A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help with numbers labs and vitals - Frustrated

Posted: Apr 18, 2013

Can anyone help with any tips on numbers? I work in speech recognition as most of us do now and I am having the hardest time with numbers. The account I am on has high ESL also, but even without that, I can't seem to get values correct 100% of the time to save my life. Examples are hearing a 0 instead of an 8 such as 130 instead of 138 or hearing a 2 instead do a 3 or even in platelets thinking I am hearing a value of 300,000 versus 200,000. If it is a profile that doesn't make sense I catch that and question it, but some of these that I think sound clear are wrong. I am not sure if it is the speech recognition coming in with the value that makes me think I hear it the way too? Does anyone have any tips or tricks they use or any ideas how I can fix this short of a new set of ears?

Which system do you work on - The only really good thing to do is go slower

[ In Reply To ..]
If you go pretty fast through most of the report without problem and it's just with the lab values that you have issues, slow down just for that and see if that helps.

Also, what system are you on? EScription and Dictaphone both have a setting where they skip past blank space. It's not perfect, though, and so sometimes it skips real words. If your system has something like that, undo it so you hear everything and see if that makes a difference.

Dictaphone - Slower has been tried too :(

[ In Reply To ..]
Researching headphones online now to see if that might help?!?

same problem - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you mean because I have the same problem at times, 15 and 50 can be so confusing. Even slowing it down I can hear 15 or 50 multiple times. I love the dictators who enuciate so clearly you can tell. It is very frustrating. I often want to ask my husband to listen to the audio and see what he hears (but of course I wouldn't do that). And of course those who audit will catch it right away. I'm not sure if higher quality earphones would help, but it could be something to consider.

Similar Messages:

Vitals
Jan 10, 2012

s/l "SBS" 02 of 98%. I can't find in Google or my books. ...

Mixed Number Vitals
Aug 04, 2010

I have a new doctor who gave his vital signs as follows: "90/72, 125, 18, 99.6, and 92%".  The first (bp) and last two (temp and pulse ox) are self explanatory.  I don't know what the 125 and 18 mean, though.  I'm sure this is one I'll kick myself over. Thanks in advance for your help. ...

This Doc Always Dictates Under Vitals--can't Ever Make Out
Mar 24, 2012

It's a terrible s/l but really is best I can do with how fast she dictates. Always, always, indistinguishable and run together this way. Vital Signs:  Blood pressure 168/102, pulse 95. Respiratory rate is 16, oxygen saturation 100% on room air, *s/l "wushterpizhil"*, and temperature is 98.4. ...

Labs....something
Nov 03, 2009

The doctor says: "Labs from the skilled nosary posability." I was thinking "skilled nursing facility" but there are too many syllables. Could anything else go in there to make it sound complete? Thanks! ...

Labs New To Me
Jun 06, 2010

Her laboratory studies show a sedimentation rate of 25, C-reactive protein of 2.9, and a positive s/l ANA  with a speckled pattern and a s/l tyler of 1 to 40. TIA   This is new to me, so I am very unsure. tia. ...

V-labs?
Jan 08, 2013

At the end of an EMG report, doc says something that sounds like "The V labs appear to be fairly normal."  Any clue what this might be? Thanks.   ...

With Regards To Labs On A Pt. With AIDS
Oct 14, 2009

LABORATORY DATA:  From August 2009 - HIV copies less than 48.  _______ (s/l the word "law") copies less than 1.68.    Any help appreciated. :) ...

How To Type UIU - In Labs
Nov 14, 2009

IU is on our dangerous abreviations list - Internation Units - wondering how to type uIU   thanks! ...

Regarding Labs - S/l NSDs - Thanks
Jan 26, 2010

same note with the Epstein-Barr virus the bllank sound slike - If "NSDs" do not elucidate We have elected to go ahead and repeat some blood work today, including another CBC, inflammatory markers, and serologies for EBV and CMV.  If _____ do not elucidate a cause, as long as his CBC and chemistries are normal, I think that viral etiology still is the likely explanation and would recommend ongoing observation at this point. ...

Help With Labs/ESL Dictator
Mar 01, 2010

This is what it sounds like. "His WBC 11.48, and his 12.4 and 37.0 PT/PTT were normal." It seems like "PT/PTT were normal." Should be a sentence on its own, but then I'm not sure what the 12.4 and 37.0 lab values would be for. Grr... Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

In Labs Section
Oct 07, 2010

Right after total bilirubin doc says what s/l t-time or t-timer 1446.   Thanks! ...

Labs? Edc Or Adc Or Idices..
Nov 12, 2011

doctor reads off investigations as: Glucose is 5.7.Sodium 132.Potassium 4.2.Urea 11.Creatinine 111. then says: ( ad .... pause .. s/l  ..  EDices are normal baseline ) anyone familiar with labs?   tia!!!! =)   ...

Labs; Differential
Aug 14, 2012

On lab data after the eos, lymphs, monos, myelos, and all that... He says "2 mettas", obviously an abbreviation.  Has anyone ever had to write this phonetically abbreviated?   Thanks!!! ...

Labs- Dish Level
Aug 10, 2011

CBC, ?dish level? and TSH. ...

Labs, Platelet Count, Pls S/m
Sep 29, 2011

I just got a note from QA for a hospital I transcribe for (didn't even know we had QA!) that I have been transcribing platelets incorrectly. D:  Hemoglobin 14, hematocrit 39, platelet count 200, WBC 2000,... etc., T:  Hemoglobin 14, hematocrit 39, platelet count 200, WBC 2000, Corrected:  T:  Hemoglobin 14, hematocrit 39, platelet count 200,000, WBC 2000... I've been transcribing this way for 15 years, will do whatever the account wants but I've looked ...

Need Help...Online Reference For Labs
Jun 03, 2012

I am in need of an online reference to search labs. I'm looking but not really sure what I'm finding is reliable. Anyone who has a reliable online source to look up labs I would greatly appreciate the assistance! ...

Dody Body? (Labs)
Jun 10, 2013

Difficult east Indian dictator: "Bands 0% and polymorphs 47%.   Dody body is positive. Patient with scattered pulmonary emboli, borderline CHF. Symptoms: cough productive of yellow sputum, shortness of breath. Also can bands be 0%?  Thanks.  ...

International Units Per Liter Or IU/L For Labs..sm
Feb 23, 2010

Some questions regarding this rule: for medications i know we shoud put in international units or just units but for labs, we can't put in IU/L? should it be internationa units per liter and for IU/mL, do we put in international units per mL or international units per milliliter?   Thanks. ...

Dictators Give The Labs With The Values First - Like 147 Sodium, 4.2 Potassium
Aug 18, 2011

Don't you hate it when dictators give the labs with the values first - like 147 sodium, 4.2 potassum, etc and then switch it part way through back to glucose 110 - that gets me so screwed up. ...

Good Source Of Labs For H&Ps That Are Grouped In Proper Groups
May 24, 2013

Does anyone have a good source of labs for H&Ps that are grouped in proper groups so I can quickly look and know when to put the period and start another group?  I'm looking for a quick reference sheet or something that I can refer to without having to go look up the things that I don't remember. I'm trying to learn them all but there are just so many that it's overwhelming at times.  I'd even take a Word document if you have created your own references.    ...

Numbers?
Jan 20, 2010

patient has a longstanding history of intravenous heroin abuse, a 300 dollars a day habit.  Is it $300 a day or three hundred dollars a day, or 300 dollars a day? ...

2 Numbers In A Row
Nov 22, 2011

I am typing a document and the doc states that the patient took 16 10-mg methadone tablets.  How would you guys write the 2 numbers in a row? ...

CCM And 800 Numbers
Jan 14, 2013

Has anyone noticed that CCMs don't have 800 numbers anymore?  They expect us to absorb the cost of a long distance call to talk to our boss.  What us up with that? ...

Does Everybody Keep A Log Of At Least Job Numbers?
Jan 25, 2013

I've been keeping a Notepad document running of all my job numbers in order to confirm Fiesa feedback (sometimes they get the wrong MT, had that happen 3 times so far, so you need to check that if a correction is not familiar to you) or whatever issues might come up. But occasionally I forget to even log a report, and I realized that I can double-check via Metrics as well as with my ID and date on Search Dictations, so why bother?  Just wondering if some don't bother with this and ...

Check Rheumatology Labs, Including Rheumatoid Factor, Anti-CCP
Sep 08, 2010

This patient could possibly have gout, fibromyalgia, OA, RA, psoriasis...among other possibilities.  "Check rheumatology labs, including rheumatoid factor, anti-CCP, ANA, sed rate, CRP, CMP, CBC, Lyme.  The patient had a s/l 'dipsticks all the time.'  Check an ACE."  The doctor did pause after "had a" so that may not be part of the sentence.  In that case, it sounds kind of like, "The patient gets sticks all the time."  I'm not sure if either makes sense.  She does mention ...

Hyphens In Numbers
Oct 16, 2009

Hi, I have been gigged for this no matter how I do it...I had one QA person that said it should be written   1- x 2-cm and the other one said it should be 1 x 2-cm (which I prefer)..Any experts out there? Thanks ...

Numbers And Meds
Feb 04, 2010

I know we should type the sentence below as: Advair 250/50 1 puff twice a day but to me, that looks like it could be confusing when the dosage and amount of med are so close together.  I know we're not supposed to do it like this but this is what I type instead: Advair 250/50 one puff twice a day. Am I committing a horrible crime here?      ...

Typing Numbers
Dec 10, 2010

How do you type times one week?  (x 1 week or x one week) Please help. ...

I Think The Numbers Speak For Themselves. Sm
Apr 07, 2011

I just put some things together that are enlightening.  MQ/Spheris has 12,000 MT's in the U.S., not counting those overseas.  Transcend has 5,000 MT's in the U.S. and another 1500 in India.  Webmedx has 1200 MT's.  KeyStrokes has 600 MT's.  TT has 200 MT's.  Softscript has 200 MTs.  NEMT has 200 MT's.  Transolutions, or whatever they are called now, has 300 MT's.  Medware, again not sure what their new name is, has 3 ...

Do The Productivity Numbers Really Add Up?
Apr 13, 2011

My actual ASR lph and what they say I could do if there wasn't any "inactive" time is usually almost double. I have no idea how I can humanly close that gap. And yes, I am not using the dreaded mouse. I put my nose to the grind stone with absolutely no inactivity due to doing anything other than edit, and yet, I still come up with the lph they report I am doing rather than what they think I should be able to do without any inactivity. Interesting that this time they had a mouse click re ...