A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do they sell these VR programs?? - poorhouse

Posted: Dec 18, 2013

I'm assuming the software vendors talk the clients into how much they'll save by paying editors to fix this crap.  There is no way someone would buy into this software if they knew what it really looked like in draft form...omg.  It would not surprise me if the software vendor slipped a few Benjamins under the table to a willing doc at the facility and had him "train" the software before the presentation to the client.  The doc goes in, reads from a script, and near perfection pops out on the screen.  All I ever see is a screen full of unbelievable crap and that's with a decent dictator! 

I've been working with VR now for about 4 years and I have yet to see any platform ever "learn" a damn thing.

It CAN learn - But...

[ In Reply To ..]
It can't learn the way it's done at the MTSOs. You don't just put a 300-bed hospital on a system. Each doc needs to be trained, then all MTs have to be on the same page with corrections, etc., and we know that just doesn't happen.

In terms of clinic, many doctors do use it on their own (no MT or MTSO)quite successfully. They just edit as they go.

I know someone who sells it. I don't think he goes out and recruits, word just gets around--or a potential client punches in a Google. The person I know who sells it is extremely honest and quite forthright about what the machine can and can't do. He trains the doc to see if he's a candidate, and if the doc isn't, he won't sell it to him.

Don't blame the VR, blame the MTSOs for thinking it can do somethning it can't.

Difference between front end and back end SR - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not seeing the type of SR systems sold directly to the facility. You are seeing regular dictation done by doctors who do not know that SR is being used. Your MTSO runs it through a SR engine at your end, then gives it to you to correct and "train" the software. Your work is being used to eliminate the need for you.

That is a back end system. It does not get better because the doctors have no idea what goes on and because there are thousands of doctors voices to which the system is NOT individually trained and hundreds of MTs all providing conflicting training.

There is no one slipping doctors money to sell the system. Doctors' opinions do not buy the dictation service and the facility never knows that SR is being used, nor do they care.

Front end SR is different. The transcript is produced as the doctor speaks, directly into the patient record, so no MT is ever involved. The system is trained to each dictator individually. He corrects it on the spot. It learns. The doctors also get templates and the EHR is able to import headings, drugs, labs, orders, procedures, names, demographics, and much more, eliminating concerns about errors on those things. Nobody cares about trivial errors like punctuation any more than they cared about them in handwritten documentation.

Facilities and a lot of doctors really like front end, so the moral of the story is to avoid deluding yourself that "SR" is not a threat because it doesn't work. What you think doesn't work is not the front end system facilities buy; it is the back end system that is being used as a bridge until a facility's EHR and front end systems are in place.

No, I don't sell it. I just work with an EHR that already has it. No MTs. At all.

A really good plan on your part would be to change careers as quickly as you can.

Similar Messages:

Which Company Do You Think Will Sell Or Buy Another Next? S M
Mar 06, 2011

I'm just curious what everyone thinks.  If you had asked last year, I would never have guessed MDI-MD or DTS would sell to Transcend, Spheris would go bankrupt and be bought by MQ or Transcend and Zylomed would both sell to a Canadian company.  Oh, I forgot OSI being bought by Nuance.  Who's left?  Keystrokes?  Webmedx?  Precyse?  Softscript?  Futurenet? Does anyone know who the biggest services are now?  Here's what I know: 1.  ...

Goodbye DTS...sorry To See You Sell Out.
Jun 30, 2011

I dread this change to Transcend and doubt very highly it will work out at all for me. Good luck to all the MTs. ...

Did All Type Really Sell To MQ?
Aug 24, 2011

I never thought I would see this.  How many companies are going to be here in a year? I know that MQ has bought at least 3 this year, Nuance has bought at least 4, Transcend has bought at least 4, Accentus bought 2 and Keystrokes bought 3 or 4.  Any I'm missing?  Are they all going to buy all the smaller companies or will they start merging with each other.  What's next?  Inquiring minds want to know! ...

Nothing About OTI Lately. Did They Sell? Did Everyone Quit?! OR...
Mar 16, 2013

Or is there finally some work? ...

Pay For VR Editing ... DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT
Apr 10, 2010

I haven't visited MT Stars in quite a while, but I noticed tonight some postings asking whether $10 or $11 per hour for editing VR transcription is reasonable. NO!  IT IS NOT REASONABLE!  Any seasoned, experienced medical transcriptionist who lowers themselves to edit for half of what they should be making as MTs is insane.  We are destroying our own profession by not standing up for ourselves, our expertise, our experience, our professionalism.  Not me.  I'll ...

Recently Given A 2011 PDR, Keep/sell??
Feb 28, 2012

The doc I work for gave me his 2011 Physicians Desk Reference.  Is that something that would be good refereance material for an MT??? ...

Do Not Sell Yourselves Short!! There Is A World Without VR.
Nov 29, 2012

So many of us have been "gobbled" up by Nuance in the last few years. So many of us are transcriptionists with specialized, honed skills, and those skills are valuable. Do not be deceived by a company who devalues your worth and causes self-doubt and continues to tout itself as the leader in the industry. I believe there are many facilities, doctors, clinics, etc, who do not want their work run through a computer to be deciphered. It may be time-consuming and seem like a fruitful task, but if yo ...

Still Think OTI Isn't Going To Sell Out? Not After Some Of The Recent Events.
Feb 05, 2013

d ...

Where To Sell Transcription Books?
Nov 19, 2013

Hi all, I recently left Andrews School, I wasn't able to succeed in the course.  I have the books and materials still from the course. What's the best way to go about selling it? Should I use ebay? Or would it be better to find a bookstore locally that buys them? How would I go about finding that? Any help is appreciated thanks,   - Ave ...

Does Nuance Have Any VA Contracts Or Do They Just Sell Them
Nov 13, 2014

IF they have any contracts, we will be due the new federal minimum wage of 10.10 per hour when that goes into effect. Sadly, I think it is more likely that Nuance will shuck those contracts, if they have them, to avoid this. Anyone know anything about Nuance and VA contracts?   ...

CPC Certification Study Guide - Anyone Want To Sell One To Me?
Jul 17, 2013

I would like to buy a copy of this book if anyone could sell me one for a good price?  I can pay through your paypal account.  I have seen some on Amazon but they are expensive and I am hoping to find a better deal.  I don't care what kind of condition it is in, written in, whatever. Thanks :) CPC Certification Study Guide (Paperback) by American Academy of Professional Coders (Author), et al.  ...

Latest Hospital To Sell Out To Nuance
Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health ...

How The Heck Does A Company Sell For 1.1 Billion Dollars But Can't Pay Its Employees More???nm
Jul 06, 2012

x ...

Check Out Post On Main Board, "Latest Hospital To Sell Out
Nov 07, 2014

...conspiracy theorists on this one! Ha!   ...

FTP Programs
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know what this is?  Or what FTP stands for? ...

Who Programs The ASR?
Nov 16, 2009

Okay, I want to know who programs the ASR.  I'm told that we do, but anytime I make a ligit change, it doesn't stick.  Yet, all of a sudden, on an account I have been typing on for 3 years, ASR starts changing the word stroke to a backslash (/) and this is for every instance.  If this is something our lovely ILPs are doing, I don't think they are going to last long.  If this is something our new USMTs are doing, it's no wonder our work is being shippe ...

VR Programs
Oct 08, 2012

I would appreciate some feedback on VR programs.  Are you currently working on one you you would recommend?  If so, which one and why?  Also, are you working on one you would not recommend.  If so, which one and why?  I would greatly appreciate this information, as we are just beginning to explore the possibility of going to a VR program and this information would be of great value to us in choosing a program that is transcriptionist friendly.  ...

Programs For A MAC
Dec 28, 2012

Hello.  A friend is a psychiatrist and just got a Mac.  What voice recognition software works well with Macs? ...

Right Middle Lobe Infiltrate With Some Moderately Malodorous S/l "ax Or Ex-sell-ation",
Aug 04, 2011

might need to rule out foreign body.  ...

Shorthand Programs
Nov 25, 2009

I would like to know a little more about the shorthand programs and which one is best to use? Thank you in advance. ...

Cumbersome EMR And VR Programs
Feb 24, 2010

I just spoke with an MT at a large radiology group who says they use different softwares for different studies. So they have probably 5 different programs to try to merge into one cohesive patient record. So if they have an MRI and a mammogram (two different software programs), she spends her day putting them together. Not only that, but before they implemented these cumbersome programs, they had 2 IT people to run the IT show. Now they have 7 all of these different engines running. They got rid ...

MT Training Programs
May 08, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good online training program for Medical Transcription? ...

Mentoring Programs
Apr 21, 2011

Hi.  I finished MT school at Oak Horizons in November/December of 2010.  I also did an intership for a company and after I finished they told me I needed to get a job in a small clinic so I would have someone working with me.  In my small town there is not any small clinics or any surrounding towns that I know of.  I wanted to ask all of you about any Mentoring Programs?  The only one I have looked into was AIM and some of the feed back I have read was good for the mento ...

Internship Programs
Apr 27, 2011

I am almost finished with my MT course but feel I need more training.  I have heard about internship programs, specifically AIM mentoring program (Houck Transcription) and  Online Transcription Essentials Internship program, both had enrollment fees that aren't too bad.  What their advertising and what I am questiioning is it true that they do hire their interns after the program ends?   ...

Software Programs
Jul 25, 2011

I've worked for 3 different MTSOs. each bought out by another. I was never aware of the type of software programs used by these companies as the work platforms were "proprietary." I'm currently looking for part-time work and notice that most all job applications are asking for the name of or type of software programs used. How do I find out this information? As an example, Webmedx used Enterprise, but I have no idea what software program was used to create this platform. How do I ...

Incentive Programs
Feb 05, 2013

Do most companies offer some type of incentive program on top of regular CPL or is that few and far between? Thanks. ...

Does Anybody Know If The Nuance Programs Are
May 29, 2014

compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1? TIA. ...

Programs Out There To Do The Proofreading For You
Jun 02, 2014

I have a doc I do IC for who thinks there are programs out there to do the proofreading for you.  Considering what he pays for what I am expected to do I wish he was right, but I have never heard of such a thing.  Anyone out there have any idea? ...

Inquiry On Training Programs - Which One?!
Jan 16, 2010

Helllo - I am considering a career transition to MT, and presently researching AHDI-approved MT programs. I've heard lots of great things about Andrews School; does anyone know anything about, or have taken, the program through TRSi? This is the other one that I was considering. Thanks for your help! D. ...

Voice File Programs
Jul 23, 2010

Is there a program out there that I can purchase other than Express Scribe that would make it easier for me to adjust things on so that I can hear the file a little better? Thank you ...