A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

changing transcription - R

Posted: Jan 18, 2010

I recently discovered that another employee has been making changes to transcription that carries my initials along side the doctor's initials, which indicates me as the transcriptionist.

I feel that this is not only inappropriate, but possibly also illegal.

Is it illegal for someone to change transcription done by someone else without their knowledge and/or permission? Can I be held responsible for her changes within my reports?

I do have copies of my original transcriptions in the form of computer files. However, she has filed her changes in the patient's charts with these notes identified by the name/initials of the dictating doctor and my initials as the transcriptionist.

changing initials - old mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I would take it up with the doctor/company you work for. Is it possible hers are the same? One of you just needs to change yours. If she is blatantly doing this I would change yours, tell them why and see what happens.

changing initials - R

[ In Reply To ..]
No, her initials are not the same as mine, and she is NOT even a transcriptionist. She receives the completed transcription and is responsible for having it signed by the dotor and filing it in the charts. If the doctor needs changes, it is office policy that I be notifed so that I can make the changes. However, she has apparently been making changes on her own, which means that the notes that are filed in the chart do not match the computer files and that my initials are attached to notes that I have not even seen. I have asked her not to change my transcription, but she insists that she can do so as long as they have not yet been placed in the chart. I feel that she has no business changing transcription and I am hopeful that someone can point to a legal reference to proove my point. Thanks for your help!

I dont know the legalities of it - but (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]

I would not let another minute go by without taking this up with the Office Manager, or whomever runs that office.  If there is no one, I would speak to the doctor himself.  Don't waste any more time on the person who is doing it, that didn't work for you.  Go over her head.

I would not do any more transcription until this practice was stopped.

Believe me, the blame will fall on you for any discrepancies or incorrect notes.  Having the original in your computer files is not going to back you up.  They can say you changed YOUR notes and the note in the chart is the correct/original note. 

I would be boiling over this too. 

changing initials - old mt
[ In Reply To ..]
definitely tell the hirer ups. That is just not right. I would start looking for another job.

paper or electronic record? draft or authenticated version? sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a serious issue; from your post it's impossible to tell what situation your have; there are MANY variables affecting legality such as current policies in place, access rights, version, authentication, etc. Are you an employee or contractor? on-site or remote?

You said, "She receives the completed transcription and is responsible for having it signed by the dotor and filing it in the charts."

Once the doctor SIGNS the record, it is AUTHENTICATED and CANNOT BE CHANGED.

You said, "If the doctor needs changes, it is office policy that I be notifed so that I can make the changes. However, she has apparently been making changes on her own, which means that the notes that are filed in the chart do not match the computer files and that my initials are attached to notes that I have not even seen."

If the practice has a written security policy that indicates changes are ONLY to be made by the original MT and that the office MUST notify MT to make those changes, then she is in violation of that security policy.

You said, "I have asked her not to change my transcription, but she insists that she can do so as long as they have not yet been placed in the chart." Changes can be made to a draft, but an AUDIT TRAIL must be in place either on paper or electronically, documenting ANYONE who has access to the record...with a time stamp indicating any change made to the record.

This is a security and legal issue; I invite you to research

HIPAA Security Rules and AHIMA Legal Documentation guidelines

http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_028509.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_028509

Here's a quote: "It is acceptable for a draft of a dictated and transcribed note or report to be changed before authentication unless there is a reason to believe the changes are suspect and would not reflect actual events or actions. Facility policy should define the acceptable period of time allowed for a document to remain in draft form before the author reviews and approves it (e.g., 24 to 72 hours). Once a document is no longer considered a draft or has been authenticated, any changes or alterations should be made following the procedures for a late entry or amendment. The original document must be maintained along with the new revised document."

paper records - R

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your input. I read the article you referenced and believe it will be helpful.
I am an employee of a multi-office practice. I work off-site and as the sole transcriptionist for the practice. Dictation is transcribed and transmitted electronically to the appropriate office, where it is printed, signed and added to the appropriate patient charts as a paper record.
Apparently these questionable changes are being made before the documents are signed and placed in the charts - - but without an audit trail.
My concern it that my initials identify the items as my transcription, and I do not wish to be held responsible for what this other employee is doing.
As of today, I plan to send all documents in a read-only format to hopefully prevent alteration of my original file, although I will still have no control over what she does with the paper copies.
I will present the AHIMA article you suggested to my practice manager and suggest she put the office policy regarding altering transcription in writing. Thanks again for your help and any other thoughts you may have regarding this.

another backup of the original could be done - see inside

[ In Reply To ..]
by using print screen and pasting the screen shot, including date and time from your toolbar, into a Word document for your own backup. No one can claim these have been altered in any way by anyone.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Similar Messages:

Changing A VR Job To Straight Transcription
Jun 11, 2013

Sorry to bother everyone, but knew I could get an answer here.  You have a job that comes to you as VR, can someone tell me exactly what you do to change it to straight transcription?  I thought I remembered if being F11 so I did that and it said it was going to delete the text. I said okay and transcribed job.  Do I need to do anything other than that?  It never showed up in my transcription line count for the day but it is showing up as VR line count and I wondered if I did ...

CHANGING JOBS/CHANGING EMPLOYEES
Feb 23, 2011

I have been applying and studying the "online transcription world" for about 2 months, so I realize I have am a neophyte. BUT-it seems to me that what is happening here is a huge waste of time and money. If the companies paid enough, ACTUALLY had work when they hire, were able to ACTUALLY pay the employees at all,  and treated employees well, then the transcriptionists wouldn't go looking for another job and leave.  THEN the companies wouldn't have to maintain recruiters, pos ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Another Example Of How MT Is Changing
May 06, 2010

Position available for full-time EMR Transcriptionist/Medical Assistant Applicants must have some EXPERIENCE in Electronic Medical Records data entry to qualify. Medical Assistant skills are necessary. For example, how to put on an EKG. Other important skills and qualifications of the ideal candidate are: Strong data entry skills - accuracy is also very important Good patient and people skills Dependable and a good team player ...

WMX - Changing From FT To PT ?
Jun 25, 2011

Does anyone know if you have to request your PTO be paid out when you change status?  I know we don't accrue PTO as PT so I would assume they would.  Just didn't know if I should request those hours on next payperiod or not.  Communication now is rather sketchy, so I thought I would ask here first.  ...

Changing TSM
Jul 03, 2014

What are the chances of changing TSMs or accounts?  I am on an account that has a lousy ESL who won't budge on his "speaking better".  I can never get the man right.  Always, always have errors on his reports.  Told my TSM that if I didn't understand and left blanks, would probably end up the whole thing being blank. ...

I Got In Trouble For Not Changing 1st, 2nd Etc
Oct 23, 2009

I always thought it was optional to spell out 1st, 2nd, or 3rd per AAMT BOS so now I will go look for it.  I am so frustrated though because not only do I get paid less on ASR but it takes longer to do it!  My accounts have to be put into standards and the dictators sure as heck do NOT dictate it that way!  On the physical exam in one of my accounts we have to do headings caps on the left margin, which isn't so bad, but I said they sure as heck don't dictate that way and ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Changing CCM/Region
Sep 07, 2010

I was switched to new accounts back in March, a group of long-term subacute hospitals with the same name and locations all over the country.  HIGH HIGH ESL.  Most of the notes barely 30 seconds long, if that.  They are the worst money accounts possible with more time spent on ADT than typing because the notes are so short.  The ONLY good thing is that I rarely ever run out of work.  My income has gone down over 40% since being put on these accounts.  I ask ...

WMX And Changing Shifts
Sep 04, 2011

If you find you aren't happy with the shift you hired on for, do you have to wait 90 days to ask for a change?  Do you just ask your  manager or is there a request form you need to submit?  TIA. ...

Changing Gears
Dec 14, 2011

Well, here I am-45, recently lost my job due to one of the big MTSOs taking over at the hospital I worked at, and I am seriously considering going back to school.  I was thinking medical reimbursement and coding, but have been reading on some posts about that profession going the same way transcription has.  I would hate to put all of the time, effort, and money into another degree, just to be in the same boat in a couple of years, yet older and even more uneasy about changing to anoth ...

Changing To Something Besides Healthcare
May 20, 2012

Well, I've done it -- I've changed to something else for work other than anything in healthcare. I was an MT for many years, and I can't see any future for decent earnings, benefits or growth unless a person wants to be in direct patient care -- if they can even break into it after all of the hard work to earn another degree. I do have a university degree and changed to a job that pertains to that degree. I have seen many organizations go to Epic, which is an excellent system by t ...

Changing Schedule
Jun 11, 2012

Anybody being asked to change their schedule to a "weekend component or four 10 hour days?" ...

Changing Jobs
Jul 09, 2012

I work for Medscribe right now and just had to take a pay cut (gasp)!  I am seriously thinking about changing jobs but I have been here for 5 years and hate to lose my PTO accrual rate and great schedule.  (M-F flex 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.)  Also, I fear the grass is not greener on the other side.  Our work load has diminished greatly over the past few months and I have a huge fear about this.  What would you do?? I have 13 years experience in transcription and this is the wors ...

Changing Platforms?
Aug 22, 2012

Before totally giving up on this company, I would like to give an E-Scription account a try (currently on Enterprise). Does anyone know who I would contact? TIA. ...

Changing Passwords For 7.0
Aug 24, 2012

So I was prompted to go to docqmanage to change my password when I tried to log into docqscribe 7.0 today.  I went to docqmanage, changed the password, now I'm locked out because I kept trying the one I changed to, then the old one too many times.  Arrgggghh!  Any ideas? ...

MM ASR Gender Changing.
Jun 01, 2013

I could subscribe to a conspiracy theory - only kidding. But, why does ASR predictably and routinely change gender soon after the beginning of the report and remain rather consistent with the incorrect gender whatever gender the doctor dictates? _IF_ I was paranoid, I would think this was being done to trip us up. ...

COM And TL Changing Positions....
Sep 25, 2013

Just received an e-maiil that both of these are changing positions in the company and we have been told who the replacements are.  I hope the new ones are as nice and understanding when needed as the ones that leaving have been. Otherwise I'll be looking for a new job if they're mean and rude. ...

Priorities Changing
Jan 31, 2014

To succeed in 2014, health care providers and administrators will need to skillfully evaluate changing conditions, spot opportunities and manage risks.  While I enjoy reading the posts here at mtstars, I also am seeking a way out and transition my MT skills into other career paths.  My interests are geared towards Healthcare IT and I would like to share some resources with other MT's who are seeking the same career transition along the line of HIT, etc. 1.  From:   ...

Changing From Mt To Scribe
Apr 28, 2014

scribe might be okay  for some but consider these things.   you will be in the room with doc and seeing andhearing lots of strange things, smelling awful odors, being exposed to virus and bacteria up the wazoo.  worked for an internist for 20 years,  good pay, nice conditions but becoming a scribe, no thank you. you can contracted work related illnesses due to the air at work, mostly flu etc. this happened to me more than once without being in the patient rooms.  example ...

Company Changing Name
Sep 03, 2014

Does anyone have a clue why a company decides to change their name.  It makes me feel somewhat uneasy.  We won't know our options for another week. ...

Changing Down To 30-35 Hours Instead Of 40
Sep 12, 2014

So, progressive part time anyone? Obviously, the PTO accrual (which is pretty pitiful even at full strength) is way less, but when you have to keep using all your PTO anyway to make up the paycheck and your lph goes down because of that, what's the point of that? I am considering going down to 30-35 hours so I don't have to scratch all the time to make up to 40 hours, even if my PTO accrual goes down, mainly because I am sick of having to "flex" every morning, noon, and night to get ...

Voice Changing
Dec 09, 2014

Does anyone know of any software available where we can change the voice on incoming sound files? I know there is software to change my voice if I am speaking, but am not aware of any for changing playback, other than to change the speed. ...

Color Changing Changes - Hyphen?
Feb 10, 2010

she had extreme tenderness on her foot with erythematous color changing changes... I have never used two variations of a word together like this and it is confusing me.  ...

Changing From McAfee To Kaspersky
Mar 18, 2010

Just received an E-mail stating I needed to replace my McAfee with Kaspersky by the end of this month.  Has anyone noticed any changes when working with Kaspersky? ...

Changing Computers Question
Jun 11, 2010

I just started a new job. All the software got put on my computer remotely, and it took a long time. My computer is slow, and I want to get a new one in about 3 months. Do companies hate it if you change computers? It seem like they would be put out by spending another 2-3 hours putting the software on my computer. I know every company is different though.   ...

Changing Password In DocQmanage
Dec 29, 2010

HELP!!!  A note came up when I was going to start my day by uploading a report to transcribe.  It said that in 5 days, my password would need changing...go to DocQmanage to change it.  Use to, it would automatically let it change it, no problem.  I have gone to DocQmanage, and I do not see where it lets you change your password.  Please help!!!!  I have been looking for over an hour. ...

Changing Font In Word
Jul 07, 2011

I know I probably should know this, but I can't figure out how to change the font in Word so that it will come up with the same font everytime it is open.  I have an account that needs 11 and mine is 12, so I have to change it for each report and once in a while I forget and, of course, QA jumps on me for that.  So, can anyone tell me where to go on my computer to change the Microsoft Word font to default to 11 so it will be automatic?  I truly appreciate your help in th ...

Changing Expander Programs
Aug 11, 2011

Hope everyone is having a good Thursday.  I was wondering if anyone knew any way of converting an IT glossary to make it work in shorthand.  Unfortunately, I had to upgrade my computer to Windows 7, and IT V Pro will not work with Windows 7.  I had received my IT as a gift MANY years ago, and so do not qualify for the upgrade price, and am not in a position to pay the nearly $200 dollars right now to buy the new version.  PC Shorthand has a monthly pay deal, where it is only ...

JLG Sold To MQ 09/15. How Are Things Changing? Nm
Sep 30, 2011

nm ...