A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

sickle cell lab tests - just me

Posted: May 17, 2012

I am not that familiar with lab tests for sickle cell disease.  Is it normal for the doctor in the CBC to state how many sickle cells are seen?   thanks.

CBC would be used to test for anemia - gf

[ In Reply To ..]

patient has known sickle cell disease and anemia - me

[ In Reply To ..]
and it sounds like the doctor after saying the typical CBC stuff (RBCs, WBCs, some polynucleated cells in peripheral blood) seems to say there are _____ sickle cells noted. I have not seen that information included in the CBC before so that was my question.

sm - gf

[ In Reply To ..]
Sickle cell anemia is a disease in which your body produces abnormally shaped red blood cells. I would say it is possible that this could be what the physician is saying.
yah i know - me
[ In Reply To ..]
what sickle cell disease is... I think also it makes sense. believe it or not that was not meant to be a stupid newbie question, I am anything but, but still after 15 years I still encounter new things every day.

Similar Messages:

Sickle Cell
Mar 31, 2012

Patient has sickle cell disease with frequent vaso-occlusive pain crises... s/l "impressive aloe (spelled by dictator) immunization" in patient with moderate immune hemolytic anemia.  I cannot find a reference for this aloe immunization.  Does anybody have a clue if this is correct?  ...

Sickle Cell Thalassemia
Jan 01, 2010

Happy new year all! With or w/o hyphen? Sickle cell thalassemia or sickle-cell thalassemia or sickle cell-thalassemia. Thank You! ...

Sickle Cell Anemia Or Sickle Cell Anemia
May 10, 2011

Which is correct? Capitals or no caps? ...

Tests Tests And More Tests.....grrrr
Dec 18, 2014

Applying for a new job is a job in and of itself these days. Is anyone else having this ?? All these tests on these job applications. They are sometimes hours long. Some of these test reports are HARD. They are harder than most I do now. I work for MW now. I don't really have time to go through all these tests for hours and hours for FREE. I'm thinking of just not doing it and forgetting about that particular application. One of them I really was interested in too but what if I do all ...

CBC Count,s/l "four Red" Sickle Cells
Nov 08, 2014

I am doing lab values and they give the hemoglobin, hematocrit and platelet count and then it  sounds like 4 red sickle cells were noted.  I know sickle cells were noted, and I am trying to figure out what the s/l 4 red is .  Thanks in advance for any help ...

Lab Tests
Jul 19, 2010

I will be rechecking his intact PTH, s/l calsphos, s/l mag  and renal function. I am guessing it is calcium phosphate and magnesium. Am I wrong? ...

Tests
Sep 17, 2010

The patient has no sleep apnea. Normal sleep study. MRI was negative. Rest of pituitary looked fine including a course stem test. Need help with above term...thanks ...

Req For Tests ????
Mar 26, 2015

"he ordered her some outpatient labs test. She lost the req for this and never went back to him."   Req ???? spelling?   thanks in advance  ...

Can Someone Please Take Their Cell Phones Away?
May 05, 2011

I swear she is on a cell phone in a low service area on speaker mode.  Aren't they supposed to dial in on a hospital phone?  At one time a few years back, I thought it was against HIPAA to use cell phones for dictation.  Drives a person nutty. ...

S/l Por-tin-gee Cell Antibodies??
Aug 09, 2011

Help Please!!  ...

C-cell Polyps?
Aug 12, 2011

Is that correct? I'm trying to find "C-cell" definition relating to the colon. ...

2B SNR Cell Carcinoma
Sep 28, 2011

Thanks for any help! ...

Cell Phones - Or Whatever.
Jul 17, 2014

This dictator sounds about 70+ and is still using a device that keeps fading out, some kind of cell phone.  Don't they know how bad that is?  Don't they see how many words are missing in their returned reports?  I really think a lot of doctors are ignorant about technology, especially the older ones.   ...

Urine Tests
Jan 04, 2010

In giving the results of the urine tests, the doc says:   0-5 "highland" casts - is that right? Also, she says negative "ICTA" test - is that right? ...

Ocular Tests
Jan 22, 2010

I have a dictator who dictates the same thing every time and it is fairly clear, but I can't verify it despite looking at a lot of ocular testing sites.  I'm hoping someone here can tell me if I am understanding it correctly.  This is in the context of saccadic eye movements, gaze-hold nystagmus, VOR to slow head movements, VOR to rapid head movements, vergence.  It sounds like, "times 1 viewing" followed by "not tested," but once it was followed by "Patient saw mul ...

Entry Tests
Apr 06, 2010

Will be taking my first employer test. Do you get a chance to skim your test afterward to clean it up, or is it first take goes? Thanks. ...

Neurology Tests See Msg
Jun 10, 2010

neurologist ordered ANA test and line panel.   Is "line" panel correct?  Not saying liver panel. ...

Inscribe Tests
Apr 28, 2011

Has anyone actually been able to get through Inscribe's testing process?  I have tried two times now and it sucks towards the end of the tests.  I must be an IDIOT!  Just curious.... ...

Transcription Tests
Dec 03, 2011

Why in the heck don't employers give you at least some basic instructions for a transcription test? Some want you to format, others don't. Some want you to edit punctuation, etc., others want you to transcribe verbatim. It's very frustrating because they all seem to want something different, yet most don't bother to give instructions.  It's like they expect us to be mindreaders!    ...

Very Frustrated Right Now!! I Have Taken Some Tests
Sep 03, 2012

for MT jobs that were ridiculous as in you basically need to be a doctor to pass, but I took a pretest just to take the coding course and it was ridiculous, as well.  I sure felt like emailing them and saying nevermind, I would not consider taking a course that you have to be a doctor just to do coding!!  Very frustrating!!!! ...

Long Tests
Mar 02, 2013

I got an invitation to test for a transcription company.  This company does not do any doctor's notes, but they do other medical type work such as meetings, etc.  On their site they have 3 tests and you can do all or as many as you feel comfortable doing.  I downloaded one of the tests to check it out and it is almost 30 minutes long.  I am ambivilent about taking such a long test with no compensation just for them to decide if I can do the work.  What do you people ...

Passing Tests
May 14, 2013

15 years radiology experience. Not passing the tests for some reason. No feedback. ...

Lab Tests... Please See Message
Dec 23, 2013

Five s/l PRY/PRIDE nucleotides... TIA ...

Blanks In Tests?
Jun 12, 2015

Do they every throw mistakes in for job testing (that need to blank)?  There were no instructions.   ...

Super Cell Hemangioma
May 25, 2010

Dr. states "super cell hemangioma resection".  Is there such a thing??  He then talks about eyes.  Thanks! ...

Giant Cell Ademona?
Apr 23, 2011

Colorectal surgeon, and I might actually be hearing him correctly, but it sounds like he's saying "He does not have J-eye-uh-fell's' adenoma of the rectum".... ...

So It Is HALLER Or HALAR Cell(s)?
Dec 16, 2011

Been doing rad for 14 years and don't recall having this one.  He pronounced it "halar" (in the sinuses) but my online search yielded about 50/50 halar to Haller.  Even the journals and medical literature are about evenly split on this!  (Tried to link to search results, but apparently this site doesn't allow links to https sites like Scroogle.) Would appreciate input on this one.  Thanks. ...

Cell Phone Dictation :p
Jul 21, 2012

I know someone recently talked about this here, but just thought I'd ask how common is this now?  My last account, which I lost to offshoring, had about 5% cell phone dictators, but this new account seems to have over 20%.  It's driving me crazy - tearing my hair out - almost bald at this point.  :P    ...

Cell Phone Dictation
Sep 28, 2012

What do you do when you have a bunch of dictators who are using cell phones, causing you to leave a bunch of spaces,  and your MTSO refuses to address the problem? ...

Cell Phone Dictations
Dec 29, 2012

As long as you (doc) dictate on a cell phone, I PROMISE to leave blanks in your reports!!  RIDICULOUS!  This company does not pay us enuf to struggle through that crap.  Blankity, blank, blank, blank... ...