Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

Blanks and - blanks

Posted: May 9th, 2019 - 12:57 am In Reply to: Oh great. New QAM wants to reduce blanks. - Ready to exit

I don't like having to send back reports with a lot of blanks, but when I do it's really not on purpose, not being lazy, etc. There's only a very limited amount of time to research blanks...and after I've exhausted all available resources, I have to make the decision whether or not to send it along to QA. Most of the time, the blanks are because of poor quality dictation, whether it's the dictator or whether it's the audio. Beyond that, I'm doing everything within the constraints of my job to complete the reports.

I just keep thinking, maybe someone should have a friendly little chat with all the facilities to just pass along a few helpful tips to their dictators on dictation etiquette. It's all really just common sense reminders like, don't eat, drink, chew gum, cough, constantly clear your throat, yawn, cover the mouthpiece with your hand or other body parts, engage with others nearby, laugh uncontrollably and walk away from the phone (sometimes without hanging it up), flip through pages and pages while dictating, or dictate in noisy environments like the nurses' stations, especially NICU or Peds, in the break room or outdoors, etc. Do slow down when speaking - enunciate, and spell names and locations when not so obvious. Also, very, very important even before beginning to dictate is to make sure the dictation line has a clear strong signal with good volume, no distortion and/or static.

I had a doctor the other day who really had a poor connection and very kindly apologized and said that she was going to hang up instead and get a clearer connection. Wow! If only there were more like her... It all really does begin on the dictator's side of things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)