A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A friend of mine wants to try this, can she make $30.00 an hour doing transcription - L

Posted: Nov 02, 2009

A lady I have talked with wants to train in this kind of work and is planning on going to Andrews. Would she be making at least $30.00 an hour when she gets a job? Thanks.

Sadly, No. - Old part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
There was a time when I made better than $30 an hour, but not any more.

Only if she can persuade somebody to pay her 25 cents a line... - GeezerChick

[ In Reply To ..]
... the chances of which are infinitesimally small....

hahahahahahahaha - --

[ In Reply To ..]
Tell your friend she cannot make 30.00 an hour straight out of school. Even an experienced MT would have a very difficult time making that kind of money. Sorry to burst her bubble.

why does friend think she can make $30/hour? - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Nope - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
You'd have to maintain 300 lph AND be paid 10 cents a line. Not even experienced MTs are getting 10 cents a line these days and the only MTs I know of who can do 300 lph have expanders that they have built up over the years and are really fast typists.

So, if Andrews is telling your friend she WILL make $30 an hour they are flat out lying to her. If they say she COULD make it, then yes, theoretically it's possible..... see above. So unlikely as to be impossible, though.

Somebody LIED to her........n/m - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
x

not anymore - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and not right out of school (when you start you spend lots of time looking things up). Who told her that?

She told me she types 45 wpm and her boyfriend's - L

[ In Reply To ..]
MIL or mother- forgot which one it was. She wanted to know if she could do VR at 45 wpm.

lines per hour not wpm - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
is how we think in MT. Most MTs are fairly fast typists but VR is not so much typing as correcting - you type in some words/phrases that don't appear in the draft, and delete the stuff that shows up in the draft that should not be there. You correct the punctuation and reformat. You still have to know just as much so you can tell what is wrong in the draft and put the right thing in. It pays less per line than regular transcription and usually not able to do it fast enough to make the same income. Depends on the program, the dictators, and the day. I have days when I make 8 dollars an hour and others when I make close to 20, but never 30.

But as she has not done this she only knows her wpm - L

[ In Reply To ..]
She was told another person making $30.00 and she told me her wpm. Thanks
holy cow... only 45 wpm? I did that fresh out of school and only made 8.00 an hour. - been around the block
[ In Reply To ..]
I do make 10 cpl on transcription and 6 on VR...

I usually average 13 to 16 an hour, only because my VR program sucks and I rarely get transcription anymore. Also, I type about 95 wpm.

Three years ago, before all the pay cuts and VR, I made about 30 an hour. Not anymore.
holy cow - MT17
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! Where do you work now that you make such a great rate.......well, GREAT compared to what is out there now......??
that is not a great rate - been around the block
[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a large national and have been there for 12 years.

I have not had a raise in 10 years and the VR is awful... I have to correct every single line and struggle to make that 13 to 16 an hour! That is not a great rate.
Well...... - MT17
[ In Reply To ..]
That is more than I was making at a big company, where I worked for almost 20 years, AND just got laid-off......so you aren't doing too bad in my book. You/we ALL should be doing much better, but............. Oh, I was laid-off because my work went to the Philippines.....oh joy!
Sorry your job got deported... mine will soon also. - been around the block
[ In Reply To ..]
That is what all the biggies are doing.
Eating up all the little companies and giving away american jobs.

Very sorry and I wish you luck finding a better company!
deported... - MT17
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the well wishes. I hope your job continues to be there for you. It is such a SHAME! But thank goodness my hubby has a good job and I can actually take some time for myself.....decide if this is still what I want to do after all is said and done, but wishing good-luck to you too.
45 wpm is about half the speed you need to - be an MT. You need 80-90 wpm.
[ In Reply To ..]
With VR, you aren't doing very much typing - just sitting and trying to stay awake while you listen to dictation and try to follow along reading what some machine transcribed. If you're lucky, they might pay you about 3 cpl. The MT business is putting a whole new wave of American workers on Food Stamps.
I do VR but in between there is that straight work - VR lover
[ In Reply To ..]
I could never do VR at 45 wpm, would never make anything that way. I have to VR as fast as is possible and then when I have the occasional straight the same exact thing.

staging - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
I forgot, AIN is it stage 3 or stage III? thanks

See below about how she heard and her wpm - L

[ In Reply To ..]
She wants to know with her speed of 45 wpm can she do VR then but she really is wanting to do MT work.

you mean See Above. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

This board does not always work the way you think it does - L

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right but I posted under a top posting and it came to the bottom.

45 wpm - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
she can do VR if she learns to be an MT but won't be $30 an hour.
I guess 45 wpm is okay as there is not as much actual typing in VR.
I guess my wpm is about 80 but I have not tested my wpm in many years and I don't think about it. Even with regular, non-VR transcription a lot of the lines per minute comes from using word expanders and templates (stuff you save so you don't have to type out every single word/paragraph).
I said I make from 8-18 dollars an hour depending on the day. That is 4.5 cpl.
Think about lines per hour:
Straight - 150-200 (with word expanders)
VR - 300-550 (my experience, others may do more or less).

More important than her typing speed is can she learn the terminology and understand the dicators - much harder than people think. You have to make sense of the dictation from doctors who don't speak English well, mumble, yawn, dictate in noisy areas, etc. etc.

$30 hour - Greenjeans

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh come on, you're pulling our legs, right?

This is absolutely no lie, she does not post here but I told her I would ask - L

[ In Reply To ..]
The lady was told about the $30.00 an hour and of course that looks good, to me and everyone else on here. I am telling the truth. I told her I would post and she could come here and read what others had to say about it, not just from me. HEr ex-boyfriend's MIL or mother does this and from what this lady is seeing the lady has a housekeeper, got high priced car, taking nice vacations and the woman sees that and thinks, hey why not me? This is absolutely on the up and up.

Why do people think anybody can do this job? - unbelievable

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah... We just sit around in our jammies, doing our laundry, babysitting the kids, preparing dinner, and here and there, type a few lines and make 30.00 an hour. It is the easiest thing out there. It is kinda like winning the lottery, no skill, just happens, dumb luck.
Tell your friend GOOD LUCK!

Consensus is - no way Jose - believe what you want

[ In Reply To ..]
She would need time and practice to build up her speed and expanders whether she was typing or doing VR.

And then she would have to get a job that pays decent, which are getting rarer every day.

And then she would have to get a decent account with dictators she could understand.

Oh, and there would have to be consistent WORK on that account, or none of the above would matter.

If the planets align perfectly in the sky, she might make $30 an hour for a week, a month or a year, but the planets will move on and her earnings will drop due to outsourcing, clients coming and going, etc.

Personally, my job went from heaven to hell in the blink of an eye. I made 50k last year with a combination of good client, plenty of OT, and good expanders.

This year I'll be lucky to make 20k...I didn't change ANYTHING (same employer, same hours, etc.) but I have lost 2/3 of my income with no warning - surprise! - the client is gone, there is no work any more, "hang in there" (if you can afford it) until we find more clients. I might never get that lucky again. Its a crap shoot. Your friend might have better luck taking her college money to Vegas.

Even in MT's best days, which were about 15+ - years ago, no one made $30/hour.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not that what we do isn't worth it, but until MT's can go back to working directly for the doctors, and not for the PIGS in management and MTSO, then it'll continue to be nothing but a third-world sweatshop job.

$30/hr - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure they made $30/hr. I used to do payroll at the Q 15 years ago and we certainly did have people making $30/hr. There still are folks making in the high $20s, me being one of them. It can be done, not for a newbie or someone who has to watch her kids while she's working, but it can be done.

I made $18 to $32 an hour - no more but I did

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't make that money now unless you get a great account, no matter how fast you type. All these bad dictators and ER type reports where you are jumping around and filling in lines... no good.

I made this money last year but we lost the account to overseas and now I have to suffer low pay.

that's funny - Leaving Mting

[ In Reply To ..]
It may be possible, but highly unlikely.

there are independent consultants that claim they make that much, but they must be very technically savvy and have awesome marketing techniques on top of being good at MTing. Not many fit this mold.

If your friend is just looking for making good $, I would recommend she not get involved in MTing.

Will she make $30/hr? (sm) - Long-time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
BWWAAAA HAAAAA HAAAA. Oh stop, you're killing me with your leading questions.

I've been an MT for 43 years, I can type 120 words/minute, and I've never made that in my life.

The answer is: No.

YES, you can make that money on CLINIC accounts. - MTANR

[ In Reply To ..]
I do and have made $30/hr on CLINIC accounts at a basic line rate. On clinic accounts you can do A LOT of copying/pasting, so it is not very difficult to achieve that. Acute care I make less. It IS possible though.

And the bad thing about clinic accounts is - VR here

[ In Reply To ..]
more and more are going to EMR and people are being dropped like flies from those accounts as more techs and the physicians themselves entering the information, thus doing away with the transcriptionists.

sigh .... read the post again, Friend Wants To Try This. - no, she will not make 30.

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Not for long - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Enjoy it while it lasts. Really, don't get too comfortable counting on this for long.

30 an hour - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I average 28-35 an hour but have been at it for many,many years.

Lucky you - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

A FRIEND ... - MS MT

[ In Reply To ..]
NO WAY

That's a funny! - old mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Not today Honey. She was definitely sold a bill of goods by someone!!

No.....the most I make is $18 an hour and that - sm - XXX

[ In Reply To ..]
is not consistent. I only type about 60 wpm, and about 165 lph on average. I average $12 an hour which I deem acceptable for being at home, no gas to use, no clothes to buy, I don't need health insurance as I have it through my DH and I have my freedom to attend school functions, get kids off to school in a.m. and meet at p.m. There are trade-offs. I am certainly not getting rich doing this, did $18K last year and that was with working 50-65 hours a week....can your friend hack that? Also at first she would not even make that, probably $30-$40 a day if she was lucky.

money to be made - 10-year mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree. I think there are certain cases where you can still make great money. I make average of $25 per hour, 200 lph rate. I have done hospital and clinic work for over 10+ years. I think that considering I work at home, no driving, no lunches out, flexibility in scheduling that even $12 would be a great wage. Sometimes I think people forget that. I dislike all the negativity all the time. Yes this job can be stressful, yet it is scary with all the changes, but that is LIFE. You just have to roll with the punches, and honestly can you make a lifetime career out of anything anymore? The world is constantly growing and changing now with technology. Each has to find their way in something they choose.

Yes you can make good money but not at first - sm - XXX

[ In Reply To ..]
and all the circumstances need to fall into place too. If you can get your own accounts that tend to be on the easy side with a good cpl rate, then yes you can probably do quite well. I have one account on my own (0.13 cpl) which has been slowly dwindling, plus the Dr. is 70, so the writing is on the wall there, and I also work as an IC for someone else. Doubtful this lady's friend could make $30/hr consistently every day = $240 for an 8 hour day ($61K a year), she'd have to do 375 lph at 0.08 cpl, unlikely for a newbie. I can do 225 cpl an hour depending on which doctor I am doing (straight typing), and 600 lph when I am editing, but again I am not consistent which is my own fault. I used to have a gravy account but my MTSO took it back for herself as she needed the money, I loved it, it was an easy account and I got 14 lines a page extra for the letterhead/address, etc. I was raking it in with that one. I am sure there are some MTs that do make very good money doing this, and there are others who work 12 hour days for $100 or less, struggling with horrible ESLs. I am lucky as I only have 1 ESL and she is not that bad. I am content with my $12/hour average and know that is good considering I am at home with no expenses other than my equipment, etc., no gripes there. I'd probably be making about the same if I ventured out and got a job outside the home, with the added expense of afterschool care for my kids, gas, wear-and-tear on my car, clothes, etc. I do have an iron in the fire for a state/county job but due to budget issues it will not be "open" until June 2010. I am on their short list of candidates luckily and if I can land it I will be taking it as it is $35-$40K a year and will not interfere with my kids activities as well. Will I keep doing MT if I get the job?, probably some but I would only be doing probably the 2 smaller of my current 4 doctors probably, just to keep my hand in it and as a backup just in case to cover my butt.

I make $30 an hour - and I do that with speech too

[ In Reply To ..]
BUT I have been at this for 15 years!!!!

Right out of training? I made about $4 and my line rate was higher back then. You heard me, I was paid more a line 15 years ago, but I STILL make $30 an hour NOW. A tough week is when, oh dear me, I had to actually stop and look up a word once. I almost never have to stop to look up anything, which is another reason I am fast (photographic memory for medical terms).

No, I don't have my own accounts and I never have. I am an employee with one of the smaller nationals and I have to flip flop between 2 platforms as well as between speech and typing. I probably type about 60 wpm, but I know my expander so well that my lines per hour is out of sight.

If she think she will make that out of school, she has either been misled or she is an idiot.

Similar Messages:

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

A Letter From A Doctor Friend Of Mine To His Congressman
Apr 18, 2013

The following is from a Facebook post from a physician friend of mine.  This is a letter he sent to his congressman.  I got permission from him to post it here.  Long read, but I feel galvanized by this:    I have been dealing with 2 electronic health record (EHR) systems and it is clear that the technology is not ready for implementation. I feel they will increse cost, decrese access, and decrease quality of care in their current state. I encourage anyone reading thi ...

Friend Of Mine Fell For One Of Those "BIG BUCKS (MT-ing) FROM HOME" Ads
Mar 05, 2010

So she signed up for this teach yourself transcription course, captured and enraptured by all its 'carnival barking' about the money, the prestige, and the convenience of working at home and being your own (uh-huh) boss...offering the world on a platter and stopping just shy of suggesting she could meet/marry a doctor.   Flashcards in a box.  Albeit medical words...but...flashcards in a box.     ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

VR - How Much Can You Make Per Hour? Sm
Oct 13, 2010

Just out of curiosity - figure out what you make per hour doing VR.  I am looking for like $15/hr or whatever.  Then put that into the context of how much you make per hour doing straight transcription.  I don't want your name, your company or anything about you personally.  I am just curious to compare what people make doing VR paid per line translated into how much that is per hour. Thanks for any help. ...

Curious - About How Much Per Hour Do You Make
May 13, 2013

doing QA at Nuance? ...

I Can't Even Make $10 An Hour At TT With VR And Straight Typing.
Feb 06, 2010

nm ...

I Make $8.50 An Hour With Webmedx/Nuance
Dec 09, 2011

Since we were acquired by the big N, "We" are on the old platform, not Dragon.  I don't get any reports that have templates or normals. The account has thousands of doctors.  This is as much as I can possibly make under these parameters. So running our "salary calculator," it comes out to $8.50 an hour.  I was making twice this 2 years ago for same company before it was acquired. ...

I Hate Transcend. Their Management Is Nasty And I Cannot Make Even $8.00 An Hour.
May 05, 2011

If you complain about this editing stuff you get told just be glad you have a mess or you would not have a job.  I had to retype a 15 minute editing job because the editor decided it was doing an exam for an obstetrics patient and it should have been for a neurosurgery patient.  How many times have you found a uterus in the brain?  I would not advise anyone to apply for their jobs.  You will just get treated like dirt and they do not care if you make any money or not.  ...

Let Me Be Your Refer-a-friend
Mar 26, 2013

I am in serious need of a new transcription job, straight typing.  If your job offers a bonus for signing on a new employee, let me be your bonus.. if they don't and but still need help, please contact me.  I'm seriously on the verge of not being able to make my house payment in the near future.  Nine years transcription experience, basic 4, acute care, psychiatry.. you name it.. if I haven't done it, I can learn.  Current job switched to VR and ...

Friend Wants To Know...Where To Begin?
Jun 25, 2013

I have a friend who is a nurse who wants to get into medical transcripting. Since she has a lot of background, she doesn’t think it would take her long. I had a bad experience with the company that trained me, so I was wondering what you guys would recommend for her? Do you know of any companies that train then give live work or know of a low-cost school?I let her know that most companies require 3 years experience, so do you know of anyone who hires fresh MTs?Thanks in advance! ...

Got An E-mail From MQ Friend. She Gave Her
Aug 15, 2010

Another one bites the dust.  She said she didn't have anything lined up yet; just couldn't stand the stress any longer.  ...

Asking For A Friend. How Many Hours Are Needed To Keep
Feb 18, 2013

x ...

Needing Advise For My Friend
Oct 25, 2013

My friend has worked at a local hospital for the past 6 years and within the last year they have gone to voice recognition. Now because of this they are running out of work on a daily basis and she has to use her vacation time when this happens (she takes at least 3 days of vacation per week). She is starting to run low on vacation time and then has to take it without pay. Did I read on here that she can apply for unemployment because of lack of work? I went to her house last night and helped h ...

How To Make A Numbered Sublist In Fluency For Transcription 7.2.1.635
Oct 05, 2013

I have one dictator who likes making sublists.  I know how to make a list using Ctl + Shf + l to make bullets but don't remember how to make sublists (indented with bullets) or even sublists below sublists.  I've looked all over the tutorials but can't seem to find it.  Does anyone know how to do it? ...

Opinion Please: Friend Changing From Inhouse To MQ
Jan 08, 2012

Ok, I have a friend who has worked inhouse for a few years for a large hospital.  She makes $14 an hour with shift differential.  They have pretty much cut the incentive pay out.  She really doesn't get that I don't think anymore.  She is fustrated with her boss and is considering going to Medquist radiology transcription.  Another friend who works on the radiology side of MQ said she has not ran of work before and has 5 accounts to work on, etc.  She says ...

Friend Wants To Quit Inhouse Job To Work MedQuist
Jan 08, 2012

Someone who works at Medquist on the radiology side said that radiology isn't as bad as the acute care side.  She said she has not ran out of work yet, and she has been there several months.  I know what I see on these boards about the acute care side.  Does this pertain to the radiology side too or is it different?  ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

Which Verbatim Is It? Your's, Mine Or Their's?
Oct 30, 2010

Just worked on an ESL report (with unfortunately for me very, very, very little English).  This is a VERBATIM account.  Sent it to QA and it was "transformed" into English with little regard for that pesky word VERBATIM.  Does verbatim mean different things to different people? ...

W-2 - Got Mine In The Mail
Jan 22, 2013

Just got mine in the mail. ...

Anybody Else's TW Timesheet Look Like Mine?
Jan 29, 2013

It's longer than the constitution for Pete's sake! I end up with so many entries because I get a job, one that usually takes 2 minutes to type, send it off, then NJA, wait a minute, here comes another job, type it, takes 2 minutes, and on and on.  Craziness! ...

I Do Everyone Else's Records And Mine, Too
Feb 26, 2014

Just got a call from my dr's medical records wanting to know the name of the dr she wants my records sent to (she and I looked it up on the computer during my visit and I saw her write the dr's name down) and my dr's address, which I'm sure was on her request, her name and address.  One of the last times I saw her, they put someone else's vital signs on my records (height, weight, BP and BMI).  Sheesh. ...

Canaries In The Mine
Nov 07, 2014

This discussion actually began on October 3, 2014. To search for it, use the little blue search function and type in You missed something and the date 2014-10-04. I think it bears repeating again for all who might insist that people griping" here about Nuance are just conspiracy theorists. I prefer to think of them as canaries in the mine, warning folks away from Nuance. It is NOT just Nuance, as someone pointed out, but they are the most insidious it seems, about monitoring this board and disco ...

How Are You Paid For PTO? Just Found Out About Mine
Dec 11, 2009

I always thought that companies paid for PTO based on an average of your last 3-6 months production. I just found out that my company pays by the hour!  This means my PTO for a week will be half of what a I normally make?   Have you ever heard of this?  Is this the norm?  ...

I Contacted A Supervisor Other Than Mine And Got
Aug 31, 2010

region when I had had my fill of NJA on the last region I was assigned to.  Where I am now is certainly not perfect, has some NJA, some nasty dictation, but I do have something to type the majority of the time.  If you could come up with the name of one of these supervisors with the critical backlog, fire off a request to be moved.  Worked for me (about 10 months ago).  ...

Is Anybody Elses Email Down (yet Again) Besides Mine? NM
May 21, 2012

xxx ...

TSM Covering While Mine Is Out Is Awesome!
Jul 16, 2014

I'm so jealous of the team who gets to have this particular TSM.  Wow!  She's prompt in returning emails, investigates a problem thoroughly, and is overall very pleasant on the phone.  It's a breath of fresh air!  So if you're in the North and SM runs your show, I want to be on your team! ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Trans-Tech W2s. Have Not Gotten Mine Yet. Who Should I Call?
Feb 03, 2011

tx ...