A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any Transcription Services hire people with a record? - justcurious

Posted: Dec 05, 2014

I have been doing transcription for 15 years.  My youngest daughter got into some trouble as a teen and has a record.  She is having a hard time finding work in our rural community.  I could probably train her at home to be a transcriptionist and help her, but just curious if anyone knows if any of the companies hire someone with a felony?  Thanks for any input :)  If you have any other ideas, it would be great.  FYI, she also has bipolar type 1, so working at home would be better for her.  

Thanks again :)

Reply - ST

[ In Reply To ..]
1. You can't train your daughter to be an MT. She'll never get a job that way. She needs to be trained by a reputable school. The only school I recommend is Andrews.
2. I really, really advise against anyone getting into this profession. Yes, we get to work at home but the industry is changing, the pay is not what it used to be, and likely it won't be around for another 20 years, or at least it will look very different from how it looks now.
3. Medical coding might be worth looking into. I believe Andrews trains for that too, and they are the only school in this industry I would recommend.
4. I don't know if they'd hire someone with a record. On the one hand, she'd be working from home (MT or coder), but on the other hand she would be trusted with sensitive material involving patients. I guess it would depend upon the employer.
5. I get why you would feel more comfortable with her working from home with bipolar disorder. On the other hand, getting out of the house and having some social interaction would be very good for her mentally.

reply to st - justcurious

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the input :) I know things have changed so much in the past 15 years. I never took classes through a reputable school. I sent $100 to a school in Salt Lake City, Utah, and received a bunch of ring binders and cassette tapes. Did all the work, passed their test, and in a few months was working for a local doctor's office. After time, I got into MedQuist. We were typing back then, using the old style modems with that annoying noise they make, sending work into the company in batches. Showing my age :) Its hard to say what the work force in any field will be in the next 20 years. I wonder if accounting departments will even exist (because she is great with numbers). She will figure it out. Just wish there was an easy answer.

Reply - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends somewhat on what she did, how old she was, and how long ago it was, but in general, a felony conviction excludes you from most healthcare jobs. Due to HIPAA and electronic data security requirements, as well as patient abuse concerns, healthcare employers are required to do background checks (sometimes federal).

There is a remote possibility that she could find an MT job, but I would not count on it.

Coding is not a possibility at all. Due to the security issues and high potential for involvement in fraud, those jobs require a clean background.

Accounting is not going anywhere! It is just morphing into higher-level responsibilities (the same way coding is). Accountancy stopped adding up columns of numbers with pencils and calculators years ago. Requires a clean background, though.

You might try getting your daughter enrolled in some type of rehabilitation program. They know what suitable jobs are. They may be able to repair her background. Perhaps you can petition to have the record expunged.

If she has nothing to do, I would also suggest that she start working on college courses. There are a lot of free online options. If she is good with numbers, maybe computer programming. She could develop apps, do web design, etc. See the CS program on www.saylor.org. 

MT profession - just curious

[ In Reply To ..]
There are so many opinions on how long things are going to last. Some people are now saying 10-20 years. Maybe it will be around but different than it is now. Do you have any ideas on what it will be like if it is around that far in the future?

Nobody here said 10 to 20 years - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody here said anything about it being around 10 to 20 years! You asked about a career for your daughter. The post above basically told you it was hard to say if it would be around FOR THE 20 YEARS YOUR DAUGHTER WOULD NEED A JOB.

Few here think it will be around in 5 years. Not only should your daughter not get into this, but you should be looking for a way out.

I work for a huge healthcare system that now has no MTs, no "editors," and no contract with any MTSO. None. Medical transcription is dead at my facility. Already.

background checks - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Since most likely she will be working for a service the only service that I know of that does background checks are the ones that do VA work. Other than that I have never had a service want a background check even when I was hooking into the hospitals records.

It has been a few years since I filled out an application and I can't remember if my current employer asked about a record or not. I do know they did not do a background check because you have to give permission, driver's license number, etc., and I didn't give any of that information to them.

following up on responses :) - just curious

[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter should be able to get the record expunged in about 2 years. I swear it was the whole bipolar that has caused all her problems. She goes completely psychotic for a span of 2 weeks when she goes into her mania state. Thought about SSI, but you can hardly live on that. Probably make more at Burger King. Her next step right now is getting into a psychiatrist soon. Maybe the right medication regimen will help clear her head and keep her stable. When she isn't psychotic, she is just indifferent (and I think in denial).

Is it a felony? Does it involve theft/identity theft? Could be a real issue. nm - dunno

[ In Reply To ..]
none

bipolar - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, definitely you should get her to see a psychiatrist. If she had medication it would probably keep her from going to that manic state. There are mood stabilizers for that. I know because my daughter is bipolar and she has tried many different medications over the years, until they finally got her on the right ones. She might be in denial. My daughter was just the opposite she knew she had a problem and wanted medication to help her. I don't know what area you are in, but you should check and see if there are places that don't charge much to see a psychiatrist run by either government or private groups. Good luck.

juvenille records are sealed and cannot be - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
opened. Not hiring her isn't something they can do legally, hey can't know about her record except for small-town gossip. No one except the VA or military does a background check typically. and even then it can't go back past 15 years and depending on who does the check (like everything else some do their jobs and some don't) it may not show anything anyway. but juvie records are sealed - that's why in a newspaper article they can't say their names. They are protected because they are minors.

It's the local, small-town, small-mind judgmental mentality.

She doesn't even have to learn MT if she isn't really interested. Just teach her some stuff, keyboarding, light typing, faxing, answering the phone, e-mailing, invoicing, etc., excel if you can use your company and put it on her resume. It will open doors for her as a receptionist or whatever but probably not in a small community that has already made up their minds about her. You didn't mention what kind of trouble, that would influence them, too.

Most kids in high school have learned excel, word, power point, access in some computer class and have used it regularly and have a working knowledge. There are books out there, Mr. Excel is a good one for a reference book on how to do things in excel, amazon and the library usually has it. To get assistant and receptionist jobs word, excel especially and some access and power point is what employers are looking for.

Similar Messages:

How Does Nuance Hire New People...
Dec 12, 2012

when their own employees don't even understand how they are compensated? Is it the kind of thing where you have to take the job before you understand what you will be paid? Can anyone say "byzantine"? ...

Does Nuance Still Hire Part Time People?
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for your time! ...

Electronic Medical Record No More Dictation, No More Transcription
Jun 26, 2014

Everywhere I turn I see nothing but EMR - No more dictation, no more transcription.  At an eye appointment today when I told the technician I'm a medical transcriptionist, she responded with "DO THEY STILL HAVE THAT?"  It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.  Transcription and even VR will not be needed by next year.  Walmart please hire me! ...

RC Transcription Services
Mar 10, 2010

Has anyone heard of this company?  I tried to do a search but was unable to find any posts about the company.  All comments are welcome. ...

Q.E.D. Transcription Services
Sep 11, 2010

I am considering applying with Q.E.D. Transcription.  They seem to be a stable company to work for from what I've read.  Does anyone have any experience with them or input?  Any info appreciated!  Thanks. ...

JLG Transcription Services
Sep 24, 2010

Anybody ever worked for JLG Medical Transcription Company?      ...

One Transcription Services
Feb 23, 2014

Has anyone worked for or currently works for One Transcription Services out of Omaha?  They seem like very nice people to work for, and they seem to have quite a bit of work.  I cannot find anything in the archives about them.  If anyone can provide any feedback on OTS, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!     ...

Allegiant Transcription Services?
Dec 01, 2009

I just sent my resume to them.  I can't find any recent info on them.  Do they pay on time, steady accounts, etc.?  Any info appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Allegiant Transcription Services
Jan 02, 2010

Any info on IC position with this company would be appreciated, good, bad, or indifferent please. ...

Has Anyone Heard Of WBG Transcription Services?
Jan 16, 2010

Any information you could give me would be appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Professional Transcription Services
Mar 31, 2010

Any info on this company?  TIA! ...

InHealth Transcription Services
Jun 09, 2010

Any new information on this company?  All I have found is old and would like to know more about it.  Pay, insurance, platform used, etc.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  TIA! ...

Southern Transcription Services?
Nov 03, 2011

Has anyone worked for Southern Transcription Services, Inc. in Georgia? If so, what was your experience like? What is their line rate?   Thanks. ...

Breitner Transcription Services
Jun 02, 2012

I'm a CMT w/ 16 years' experience in acute care. I just applied for PT w/ Breitner. After doing their little test, answering their employment history questions, and pasting my resume, I got this automated response - Unfortunately, your experience does not meet our minimum requirement. We do have a continuous need for experienced medical transcriptionists. We strongly encourage all interested applicants to pursue additional formal training and/or experience to increase their skills ...

Nuance Transcription Services - Anyone Knows About Them
Jul 23, 2012

has anyone heard of Nuance?  They supposedly have added Transcend Services to their company.  I saw an ad where they are hiring, and just wondered if anyone knows about them.  Been with my company now for several years, but keep running out of work, and so I'm looking elsewhere.  thanks ! ...

DTS (digital Transcription Services) Does Anybody Know Anything
Jul 25, 2012

Does anybody know anything about DTS? I have seen their posting on the job board here for transcriptionists with cardiology experience. I see that they offer benefits, vacation, 401K, etc. I am just wondering what the pay scale is like and how the workload is. ...

MJOL Transcription Services
Sep 22, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of this company?  MJOL Transcription Services out of Norcross, GA.  I looked on the Internet and I could not find anything? ...

Omniscribe Transcription Services, Inc.
May 02, 2013

Hello Everyone, It was very graciously brought to my attention that my company, Omniscribe, is being confused with another "Omniscribes" located in Texas. I thought it would be helpful to let anyone interested know that my name is Kresta Glaser. I am located in Pocatello, Idaho and I have been in business for 10 years in February. I am very aware of this other company along with another called EMR Omniscribe, LLC. Not sure if Tonya did her research when she named her company, but apparently "O ...

One Transcription Services Question
Apr 12, 2014

Does anyone have any information about One Transcription Services? I am considering applying for the position advertised on the Job Seeker's Board for the weekend work. Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ...

Digital Transcription Services (DTS)
Sep 02, 2014

Does anyone work or has worked for DTS out of Oklahoma? The old posts seem to be several years old. Good or bad? Any info appreciated. ...

Would This Company Hire With No Transcription Experience
May 27, 2012

My neighbor calls me to help her get through the test for the company..Im like really,, if you cant get past the test how the heck are you going to do the job..No I wont help you..Im afraid she used me as a referal and no way would I refer her...A 6-month LPN course doesnt make you a transcriptionist, obviously, since she needed help with the practical part of the test that can all be googled anyway...So tired of people thinking because we work from the house that we are idiots and just typ ...

STAT Medical Transcription Services
Oct 31, 2009

Does anyone have any information on STAT Medical Transcription Services??  Thanx ...

Accu-Script Transcription Services, Inc.
Nov 12, 2009

Anyone here know anything about this company?  They are located in Lake Orion, MI.  I couldn't find anything about them in the archives.  I'd like to know pros, cons, pay, work load, or any other info you could provide.    Thanks a bunch! ...

Need Info On MTS -Medical Transcription Services
Dec 03, 2009

Does anyone work for or have worked for MTS (Medical Transcription Services)?  Please tell me all of the good and bad things about this company.  Thanks in advance ...

Anyone Know Of Advanced Medical Transcription Services?
May 21, 2010

Anyone know anything about this company out of NJ?   ...

Transcription Services That Provide Equipment
Sep 30, 2010

Does anyone know of any transcription services that provide the computer equipment?  I tried the ones I found on this board WebMedX and SoftScript (bad reviews on SoftScript) and Proscript which is an INDIAN company!  I do not own my own computer.  I am quitting MQ and will have to return the equipment, or will I (wink wink).     ...

MD-IT, Southern Transcription Services, Or NEMT
Oct 27, 2010

Hello!  I am looking to supplement my FT work.  I have had offers from all 3 companies and am having trouble making up my mind.  Anyone with GEMS cardiology comments (cannot keep line count, paid by dictated minute)?  ChartNet platform comments?  STS?  I have spoken to very nice people at all companies, and they seem to be organized and helpful.  Any advice or comments would be welcome.  Thanks for your time. ...

What Is The Scoop For DTS (digital Transcription Services)
Feb 09, 2011

What is the scoop for DTS?  Are they good to work for?  Anyone currently working for them. ...

Any Heard Of Radiology Transcription Services LLC Out Of NJ?
Jun 13, 2011

Just trying to feel out some companies...came across this one.  Thanks! ...

Central Transcription Services, Woodhaven, MI
May 25, 2011

Does anyone here have any experience with this company? ...