A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please help, im doing an assignment on Psychiatry. - xoxo

Posted: Nov 11, 2009

Im doing an assignment and its on psych, im getting lost because I don't know if I have to do between the tests , or . or? can someone just explain the rules my teacher never went over this, thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated;

This current psychological evaluation, including a review of intellectual and memory processing was obtained in part, to evaluate for Social Security Disability services.

Tests administered:

Wexler adult intelligence scale. (WAIS)

Revised Wexler adult intelligence scale (WAIS-R)

Wexler memory scale.

BACKGROUND HISTORY:

Patient presents with a chief complaint "Where I was working several months ago they advised me to do this". She indicated that she is not currently employed as result of significant difficulties with asthma, as well as a sciatic pain in her right side. Patient spoke in extremely low voice. She lossed her voice approximately 2 years ago due to "a very bad infection". She elaborated by indicating that "Physician’s never figured it out". And apparently medications were not helpful.

She has been treated for asthma, bronchitis and significant cough. Patient has been unemployed since August because, “I got fired because I don't talk enough". She was fired from a medical assistant position according to her report. Patient indicates that over the years," I lost a lot of my people skills". The patient has experienced intermittent depression since undergoing chemotherapy and cobalt treatments for breast cancer about 3 years ago

MEDICATIONS:

Current medications include; Proventil inhaler for asthma, sinus washes, and cough drops as well as half tablets of Tylenol 3 for cough. She is also taking for sciatic. Patient notes erratic sleep and some energy disturbance. She has had trials of Prozac, Zoloft and Welbutrin.

BEHAVIORAL OBSERVATION:

Vocabulary is intact, although speech is extremely soft and at times almost inaudit.Tracking and conversations are within normal limits with no associations, circumstantialities no tangentially and thought processes. Articulation is good. Her appearance is obese, casual grooming, humor was generally good. She is generally a good historian, although at times is vague. General demeanor is polite and cooperative. The patient is alert and oriented to time, person, place, situation and clear sensorium.

She denies auditory or visual or factory or tactile hallucinations, delusions of reference, grandiosity or persecution. Since of reality testing intact with no schizophrenia thought processes. Persecution or receiving special messages from TV/radio. She currently denies suicidal ideation or plan, although has had some cluding suicidal thinking. Inside and judgment is fair.

TEST RESULTS:

Intellectual functioning, (WAIS). Verbal sub tested information, 8. Digit span, 12. Vocabulary, 12 arrhythmatic, 14 comprehension, 10 similarities, 12.

PERFORMANCE SUB-TEST:

Picture completion,11, picture arrangement , 12 ,block design,10 , object assembly ,12, digit symbol, 11, verbal IQ is 107, performance IQ is 107,full scale IQ is 106. Overall patient is functioning with the average rage of general intellectual abilities. IQ 106 (65 percentile). Her comprehension skills are within the normal range as are right hemisphere perceptional organizational skill, performance skills was 107, (86 percentile). There are no significant differentials observed between left 106 and left 107.

The patient's highest scale scored is 90. Within the domain of oral arrhythmatic ability (91 percentile). High average scales are noted in the domain of numeric concentration, EG 7 digit forward and 6 digit backward (75 percentile). High average abilities are also noted in the general vocabulary of written knowledge, commonalities between object. Sequencing of skills and visual analytical skills for noble stimuli (75 percentile). Average skills are noted on measured visual and remote memory. Block construction skills and alertness for details in her environment comprehension skills (50-63 percentile). Patient's lowest scores are noted on general fond of information (25 percentile). Overall patient's intellectual skills are within average range if IQ 106.

On the Wexler and memory scale 1 (WMS-1). The patient demonstrated fine performance. Information, 5 orientation ,5 mental control,7 memory passage,7.5 digits total,13 visual reproduction,13 associate learning,19MQ,122.

DIAGNOSTIC IMPRESSION: Axis I. dysthymia. Axis II. Deferred. Axis IV. Asthma, chronic sinusitis, chronic bronchitis, chronic cough. Status post left mastectomy hysterectomy. Status post chemo therapy and Cobalt therapy right side sciatic pain.  Axis V. Moderate, Axis VI. Current fluid intelligence (Gf, 43)

TREATMENT PLAN AND RECOMMENDATION:

1. The patient is able to manage her own funds given that her oral arrhythmatic scores are within superior range (90 percentile).

2. The patient does have difficulties with self expression due to low voice volume, which would interfere with social interactions’ and communication and job placement. This makes her a poor candidate for returning for work and apparently is one of the reasons for her being fired.

3. Continue evaluation of her complex medical history and refer it to internal medicine.

4. Possible supportive therapy to health center for, underlying dysthymia decreased self confidence.

arrhythmatic is arithmetic and it is Wechsler not Wexler - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what your question was but I did find those two spelling errors for sure, and some place in there you had typed mastectomy hysterectomy (without a comma between then). You really need to proof and verify meanings and spellings... not being critical but that is what I did when I first started 20 years ago... that is the only way to learn it correctly. Good luck!

And "lossed her voice"... - Spooner

[ In Reply To ..]
is 'lost'. There are probably more but I didn't go through it that carefully. Proof, proof, proof! or is this an ASR job?

more - check this

[ In Reply To ..]
when using " the punctuation should go on the inside. That is something learned in high school English class.
even more - try this
[ In Reply To ..]
try typing "psychiatric medical report" into google and find sample reports.
try typing thing like the WAIS, revised WAIS and the different test headings in google and there are many websites that will explain it all, and show how it should be transcribed.

http://www.mtsamples.com/site/pages/sitemap.asp

There are several sample reports for psychiatric in the above website.

psych question - Tara

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (title caps) not Wexler. All three of these listed are separate tests and should just be typed in a list format. I was looking through the rest of the report and you need to definitely proofread before handing it in. A lot of the typos and/or misunderstood words of the report are just general transcription rules that need to be followed. If you need assistance or have questions regarding your mistakes, I would be happy to assist you as I have been doing psych work/testing for the last ten years.

Similar Messages:

I'm A MT Student Needing To Interview A MT For A Class Assignment
Sep 03, 2013

Hello, I am a new to medical transcription and currently enrolled in school for it. I am looking for someone who is working in the field. I would greatly appreciate anyone who would help me.  Please choose 10 questions for the interview and it can be posted here or emailed to me directly.  These are the questions: How did you get started in the field? Who was your first mentor and why? If you could go back to the beginning of your career and start over, what would you change? W ...

PSYCHIATRY CONSULTATION HELP
Nov 19, 2009

Because of the combination of illnesses and particularly because of left arm weakness and s/l ("front coordination") as well as memory impairments she fells she cannot return to work doing clerical duties. ...

Child Psychiatry
Feb 02, 2010

The 4-year-old child is being examined for inappropriate sexual contact.  She is noted to be having self ______ behaviors. s/l comenistrative ...

Psychiatry Consult
Apr 06, 2010

The word I'm having trouble with isn't a medical term, but I'd still greatly appreciate any alternatives anyone can offer.  The paragraph goes like this: This is a 44-year-old female, divorced 2 years, mother of 2 young adult children, currently living in an apartment by herself.  She spends her time shopping, cooking, and housekeeping.  She ("hates") visits with friends with whom she chats and shops with. I'm fairly certain the rest of the paragraph is corre ...

Psychiatry Word Help, Please - SM
Apr 18, 2012

The word I need help with sounds like "inchus."  Doctor dictates: "The patient's cortical plasticity with respect to synaptic pruning, and even now with (s/l inchus) and fractional anisotropy, have clearly reached the end of development." Thank you very, very much!! ...

References For Psychiatry
Apr 26, 2012

About to start doing psychiatry and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for good references and quick guides. ...

Psychiatry Consultation Report
Oct 12, 2009

working on a psychiatry consulation report and there are only a few headings dictated. "History of Present Illness", "Review of Past Medical Records", "Developmental Background", and "Diagnosis". Under "Review of Past Medical Records" there are several paragraphs dictated without headings and each one starts out with "Doctor (doctors name is cut off) diagnosed (or indicates) etc....., examples: Doctor diagnosed head injury, loss of consciousness, bilateral clavicle fractures, right scapula ...

Psychiatry Discharge Summary
Dec 17, 2009

Working on a psych discharge summary from Allied. Not sure if there is a heading such as Psychiatric Examination. Anyone knows of this particular discharge summary, please give me a heads up. Thank you ...

Word Help/ Psychiatry Account
Jun 11, 2013

He is slightly [s/l dyslarselic] which waxes and wanes while talking to him.   Cannot find reference for this word. It is a psychiatric account. ...

Medications "task To Assignment"
Jun 26, 2012

Dictator is talking about noncompliance with medications and changing patient to "task to assignment"??? thanks ...

Part-time Radiology/psychiatry IC Position
Sep 09, 2010

Just curious if anyone has applied to and heard back from this company, or if anyone is familiar with the person doing the recruiting? TIA!!! ...

Regarding Psychiatry, Patient Was Feeling Ill With A Current *couch*??*count* Score Of 13. Nm
May 15, 2013

. ...

Is "AXIS II" In Psychiatry Always Diagnosis Deferred?
Aug 10, 2010

Is "AXIS II" in psychiatry always Diagnosis Deferred? ...

"Floor 2" Disorder? Psychiatry...help, Please. TIA!
May 31, 2011

General checkup with pt complaining his meds were lost through an airline. Pt has a history of receiving pyschiatric therapy. "ASSESSMENT: 1. Sinus congestion. 2. "A Floor 2 disorder." 3. Narcotic abuse.   I really can't tell what she's saying...sounds like "A floor 2" or "left lower tube" disorder. Can anyone help??? I feel like this is one of those easy things that I'm just missing and not thinking of. Thank you! ...