A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Changing down to 30-35 hours instead of 40 - pros and cons?

Posted: Sep 12, 2014

So, progressive part time anyone?

Obviously, the PTO accrual (which is pretty pitiful even at full strength) is way less, but when you have to keep using all your PTO anyway to make up the paycheck and your lph goes down because of that, what's the point of that?

I am considering going down to 30-35 hours so I don't have to scratch all the time to make up to 40 hours, even if my PTO accrual goes down, mainly because I am sick of having to "flex" every morning, noon, and night to get those 40 hours in or close to it.

I do have a second job but it only pays once a month, so kind of scary, yet I do wonder if I would make just as much working 30-35 hours per week for Nuance as 40 hours, and what's the point of accruing PTO if you always have to use it all for lack of hours?

I never seem to get any bonus anyway for the last year or so, so not too concerned about that. Mainly my motivation would be just to not get so stressed out about making up the hours and to be able to focus better with less hours and hopefully get the lph up a bit.

I am not using their benefits now, not sure if I would use them, so that is not part of my consideration at the moment.

Just wondering if anyone has made this change and if they felt it was a good move or not.

I can only look at the latest version of the employee manual in ENRICH, cannot download it - anyone do this? I hate having to log into anything, would rather have the PDF file on my desktop.

Something interesting I just found in the employee handbook in the description of the different types of employment, part-time, progressive part-time, were that the scheduled work week is Saturday-Friday (how come I am working Sunday then?) and that employment is for no definite term - which I am guessing is At Will Employment? No surprise there, but seems weird reading that.

If anyone has any personal experiences, positive or negative, of progressive part time to offer, I would much appreciate. Thanks.

Progressive PT - Not bad

[ In Reply To ..]
At 30 hours, you still receive benefits and PTO. The nice part of that is if it does get busy and you can put in more, then do so. You have 10 hours that you could possibly put in extra. Not sure what you mean about why do you have to work on Sunday. If work week is Sat-Fri, Sunday is included? They usually offer Tues-Sat or Sun-Thur.

Oh yeah - Doh!

[ In Reply To ..]
Seeing Sat-Fri I just thought Sunday was missed out for some reason, but no. I guess they just say it that way because the work week begins on Saturday.

Thanks for your input. I guess if you want time off instead of taking PTO you can probably flex? The PTO accrual seems so bad that that is my only worry, yet I have accrued a bit and now it is all gone with one week of low work, and I am getting sick of it.

I may just wait to see what they are going to do in October before I change anyway, just to see if there would be any difference.

Download and saving the employee handbook - Two or three steps

[ In Reply To ..]
Once you have the document open on your screen, notice the little triangle or down-pointing arrow next to the title. Click that and click onthe download option. Then, your screen will look identical, but now scroll down to the bottom of your screen and click THAT download button also. This time a dialog box should appear and you can choose which file you would like to save it to!

Thanks for explaining how - to download the pdf

[ In Reply To ..]
I am usually not so clueless, but this one seemed to be almost purposely deceptive.

Almost like they want you to be forced to log into Enrich every day in order to justify its existence....

I went from - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
full time to part-time (not progressive, dropped to 20 hours per week). My hours were required to change from starting early morning to starting at noon. I do find, however, that I rarely run out of work and I am not as stressed about work. The money I make, of course, is less, but I did it in order to be able to be on my husband's insurance because it is much better than what we have through Nuance. Even with the difference in the net income, it was the best move for me.

Changing down to 30-35 hours instead of 40 - pros and cons - DJ

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely, this can be a great choice depending on your circumstances. True, the PTO is not so great, but if you only work 4 days a week, or 32 hours, you have 3 days to get away on a short trip. I did that for 2 years, then recently moved to a schedule where I work 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off, which I really love because it gives me a physical and emotional break from the job. Also, you have some time to make up hours if need be and you also have time to do OT if called for and you want to do it. Won't work for everybody, but when my hospital that I worked for dropped the bomb on us that they were outsourcing and we had our meeting with Nuance and I glanced over their handouts my eye went right to the statement that you could work 30 hours and still get benefits. That was 3 years ago and I still needed health insurance. I also realized that with the hospital I was making too much to collect my late husband's Social Security, but with this offer, if I dropped back to 32 hours with the decreased pay I could collect his SS and only work 4 days a week. It worked for me. May not work for everybody, but it made the outsourcing tolerable.

PS from DJ - DJ

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh yes -- BTW, say you work Wed thru Sat, you have Sunday off for family time, then you have Monday/Tuesday to go to doc or dentist appointments and don't need to use PTO. I have a little different situation in that I am widowed and now 66 and on Medicare plus supplemental. The account I work on keeps me busy and I make about 20 K a year. That and my late husband's SS, plus no house payment or debt to speak of makes this very workable and tolerable for me. If I was in my 30s or 40s and trying to support children there is nothing about this job that would work.

went from 35 to 30 hours - beulah

[ In Reply To ..]
Dropped to 30 because: with husband bringing in much of the bacon, and our mainly needing Nuance's health insurance (30 hr/wk being minimum for eligibility, and my husband doesn't have insurance), plus the rather crummy pay, I'd much rather have the extra free time!

But relating to your question, I have 3 accts and actually DO run out of work a couple hours a week, so you could still be in the same OOW boat even at 30 hr, it would depend on your accounts and staffing. So that may be a crapshoot.

I've never used PTO to make up for OOW, there's much too little PTO as it is. I don't flex either, I make myself available for my scheduled hours and that's the end of it. We are rarely offered OT, and if we are, oftentimes I have other plans and can't do it anyway. But definitely want to save my PTO for vacation and holidays! At 30 hours, I work 4 only days a week, so that extra day off is very helpful! I really do like my schedule (except working Saturdays).

At 30 hr of acute care, I never earn any production bonus. (Quality bonus of course is independent of your work schedule). Hope this helps.

I went from 40 to 20 hours a week. sm - Senior

[ In Reply To ..]
6 accounts, still run out occasionally, but much easier to make up a few hours. Love part-time, but had to start SS early at age 62 due to huge pay cuts here. Plus DH and I both have pensions from many years at our previous jobs.

Similar Messages:

Religious Reasons For Not Changing Your Hours, Can You Get UE?
Jan 29, 2013

It may be state to state also but let's say you had a religious reason for not working saturdays or sundays and they said to you "if you work sundays and saturdays you will have work" but you were not hired to work these dates as you stated when you were hired it was because of religious reasons, can you get unemployment? They are changing your schedule that you didn't sign up for, for a reason, religious objection. Just wondering. ...

Flexibility With MQ - Changing Hours For Sports Activities, Etc.
Oct 12, 2009

Is this pretty much depending on who your direct supervisor is or is this new time keeping thing one that allows you to make changes, switch shifts, etc.? ...

CHANGING JOBS/CHANGING EMPLOYEES
Feb 23, 2011

I have been applying and studying the "online transcription world" for about 2 months, so I realize I have am a neophyte. BUT-it seems to me that what is happening here is a huge waste of time and money. If the companies paid enough, ACTUALLY had work when they hire, were able to ACTUALLY pay the employees at all,  and treated employees well, then the transcriptionists wouldn't go looking for another job and leave.  THEN the companies wouldn't have to maintain recruiters, pos ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Another Example Of How MT Is Changing
May 06, 2010

Position available for full-time EMR Transcriptionist/Medical Assistant Applicants must have some EXPERIENCE in Electronic Medical Records data entry to qualify. Medical Assistant skills are necessary. For example, how to put on an EKG. Other important skills and qualifications of the ideal candidate are: Strong data entry skills - accuracy is also very important Good patient and people skills Dependable and a good team player ...

WMX - Changing From FT To PT ?
Jun 25, 2011

Does anyone know if you have to request your PTO be paid out when you change status?  I know we don't accrue PTO as PT so I would assume they would.  Just didn't know if I should request those hours on next payperiod or not.  Communication now is rather sketchy, so I thought I would ask here first.  ...

Changing TSM
Jul 03, 2014

What are the chances of changing TSMs or accounts?  I am on an account that has a lousy ESL who won't budge on his "speaking better".  I can never get the man right.  Always, always have errors on his reports.  Told my TSM that if I didn't understand and left blanks, would probably end up the whole thing being blank. ...

I Got In Trouble For Not Changing 1st, 2nd Etc
Oct 23, 2009

I always thought it was optional to spell out 1st, 2nd, or 3rd per AAMT BOS so now I will go look for it.  I am so frustrated though because not only do I get paid less on ASR but it takes longer to do it!  My accounts have to be put into standards and the dictators sure as heck do NOT dictate it that way!  On the physical exam in one of my accounts we have to do headings caps on the left margin, which isn't so bad, but I said they sure as heck don't dictate that way and ...

Changing Transcription
Jan 18, 2010

I recently discovered that another employee has been making changes to transcription that carries my initials along side the doctor's initials, which indicates me as the transcriptionist. I feel that this is not only inappropriate, but possibly also illegal. Is it illegal for someone to change transcription done by someone else without their knowledge and/or permission? Can I be held responsible for her changes within my reports? I do have copies of my original transcripti ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Changing CCM/Region
Sep 07, 2010

I was switched to new accounts back in March, a group of long-term subacute hospitals with the same name and locations all over the country.  HIGH HIGH ESL.  Most of the notes barely 30 seconds long, if that.  They are the worst money accounts possible with more time spent on ADT than typing because the notes are so short.  The ONLY good thing is that I rarely ever run out of work.  My income has gone down over 40% since being put on these accounts.  I ask ...

WMX And Changing Shifts
Sep 04, 2011

If you find you aren't happy with the shift you hired on for, do you have to wait 90 days to ask for a change?  Do you just ask your  manager or is there a request form you need to submit?  TIA. ...

Changing Gears
Dec 14, 2011

Well, here I am-45, recently lost my job due to one of the big MTSOs taking over at the hospital I worked at, and I am seriously considering going back to school.  I was thinking medical reimbursement and coding, but have been reading on some posts about that profession going the same way transcription has.  I would hate to put all of the time, effort, and money into another degree, just to be in the same boat in a couple of years, yet older and even more uneasy about changing to anoth ...

Changing To Something Besides Healthcare
May 20, 2012

Well, I've done it -- I've changed to something else for work other than anything in healthcare. I was an MT for many years, and I can't see any future for decent earnings, benefits or growth unless a person wants to be in direct patient care -- if they can even break into it after all of the hard work to earn another degree. I do have a university degree and changed to a job that pertains to that degree. I have seen many organizations go to Epic, which is an excellent system by t ...

Changing Schedule
Jun 11, 2012

Anybody being asked to change their schedule to a "weekend component or four 10 hour days?" ...

Changing Jobs
Jul 09, 2012

I work for Medscribe right now and just had to take a pay cut (gasp)!  I am seriously thinking about changing jobs but I have been here for 5 years and hate to lose my PTO accrual rate and great schedule.  (M-F flex 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.)  Also, I fear the grass is not greener on the other side.  Our work load has diminished greatly over the past few months and I have a huge fear about this.  What would you do?? I have 13 years experience in transcription and this is the wors ...

Changing Platforms?
Aug 22, 2012

Before totally giving up on this company, I would like to give an E-Scription account a try (currently on Enterprise). Does anyone know who I would contact? TIA. ...

Changing Passwords For 7.0
Aug 24, 2012

So I was prompted to go to docqmanage to change my password when I tried to log into docqscribe 7.0 today.  I went to docqmanage, changed the password, now I'm locked out because I kept trying the one I changed to, then the old one too many times.  Arrgggghh!  Any ideas? ...

MM ASR Gender Changing.
Jun 01, 2013

I could subscribe to a conspiracy theory - only kidding. But, why does ASR predictably and routinely change gender soon after the beginning of the report and remain rather consistent with the incorrect gender whatever gender the doctor dictates? _IF_ I was paranoid, I would think this was being done to trip us up. ...

COM And TL Changing Positions....
Sep 25, 2013

Just received an e-maiil that both of these are changing positions in the company and we have been told who the replacements are.  I hope the new ones are as nice and understanding when needed as the ones that leaving have been. Otherwise I'll be looking for a new job if they're mean and rude. ...

Priorities Changing
Jan 31, 2014

To succeed in 2014, health care providers and administrators will need to skillfully evaluate changing conditions, spot opportunities and manage risks.  While I enjoy reading the posts here at mtstars, I also am seeking a way out and transition my MT skills into other career paths.  My interests are geared towards Healthcare IT and I would like to share some resources with other MT's who are seeking the same career transition along the line of HIT, etc. 1.  From:   ...

Changing From Mt To Scribe
Apr 28, 2014

scribe might be okay  for some but consider these things.   you will be in the room with doc and seeing andhearing lots of strange things, smelling awful odors, being exposed to virus and bacteria up the wazoo.  worked for an internist for 20 years,  good pay, nice conditions but becoming a scribe, no thank you. you can contracted work related illnesses due to the air at work, mostly flu etc. this happened to me more than once without being in the patient rooms.  example ...

Company Changing Name
Sep 03, 2014

Does anyone have a clue why a company decides to change their name.  It makes me feel somewhat uneasy.  We won't know our options for another week. ...

Voice Changing
Dec 09, 2014

Does anyone know of any software available where we can change the voice on incoming sound files? I know there is software to change my voice if I am speaking, but am not aware of any for changing playback, other than to change the speed. ...

Color Changing Changes - Hyphen?
Feb 10, 2010

she had extreme tenderness on her foot with erythematous color changing changes... I have never used two variations of a word together like this and it is confusing me.  ...

Changing From McAfee To Kaspersky
Mar 18, 2010

Just received an E-mail stating I needed to replace my McAfee with Kaspersky by the end of this month.  Has anyone noticed any changes when working with Kaspersky? ...

Changing Computers Question
Jun 11, 2010

I just started a new job. All the software got put on my computer remotely, and it took a long time. My computer is slow, and I want to get a new one in about 3 months. Do companies hate it if you change computers? It seem like they would be put out by spending another 2-3 hours putting the software on my computer. I know every company is different though.   ...