Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

AB5 as written is wreaking havoc in a LOT of industries. sm - Still cranky, still on the beach

Posted: Dec 11th, 2019 - 11:39 pm In Reply to: Assembly Bill 5 - broke

And some of the biggest stink being raised is by freelance writers and journalists. The new law limits them to 35 submissions per year. If they go over that, they have to become employees. It does not account for the fact that many if not most freelance journalists write for multiple publications, print as well as virtual, and the chances of those publications taking their freelancers on as employees is vanishingly small.

Another industry impacted is music. Under the new law, anyone who gathers a few musician buddies together to go play a Saturday night set in a local club has to treat those buddies as employees, with all the administrative and paperwork hassles that entails. Bye-bye, bar bands.

And apparently the penalties and fines for "violations" are hefty enough that people are not going to be willing to risk running afoul of it.

I honestly don't know how it's going to affect MTs. There was a poster on here a few weeks ago whose main client was insisting that she get a business license, but she lives in an unincorporated area in a county that does not issue them. And yet the client continued to insist. Clearly the client was just trying to cover his own backside, and frankly I don't blame him.

It is also said that the language in the new law is fuzzy enough in places that certain points could be interpreted in multiple ways, again causing businesses not to want to take risks in the interpretation.

There are grassroots efforts underway to meet with legislators and advocate for the bill to be amended. I am in touch with a couple of groups on Facebook in which people are sharing their stories and mobilizing. If anyone wants to know how to find those groups, feel free to reply to me by email.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)