A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hospital MT pay rate? - Inquiring mind

Posted: May 28, 2010

Hi everyone!

I have been doing MT from home for about 20 years now.  I have been offered a position at a local hospital doing MT on a per diem basis.  Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of pay to expect?   Thank you.

Not much - me

[ In Reply To ..]
You're better off staying home. You don't have to pay for gas or clothes! :) Hospitals are notorious for not paying well.

Depends - bookwork

[ In Reply To ..]
on where you are. Minium wages are very different across the country and therefore the pay scale is much different.

I worked for a smaller hospital system in mid Oregon and started at around 13 bucks an hour, after 2 years was at 15.50. Then I worked for a large hosital system in Portland Oregon and started around 15 and got up to $17.03 when I left last year. Some of the girls there that had over 20 years experience were making over 23/hr (with benifits)

Hospital MT Wages - typinaway

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm making $23/hr in So. Cal.

typinaway...I had to take a double look at your post - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I always use Typin_away as a name on here so I had to take a double glance at the post. I would LOVE someday to be making $23 an hour.

Maybe I need to make up a new nick-name for on here.

The hospital here pays $16 an hour.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus they pay bonuses. One of the hospitals in the town over starts MTs at $15 an hour and extra for nights. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I'm barely making $9 an hour working at home. I hate working cpl and keep waiting for the hospital here to have an opening.

One of my best MT jobs was working for a hospital - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I miss it so much. I worked for them 5 years and started in-house, but then started working from home. I had great benefits...pay varied depending on my line counts, but I was making between $17-25/hour (worked 2nd shift--paid differential). Unfortunately, they were bought out by a larger health corporation and totally got rid of their transcription department, and are outsourcing the transcription. I've been trying to get on at a hospital ever since. I loved the job and the people...even got to wear scrubs to work whenever I worked in-house.

My hospital pay 4 years ago was $19 hour - Cindi

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Good pay in PNW. - heyho

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems to vary regionally. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, the pay is excellent.

The MTs who've been here for years are making $23+. I'm the lead; I make a hair under $27. Beginners enter much lower, in the range of about $14-15 or so.

My hospital makes a point of being competitive with their pay and continually checks other hospitals' salaries in the area.

I realize we are lucky and this is not the norm in this field.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

Hospital Course
Dec 30, 2010

This is part of a hospital course.  Not sure what the heading in bold should be so I gave the whole grouping for context. RESPIRATORY:  No issues.  CARDIAC:  No issues.  IV:  No issues.  HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY:  No issues.  METABOLIC/GASTROINTESTINAL:  Ultrasound on admission was the only ultrasound obtained.  SEN:  Patient was on D5 half-normal saline plus 20 mEq of KCl at 78 mL/hr throughout hospital admission.  On hospit ...

Hospital Job?
May 14, 2011

Just curious if anyone has a remote (long-distance) position with a hospital.  If so, did you have to work inhouse initially before being able to go home or not? My last employer (the current one MTSO I work for stinks so bad I don't even consider them an employer!) was a hospital that was part of a chain.  Of 50 MTs, there was one in Canada, one in Mexico, and one in China.  However, I'm fairy certain that they were Americans who lived locally and then subsequently mov ...

Seriously Hospital
Oct 06, 2014

Why can they not get this hospital to fix this? The only place I notice it is the OR dictations, so that narrows it down doesn't it? And today, is the worst I have heard it in a while.. ...

Cap THE In The Children's Hospital?
Nov 10, 2009

Consequently, we will educate ourselves on this particular disease as well as obtain medical records from the Children's Hospital. ...

Hospital Pay--is This A JOKE?
Dec 30, 2009

Okay, so halfway out of curiosity, I applied to my local hospital, which is a large regional hospital, for an MT job.  They wanted a "seasoned" MT with CMT, who transcribes 250 lines an hour.  Okay, I thought, they might actually compensate better than I think since they have well-defined high standards.  WRONG!  They are offering $11.35 AN HOUR!  What a slap in the face!  You get a whole extra dollar if you work 2nd shift.  What an insult--they just have ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...

Update On The Hospital Job
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks to everyone who responded and I did call on this job but it was an evening job 3-11 so even though it was 18 bucks an hour that does not work for me have children at home...so back to looking into the MTSO companies and finding the best one out there - if anyone has suggestions let me know ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...

Getting A Hospital NEVER Received Before, Sm
Jan 11, 2011

Started getting these clinic notes from a hospital definitely not in my region and dictators are not giving out any correct information as to attending or medical record #'s.  what to do when the subjective info on vital signs cannot even be understood at all.  I PRIDE myself on quality work, and have been here at Q for 18 years.  I already took pay cuts, and don't know what to do as QA sup and CCM are not answering, nor is MQMail updated at all.  I am sure they are ...

Hospital Switching To VR
Feb 17, 2011

Have been informed that the hospital where I work inhouse is switching to voice.  Has anyone ever been an employee where this happened?  Is there usually enough work for everyone or have there been layoffs?  ...

Departments In Hospital
Feb 18, 2011

When typing the name of a department in a hospital, do you capitalize it?  Such as: We consulted Pulmonology. ...

Working For A Hospital
Feb 23, 2011

Does anybody out there work at home for a hospital, not a transcription company.  How do they handle the running out of work situation - do they expect you to use your PTO or take it without pay.  Are they more flexible with scheduling - I was hoping for some place that might say you have to work 8 hours a day anytime between say 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.  Do they still pay by the line, and less for speech recognition? ...

Hospital Work
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone out there work for Wellspan in Pennsylvania? ...

Working PRN For Hospital? See Msg.
May 12, 2011

Been doing this at home for 15+ years and going for a job interview to work p.r.n. for a local hospital.  Not sure of the details as of yet but if anyone out there has any input from their own experience on what exactly being an in-house p.r.n. transcriptionist is all about, please share.  Pros, cons, how the scheduling works, etc.  Thanks!  :) ...

Hospital Sitters?
Sep 28, 2011

Does anyone know what a hospital sitter gets paid and what qualifications they need?  Maybe this would be a good thing to get into as we lose more and more opportunities in the MT field.  ...

Contingency Job In Hospital
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone know how it works if you are hired as contingent in a hospital?  Do you have to have certain hours you are available?  There's a contingent transcription job I'm thinking of applying to just to get my foot in the door at a local hospital, but I work full time elsewhere (still MT), so I wonder if this would work. ...

Hospital Select?
Apr 17, 2012

Patient is in the skilled nursing wing. Doctor dictates that s/l "hospital select has been consulted"- is Hospital Select an organization that needs caps? Hyphens? Does it even exist? Thanks in advance. ...

Hospital Transcription
Sep 06, 2012

Does anyone know of any hospitals in the U.S. currently hiring experienced MTs? I am in need of a good job with benefits that I can do from home. Please e-mail me with your response. Thanks in advance. ...

Working With A New Hospital And
Feb 26, 2013

in the labs, the doctors keep referring to "the CMS" (shows potassium...CO2...ALT...). For the life of me, this old MT cannot figure out what CMS stands for other than the name of a lab, and I don't believe that is it.  Any thoughts? ...

Veterans Hospital
Oct 10, 2013

Does anyone know who has these accounts now? ...

MTSO Or Hospital
Aug 18, 2014

Opinions please....stay with MTSO (with more and more frustration) or apply to local hospital for transcription? ...

I Wonder How The MTs At UW Hospital In Wisconsin Are Doing?
Oct 16, 2014

I was wondering how it's going over there, if anyone's still working, if they've got a deal with Nuance, if they've been outsourced yet, who's quit or retired or moved on. Hoping all the MTs are going to be okay after TSHTF come January 2015, when "things are going to be a lot different around here."  ...

Is Anyone At I-Medx Doing The Hospital In Ore. That
May 12, 2015

nm ...

Supervisor At Hospital Told Me
Jan 23, 2010

before editing and she spends her day editing the editors. That sounds cost effective! ...