one of these positions?  Is this even legal?  I know it is not ethical, but not sure about the legality.  ...

"There Was A Time When Doctors Were Doctors" By James Ong
May 06, 2014

From the KevinPho MD site:   There was a time when doctors were doctors. There was a time when young men and women sacrificed the best years of their youth, learning to treat patients and conquer diseases, not to become typists, paper pushers, data-entry clerks, or to have hospitals, insurance companies, and the federal government dictate to us how to practice medicine.   There was a time when doctors were trusted. There was a time when we were not guilty until proven ot ...

S/l "Staff" Services.
Jan 29, 2010

Dr. says,  "The patient's s/l staff services are up."    I am pretty sure it is not staff but i dont know if it is an abbreviation or a different word.   ...

Surgical Bur
May 27, 2011

Orthopedic using diamond and s/l amnastic or amnestic bur...? ...

Surgical Hx - DCR X 3
Sep 18, 2011

Surgical hx includes DCR x3.  Nothing else in file helps with this. ...

Surgical Procedure
Nov 05, 2009

Under past medical history, s/l "Y" or "wide" procedure for aortic blockage. Can't find either relating to surgery.  Help? ...

Surgical Screw
Dec 03, 2009

In a total hip arthroplasty, s/l "Kinsella" screw was added for additional fixation. Can't find that screw. ...

Name Of Surgical Instrument
Apr 27, 2010

Has anyone heard of a mohorner ? He is doing a left thyroid lobectomy and says:  A mohorner was then utilized in order to create exposure with the midline strap muscles incised longitudinally.    ...

Surgical Drill S/l Kli-oid
Apr 29, 2010

Doing a cervical spine surgery.  The kli-oid drill, 12 mm, was used to drill down 18 mm with four drill passes. ...

Surgical History
Jun 08, 2010

In past surgical history - s/l andrognesis neuropathy ...

Need Surgical Word Help
Aug 09, 2010

I am working on a report in Head and Neck Surgery. It sounds like the doctor dictates "Bilateral poloethmoidectomy" as a procedure. I am not able to locate any such spelling. Need help. Thank you in advance. ...

Surgical Incision
Aug 31, 2010

Type of incision for sigmoidectomy and rectopexy - sounds like fantaseal. ...

Surgical Word Help
Nov 12, 2010

I am listening to a surgical report for an appendectomy. It sounds like the doctor dictates that the appendix is supplelative in nature but not perforated. Is the word suppleative or what could it be? I am not able to find such a word description. ...

Surgical Instrument?
Nov 26, 2010

orthopedic surgeon dictating "we did a subacromial bursectomy with a 4.3 mm Couda/Cooda?" ...

Surgical Report Help
Dec 02, 2010

I am typing a surgical report. The doctor is saying something like " (Blank) local with digital block". Does he mean "10 minute local with digital block"? I can't for the life of me hear what he is saying nor can I find it online.   Any help would be great.   thanks ...

Surgical Drain
Apr 20, 2011

OR report for lumbar laminectomy.  A S/L DP Mac Drain was placed overlying the laminectomy site at L5-S1 and a superficial Hemovac was placed in the subcutaneous tissues as well. Thanks in advance... ...

Surgical Probes
Oct 04, 2011

Has anyone heard of a "Hibbs" probe for gynecological surgery? ...

NEM Surgical Block?
Apr 27, 2012

The patient had a cyst excised with with careful excision of the capsule of the cyst, s/l NEM block, and sent for pathological evaluation.  ...

Need Help With Surgical Material
May 01, 2012

Need help finding a surgical material that s/l fiblar? ...

Surgical Scissors
May 10, 2012

Subgaleal plane of the forehead was dissected using s/l Omni scissors?      ...