A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

neuroforaminal or neural foraminal - lal

Posted: Aug 11, 2010

Spell checker says neuroforaminal is right but I don't find it in my med dictionary.  Any form of neural foraminal, i,.e., foramen, foramina, etc., would be the same, right?

neuroforaminal vs neural foraminal - ddd

[ In Reply To ..]
do a search in this forum and you will see the differing opinions on this, but anytime you use proper combining forms and medical terminology basics, it is a word, even if not found in a dictionary.

I should add....in my opinion.

neural foramina - lal

[ In Reply To ..]
thanks for your help!

BOS 3 says NOT a combined word - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

Just because a dictator is too lazy to say each word and makes it a combined form, does not mean that the word exists.  

This has been discussed for many years, with many different resources.

If your client okays it, then go ahead and combine.  However, if you take a test for a new company, you will be marked wrong.  

Even the BOS 3 has chimed in on this.  

Note: Transcriptionists should be particularly careful when erroneously combined forms of Latin terms are dictated. Consult a reputable dictionary or resource to confirm the correct expressions of these terms.

EXAMPLE 

D: neuroforaminal narrowing

T: neural foraminal narrowing

This is from just one of the places that lists the combined form as incorrect.  

Neural: (1) pertaining to a nerve or to the nerves. (2) situation in the region of the spinal axis, as the neural arch.

Foramen: (1) natural opening or passage. (2) anatomic nomenclature for such a passage, especially one into or through a bone.

Foramina: Pleural of foramen.

Foraminal: pertaining to foramen or foramina.

There is no medical dictionary entry for neuroforamen, neuroforamina or neuroforaminal, which provides the most significant clue for any medical transcriptionist or other medical professional in determining the correct terminology: there is no such term.

The correct terms are:

neural foramen
neural foramina
neural foraminal

Hope this helps.

just for another opinion.... - ddd

[ In Reply To ..]
neuro-combining form denoting relationship to a nerve or nerves.

My medical terminology taught me if you use proper combining forms, prefixes, suffixes and so on, it is a word, the beauty of using medical terminology.

For the record, I type neural foraminal, I just don't think combining them is *wrong* or *not a word* just because it is not in a dictionary, neuro is in a dictionary as a combining form; foraminal is in a dictionary

Never disagreed with your opinion, just giving what the standard is today - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

The Original Poster asked about neural foramen, in particular, and I indicated if the client approves it, then it can be typed as one word.   I never said other words could not be combined.  We go by the standards of how the majority use it today.  It really depends on how strict your QA is.  

Just because words CAN be combined, does not mean that everyone agrees with it.  It is usually what the standard is for that profession.  They are adding words all the time to the dictionary, and until it becomes “official” then Medical Transcriptionists should continue to go by the “standard” now.   Doctors, especially, are notorious for making up words – that does not mean we type it that way (unless instructed to do so by the client).   

Just like the word “alright.”   It is in the dictionary, but it is also qualified by the words “nonstandard usage” and often redirected to “all right.” 

If your QA lets it go and the client agrees, then there is nothing wrong with continuing to combine words.  However, if you want to be “correct by current standards” then what the majority wants is what everyone should go by, and in this case, the majority say neural foramen is 2 words.  

By the way, I have never been corrected by QA for using two words when a combined form COULD be used.  Heck, I would just as soon use the longer words and space in between (if you get paid for spaces) and not have to look at that stupid squiggly redline under the word because my medical dictionary does not recognize the combined word.  

Just my opinion. 

and that is a good one! - ddd
[ In Reply To ..]
in fact I could come up with a macro that said "the hole in the spinal column through which the nerve passes through" and get paid even more! LOL
neural foraminal - ; ) see message
[ In Reply To ..]
You explained it beautifully above! The hole (foramen) is in the vertebral body, with nerves passing through it. The foramen itself is not supplied with nerves (unlike the stomach, for which we use the word "neurogastric").

In this case, "neural" stands alone to denote the type of foramen rather than to describe a physiological relationship. (Like "cardiac foramen" versus "neurocardiogenic", for example.)

I think this is one of those oddball cases where you actually can't run the words together, as it changes the meaning!

gotta love it! :)

neural foramina - lal

[ In Reply To ..]
Awesome! Thank yo all for the help!

Similar Messages:

Neural Foraminal Or Neuroforaminal?
Mar 20, 2010

Which is the correct one?  ...

Neuroforaminal Or Neural Foraminal?
Jul 01, 2010

as in s/l "neuroforaminal" narrowing thanks for any help! ...

Neuroforaminal Vs. Neural Foraminal
Aug 12, 2011

I have been a neurologist for the past 12 years and work both at the VA in the Comp and Pen Division as well as doing State examinations and the term neural vs. neuro- foramina and its variants is a constant point of contention among colleagues.  I've read through the posts and have spent a good deal of time perusing various online resources on this fascinating question.  My conclusion (as someone in an earlier post already figured out) is that NEUROFORAMINA as 1 word is consider ...

Is It Neuroforaminal Or Neural Foraminal??
Mar 04, 2012

I am finding it both ways when I search. ...

Neural Foraminal?
May 23, 2014

Are neural foraminal and neuroforaminal interchangeable terms? ...

Nuroforaminal Narrowing Or Neural Foraminal Narrowing
Apr 15, 2010

MRI san .......showing multilevel degenerative disc changes and moderate to severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing. TIA. ...

Is Neuroforaminal Narrowing A Real Word? TIA!
Oct 16, 2009

x   ...

Exit Foraminal Or Extraforaminal?
Oct 01, 2010

MRI of the lumbar spine.  Sounds like "exit foraminal" or "extraforaminal" effacement.  I can't tell which he is saying.  ...

S/l Foraminal Axaportal Pain
Dec 23, 2014

s/l foraminal axaportal pain on shoulder exam.  Thanks ...

Neural Goiter?
Nov 03, 2009

He says: "There is no JVD, neural goiter." I googled "neural goiter" and nothing came up.... is that the wrong word? If he isnt saying neural goiter, it sounds just like it! ...

Neural Foramen Appear Peeking?
Nov 12, 2009

The neural foramen appear peeking?  ...

Neurotension Or Neural Tension
Mar 16, 2010

Which is correct:  Neurotension testing or neural tension?  Thanks! ...

Neuroforaman Or Neural Foramen?
May 28, 2010

x ...

'neurofroamen' Or 'neural Foramen'
Aug 15, 2010

Is there really a difference between 'neuroforamen' or 'neural foramen' or does it just depend on your client instructions? ...

Neuroforaminotomy Or Neural Foraminotomy?
Aug 08, 2012

I am transcribing a report and the doctor says "neuroforaminotomy." I have searched it on several different Websites and find it both ways (neuroforaminotomy not on reliable Websites). Which is correct? Thanks for any help. ...

S/l "extragrided" Foraminal Injection
Mar 15, 2011

Sentence is "Referring her to pain managment for "extragrided" foraminal injections would be appropriate." ...

Okay, Stupid Question Here ... Neural Deficit Or Neuro Deficit On Physical Exam
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks so much!! ...