A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I want a new computer lap top or desktop - broke MT

Posted: Dec 27, 2009

any opinions?  I know lap tops monitors are small but......might like the portability of working somewhere else beside the h***l hole of my office.

Know of someone who does off-lease computers for really great prices - Safire

[ In Reply To ..]
If you would be interested in finding out what he has please send me an email and I will give you his information. He has desktop PCs and laptops. He gets corporate computers that had been leased. He's fair in his prices (and flat out cheap on some of them) and he can usually get a computer with close specs if not dead on to what you are wanting. He does not install Vista either so that is a definite plus for our jobs!

VERY MT budget friendly!

Intersted - Karmafit

[ In Reply To ..]
I cant find your email address, very interested....

New computer laptop - Sherry T

[ In Reply To ..]
I just recently purchased a 17-inch Dell Inspiron laptop. I love it. It also includes a 10-key keypad on the keyboard. I purchased it for under 1000 and it is maxed out.

Laptop docking station - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
You could do something like a docking station for the lap top, where you have it on the desk and use a full size monitor, but then can take it with you fairly easily.

I've used Dell computers for years and have been quite pleased with them. Stay away from the slim line versions, though. They don't stay cool as well and burn out faster. Learned that one the hard way.

You might also look in your neck of the woods and talk to an independent computer repair store. Many times they will also have a department that will build computers for really reasonable prices.

Laptop i would say - Oswald

[ In Reply To ..]
My reasons are same as yours portability is number 1.then you have a backup battery making it last couple of hours with out power.

And its so easy and convenient to work on.

lap top - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
Small screen is no problem. You can always buy a larger one and plug it in or use your current screen plugged into the lap top.

Similar Messages:

I Have A Shorthand Icon On My MModal Provided Computer Desktop...
Apr 01, 2013

It says it is a trail version though.  Did everyone pay for their own word expander or did MModal provide it?  I'm wondering why they put Shorthand on desktop and then we have to pay for it.  ...

Does Anyone Know What Key To Go To Desktop
Aug 26, 2012

. ...

Laptop Or Desktop
Dec 31, 2009

I am considering getting a new computer in the next few months.   Trying to decide between laptop and desktop?  Can you really make speed on the laptop keyboard?  Opinions?  TIA ...

Laptop Or Desktop?
Nov 16, 2010

Is it better to do MT on a laptop or a desktop? ...

How Do You Dispose Of Your Old Desktop Pc?
Dec 28, 2010

I dont want to donate it, just dont feel comfortable doing that even though they say they wipe it clean.  I thought I would follow a YouTube video to see how to remove the hard drive and then break up the rest. Is that silly? What do you do? ...

Need To Buy A New 32-bit Windows 7 Desktop
Apr 18, 2011

I can get the from Dell and Ebay. Does anyone know any brick and mortar stores that would sell computers with 32-bit Windows 7? I tried Staples, Office Max, and Office Depot, and they don't sell them. ...

Desktop Versus Laptop
May 16, 2010

My question is desktop or laptop?  I see advantages both ways.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA! ...

Laptop Versus Desktop?
Jun 16, 2010

I was wondering how many transcriptionists have started using a laptop instead of a true desktop for work?  And by using a laptop, what I mean is hooking up a true mouse and keyboard.  I am debating this and need to make a decision soon... Thanks! ...

Is There A Way To Copy My Shorthand From My Desktop To My Laptop?
Jan 21, 2010

TIA ...

How To Link Instant Text From One Desktop To Another? 
Oct 22, 2011

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew how to link Instant Text from one desktop to another?  I have it on my original desktop, but am now working off another server's desktop and cannot figure out to link it, using Meditech.  Thank you!! ...

Working On A Desktop Vs. Laptop....opinions?
Sep 05, 2014

Looking for opinions on whether you all work on a desktop or laptop and the pros/cons on each one? ...

Desktop Icon & Internet Explorer Problems
Dec 30, 2011

Have any of you had this problem? (1)  Most days, when I first start my PC, the desktop icons won't appear.  I'll get the background screensaver picture, but nothing to click on.  Is there a certain combination of keys you can hit to make the icons appear?  Or to open Explorer?  Currently the only way I can deal with this is to shut down the PC and then restart it.  Sometimes it takes as many as 4 or 5 tries before the icons will finally appear. (2)&nb ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Need New Computer
Dec 26, 2009

I need a new computer however I need to have XP for EXText.  Wondering which way I should go--- Dual boot or have 2 separate hard drives, one for XP and the other for Windows 7 Professional?  Any advice? ...

Mq Computer
May 10, 2010

I leave my computer up and running all the time.  In the past week every morning I am having to reboot because I get an error saying "insufficient system resources to perform this action."  As soon as it finally reboots, then everything is fine, I can log onto DQS and type all day with no problems.  Then it sits again all night, and the same thing happens the next morning. Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Tech support has already increased the virtual memory capa ...

How Many Of You Use Your MQ Computer...
May 17, 2010

for other things besides work such as another job, internet shopping, banking, facebook, etc.? ...

Help - New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

I got a new computer today and when my first job comes up the ADT info is at the top of the page.  Can you tell me how to get it off.  Also how to I make the print on my screen larger?  TIA ...

Computer Age VS 6.1
Sep 10, 2010

I was just wondering how old some computers are that are having problems with 6.1 and if there are people with newer computers that handles it better.  Mine is a MQ computer that is 4 years old now and it bogs down quite a bit.  Everything is sluggish now.  I do have 1 GB of ram and 1.84 GHz, so 6.1 shouldn't take a toll on it as bad as it is.  I'm just wondering if I should ask the Q for an upgrade, if that is the problem.  Knowing the RAM and proces ...

Help MQ Computer
Sep 16, 2010

Need help! I don't use an MQ computer, since they don't want you to put anything personal on it, and most of my life, including banking, is on my computer.   My 4-year-old computer crashed and is in the shop for a couple days, and I decided maybe it's time to get a new one.  The problem is, DQS requires a 32-bit system, and so far all the new computers I've found are all Windows 7, which is 64 bits.   I also want to get a slimline, since it kills my ...

Is It Just My Computer?
Sep 20, 2010

I turned off the "check as you go" spelling feature to get rid of that distracting wiggly red line.  When I upload a document, and a mis-spelling is picked up, what's with all the lame suggestions.  I mean either there just aren't any suggestions at all for a simple mis-spelled word with a single wrong letter, or just a simple word.  What happened to the old Q dictionary?  It seems every 5 years their dictionary gets worse.  When I started 10 years ag ...

Using MQ Computer
Dec 01, 2010

I am looking at quitting MQ, and I'm using their computer...do you think they'll let me buy the computer from them????  I can't imagine it's cheap to mail it back to them, and will need a computer for my new job. ...

Computer Needs
Jun 06, 2011

Does anyone use a Mac for medical transcription with Windows XP and MT software that requires nothing newer than XP?  Also any experience with Windows XP and Medrite XL on a newer computer using Windows 7 and virtual xp?  Needing advice before replacing my old computer, which I'm afraid might give out.   I would just load XP but supposedly will be transferring to software compatible with Windows 7 sometime in the future.   Any ideas appreciated.    ...

Lap Top Computer
Oct 03, 2011

Does anyone transcribe on a laptop computer and take your work with you when you travel? ...

New Computer From Q
Oct 20, 2011

came by FedEx today.  Had no idea they were sending this.  I quit or decided not to go with them from AT yesterday.  Would think they would let me know they were sending a new computer.  What a joke, glad I am not staying.  Think they got so big they have no idea what's going on. ...

Need A New Computer
Nov 12, 2011

is there any kind of computer i should NOT consider getting to work for medquist?  i think i heard they aren't compatible with MACs, but as far as PCs go....does Windows 7 work?  Vista?  XP?  all of the above?   just want to know what to avoid. thanks!       ...

Got New MQ Computer And
Nov 20, 2011

How do I change the color on DocQscribe from that blinding bright background to nice soft gray? I have no clue how on this machine and my eyes get too sore with the white. Also, how do I turn off all sounds, if anyone knows.   Thanks in advance. ...

New MQ Computer
Nov 21, 2011

Got my new computer. Got my flash drive. Want to transfer my favorites, my documents to the new computer.  I got the favorites transferred, but can't get the documents. Went to My Documents, Properties, Move to, but according to some instructions I read, it's supposed to ask you are you sure you want to move? or something like that. I never got that question and can't get them moved. Really technically challenged. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I really need so ...

When I Buy A New Computer, Which Should I Be
Dec 05, 2011

Right now I'm working from a 32-bit.  Which do most transcription platforms support?  ...