Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Yes - sm

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2019 - 8:14 pm In Reply to: Slow low - Lowest

I'm in my 50s, been an MT for 20 years, have other experience in different jobs/industries, but after interviewing for several decent well-paying jobs in the past 3 months, I haven't been offered a one of them. I'm too old to get a really good job anymore. Yes, I know I can get A job making $12 an hour.

My bills are behind, my credit is about to be ruined, and it's all because the lies these MTSOs tell. I have 3 jobs and all 3 of them are low on work every day, sometimes no work, all Nuance affiliates. Work NEVER picked up at the end of the summer as I was told. I've blown through my savings.

Twenty years ago I was on the fence - MT school or court reporting. I could've done either at the time. I chose MT because, at the time, it was a very good job, almost the same pay as CR in some cases. Schooling was going to be paid by a scholarship grant for MT. Court reporting school was $20K plus the cost of the machine.

I had no idea the path MT would take down the road. Every single year is worse and worse as far as pay and conditions. More and more greed from MTSOs and clients - all on our backs.

It's NOT for anyone who wants a career or needs to make a living. It's too undependable, no benefits, no security.

I'm scared all the time - scared how I'll pay rent next month, scared I'll be sued by my past due creditors, scared my low wages will be garnished, scared to take a holiday off with no pay because how will I pay bills next month. Vacation? lol. I haven't had a week-off vacation since 2003.

I'm not married. Trying to date with this kind of life is impossible for me. I can't have a relationship when my financial life is in shambles and my job is so stressful and unsecure. I have nothing saved for retirement. This is not an attractive picture for a woman my age.

I was a single mother most of my son's life (he's in his late 20s now). I wasn't a single mother by choice - my ex had a drug problem, and I left him to keep our child away from that danger. As a result, there was no child support. I became an MT to stay home with my son and save childcare money.

It was a good choice at the time.

My life has been ruined by my choice to become an MT with no benefits, 401K, retirement, paid holidays, unstable and unsteady work.

Please, to those young, single, using MT as a single source of income MTs out there, you'll find with no paid holidays, no paid vacation, no 401K, 20 or 30 years from now (this industry will never last that long though), you'll have nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)