Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

The resilience of MTs is amazing - sm

Posted: Aug 10th, 2018 - 2:39 pm In Reply to: VDI - Subcontractors and ICs. The contracting - MTSOs best push back or be

There's no other way to say it.

I thought for sure people would leave the industry in droves when:
* Offshore became viable in the 90s.
* WP5.1/DOS was finally phased out to Windows/Word in 1999/2000.
* Average line rates dropped to 8 cpl and lower.
* VR editing started and companies paid half for it, reducing line rates to 4 cpl.
* VR editing didn't work out as well as envisioned and MTs had to retype large sections of the report at 4 cpl.
* Nuance and M*Modal bought out all the smaller and mid-sized companies.

Then I thought Nuance specifically was done for when:
* Nuance had their attack and left MTs and especially ICs high and dry without work or pay.

Here we are more than a year later and people who still work for Nuance and are still MTs are complaining about VDI and demanding pushback.

The real lesson here seems to be as long as MTs can feel they've demanded pushback corporations can do anything to them they want. There always seems to be a large enough population more than willing to take the abuse and keep on trucking. Who knew?

I suppose the other side of the coin is people put up with the abuse because it's really not as bad as they make it sound. If it was that bad surely no one would put up with it, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)