A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are unenthusiastic workers hurting your business’s bottom line? - Nuanceheadlines

Posted: Jun 24, 2013

By ,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM

If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line?

That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and “actively disengaged,” those who are disruptive and counterproductive.

Across a variety of metrics, there were stark differences between the most engaged and least engaged workers in the effects they had in the workplace. The findings led Gallup to conclude that many U.S. employers would benefit from revamping their human resources strategies.

Gallup studied the level of engagement across nearly 50,000 business units nationwide. To determine how committed workers were to their jobs, the researchers asked participants to respond to statements such as “My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person,” or “At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.”

They found a sharp disparity on dollars-and-cents outcomes between the top quartile of respondents — those who were most engaged — and the bottom quartile, those least engaged.

Engaged work units were 22 percent more profitable. They also had 48 percent fewer safety incidents, 41 percent fewer quality defects and 28 percent less “shrinkage,” or employee theft. Among high-turnover organizations, there was 25 percent less turnover in the most engaged work units. Among low-turnover organizations, there was 65 percent less turnover.

Also, the customer ratings for engaged work units were 10 percent higher. “If someone’s taking care of me as an employee, I’m more likely to reciprocate with a customer,” said Jim Harter, the chief scientist for Gallup’s workplace management practice.

Using assessments of how engagement relates to productivity and how productivity translates into dollars, Gallup estimates that actively disengaged employees cost the United States $450 billion to $550 billion a year. It also projects that the most disgruntled employees — those in the actively disengaged category — make up 20 percent of the nation’s workforce.

The correlation found in Gallup’s study between employee engagement and outcomes on a balance sheet raises question of whether the former causes the latter. Perhaps the momentum and energy of a successful enterprise are driving employees to be more motivated, as opposed to the other way around.

Harter said that he has examined this question in longitudinal workplace studies and that he has found engagement predicts these favorable financial outcomes more often than the outcomes predict employee engagement.

“There is somewhat of a reciprocal relationship,” Harter said, but “it’s not as strong that direction as it is the other one.”

In an era when offering lavish employee perks has turned into something of an arms race, Harter cautioned that it’s important to note that a happy workforce is not the same as an engaged workforce.

“Happiness is more of a state. When people come to work happy, they may or may not be productive,” Harter said. “Engagement is more focused.”

The study did, however, find a correlation between flexible work schedules and engagement, which could suggest that some types of perks play a role in keeping staffers focused and productive.

© The Washington Post Company

pixel

yes, and in my opinion has a LOT to do with management - NA

[ In Reply To ..]
managing is an art, and an art of which not many people can pull off successfully.

too many really deficient, uncaring, unqualified people in management positions, who know nothing about motivating employees.

...which probably stems from trickling down from upper administration and the total need to use profits only for CEOs rather than invest in training and incentives for middle management, because does anyone really care anymore about the little 'guy'.

when I joined the workforce, some 40 years ago, most of my jobs were of the mindset that the 'little guy' was the heart of the business, and the blood, sweat, and tears of what could make or break a company. I got my work ethics and skills from this setting, and they are skills that have served me very well, even in these horrible times for employees.

over the years, however, as we all know, there is a new mindset: one of sweatshops, cheating employees, a complete lack of regard for others as human beings, making people think they are not worth being paid a living wage, etc. greed has taken hold, and globalization, and we are now basically all worthless and expendable. most rich people flaunt their money and power, and the rest of us, well: "You get nothing, and you will love it" - that is what we have to look forward to.

NA

PS - the time is coming to rise up - NA

[ In Reply To ..]
rise up...

Okay, I was with them - UNTIL

[ In Reply To ..]
This line:

"In an era when offering lavish employee perks has turned into something of an arms race..."

Was this article written in the 1980s, or in some other country but the USA?

From everything I see and hear, just the opposite is the norm in the USA these days -- squeeze your employees just as hard as you possibly can, and then squeeze harder still.

Similar Messages:

Patrick’s, Gaenslen’s And 'Somas’ Tests Were Negative.
Dec 16, 2013

I cannot find Somas' anywhere.  Anyone know this one? ...

Bottom Line
Jun 03, 2013

the bottom line is this business is not one to get into.  i produce the same lines, but earn a significantly less amount year after year.  it is impossible to be 100% accurate at all times no matter how good you are.  it is too easy to miss a little word, not edit correct due to eye strain, and long hours on a computer.  i have been looking to get out and today was the straw that broke the camels back.  if they had any brains, they would go back to critical errors are of course terrible and ...

The Bottom Line Sm
Dec 05, 2014

is the people making these decisions have no idea what MT entails and do not care.  They don't think that we MTs might have a problem with the Indian QC giving us our quality scores.  They don't think that maybe the Indian QC may be changing a correct term to a wrong term.  They don't care that we can be dinged for a demographics error, yet cannot verify that we actually DID make the error.  The whole thing stinks.  As I have seen in this forum over and ov ...

Bottom Line With Working At MM...
Feb 23, 2013

So many people with so many questions about working here. Trying to make this a full-time job has been extremely difficult, having to work odd hours whenever there happens to be work. If you're someone who is just looking for a little extra pocket money, maybe this company could work out for you.  If you're someone who doesn't mind not having a schedule or a life outside of work, maybe this job would be okay. If either of these things are objectionable, I would suggest you lo ...

In Terms Of What You Earn Per Day - What Is Your Bottom Line?
Apr 14, 2012

A post on the company board got me to think about what it is we (as MTs) need in terms of pay.  Does 3 cpl provide for you and your family (if you have dependents)? Does 12 cpl provide that need?  What is your daily average of income regardless of whether it is voice recognition or straight income?  Do you have a bottom line that you will not cross or will find something outside of medicatl transcription? I will post separately my personal need and hope others will share theirs. ...

.03¢ A Line VR Editing
Sep 29, 2010

Was just trying for a job with a company, sent my resume, asked me what hours I was looking for, how much experience I had and then dropped the bomb that they only pay 3¢ a line for VR editing.  Is there anyone out there making a decent wage doing editing for so little?  ...

Assembly Line Workers
Nov 16, 2013

I was just sitting here thinking about the kind of work that we are all doing and what it boils down to is that we have become assembly line factory workers but instead of assembling widgets, we're assembling medical reports.    ...

The Sky Is Falling – College Closes Medical Transcription Program – MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...

Her Arms And Legs Are Likewise Very Thin And Almost S/l “kakesic”. Any Help Would Be
Sep 28, 2011

“exciting” News In The Link Today
May 15, 2014

Hasn’t anyone read their emails and seen the “exciting” news in the Link today??  “….new compensation structure to be simple to understand, transparent, competitive, to be effective around 10/1….”  Translate:Simple to understand = unable to be calculated by MT Transparent = we all make the same regardless of experience Competitive = MTSOs battle each other to pay the lowest rates Sounds like another pay cut is in the work ...

Smartype Line Will Not Move With The Page So When I Get To The Bottom Of The Page
Mar 09, 2011

I have a question about Smartype and I will try to make it so it is understandable:)  I bought Instant Text because I had to have some way of moving my Smartype over into Word 2007 (I had Word 2002).  I have Instant Text turned off until I learn the new platform on the new company I am with.  My problem is this, the Smartype line will not move with the page so when I get to the bottom of the page it covers up everything at the bottom and I can only manually move Smartype by scrolling back up ...

“vigorous Pinprick” To The Face?
Apr 04, 2013

Does “vigorous pinprick” to the face sound correct to you?  I’m imagining the doc stabbing needles into the patient's face. "Cranial Nerve V:  She reports no facial sensation other than in her forehead, though with vigorous (s/l pimpering), she does flinch but says she still does not feel it." ...

Since All Of Us Are Hurting For Work...
Mar 20, 2010

I've come up with a way to make some supplemental income. I am going to print T-shirts that say "No More Jobs Available" and sell them. What do you think? ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

Toxiblay Confirmed As "‎etat Crible‎"
Mar 27, 2013

rad filled in word etat crible pronounced atociblay ...

What Happened To An Honest Day’s Work For An Honest Day’s Pay
Jul 29, 2010

It is amazing that more people are not committing suicide.  I guess that goes to the underlying optimism that human beings are inherently born with.   We always think there is good in all people and that we will be protected from evil.   But, what happened to an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?  Every day there are posts about people working hard for their paltry wages, only to be paid late or not paid at all.  We cannot even apply for a job ...

Seems Like All I Get Lately Is The Bottom Of The Barrel, Most
Aug 15, 2010

mush-mouthed dictators, the WORST audio, more and and more often.  Okay, this does not surprise me one bit (I know what is going on....convinced MQ is trying to get US MTs to quit--I know that)....it's just.........HOW do they know in advance who the crappy dictators are/poor audio is to make sure we get?  They'd have to listen to it first.  I don't get it.  Could it just be that they tell they Indians to kick back all the crap and we'll do it?   ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

What Is Rock Bottom, Anyway?
Dec 28, 2011

I worked all day today for less than what I made per day in 1985, at my second-ever transcription job. I hang by a thread to my rental home (already lost home I owned) and belongings, as do so many others...each day I force my gnarled and painful fingers to their respective limits, well beyond their limitations, eeking out just another hour...this hour for the cat's food, another hour to pay the internet bill, so I can work another hour...and so on. I remember when I was in my mid ...

SORE BOTTOM
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat cushion/pad to help with a sore/numb rump and leg circulation? Thanks!! :D ...

Update To Sore Bottom
Mar 10, 2014

I was the one who posted about using a memory foam pillow, but after the next poster mentioned the Herman Miller Mirra chair, I decided to do some research. I ended up going to a used office supply store and purchasing a Steelcase Leap.  Great chair, but the lumbar support didn't go low enough for my small frame.  So after a week of lower back pain, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Herman Miller.  I just started using it today and already I'm thrilled. ...

Starting All Over As A Newbie At The Bottom
Mar 11, 2014

of the ladder, working all nights, weekends, and holidays again, and having to learn a new field & stress over working up speed, accuracy, constantly being audited because you're new... I think they've just burnt me out too much doing MT to even be able to consider being able to handle all that at this point!  I don't know if my poor old brain could handle it anymore. ...

In Regards To The Field Of American MT Hitting Rock Bottom...
Apr 03, 2010

IMO, and again, this is only my opinion, hitting rock bottom should equate to more than just what we're earning now as individuals.  In order to judge whether or not the FIELD of MT has hit rock bottom in America, we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first times as single people trying to support fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou
Dec 31, 2009

To all my MQ and MT Stars friends, may this year and this decade be better than the last.  May you and your families be richly blessed this new year. ...

Happy Mother’s Day To All.
May 08, 2011

With the transcription industry ever changing b___ s___ with paycuts, outsourcing, VR and big corporations taking over, being a mother is the most important job some of us have.  The only good benefits we have today as transcriptionists are we can be home with our children and we can avoid the gas guzzling drive to work.  So remember do not let the industry bring us down as we are mothers in this hard time for transcriptionists.  ...

At The End Of My Rope….
Aug 15, 2012

Just venting……..I am so bummed.  I was doing so well a couple of years ago.  I was working as a Radiology Transcriptionist for six years for a very, very large radiology facility, two days in the office and the rest of the week from home in the evenings.  Then they went to VR, but kept me on because the some of the docs were not complying with VR so those reports had to be typed and in addition I was doing editing.  I was making good money and was able to put aw ...

The Possibility Of Alzheimer’s *lumes*. Thanks. Nm
Jun 14, 2011

nm ...

RE: Yes The Archives Are Chalk… And
Apr 25, 2012

"…  you suggest we dont go to work and what?????" Yes, don't go to work!  You must answer the "… and what?????" part of the question you ask.  I have made multiple posts with multiple suggestions on what each individual can do.  Those actions can include your suggestion of "lay on my couch?"  if you so desire, although that will not be as effective as say participating in your local May 1st activities.  See this link for more info on th ...

Regarding: • Re: INSCRIBE - BooBear
Feb 20, 2013

I can't post a public reply on that thread.  The only option is "reply by email." Is it just me or is that normal for the company board?  I don't want to send an email.  What is up?  ...