A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are scribes taking MT jobs away? - Great discussion here

Posted: Dec 04, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/11/trsi-to-train-medical-scribes.html?showComment=1291473665715#c222684303620260150

Interesting you posted this. I've been noticing - local hospitals advertising for

[ In Reply To ..]
scribes in the ER and various other departments of the hospital in the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for posting - countrywestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been reading that same blog for several months now. This one I find very interesting, as well as all the comments, which are must reads. Thanks for posting. As MTs we all need to be aware of all that is going on that will have an impact on our livelihoods.

What do they do, and what does it pay? - Wanted: $$$. The more the merrier.

[ In Reply To ..]

I interviewed for a scribe position a few months ago - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
To answer your questions (at least for this particular position which was for a very large private practice):
What do they do? Basically this facility got rid of their entire transcription department and switched to EMR; however, the time it was taking for the doctors to enter the information into the computer themselves was actually costing them money. Therefore, the scribe would be working with 1 doctor, entering the room while the patient was being seen, and selecting from a drop-down menu to enter the information into the computer as the doctor dictated it. There was no typing involved and, from what I gathered, really no need to know medical terminology... just the ability to read basically.

What does it pay? To give you an idea, I live in the suburbs of NYC. A general rule around these parts is that the closer you are to the city, the more money you make (and also the bigger traffic headache). Now, back in 2005 and the last time I worked in office, I was making $20/hr at a facility approximately 75 minutes outside NYC and close to my home. For the scribe position, the starting pay was $17/hr at a facility about 30 minutes outside NYC as well as having to commute to satellite offices as needed (basically crap considering that it would be a %15 pay cut by 2005 standards plus at least 3 hours travel time each day on good traffic days). I was optimistic when I applied for the job but had to turn it down because of the low pay. And please forgive any typos in this post... it's late, and my eyes are crossing from being tired. Hope this info helps a little. Good luck to you!
Thanks for the info! I had never heard of that - before. Some aspects dont sound - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
so bad, but I agree... the pay is kind of low for the kind of MT availability they want. I do know that I sure wouldn't want to be in the same room with a patient being seen for a bad case of the flu, or TB!
I never even thought about the germ thing! - no1joe
[ In Reply To ..]
The position was for an ortho practice, so the potentially contagious aspect of it never crossed my mind... eeew.

Also, just think about it: If this is the way things are heading as this job field is slowly but steadily changing, how comfortable would you really feel, if you were the patient, having a member of the secretial staff in the room with you during an examination? Again, when I applied it was for an ortho gig, so I never really thought about it, but I would NEVER EVER want a nonmedical staff member, sometimes no one besides my doctor, in the room during an examination or even the interview process. Sorry, but I do take some comfort in being just a faceless name attached to a voice file or printed on a medical bill/insurance form when I go to the GYN for example. For this particular office, the "beauty" of this new technology was supposedly to have the medical report prepared as the patient is being seen, necessitating the need for a scribe to be in the examination room. IDK, but maybe it's just a matter of time before people seriously start complaining about this. I hope so... it really seems to be another way of phasing us out or at least cutting our pay.
That's just about the ONLY benefit to working at home: - Not catching every cold and flu in town.
[ In Reply To ..]
I even once used to have a boss that would bring their sick kid to work with them, if daycare sent them home because of being sick. THANKS, boss! Usually the MTs would start dropping like flies, one by one, after the office visit by the little sickie.

Similar Messages:

Epic Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2011

I posted this in the VR/Speech Rec forum but reposted it here since that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic lately.   The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plummeted to ...

These Are The People Who Are Taking Our Jobs
Oct 10, 2014

The company I work for was recently bought out by another company. Much of our work has already been sent offshore. And now we have Indian email addresses. This is from an email I received: WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMALIES A HAAPY DUSSEHRA. How is it that these companies think those folks can produce decent medical reports? It just boggles the mind. ...

Jobs Taking Forever To Load?
Feb 11, 2013

x ...

How Long Do You Wait For Jobs Before Taking A Break?
Jul 15, 2011

I am on a troublesome account that is fairly new to the company and is a mix of VR and straight transcripiton.  When it first started, there was plenty of work.  All that work has now dried up.  I am lucky if I get a total of 400 lines per day.  Most of my day (approximately 12 hours a day) I sit and keep clicking for the next job to download from EditScript and most of the time anymore nothing comes.  My question for anyone who would care to answer is how long would you ...

No Worries About Speech Recognition Taking Our Jobs
Jul 25, 2014

Just a note to all you frustrated MTs who think speech recognition is going to take away all our jobs.  I just had a job today that interpreted general appearance as genital warts!!  When listening, the doctor did obviously say general appearance.  So fear not, I think there will always be a place for MTs in the future!! ...

Hearing About New Jobs As "medical Scribes."
Aug 13, 2011

I haven't seen any positions in my city and my junior college has nothing on it so far.  Anybody more informed on this??? ...

The New MT -- Medical Scribes?
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Information About Scribes?
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody give me information about scribes?  I just applied for a job that is for a medical transcriptionist/medical assistant which requires the transcriptionist to scribe for the doctor.  I'm concluding that you are in with the doctor and patient and basically just typing what he is saying during the appt rather than doc trying to treat the patient and document information at the same time.  Do these types of positions usually get paid higher than a transcriptionist?  Thanks for an ...

Medical Scribes...
Sep 13, 2012

Has anyone ever worked as a "Medical Scribe?" Will you tell me about it, please? ...

Physician Scribes
Jun 21, 2013

Physician scribe jobs have just come to my attention.  Been browsing the Internet and heard about it locally, too.  Can't find a really detailed description of what these scribes actually do in a day's work.  Anyone know?  Thanks! ...

Remote Scribes
Jun 24, 2013

We all know the frustration in dictation where they don't use a pause button, how our salaries dwindle to nothing as a result.  I noted an ad on the Job Seeker's Board to train to become a "remote scribe" for .07 to .08 CPL.  Doesn't it seem this would also dwindle to nothing as it seems there would be far more waiting for data to enter and would take forever to complete a line if you are working in real time.  Anyone have any info on how this would work? ...

MTs Will Make The Best Scribes
Sep 05, 2013

There is a budding new profession, for which MTs will be perfect.  It's explained in an article at http://smartype.com/id12.html.  Both the demand and the pay for transcription are dropping precipitously.  It's a good time to consider a career transition.  The tough part will be finding physicians who recognize that their lives will be immensely better if they have YOU doing all their EHR documentation...and that it's easily worth $40K per year. ...

Has Anybody Heard Of Scribes?
Oct 23, 2013

Has anybody heard of scribes?  Is this something that someone who has worked in medical transcription could possibly go into?  ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

Med-scribes In Naples, FL
May 07, 2014

Any information is appreciated...in particular, having to work too many accounts and OOW situations. THANK YOU. ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Been Hearing A Lot About Medical Scribes
May 30, 2012

I have been hearing a lot about medical scribes.  I am wondering if the transcription companies are going to start losing accounts because the doctors are going to switch to this new way of doing the medical records.  Has this happened to anyone yet? ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

NY Times Article About Scribes
Jan 14, 2014

Our world is ever changing, do you fight it or find a way to advance with it.   Here is a NYtimes article about scribes..  It covers the third person in the room syndrome.     http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/health/a-busy-doctors-right-hand-ever-ready-to-type.html?emc=eta1&_r=0 ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Will Meaningful Use Requirements Knock Out Scribes?
May 03, 2012

Interesting article about stage 2 meaningful use, particularly committees trying to decide if it prohibits anyone but a physician entering data into the EMR.  The article specifically references scribes, but I wonder what the implications are for MT. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/do-doctors-have-be-typists-get-mu-incentives ...

Oranges And Apples --- EHR And Point-n-click And Scribes
Nov 10, 2011

I think these ideas are getting used interchangeably when they are very different applications.  EHR is still transcribed documents, just not paper charts.  Facilities have already been on this for a good while now and the transcriptionist will basically see no difference as we don't usually handle a chart anyways in-house or virtually.  However, it is the point-n-click programs that are phasing out the transcribed document.  ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

Why Are We Taking This?
Jun 18, 2012

What the heck is going on here? We're being bought out and paid less than the people cleaning the toilets at the "corportate" offices of the big-three companies. We're scraping by to make one-third of what we used to make. Why? Do you actually believe these companies are charging the hospitals less? We're the only ones getting paid less, and less, and less. The hospitals are getting crappy reports, something they're told can't be helped; there's no other alternat ...

Could They Be Taking Even More Pay
Mar 07, 2014

I checked my pay stubs and, granted, I still was getting production bonus 5-6 months ago, but my pay has decreased so much, like $400-500. Sometimes I wonder what all those "delays" with "uploading the lines" are. Honestly, this company has made me literally into a minimum wage worker. Thanks a lot, Nuance, you will soon get your wish and I will have to subsidize my income with food stamps at this rate. I guess that is your objective, more profits for you, spread the poverty so our taxes are ma ...

Wow. I Was Taking A Peek Over Here
Mar 10, 2010

to see what Medquist was looking like.  Looks just about like Spheris to me, possibly a little worse.  Can anyone say what they are paying per line ASR and regular transcription for a mid-level account?  Clinic account?  Not sure it is worth the bother to stick around for this change. ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...