A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is the correct way to abbreviate.... - mt12

Posted: Apr 05, 2011

What is the correct way to abbreviate microunits?  The doc is dictating a TSH value and is saying microunits/mL.... TIA

always spell out micro and unit - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
U is on the list of dangerous abbreviations. U was used for micro and U for unit, which is confusing. U was also confused with 0 in drug dosages, like units of insulin. The use of U has been discontinued.

Most clients prefer it be spelled out; in my experience - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

The technical correct way is:

µU/mL = microunits per milliliter

However, since µ is a Dangerous Abbreviation, most laboratory databases and clients prefer it be spelled out as

microunits/ml  (ml or mL depending on your client preferences)

Thyroid Function tests

Free T3

2.3-4.2 pg/ml

Serum T3

70-200 ng/dl

Free T4

0.5-2.1 ng/dl

Serum T4

4.0-12.0 mcg/dl

TSH

0.25-4.30 microunits/ml

Thanks to both of you!! - mt12

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Shortcut Or Abbreviate?
Sep 10, 2010

Does anyone know if either Shortcut or Abbreviate expanders are compatible with Docqscribe?  I'm looking for something similar to Smartype.  thanks! ...

How Do You Decide What Is Okay To Abbreviate?
Mar 27, 2011

I know some are obvious, like MRI, but how do you decide what is okay to abbreviate and what is not?  For example, I am transcribing for a neurologist/sleep study doc and he uses CPAP, COPD, and JVD a lot.  Are those to be spelled out?  In school, we learned that everything should be spelled out, but I have seen evidence to the contrary in several books.  What is your opinion? ...

ABBREVIATE Program
May 16, 2012

I used to use Abbreviate for short forms and loved it.  That was a couple of operating systems ago.  Is anyone still using that? Does it work with Vista or Win XP?  I think the company went out of business which is unfortunate. ...

Abbreviate/Bayscribe
Aug 06, 2014

Does anyone know how to convert a .txt file to .abr to be converted to use in Abbreviate?  I have an older Abbreviate directory with 3000 entries and I have 5000 entries in a .txt file from Bayscribe's word expander.   ...

Abbreviate Or Comparable
Feb 15, 2015

Does anyone know of a way to download Abbreviate, or of a comparable word expander that would accept my painstakingly-built Abbreviate expansion list?  Thank you in advance! ...

What Is The Proper Way To Abbreviate Subcutaneous?...
Mar 19, 2011

subcu, sub-cu, sub-Q, etc..?  TIA ...

Doctors Who Abbreviate Drug Dosages
Jun 18, 2015

I have noticed a disturbing trend with the doctors I transcribe for.  They will dictate medications in a dangerous way.  For example Nexium 40 rather than Nexium 40 mg.  They are seldom dictating mg, mcg, etc.  I find this dangerous and wonder if it is laziness on their part or apathy or something else.  Not to mention that it falls on the MT to "help them out" so to speak which takes time.  I just find it frustrating.  Thanks for listening. ...

What Is The Proper Way To Abbreviate "reference"... Please See Message
Apr 05, 2010

The doc is dictating a monograph and she says:  The aorta may dilate later in pregnancy, and the woman who already has a dilated aorta is at risk of dissection and rupture (reference Pyeritz).   Do I abbreviate reference as Ref: Pyreitz?  Or spell it out?  TIA...... ...

Which One Is Correct? Q.4h Or Q.4 H ?
Nov 10, 2009

n/m ...

Is This The Correct Way Sm
Nov 13, 2009

to type (tibial tubercle plasty) tia. ...

Does This Seem To Be Correct?
Nov 14, 2009

If we do come to surgery, we would probably do both at the same time and do it under an **epidural spinal/epidural anesthetic **in attempt to reduce her risk for recurrent problems there.   This is exactly how he says it in between the ** tia. ...

Is This Correct??? Help!
Nov 29, 2009

"Wound was subsequently closed with 5-4 Ethilon sutures in an interrupted fashion. " The dictator is clearly saying 5-4 Ethilon sutures, not 5-0 or 4-0. Can anyone confirm that?     ...

Does This Look Correct?
Feb 04, 2010

***has chronic kidney disease stage IV with an estimated GFR of 19 mL/min per 1.3 m2.   I am mostly concerned about the 1.3 meters squared.  Is this correct?  ...

S/l Via Can This Be Correct
Feb 22, 2010

At this point, due to the failure of conservative measures, we have discussed proceeding with a subacromial decompression via arthroscopy. tia. ...

Please Tell Me If This Is Correct...
Mar 03, 2010

Doc says this exactly but I'm not sure what "chromogen" has to do with BCP.   "Ortho Tri-Cyclen, she takes that regularly now, chromogen birth control pills." ...

Pen Vee-K, Pen VK, Or...Which Is Correct?
Jun 26, 2011

Is there a correct way to transcribe this?  In all of my research, I've seen it Penicillin V-K, Pen Vee-K, Pen V-K, Pen VK, you name it, I've seen it. Does anyone if all of these are acceptable or is there an absolute correct way to transcribe it? TIA and have a great Sunday! ...

F-18 FDG Correct Or F-18-FDG ?
Mar 22, 2011

This is contrast used in PET CTs.    Which way is correct?  Thanks! ...

Why Did QA Correct This?
Apr 21, 2011

I sent in a report with 2 blanks because of a discrepancy.  When I got the feedback, every single time I typed "diabetes type 2" as was dictated, it was corrected to "non-insulin-dependent diabetes type 2."  If that's how they want it, it's okay with me, but it seems a tad like padding the line count! ...

What Is Correct
Aug 31, 2011

What is the correct way to type q a.m. and q day? For some reason I thought I remembered reading we werent' supposed to use the q and should type every a.m. or every day or daily, but I can't reference it anywhere now? ...

Which Is Correct? 70%-90% Or 70-90%....
Oct 08, 2011

xx ...

Just Want To Know If This Is Correct
Jul 01, 2012

I have been told for the past 2 days that there is no work available on 2 of my accounts, and I am wondering if other MTs have been told the same thing.  This is usually not the case, and 1 major account decided not to have TT do their work.  The other 2 accounts I am now on also have little or not work.  Has anyone else had trouble getting work or no work?  This is really beginning to bother me, and when you ask someone in charge on the evening shift they don't lik ...

AM I CORRECT ON THIS? (SM)
Jul 09, 2012

Am I correct that you write  there is kyphosis from C2 to C5, but there is kyphosis from C2-C3?  The hyphen only being used when the vertebrae are next to one another?   Thanks! ...

Is This Correct? SM
Jul 26, 2012

If both those tests indicate that A) He is not at risk for another myocardial infarction, and B) There has been no further deterioration in left ventricular contractility, then I will give him the okay to go ahead with surgery. Is the A. and B. part correct? I wasn't sure about capitalizing the first word after those too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

How To Correct?
Apr 04, 2014

Patient with bladder cancer.  PA clearly dictates "heme-ish looking urine" and "hemey looking urine".  How would one go about correcting this?  It's been a long day and my mind is fried. ...

Re-CT'ing Correct?
Nov 27, 2014

On verbatim acct, is re-CT'ing okay? ...

How Would You Like To Correct This Mess?
Nov 07, 2009

Ever wonder why you miss words that are misspelled, even when you “carefully” proof every page?  If you can read the following, you will learn the answer.    From Cambridge University : O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, t he olny iprmoatnt tihn ...

Dr. Says.. By Me, Is That Grammar Correct?
Nov 17, 2009

right-handed white male who previously underwent surgery by me, ...  Or would I change to by myself ...

Which Is The Correct Spelling?
Nov 25, 2009

hemachromatosis or hemochromatosis ...

Punctuation Help Is This Correct?
Dec 09, 2009

The patient is now about 1 week postoperative arthroscopy and debridement of the right knee for a posterior horn tear of the medial meniscus, medial extensor plica, and synovial calcinosis.   tia ...

Correct Wording
Jan 21, 2010

Would are or is be more appropriate in this sentence? On examination of the abdomen, no guarding or hepatosplenomegaly ______ noted. Thanks! ...