A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To Comma or not to Comma, That is the Question - Renee

Posted: Dec 03, 2011

Hi,

Does a comma belong in this sentence?

"The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity, consistent with fatty infiltration."

-OR-

"The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity consistent with fatty infiltration."

Thanks!

I would use the comma - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I did, and - Renee

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that's how I do it too. For one thing it looks better, and I also think it's easier to read with the comma.

I did it that way on a transcription test recently, and it was marked incorrect. :(

Thanks for your response. :)

The echogenicity is consistent with fatty infiltration, no need for the comma - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

The comma is optional. Could go either way. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

comma - saraAnn

[ In Reply To ..]
No comma needed.

Similar Messages:

Comma Or No Comma!
Oct 17, 2009

PROCEDURE Total Thyroidectomy, complications bibasilar discoid atelecatasis with probable pneumonitis. Is there a comma, other punctuation or no punctuation?? Any and all help appreciated   ...

Comma/and
Feb 25, 2010

I'm just a little confused as to how to use comma/and combination?  apples, rasperries, and pears OR apples, rasperries and pears Recently I was told that "and" is the comma.  I thought the AHDI standard was comma before and.  ...

Need Comma Help
Mar 06, 2010

Hi everyone, No I'm not post happy, but I do have a few questions that I feel need to be answered. I am having a hard time with commas. When I did a transcription test (none medical) for a transcription service, I got my test back and it was all marked up and they said it was mostly punctuation errors, like commas. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome my comma problem so I don't fail anymore transcription service tests? I was really embarrassed to get my test back because it wasn� ...

Comma Help!
Mar 20, 2010

Past medical history includes a transient ischemic attack treated since that time with aspirin. Comma after attack?? I'm thinking no comma..... ...

Comma?
Jul 13, 2010

"Each time the hernia would protrude he would have significant discomfort." Do I need a comma betweed protrude and he?   ...

Comma With NOS
Dec 07, 2011

Mood Disorder NOS or Mood Disorder, NOS   Thanks! ...

Comma Or No Comma
Jul 25, 2012

When the sentence begins with "From _____ standpoint" - Should there be a comma after "standpoint?" From a cardiology standpoint, he is clear for surgery. OR From a cardiology standpoint he is clear for surgery. Thank you.   ...

Comma Or No Comma?
Sep 12, 2012

On 07/25/2012 the patient underwent whatever. On 07/25/2012, the patient underwent whatever. One QA says comma, another QA says no comma.  Can anyone reference this for me? Thx!!!!   ...

Comma In As Well As
Mar 20, 2013

Please advise on commas in "as well as".  I think it should only be one prior to like; "She is on some probiotics, as well as some natural hormone substitutes." Thanks! ...

Comma Help Thank You
May 03, 2013

On 05/03/13, I asked a question about using commas. On 05/03/13 I asked a question about using commas. Which one is correct? Thanks. ...

Comma Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is a whatever-year-old male who was seen today for whatever.  OR The patient is a whatever-year-old male, who was seen today for whatever. ...

Comma Troubles
Jan 28, 2010

Doctor diagnosed tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty for coronary heart disease, history of alcohol abuse, and asthma.  I'm confused... should there be a comma between disease and post angioplasty? Plz help.    ...

Thanks For All The Comma/and Help Family
Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st? First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal First rib, or 1st rib When should you use first and when should you use 1st?  Thanks family! ...

Freakin Comma
Apr 06, 2010

I have a dictator who is on 100% QA.  I just had a chart returned to me because even though my QC said it was correct use of the comma, the dictator did not want the comma in there.  Ok, so now I will give him NO commas anywhere unless he says "comma."  For the love of God, can we EVER have a standard and consistent way of doing things and not let doctor so-and-so from here get this and doctor so-and-so from here get that. I guess I am just so OVER i ...

Comma Placement
Apr 12, 2011

I know a comma is to be placed after the year, i.e., On March 27, 2011, she underwent an operation.  But, what about when formatted this way?  3/27/2011?  Do you still place a comma after the year? TIA! ...

Comma After Since Phrase?
Nov 21, 2011

Since his last office visit, he has not had any..... OR Since his last office visit he has not had any.....    Comma or not after "since his last office visit" ?  Thanks! ...

Comma Quesiton
Apr 12, 2012

Hi, I am wondering if there is a comma after "overall" when it starts a sentence.  Any info would be appreciated.  ...

Comma Placement?
Apr 27, 2012

I get these types of sentences constantly and always question my comma placement. "We will see her back in the office following her injection and if she does not improve, we would consider surgical intervention at that time." My question is whether there should be a comma either before or after "and." I know a comma needs to separate 2 independent clauses but the introductory phrase in the second clause throws me off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) ...

More Comma Questions
Aug 10, 2012

She underwent a PET scan, which showed... or She underwent a PET scan which showed.... ...

Comma After Dates
Nov 20, 2012

I'm kind of confused about this.  Does a comma go after the date all the time?  For example:  LFTs from 10/23/2012, are within normal limits, or lab tests from 12/14/2011, are normal. I always put commas after the year when I worked at home. Now I work outside the home and I'm confused about it. Everything here is in a different format and I'm just not sure.  I found a post on here from August about it but still not sure what to do. TIA ...

Comma Question
Jul 10, 2014

The patient is a 30-year-old man who was diagnosed with whatever in 2014. OR The patient is a 30-year-old man, who was diagnosed with whatever in 2014. ...

Comma Nazis
Sep 08, 2014

Get over yourselves, girls!! ...

Comma After An Ordinal In Dates?
May 04, 2011

In my company we use ordinals in dates, example May 4th 2011. Would there be a comma after the 4th in the date like there is if it was May 4, 2011? I know that oridinals in dates is not encourage, but the client specs require us to put the dates as they dictate them. Recently my QA person marked me off for not putting a comma (I believe there should not be one) and I cannot verify this anywhere on the web. I'd appreciate it if someone can help clear this up for me and if possible provide th ...

Comma Before Status Post?
Aug 10, 2012

He has hydrocephalus, status post VP shunt.  Is it correct to put a comma before status post or best to leave it out?  As I work longer, I realize I need to brush up on my grammar.  Thanks for the help. ...

Capitalization - Would I Cap Plastic Surgery And Have A Comma? 
Mar 16, 2010

We will discuss with Dr. ___ (plastic surgery Mayo Clinic)  the doctor dictates the parenthesis.  Would I cap Plastic Surgery and have a comma?  We will discuss with Dr. ___ (Plastic Surgery, Mayo Clinic) ...

Putting Comma After Typing A Date
Jul 01, 2011

I was taught to always put a comma after the date when it is typed in a text, even in the middle of a sentence. QA said that is wrong. Which is correct? ...

MM Audits: Since When Is It An Error To Use A Comma To Separate
Nov 12, 2014

two independent clauses?!  I get it that it's now acceptable to just omit the comma so that people don't have to learn the punctuation rules or make an extra keystroke just for a comma, but if you feel like going out of your way to do it correctly, how on earth is it an error....?  Where do they get these auditors? ...

Tech Help - Making A Comma With The Left Hand
Sep 18, 2014

I could increase my speed a lot if I could find some way to make a comma with my left hand.  I'm using my right hand to control the ==> cursor, and I have an ESL dictator who never says "comma" and a POS speech recognition software that never puts in commas, so I have 25 commas per report to put in. Is there any way to designate comma (,) to another key?  I have a Microsoft ergometric keyboard.   Thanks. ...

Damp Musty Areas-should There Be A Comma Or Hypen Or / Between Words? Sm
Aug 01, 2013

Indoors there are damp musty areas and cold temperatures, but overall not many problems are noted. ...

Pea Brain Resident, Telling Me Comma, Space, Space,
Feb 15, 2011

Really, shouldn't he be more concerned about the content of the report rather than telling me where to put periods and commas and spaces.  You know I just never would have figured that one out without him! ...