A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If not transcription/editing then what other careers? - Ave

Posted: Jun 24, 2012

Hi all Cool

It seems alot of people on here are discouraging people from getting into the field. But, I've been wondering, what then would be some good alternative fields to get into?

I can type 90wpm and am good at organizing things. I haven't worked in like 2 years (due to agorophobia)  and I need to get my life back on track. I need to go to school for something, but I'm just not sure what to get into if not medical editing.

Hi, Ave - - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I just posted on the Main Board with a question about working as a medical scribe. You might keep an eye on that post and see if there are any replies. If you haven't already been an MT or had MT training, you might not have enough of the medical terminology background to ease into that type of work, though.

With those strengths you mention, medical billing or some other medical office work might be good...like a patient registrar or receptionist. Reception for a busy medical office can be pretty hectic if you have stress issues, from what I've seen around my city, but not always. Family practice offices are probably more hectic than some specialties.

Good luck!

Ave - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you mean that you will not leave your home and therefore need a job that is exclusively at-home, there is little else and you will only get an initial job if you have attended a school that MTSOs will accept in lieu of experience. Some MTs still do quite well, but you should not assume that you will land in that group, especially if you decide on a school other than Andrews or M-TEC.

Medical coding offers better opportunities and pay is considerably better as well as more stable, but it is very difficult to get a job which allows working from home if you do not have experience. More and more employers will let you work remotely, but only after a period in the office. You may also need to work in the office periodically or go in to attend training or meetings. You will also need to be certified by the AAPC and AHIMA, which will require taking hours-long exams outside your home. They may make accommodations for you to some extent. Having credentials from both organizations will improve your chances considerably.

no that's .... - Ave

[ In Reply To ..]
...not that I meant. I am fine with going out for jobs. I was referring to which possible careers I could look into that would utilize my typing and organization skills. Thanks for the info nonetheless

Then consider coding. - no msg

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
or scoping nm - deenibeeni
[ In Reply To ..]
x

If not transcription/editing then what other careers? - Suz

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Ave, I am new to MT, so I am not able to suggest other options. I relate well to your reason for wanting to work from home. Perhaps we can help one another. I am about to take a course in non-medical transcripton to add to my MT education. I am not sure it is a good direction-but hopeful.

Let me know if you would like to stay in touch.

Thanks,

More info please - question

[ In Reply To ..]
What are you going to study in a "course in non-medical transcription" if you don't mind my asking? I can't imagine what you would even study or how you would study it. More information please.

Well... - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
If you've been clinically diagnosed as agoraphobic, you may be able to (if not already) get disability benefits. Working in MT with a supplemental disability income, you might just make a decent living.

Consider hospital medical records departments, clinic offices as file clerks, alphanumeric data entry at labs and banks.

You might take some 10-key courses to get better at numeric data entry. You won't need any special schooling, just practice, practice, practice. Employers will test you to see how proficient you are.

Medical records clerks are usually trained on-the-job.

Medical office file clerks are usually trained on-the-job.

Receptionist/front office positions often require experience working with the public, but they're still worth applying to.

If you're just wanting to get out of the house, I'd consider a job at a big office supply or electronics store, like Staples or Best Buy. They'll train on-the-job and you can work your way up to floor sales, which pays a heck of a lot more than MT these days.

I don't know how pronounced your agoraphobia is, but if you're getting better and your doc is suggesting an out-of-the-house job, you could also consider cashiering at a grocery store or floor clerk at a grocery store or department store.

I know these don't sound like career positions, but they would be good first-step jobs to get you back into the workforce, and some of them pay more than what MTs with 20 years of experience are making.

Similar Messages:

Changing Careers Maybe--any Info On "Scoping Careers" Sm
Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or this program/career?  Thinking of changing careers.  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Transcription Editing
Apr 19, 2012

I have been a  remote IC for over 10 yrs and am looking for information about doing editing.  I would like to hear from someone who has been doing editing in regard to how much work there is out there and how much money is to be made and does it compare to straight typing. ...

VR Editing Or Traditional Transcription???
Mar 08, 2011

I've been offered a job that is primarily VR editing and also a job with traditional transcription.  Where am I going to make more money.  I usually produced approximately 2000 lines a day with traditional transcription but have never done VR editing.  HELP!!! ...

Transcription/editing For The Kardashians
Dec 14, 2011

Perhaps we could 'correct' them each time one of the Kardashidiots says "he and I" when she should say, "him and me," etc., which, if we charged them, let's say, $10,000 per mistake per episode, we could easily make upwards of a million per week, ourselves...what say you?  ...

What's More Lucrative - VR Editing Or Transcription?
Mar 22, 2012

I have transcribed for 22 years.  This week I started to learn VR editing.  I am making less than minimum wage.  Will my pace pick up to match my transcription pay equivalent to $3,000 a month or should I stick with transcription?  ...

Coding V. Transcription/Editing
Aug 22, 2013

Hey Everyone! I'm going to take a chance and attempt to get some objective answers to my questions. I'm interested in pursuing training to become an MT/Editor, mainly because I'm very interested in working part time from home. I'm an extremely diligent worker with a lot of attention to detail and am very self-motived, which makes me feel like I may have some of what's needed to do the job. I currently work as a law assitant, which is a great job in an extremely crappy w ...

Flat Rate Cpl For Editing And Transcription?
May 17, 2012

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to find an employer that will pay a flat line rate for both editing of SR and transcription. Does anyone know of anyone that is doing that? This business of being paid 2 different line rates makes it impossible to forecast earnings and is causing a huge headache for me. I am thinking a flat in the 7 cpl to 8 cpl would be something I would consider. I cannot believe I am saying that - 10 years ago I was working in a great hospital job making 12 cpl. My, my, how ...

Apparently Sten-Tel Is Offering 2 Cpl For Editing And 5 Cpl For Transcription
Mar 22, 2013

. ...

What Focus Infomatics Pays For Transcription Versus Editing?
Nov 02, 2009

Does anyone know what Focus Infomatics pays for transcription versus editing? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Switching Careers From Mt
May 18, 2010

Any of you thought of switching to dental laboratory technician, you can work independently a lot of times and they make pretty decent money.  Or do any of you know a dental lab tech and if they like their job, just looking around for something else to do besides MT ...

IMPORTANT! NEW CAREERS FOR MTs.
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like ...

MT's Enjoying Their Careers?
Oct 30, 2011

If you are a MT that actually enjoys your career choice please leave a post or send me an email. I would like to know how you make it work and stay happy with your career choice. All i see on this forum is people complaining about their career choice, low rates and no available work. So how do you handle this? How many jobs do you have, how do you schedule more than 1 job, materials & resources you use to assist you and any other info you can give me. Just like every other career there are ppl u ...

For Those Who Want To Change Careers,
Nov 30, 2011

google "TAA petition" and read the website to start one against MQ for displaced workers since they are sending all the work to India, especially those displaced due to buyouts.  This is an excellent way to get school paid for to change careers and to make MQ pay for their indiscretions.  Finally, a way to gain from all of this. I think you can contact your department of labor in your state if you have any questions also. ...

For Those Who Have Switched Careers
Feb 15, 2012

I am considering going to school to get a certificate/AA type of training, possibly in MA, pharm tech, or massage therapy, that sort of thing.  If you have experience with this, did you run into the "newbie" catch-22 thing where you have to have experience to get a job or can you usually find something right out of school? ...

Other At Home Careers??
Jan 13, 2015

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other honest work at home companies other than transcription? I recall a while back someone mentioning their son working for a company at home basically taking incoming calls for I think Direct TV, but didn't directly work for Direct TV, he worked through a different company. I've been doing MT work for 15 years and like many I'm tired, I'm bored. I don't want to search for days just to find a ton of scams or jobs that pa ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

YahooNews: Future Careers.........
Apr 06, 2010

Career Tools > Career Articles > Future Careers: What's Hot, What's Not Future Careers: What's Hot, What's Not   by Gina Pogol, FindtheRightSchool.com   Preparing for a career is a serious business, and the wrong choice can be costly. You don't want to graduate after several years' work only to find that your industry has relocated to China. Technology has affected labor markets in two ways: First, companies jumped on labor-saving devices ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

TRANSCRIPTIONISTS CAREERS ENDING?
May 02, 2011

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT TRANSCRIPTIONISTS WILL NO LONGER BE NEEDED IN THE YEAR 2013 AS PHYSICIANS WILL BE GIVEN INCENTIVES TO CARRY LAPTOPS AND ENTER ALL INFO IN? ...

Careers MTs Switch To--Ideas?
Sep 06, 2013

What type of careers are any one of you who are leaving MT or who are former MTs are retraining for? I'm very undecided. I'm not too crazy about being in school a long time or least longer than 1-1/2 to 2 years. I thought about coding but heard that that field is changing too like MT. I would like to stay in the medical field but I'm not sure about the degree of direct patient contact I want. I thought about radiology technician but not really sure. Any ideas to at least all ...

Former MT Wanting To Change Careers But Lost
Jan 02, 2013

Hello, Worked as an MT from 1994 until 2010. Starting have problems with my hands in 2003. Becoming an editor saved my life in 2005 and was able to work on broken hands a couple more years. The editing became even more painful with changing every other word, pay went down, and I found myself with a repetitive stress injury (tendinitis). Lost my workers comp case, although doctor said injury was caused by being an MT for 16 years, however, judge wasn't hearing it as workers comp had ...

Becoming An MT #5 On The List Of Hottest Medical Careers. What A Joke!
Jan 17, 2012

Copied and pasted from YAHOO News just now.  01/17 at 10:55 p.m.  just popped up.    Career #5: Medical Transcriptionist When physicians and medical professionals need to communicate important information, they turn to medical transcriptionists who translate doctor's notes into medical reports and other files. Why it's hot: A large percentage of medical transcriptionists work in hospitals, but there will be an increased need for their work in editing transcr ...

"Listening Leads To Inspiring Careers."
Jun 02, 2011

That's what I found MQ advertising while I went searching for another job.  Just what does it mean though?  They certainly aren't listening to us.  Are we supposed to be listening to their innuendos of salary cuts, unattainable demands, losing our jobs to India to understand and get inspired to find another career?  Who comes up with this double-talk anyway?  Probably the same person that writes our corporate e-mails. ...

How Many "careers" Do You Know Where...
Jul 08, 2013

...the company's server goes down and you're left hanging ready, willing and able to work for hours with no communication for such hours and NO compensation? Even fast food restaurants would have paid me even if their fry machine went down. Finally, at the end of the day, just a nonchalant email saying the server is back up and please send your work. Aagggghhh! I have so had it with MT. No timeclock involved, so I guess we MTs have to "eat" yet another loss. Sorry, small rant is over. ...

Anyone Editing VR At 800 Lph?
Feb 18, 2010

If you get 800 lph on VR, what platform to you use, what types of reports do you type?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About VR Editing
Feb 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me about VR editing, the pay seems quite low about 3 cpl.  How many lines can you do in an hour? I am a very fast typist, but unsure about VR and have a job interview for this.  Thanks for your help ...

Editing Pay
Jun 05, 2010

I understand that everything is going to the way of the editor and not typing, but when the editor keeps missing whole sentences or makes up words that sound nothing like the doctor is saying, how is one supposed to make any money?  I only get paid .04 per line to edit and I am spening more time trying to fix editing mistakes than I would if I just erase the text and type it out.  Very frustrating.  Thank God my husband has a good paying job, otherwise I would have to find another ...

Is All Editing With VR Really This Bad?
Oct 28, 2010

I work for a company that uses M*Modal for VR and all the reports have SO much editing.  There are complete words missing, words added that clearly aren't being dictated, at least 2 words on each line that have to be edited.  I'm doing so much more work for less pay than I was straight typing everything.  This is the only editing I've done so I don't know if this is normal for editing or if M*Modal just sucks!  My line counts suck, my pay sucks.  Any ...

RE TTS: I Have Seen Where They Pay 3 Cpl For Editing .... SM
Nov 08, 2010

and I know that they use Escription.  Does anybody know if they EVER will start someone out higher than 3 cpl?  I have 32 years of MT experience and about 3 years of editing experience.  Thanks for any comments. ...