A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is the proper way to abbreviate "reference"... please see message - mt12

Posted: Apr 05, 2010

The doc is dictating a monograph and she says:  The aorta may dilate later in pregnancy, and the woman who already has a dilated aorta is at risk of dissection and rupture (reference Pyeritz).   Do I abbreviate reference as Ref: Pyreitz?  Or spell it out?  TIA......

type exactly what she is saying or you hearing - re, ref, reference

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

She is saying.... - mt12

[ In Reply To ..]
The doctor is saying: The aorta may dilate later in pregnancy, and the woman who already has a dilated aorta is at risk of dissection and rupture "parentheses, reference Pyeritz, end parentheses.

then you type - (reference: Pyeritz)

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not abbreviate anything.

Thanks! - mt12

[ In Reply To ..]

reference - MTtoolong

[ In Reply To ..]
Following verbatim guidelines, I would spell the word out. Otherwise, ref is the abbreviated form.

Similar Messages:

What Is The Proper Way To Abbreviate Subcutaneous?...
Mar 19, 2011

subcu, sub-cu, sub-Q, etc..?  TIA ...

Proper Way To Type Years Of Residency...please See Message
Jul 25, 2012

A resident is dictating a letter for a doctor and I am not sure of the proper way to type the year of residency:  "Dictated by Dr. Carol Smith, Resident 3, for Dr. Jones."  OR:  "Dictated by Dr. Carol Smith, Resident III, for Dr. Jones."  TIA! ...

Shortcut Or Abbreviate?
Sep 10, 2010

Does anyone know if either Shortcut or Abbreviate expanders are compatible with Docqscribe?  I'm looking for something similar to Smartype.  thanks! ...

How Do You Decide What Is Okay To Abbreviate?
Mar 27, 2011

I know some are obvious, like MRI, but how do you decide what is okay to abbreviate and what is not?  For example, I am transcribing for a neurologist/sleep study doc and he uses CPAP, COPD, and JVD a lot.  Are those to be spelled out?  In school, we learned that everything should be spelled out, but I have seen evidence to the contrary in several books.  What is your opinion? ...

What Is The Correct Way To Abbreviate....
Apr 05, 2011

What is the correct way to abbreviate microunits?  The doc is dictating a TSH value and is saying microunits/mL.... TIA ...

ABBREVIATE Program
May 16, 2012

I used to use Abbreviate for short forms and loved it.  That was a couple of operating systems ago.  Is anyone still using that? Does it work with Vista or Win XP?  I think the company went out of business which is unfortunate. ...

Abbreviate/Bayscribe
Aug 06, 2014

Does anyone know how to convert a .txt file to .abr to be converted to use in Abbreviate?  I have an older Abbreviate directory with 3000 entries and I have 5000 entries in a .txt file from Bayscribe's word expander.   ...

Abbreviate Or Comparable
Feb 15, 2015

Does anyone know of a way to download Abbreviate, or of a comparable word expander that would accept my painstakingly-built Abbreviate expansion list?  Thank you in advance! ...

Doctors Who Abbreviate Drug Dosages
Jun 18, 2015

I have noticed a disturbing trend with the doctors I transcribe for.  They will dictate medications in a dangerous way.  For example Nexium 40 rather than Nexium 40 mg.  They are seldom dictating mg, mcg, etc.  I find this dangerous and wonder if it is laziness on their part or apathy or something else.  Not to mention that it falls on the MT to "help them out" so to speak which takes time.  I just find it frustrating.  Thanks for listening. ...

What Is The Proper Way
Aug 01, 2010

crow's feet crows' feet crows feet THANKS!!  ...

What Is The Proper Way To Write...
Jun 11, 2010

What is the prope way to type this out:   five-tenths of a cc. I have been typing 0.5 cc, but I am thinking maybe it should be 0.05 cc.  Please help set me straight!  Thanks! ...

Proper Height
Jul 16, 2010

What is the current proper form for height when the doc says "height five-five?"  I am so paranoid about everything now with MQ. ...

Which Is The Proper Way - T3N0 Or T3 N0 Or T3, N0 Or T3-N0
Oct 20, 2011

Is there a right or wrong way.  I'm researching and all of those come up. Thanks, ...

Proper Use Of Hispanic
Mar 07, 2012

I was wondering if I should correct this doctor. He said She is Hispanic speaking, but Hispanic isn't a language. Should I put Spanish? ...

Proper Use Of Plurals
Apr 02, 2013

Ok, is it proper to say "bottoms of both feet" or "bottom of both feet"?? My dictator and I have been going around and around on this...please help! ...

Proper Names
Apr 10, 2013

It must be too early.  I've talked myself in and out of this but need a little help here.  In names such as Martinez, when the sentence is, "she was sent from Dr. Martinez's office" is it Martinez's or Martinez'.  Told you it was early.  Would appreciate the help please.  Thank you.  ...

Proper Format
Dec 05, 2014

MD dictates C5-6... I usually change this to C5-C6, as it seems that is the more correct way.  Should C5-6 be used? ...

Proper Way To Type It
Dec 19, 2014

Doc just says in Diagnosis "3 4 neuroma" Should that be 3/4, 3-4, 3,4 or other? ...

MQ As A Reference -- To MQ MTs Job Hunting
Nov 18, 2009

When completing job applications, are you all putting down the main MQ number in Laurel, NJ, are you using your current CCM's info (they chg so frequently), or using the URL for employment verification.  I have to find something else soon.  I guess you can consider me a complainer now too because I'm tired of making less and less money but working more hours.  I'm working another job, but have to find a replacement for MQ asap.  I can't do this anymor ...

Reference Books
Nov 20, 2009

Question regarding use of reference books....I've been working for the same transcription company for 10 years and have kept very busy in that time, but as of the last six months, they have lost accounts and work has dropped off significantly.    I applied for a job last week that asked me which reference books I currently use.  To be honest, I haven't renewed any of my reference books in about 8 years, as I found it to be much, much quicker to locate terms via the Internet if you ...

Liver Reference
Feb 09, 2010

"Pychmial" widening of the sinusoids in the central zones. ...

Prescription Reference
Apr 24, 2010

Is there a reference source where I can search a prescription even though I do not know the first letter of the prescription.  For example:  %cilozine.  ...

Best Radiology Reference
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone recommend the best radiology reference? I'd like terms, phrases, and abbreviations combined. I'd like to have one reference at-hand. First, assignment/dictator could barely understand. How long before you felt more comfortable with various reports? ...

Reference Problems
Jun 20, 2011

Does anyone else have problems supplying work references?  It seems the jobs I'm interested in all very emphatically ask for work references that can be verified and I've worked at home for just two companies in the past 10 years and had no contact with any other employees besides my supervisors.  I definitely don't want to give the current employer as a reference so that leaves me one that I worked for six years ago.  Not sure what to do in this case. ...

Reference Preference
Dec 02, 2010

I am new to MTStars and am currently enrolled as a MT student working toward completing an AAS degree. I am in my 6th quarter and starting to transcribe documents and reports in all the different fields. This week our transcription class discussion was centered around different reference resources and guides and I was wondering what are some of the favorites that are actually used by experienced MTs. I have never worked in a medical profession and making a huge transition after becoming una ...

What Is The Best Reference Site For... Sm
Jan 09, 2012

Brand and generic names for medications.  I've been using drugs.com and rxlist.com, but some of the meds are coming back from QA as being capitalized/lower cased incorrectly. ...

Reference Reports
Mar 13, 2012

Been trying to work on these mumbling dictators and the reference reports that used to be in the system are no longer there.  Guess it's just another way to screw us on our pay by having to use markers.  Wonder why they took them out....MMMMMM. ...

Reference Material Help
May 29, 2012

So I'm wondering what the difference between the Nurse's Pocket Drug Guide and The Pill Book is. I am trying to gather some reference material to be better stocked for my first transcription job and I'm not sure what to actually get. I'm on a tight budget but know that I need decent material. Throughout school I mostly used my textbooks and online reference material and it worked great but I'm not sure if companies are open to that type of work/referencing. Any help or a ...

This Is In Reference To The Post Right Below Me Sm
Aug 15, 2012

Sorry not sure what people have said and not sure where this would be posted but.........all those things you list, we have had but the Q took them all away!    Everything you say is correct but the suits want the money and throughout corporate America no company wants to pay the people who do the work.  They just want the money in their pockets.  Until the Q loses accounts because the work is so bad will they think about paying the MTs what we are worth.  Don't ...

Need Reference Suggestions...
Feb 26, 2013

I've just been hired to transcribe for a new transplant clinic.  I'm not really familar with the terminology and medications that might accompany this field.  Are there any good reference word books (such as Stedman's) that you'd suggest me getting? Thanks in advance for the help!  ...