A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I think the numbers speak for themselves. sm - Just Sayin

Posted: Apr 07, 2011

I just put some things together that are enlightening.  MQ/Spheris has 12,000 MT's in the U.S., not counting those overseas.  Transcend has 5,000 MT's in the U.S. and another 1500 in India.  Webmedx has 1200 MT's.  KeyStrokes has 600 MT's.  TT has 200 MT's.  Softscript has 200 MTs.  NEMT has 200 MT's.  Transolutions, or whatever they are called now, has 300 MT's.  Medware, again not sure what their new name is, has 300 MT's.  That totals 21,700 MT's in the U.S., just with 9 companies.  There are probably at least that working at the smaller companies.   So, let's go with 40,000 for a round number.  OBVIOUSLY SOME MUST BE VERY HAPPY OR THESE COMPANIES WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS! 

This website has gone from being very helpful and a great resource to being a joke with both the over-the-top negative people and the over-the-top positve people.  How about all the MT's who are just happy?  If all those companies, or even one of those companies, was as bad as they are made out to be, they would not be in business.

Just sayin'

LOL! So there are NO UNHAPPY EMPLOYEES anywhere?! - Realist

[ In Reply To ..]
So, just because someone has a job then they must LOVE it, right!? You have never heard of miserable people staying in a job they hate because they have children depending upon them, car notes to pay, a house note, etc.?

ESPECIALLY in this crappy economy most people will take WHATEVER THEY CAN GET. I know that I am doing that even though in the past I could afford to be VERY choosy.

You really need to get out more.

SoftScript has way more than 200 MTs. nm - Justme

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Your "logic" is a little scary... - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously did you read your post before you clicked 'submit'?

Was your main intent to complain about the types of posts now versus 'before' ?

Beg to differ but Transolutions has way, way LESS than 300 MTs - TSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Back in the day they had that many but as far as I know for the past years they have had half that figure or less. Don't know where you got that figure from but I definitely know it is very incorrect.

doubt it is an up-to-date analysis, but no info was given so movin' on. - pishposh

[ In Reply To ..]

JustSain' Who Are You? Data input? - ATT

[ In Reply To ..]
Common sense sometimes has to be involved in statistics, no? Where did these numbers come from? Then to make a loose statement that people must be happy?? Does that mean that all the unemployed people are happy too? Since you are a sensus bureau, then how many transcriptionsists have quit these services in the past say 1 year, and let's see the turnover too and how many have quit in 1 week and how many in 1 day--to be fair in your loose assumption of your "happiness" assessment. There are how many people in the Middle East and there are people in Cuba and communist countries, does that mean they are happy too? Good thing we have the freedom to disagree and look at things differently and some people USE criticism to make things better for others. Sharing our livelihood disappointments on this website is albeit somewhat healthy. Everyone gave a lot to this profession and just expect a 'comfortable' living and existence. The truth about the job is what it is for a lot of people and we need to know we are not alone. We work and to support or families. Some of us have done this job for years and it is very hard to start over, and espespecially now. Doesn't mean that we love what has happened to transcription just because we put up with something we cannot control. Glad you have the time to collect unfounded statistics and still can get a 2000 linecount a day with 98% error rate and for 4 cents a line!! Who wouldn't be happy in America with all that????

I am an active MT on that list, doesn't necessarily mean I'm 'happy.' - willworkforfood NM

[ In Reply To ..]

MQ does not have 12,000 US MTs - crazy talk

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe back in 1999, but not now!

If we have 2000 MTs in the US, I would be shocked. The rest are in India!

Your MQ figures are so way off it's funny! I suppose you think - you have all correct figures here?

[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously, companies are retaining enough MTs to continue business. That does not mean they are happy nor satisfied nor on a constant merry-go-round of incoming/outgoing. It just means they are maintaining enough MTs.

Not every company is for every MT and vice versa. However, the industry, as a whole, is in such a decline for the MT it is shocking.

Just sayin' back at ya.

I agree - the number of employees a company has does... - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
not reflect the "degree of happiness" of its employees. There are many things not taken into consideration:

1. MQ is a newbie company. They may indeed have 10,000 employees but they chew up & spit out a new crop of transcriptionists in 3 months or less. Many of these new graduates will never touch another keyboard after the Q (my daughter sure won't.) So while all the graduates who started an MT program in college 2 or 3 years ago may get a job, it's hard to say how many will stay. It is significant that many colleges are now dropping their MT programs.

2. Many of the newbies coming in to the profession will move on from their starter company and apply at others. They will move around as they gain more experience trying to find a company that will pay them more than minimum wage (thus creating the revolving door mentioned in the post above). However, many will again leave the market for better prospects.

3. Many mid-level MTs, those who have invested years in the business, work more than 1 job to make ends meet. This artificially boosts the number of employees in the example. Having to work 2 jobs is not an indication of happiness, and again, you will now have mid-level MT exploring options for further education or better employement opportunities leaveing the field.

4. Those MTs who are ready to retire are hanging on until their magic day electing to deal with the industry downturn. This goes without saying, but then again you have more MTs leaving the industry. Again, nothing to do with happiness factor.

5. The number of employees at any given company does not equal MTs. There are lots of people at these companies with bloated salaries and 9 to 5 jobs who are happy as heck, just not necessarily MTs. However, with the mass exodus from the MT field that is coming, these people will also have to leave and seek new work.

I just see an industry in decline.

Millions of people work in sweat shops. - Happy Happy

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

SPEAK UP
May 19, 2015

This one particular account I absolutely despise.  The dictators whisper.  Even with the volume turned all the way UP, it is a struggle to hear them.  Have reported this too many to count times with nothing being changed.  What a bunch of garbage.  This job just keeps on giving. ...

Anyone Else Been Set Adrift So To Speak? - Sm
Jun 14, 2010

It all started approximately a month ago with a note from CCM saying she was going on vacation.  Not a word from her since then. Letter from corporate saying I had a new CCM.  Wrote that person and got a reply that she would like to help me but I wasn't hers! Been well over two weeks since any word from QATL. I was on lockdown, now I'm not. I'm still on the same old accounts for the most part, with the same old CCM listed, but nobody seems to know it.  LOL Anyo ...

Speak Write
Jul 30, 2010

Has anyone heard of or worked for Speak Write? ...

Is It Too Much To Ask For The Docs To SPEAK UP
Nov 03, 2012

How can we edit/transcribe if the volume is highest on the computer, ear phone amplifiers are on, and we STILL CANNOT HEAR!  If it comes straight typing and ASR cannot pick it up, why in heaven's earth does the doctor think I CAN HEAR. I cannot!  Are these docs being passive aggressive... Oh they don't realize?!  That is just MEAN, CRUEL.  Forget that I have to make a living wage, but think about just plain RESPECT.   This vent brought to you by me getting too ...

Can't Speak Properly
Aug 22, 2014

There are a couple of dictators whose grammar, pronunciation, and enunciation is so poor, you wonder if they actually need a translator in order to speak to their English-speaking patients. A translator that can translate poor English. That translator would be bilingual, that is, English-speaking and poor-English-speaking. Yes, it seems "poor English" is also a language of its own that only those who speak it can understand. ...

Learn To Uh Uh Speak Uh Would You Uh Uh
Sep 04, 2014

uh it's uh hard to type uh uh when uh you uh speak with uh uh all the pauses uh uh JERK. ...

My Gosh Speak Up!!!
Apr 07, 2015

The low volume of the dictations even on 100% is driving me nuts!  I shouldn't have to strain to hear what you are saying. ...

What Is Your Favorite Example Of Corporate-speak
Sep 20, 2012

; ) ...

I Get Dinged Because A Doctor Can't Speak
May 21, 2013

I mean seriously this catering to their stupidy is starting to get old. Granted they aren't major errors. But, my theory is if they cannot give me the courtesy of even remotely completing a sentence, much less a paragraph here lately, I am sending it through. I know I can look at the repository and figure most of the stuff out, but that is a guess at best and not a chance I am willing to take with patient care. Sick of it!!! Unfortunately, my main offenders are 100% QA accounts so QA f ...

The Dictators Who Speak The Lowest
Mar 30, 2015

dictate in the noisiest areas. ...

What If Doctor Doesn't Speak English??
Mar 09, 2010

I'm trying to get an answer from my CCM regarding foreign doctor's dictation and this 5% QA submission. I type for two separate teaching hospitals and are constantly getting new foreign doctors, 3/4s of which cannot even speak English. I won't matter if I got copies of every single report they dictate, there would be no way not to send these reports to QA....are we getting any kind of special consideration towards our QA submissions for these doctors? My CCM I don't think has ...

Editing Of Dragon Speak Reports
Apr 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me if there is some sort of formula for pricing out the finall editing of a DragonSpeak report?  I am assuming that it would be much less than if it were priced for typing the entire file. thanks, bill ...

I Am So Sick Of Foreigners Who Can't Speak English!
Feb 14, 2011

They expect us to understand their Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic, Indian, Filipino, Hispanic accents when they can't even put a simple English sentence together!  The hospitalists are the worst.  I think they hire them right off the boat from their overseas countries and put them to work in the hospitals-- probably as cheap as they can get them, and then put them on VR.  My MTSO increased their line requirements for this year and with over 30 years' experience, I struggle ...

Please!!!! Can You Idiots Learn To Speak The Language???
Apr 14, 2015

How is it that they expect such a high level of skill but want to pay us as unskilled labor?  I am so ticked listening to this one foreign idiot - I am typing it just like she says it!  I dare them to confront me about it?  You want it cleaned up - pay for it!!!  You want it to sound intelligent?  Pay me more than a high school student! ...

Indian Dictators - They Can Barely Speak English
Jul 21, 2012

About half of the dictators from my new account are Indian, most of them mumblers, so I'm going crazy.  They can barely speak English.  Wondering why there are so many Indian dictators here?  ...

Just Noticed An Ad For Dragon Speak On This Site = FAIL! Or Am I Being Too Sensitive?
Nov 27, 2012

nm ...

Numbers?
Jan 20, 2010

patient has a longstanding history of intravenous heroin abuse, a 300 dollars a day habit.  Is it $300 a day or three hundred dollars a day, or 300 dollars a day? ...

2 Numbers In A Row
Nov 22, 2011

I am typing a document and the doc states that the patient took 16 10-mg methadone tablets.  How would you guys write the 2 numbers in a row? ...

CCM And 800 Numbers
Jan 14, 2013

Has anyone noticed that CCMs don't have 800 numbers anymore?  They expect us to absorb the cost of a long distance call to talk to our boss.  What us up with that? ...

Does Everybody Keep A Log Of At Least Job Numbers?
Jan 25, 2013

I've been keeping a Notepad document running of all my job numbers in order to confirm Fiesa feedback (sometimes they get the wrong MT, had that happen 3 times so far, so you need to check that if a correction is not familiar to you) or whatever issues might come up. But occasionally I forget to even log a report, and I realized that I can double-check via Metrics as well as with my ID and date on Search Dictations, so why bother?  Just wondering if some don't bother with this and ...

Hyphens In Numbers
Oct 16, 2009

Hi, I have been gigged for this no matter how I do it...I had one QA person that said it should be written   1- x 2-cm and the other one said it should be 1 x 2-cm (which I prefer)..Any experts out there? Thanks ...

Numbers And Meds
Feb 04, 2010

I know we should type the sentence below as: Advair 250/50 1 puff twice a day but to me, that looks like it could be confusing when the dosage and amount of med are so close together.  I know we're not supposed to do it like this but this is what I type instead: Advair 250/50 one puff twice a day. Am I committing a horrible crime here?      ...

Typing Numbers
Dec 10, 2010

How do you type times one week?  (x 1 week or x one week) Please help. ...

Do The Productivity Numbers Really Add Up?
Apr 13, 2011

My actual ASR lph and what they say I could do if there wasn't any "inactive" time is usually almost double. I have no idea how I can humanly close that gap. And yes, I am not using the dreaded mouse. I put my nose to the grind stone with absolutely no inactivity due to doing anything other than edit, and yet, I still come up with the lph they report I am doing rather than what they think I should be able to do without any inactivity. Interesting that this time they had a mouse click re ...

Are Numbers Under 10 Still Spelled Out With The BOS 3 Now?
Jul 18, 2011

Are numbers under 10 still spelled out with the BOS 3 now?  Thanks! ...

Ortho Numbers
Aug 16, 2011

I'm on a new ortho account. He states: Contusion of the right elbow clinically improving IC9719.42/812.0 plus 923.9. I have no idea what these numbers are for. Are they for the coders and if so does anyone know the right formattting for them? I transcribed just as he said. Any help is appreciated! ...

Numbers Or Spell It Out?
Apr 04, 2012

Never get any help here. Never mind. ...

ROMANS OR NUMBERS????
Apr 03, 2013

can anyone give me a clear understanding on what is to be typed in romans or numbers as far as Class, Types, Grades and levels?? Do different work types, i.e., use different ways, such as orthopedics? ...

Why Is ASR Spelling Out All Numbers
May 19, 2014

Last time I was notified numbers were allowed at the beginning of sentences anyway. Really getting to be a PIA.. ...

Looking At The Grid, The Numbers Appear To Only
Dec 03, 2014

take into account working 8 hours per day. What happens to part-time people? How will that be figured. Yesterday my C-LPH would have been between 150 and 170, but my total line count for the day was not between 1200 and 1360. How is that gonna work? Anybody got any clues? ...