Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

Work as an MT - Kismet

Posted: Aug 14th, 2017 - 10:50 am In Reply to: Are there any good companies left to work for?? - ScaredMT

I am an MT with just about 15 years of experience working for a variety of companies from home, both as an IC and employee. Mine may be an extremely unpopular sentiment, but I do not believe that companies are overtly bad or good.

Work as a transcriptionist is going to depend on a multitude of factors, including your supervisors, coworkers, work type assigned, experience, pay rate, benefits (if any), dictators, accounts, platforms.. and the list goes on and on. As an example, a little "tale of 2 MTs" for you: This past winter, the company I was working for was sold out to Nuance. Company-wide panic ensued, as you would imagine. The short of it is that the buyout continued, many people left the company and many people stayed, including both me and a good friend of mine. After the first month with Nuance, I was ecstatic.. I was left on the same accounts/same platform, as promised, my pay had nearly doubled, I had good benefits, an awesome supervisor who was always there and responded quickly if I had any issues - I had nothing to complain about whatsoever.

However, I had talked to my friend after about 2 weeks there. She was having a hard time getting any work - there was never any available on her account, and she tried day and night, weekdays and weekends. She tried repeatedly to get in touch with her supervisor to see what was up and would not receive a reply for days, and the replies did not contain any answers. She held out for a couple of weeks longer, hoping that things would settle down and work would pick up, but ended up leaving because of the lack of work, lack of communication, and her general deep loathing of this company which had lived up to its extremely poor reputation, in her eyes.

Two MTs, relatively equal experience level, same buyout experience, 2 completely and totally different results.

I have come to believe that being an MT is 80% experience and preparation and 20% good old-fashioned dumb luck.

That's just my opinion - I may be wrong.

Best of luck to you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)