A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Desktop icon & Internet Explorer problems - Confuzzled

Posted: Dec 30, 2011

Have any of you had this problem?

(1)  Most days, when I first start my PC, the desktop icons won't appear.  I'll get the background screensaver picture, but nothing to click on. 

Is there a certain combination of keys you can hit to make the icons appear?  Or to open Explorer? 

Currently the only way I can deal with this is to shut down the PC and then restart it.  Sometimes it takes as many as 4 or 5 tries before the icons will finally appear.

(2)  I've been having lots of problems with Internet Explorer.  Even when the icons finally do appear, it's a real be-otch trying to get IE to open.  That takes multiple tries, as well.  Other little hangups  using it, or my email, and other features throughout the day, make me wonder if the my IE program has become corrupt.  If so ----

Do you think I could uninstall IE from my PC, and then reinstall it, without losing anything important from my PC?  I would love to just buy a new PC, but unfortunately that's way beyond my financial reach, at this point in time.

it sounds like the issue is Windows - and not IE

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you try to do a system restore? I would back up your important files too as it sounds like your computer is on its last life. =(

I can help - itpro0115

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you have a virus. I would try to run a virus scan you the system. Most people use Malwarebytes which is a good one, you can also use Super Anti Spyware which is what I use when providing support for my MT's at work. Below I have posted the link for you to copy paste into your browser.

http://www.superantispyware.com/sasportable.php

THIS WILL NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ON THE PC!!! This runs a temp program on the PC that scans and upon reboot everything is removed.

If you need help let me know you can send me an email if you would like.

Similar Messages:

I Have A Shorthand Icon On My MModal Provided Computer Desktop...
Apr 01, 2013

It says it is a trail version though.  Did everyone pay for their own word expander or did MModal provide it?  I'm wondering why they put Shorthand on desktop and then we have to pay for it.  ...

Internet Explorer
Jul 01, 2014

So many websites now are giving the message that the version of IE that we have to use in order to do our work for Nuance is obsolete, not supported. I'm wondering if that could be why my computer is running so slowly lately. (When I Google something now, I literally go back to my report and keep working while the Google page is coming up). It never used to be like this. Has anybody else noticed this? I even called my internet provider and upgraded to turbo speed over the weekend, but I ...

DQS/Internet Explorer Version 8
Dec 07, 2010

Is anyone using their home computer with the newest version of Internet Explorer and finding it is comatible with the new version of DQS?  After we updated I heard people were having problems with the two not being compatible and even support told me that but wondered if since the fixes were there anymore issues? ...

Internet Explorer 8 Question
Dec 01, 2011

It was STRONGLY suggested by my tech guy that I upgrade to IE8, as IE7 has many security risks.  Not to mention Gmail and some other sites all post that little blurb saying "I see you are using an outdated browser, etc, etc, etc.  But I use this PC for work, when companies do not provide equipment.  As a matter of fact, this was a work computer that I bought from a company. Anyway, how many companies, software, programs, etc are IE8 compatible?  Will I be shooting myself in ...

Internet Explorer And Other Things.
Aug 12, 2014

I just retired - Yeah!  Anyway, I had to use IE 8 while working at Nuance and it made my computer so, so slow.  On some sites, it froze.  The first thing I did on retirement was upgrade to IE 11, and you cannot believe the difference.  My internet now is super fast.  Also, I may not have retired completely if I could just have had more time off without pay.  For example, this week I have been sick and I had no PTO remaining.  I would have to have made up ...

Instant Text With Internet Explorer 7 And/or 8
Mar 04, 2010

I have installed Internet Explorer 7 (and tried 8 too) and my Instant Text will not work.  It doesn't link up (even though it appears to be linked).  My version says Instant Text V Pro.  Should this work or do I need a newer version.  I cannot really find anything on the Internet regarding this problem.  When I looked at purchasing a new copy it said Instant Text V Pro, so I don't want to buy what I already have.  I have had this for many years though.&nbs ...

Anyone Having Trouble W/ Internet Explorer Homepage
Mar 08, 2012

every time you click on a link to anything? It even does it every time I click on a post here.  Driving me nuts.  Every time I open anything, I have to then close anywhere from 3-10 copies of my homepage.  Seems to be malware - tried scanning with first AVG, then Malware Bytes.  MWB didn't find anything, but AVG found 4 suspicious files, 2 of which were "healed" and deleted, the other two can't be.  It also seems to have disabled the "Add or Remove Programs" f ...

Viewing Problem With IE (Internet Explorer)
Mar 13, 2013

After a minor boards software update, you may experience problems viewing MTStars MT forums (not General boards) in IE (Internet Explorer). We are working to fix this issue ASAP. We'll update again when we have more info. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. MTStars Support Team.     ...

UDS, *s/l ICON,*
Feb 28, 2013

I've heard this a few times but can't figure out what he's saying. It sounds like icon. In list of tests for someone requesting detox. "Patient had a UDS, *icon*, and blood alcohol level." Thanks. ...

Does Anyone Know What Key To Go To Desktop
Aug 26, 2012

. ...

EditScript, What Version Of Windows Explorer Do U
Jan 14, 2013

Can you use version 8? ...

I Want A New Computer Lap Top Or Desktop
Dec 27, 2009

any opinions?  I know lap tops monitors are small but......might like the portability of working somewhere else beside the h***l hole of my office. ...

Laptop Or Desktop
Dec 31, 2009

I am considering getting a new computer in the next few months.   Trying to decide between laptop and desktop?  Can you really make speed on the laptop keyboard?  Opinions?  TIA ...

Laptop Or Desktop?
Nov 16, 2010

Is it better to do MT on a laptop or a desktop? ...

How Do You Dispose Of Your Old Desktop Pc?
Dec 28, 2010

I dont want to donate it, just dont feel comfortable doing that even though they say they wipe it clean.  I thought I would follow a YouTube video to see how to remove the hard drive and then break up the rest. Is that silly? What do you do? ...

Need To Buy A New 32-bit Windows 7 Desktop
Apr 18, 2011

I can get the from Dell and Ebay. Does anyone know any brick and mortar stores that would sell computers with 32-bit Windows 7? I tried Staples, Office Max, and Office Depot, and they don't sell them. ...

Can Anyone Document - Explorer Endometrial Biopsy Instrument
Mar 17, 2014

Desktop Versus Laptop
May 16, 2010

My question is desktop or laptop?  I see advantages both ways.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA! ...

Laptop Versus Desktop?
Jun 16, 2010

I was wondering how many transcriptionists have started using a laptop instead of a true desktop for work?  And by using a laptop, what I mean is hooking up a true mouse and keyboard.  I am debating this and need to make a decision soon... Thanks! ...

Is There A Way To Copy My Shorthand From My Desktop To My Laptop?
Jan 21, 2010

TIA ...

How To Link Instant Text From One Desktop To Another? 
Oct 22, 2011

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew how to link Instant Text from one desktop to another?  I have it on my original desktop, but am now working off another server's desktop and cannot figure out to link it, using Meditech.  Thank you!! ...

Working On A Desktop Vs. Laptop....opinions?
Sep 05, 2014

Looking for opinions on whether you all work on a desktop or laptop and the pros/cons on each one? ...

Internet
May 03, 2010

Does anyone out there use HughesNet?  ...

Internet Provider
Feb 04, 2010

I live in a rural area and have limited options for internet providers.  Currently have satellite but not happy with service.  Anyone know anything about Verizon wireless cards?  What is the speed comparable to?  Dial up?  DSL?  Thanks ...

Internet Connection
May 12, 2010

I was wondering why most companies do not support or want satelite internet???? ...

Paid Internet?
Aug 09, 2010

Just curious--Do any companies still pay for Internet costs anymore or is the trend to take this perk away?  Just wondering. ...

Anyone With Broadband Internet, Do You Go Over 5 GB?
Aug 21, 2010

I have had it with Hughesnet and am going to try Verizon broadband.  I was just wondering if others who use it have any trouble staying under the 5 GB monthly limit.  I really only use my computer for work, work email and a small amount of personal email, paying bills, and facebook.  Very occasionally a you tube video or something like that.  I'm not sure what that all would add up to. ...

Who Is Your Internet Provider?
Jul 21, 2011

Thanks! ...

Satellite Internet
Nov 13, 2011

Any companies that alloow satellite internet? There is no DSL or cable internet available at my new address. The only thing available is satellite. Right now, I'm having to go to my mother's to work so I really am considering trying to find a company that will allow satellite internet. ...

For Those Of You Who Use Satellite Internet...
Dec 06, 2011

What about the download limits they all seem to place on sat internet service.  Do you exceed these limits using it for working?  ...