A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Neuroforaminal vs. Neural Foraminal - Drdar

Posted: Aug 12, 2011

I have been a neurologist for the past 12 years and work both at the VA in the Comp and Pen Division as well as doing State examinations and the term neural vs. neuro- foramina and its variants is a constant point of contention among colleagues. 

I've read through the posts and have spent a good deal of time perusing various online resources on this fascinating question.  My conclusion (as someone in an earlier post already figured out) is that NEUROFORAMINA as 1 word is considered an acceptable neologism.  The term by mass usage consensus is understood by the medical community at large though there does not seem to be any support for this term in any medical dictionary even as a colloquialism.  And since nobody but a trained and saavy court reporter or grammarian would even think of questioning a doctor who may use the term it is consequently glossed over and left to the esoterics to debate.....I guess that's us!

A pubmed central search using the term NEUROFORAMINAL got 31 hits.  As an example, in the European Spine Journal the following title is found:

Eur Spine J. 2007 December; 16(Suppl 3): 326–331.
Published online 2006 October 20. doi:  10.1007/s00586-006-0237-2
PMCID: PMC2148084
Surgical removal of extravasated epidural and NEUROFORAMINAL polymethylmethacrylate after percutaneous vertebroplasty in the thoracic spine
Chang-Chin Wu,3 Mu-Hung Lin,1 Shu-Hua Yang,corresponding author1 Po-Quang Chen,1 and Tiffany Ting-Fang Shih2
1Department of Orthopedics, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, 7 Jhong-Shan South Road, 10002 Taipei, Taiwan
2Department of Radiology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
3Department of Orthopedic Surgery, En Chu Kong Memorial Hospital, San-Shia, Taipei County, Taiwan
Shu-Hua Yang, dawnyang@ha.mc.ntu.edu.tw.
corresponding authorCorresponding author.
Received May 10, 2006; Revised July 18, 2006; Accepted September 20, 2006.
We will revisit this question in the next decade and see if continued use of this incorrect term has made it into accepted dictionaries yet.  TEXT me if anyone figures it out!  LOL.
Cheers and keep up the good work!  Somebody needs to take responsibility to protect what is considered the most truthful and most correct use of language otherwise, knowledge across the board and among the masses will clearly deteriorate into random bits of information.  And correctness would eventually become that of an individual's opinion thereby defeating millions of years of cognitive evolution that we've strived to achieve as a race of beings.
Regards,
Dariush Saghafi, MD
Director Headache Clinic
Dept. of Neurology
VA Medical Center
Cleveland, OH

??? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, that's just weird, but thanks for the info.

thanks DrDar - no wonder we have a headache!

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sticking to my guns, preferring neural foramen, neural foraminal, etc.

Always an interesting question!

neural foramen, neural foramina, neural foraminal - Doctor, doctor

[ In Reply To ..]
The following is what I was taught for the above terms.

Neural: (1) pertaining to a nerve or to the nerves. (2) situation in the region of the spinal axis, as the neural arch.

Foramen: (1) natural opening or passage. (2) anatomic nomenclature for such a passage, especially one into or through a bone.

Foramina: Pleural of foramen.

Foraminal: pertaining to foramen or foramina.

There is no medical dictionary entry for neuroforamen, neuroforamina or neuroforaminal, which provides the most significant clue for any medical transcriptionist or other medical professional in determining the correct terminology: there is no such term.

The correct terms are:
neural foramen
neural foramina
neural foraminal

Neuroforaminal - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I also use neuroforaminal and that's what my Stedman's spellchecker says is correct as well.

Validity of Spellchecker - drdar

[ In Reply To ..]
Hmmm.....interesting problem.....now spellcheckers are being appealed to as being able to validate the literal correction of language? Personally, I put little stock into them. They are flawed and whenever I want the final word on something controversial I always try and reference text sources and verify connection between multiple universally accepted standards.

That's how I was taught too - neural foramina

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that the words need to be separated as well. I edit now and sometimes it does come up as one word and when it does, I separate it into two words.

Dear Dr. Saghafi - billie

[ In Reply To ..]
We would just be happy if the doctors would dictate in a professional timely manner instead of all the slop we have to deal with.

Dictating in a timely fashion - drdar

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I stopped using hospital dictation equipment eons ago. I type everything and it is done 99% of the time at the conclusion of my visit with the patient, checked, edited, and signed off. I have typed as much as 165 pages inside of 4 hrs. while seeing 8 patients and FAX'ing all reports to the Bureau of Disability in that time......me, myself, and I....no secretaries doing that work.....it's too important to me to let someone else handle the task. I used to use digital dictation with Olympus equipment and then, hand over to the secretary to allow her to edit what the computer got wrong.....what a waste of my time and hers that was.....anybody have any experience with later generations of that technology? I don't think Dragon is very good so am not going to spend a grand on proving the point.

Similar Messages:

Neural Foraminal Or Neuroforaminal?
Mar 20, 2010

Which is the correct one?  ...

Neuroforaminal Or Neural Foraminal?
Jul 01, 2010

as in s/l "neuroforaminal" narrowing thanks for any help! ...

Neuroforaminal Or Neural Foraminal
Aug 11, 2010

Spell checker says neuroforaminal is right but I don't find it in my med dictionary.  Any form of neural foraminal, i,.e., foramen, foramina, etc., would be the same, right? ...

Is It Neuroforaminal Or Neural Foraminal??
Mar 04, 2012

I am finding it both ways when I search. ...

Neural Foraminal?
May 23, 2014

Are neural foraminal and neuroforaminal interchangeable terms? ...

Nuroforaminal Narrowing Or Neural Foraminal Narrowing
Apr 15, 2010

MRI san .......showing multilevel degenerative disc changes and moderate to severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing. TIA. ...

Is Neuroforaminal Narrowing A Real Word? TIA!
Oct 16, 2009

x   ...

Exit Foraminal Or Extraforaminal?
Oct 01, 2010

MRI of the lumbar spine.  Sounds like "exit foraminal" or "extraforaminal" effacement.  I can't tell which he is saying.  ...

S/l Foraminal Axaportal Pain
Dec 23, 2014

s/l foraminal axaportal pain on shoulder exam.  Thanks ...

Neural Goiter?
Nov 03, 2009

He says: "There is no JVD, neural goiter." I googled "neural goiter" and nothing came up.... is that the wrong word? If he isnt saying neural goiter, it sounds just like it! ...

Neural Foramen Appear Peeking?
Nov 12, 2009

The neural foramen appear peeking?  ...

Neurotension Or Neural Tension
Mar 16, 2010

Which is correct:  Neurotension testing or neural tension?  Thanks! ...

Neuroforaman Or Neural Foramen?
May 28, 2010

x ...

'neurofroamen' Or 'neural Foramen'
Aug 15, 2010

Is there really a difference between 'neuroforamen' or 'neural foramen' or does it just depend on your client instructions? ...

Neuroforaminotomy Or Neural Foraminotomy?
Aug 08, 2012

I am transcribing a report and the doctor says "neuroforaminotomy." I have searched it on several different Websites and find it both ways (neuroforaminotomy not on reliable Websites). Which is correct? Thanks for any help. ...

S/l "extragrided" Foraminal Injection
Mar 15, 2011

Sentence is "Referring her to pain managment for "extragrided" foraminal injections would be appropriate." ...

Okay, Stupid Question Here ... Neural Deficit Or Neuro Deficit On Physical Exam
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks so much!! ...