A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The bottom line sm - Ben Tover

Posted: Dec 05, 2014

is the people making these decisions have no idea what MT entails and do not care.  They don't think that we MTs might have a problem with the Indian QC giving us our quality scores.  They don't think that maybe the Indian QC may be changing a correct term to a wrong term.  They don't care that we can be dinged for a demographics error, yet cannot verify that we actually DID make the error.  The whole thing stinks.  As I have seen in this forum over and over, it's just an "exciting" way to cut our pay! 

You are absolutely right, Ben. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Yes, just another way not to pay for the services they requre - WR

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone who thinks that Nuance is doing anything but trying to get out of paying for transcription services--which they need to stay in business until such time as they can get every provider on voice recognition and using Dragon software-- is dreaming.

Made me laugh! - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Comic relief. Love your screen name. Made me think of an old grays anatomy episode where they set the guy up by making him call out for a patient named Jenny talia! We can all you a chuckle about now

Similar Messages:

Bottom Line
Jun 03, 2013

the bottom line is this business is not one to get into.  i produce the same lines, but earn a significantly less amount year after year.  it is impossible to be 100% accurate at all times no matter how good you are.  it is too easy to miss a little word, not edit correct due to eye strain, and long hours on a computer.  i have been looking to get out and today was the straw that broke the camels back.  if they had any brains, they would go back to critical errors are of course terrible and ...

Bottom Line With Working At MM...
Feb 23, 2013

So many people with so many questions about working here. Trying to make this a full-time job has been extremely difficult, having to work odd hours whenever there happens to be work. If you're someone who is just looking for a little extra pocket money, maybe this company could work out for you.  If you're someone who doesn't mind not having a schedule or a life outside of work, maybe this job would be okay. If either of these things are objectionable, I would suggest you lo ...

In Terms Of What You Earn Per Day - What Is Your Bottom Line?
Apr 14, 2012

A post on the company board got me to think about what it is we (as MTs) need in terms of pay.  Does 3 cpl provide for you and your family (if you have dependents)? Does 12 cpl provide that need?  What is your daily average of income regardless of whether it is voice recognition or straight income?  Do you have a bottom line that you will not cross or will find something outside of medicatl transcription? I will post separately my personal need and hope others will share theirs. ...

Are Unenthusiastic Workers Hurting Your Business’s Bottom Line?
Jun 24, 2013

By Sarah Halzack,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line? That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and &ld ...

Smartype Line Will Not Move With The Page So When I Get To The Bottom Of The Page
Mar 09, 2011

I have a question about Smartype and I will try to make it so it is understandable:)  I bought Instant Text because I had to have some way of moving my Smartype over into Word 2007 (I had Word 2002).  I have Instant Text turned off until I learn the new platform on the new company I am with.  My problem is this, the Smartype line will not move with the page so when I get to the bottom of the page it covers up everything at the bottom and I can only manually move Smartype by scrolling back up ...

Seems Like All I Get Lately Is The Bottom Of The Barrel, Most
Aug 15, 2010

mush-mouthed dictators, the WORST audio, more and and more often.  Okay, this does not surprise me one bit (I know what is going on....convinced MQ is trying to get US MTs to quit--I know that)....it's just.........HOW do they know in advance who the crappy dictators are/poor audio is to make sure we get?  They'd have to listen to it first.  I don't get it.  Could it just be that they tell they Indians to kick back all the crap and we'll do it?   ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

What Is Rock Bottom, Anyway?
Dec 28, 2011

I worked all day today for less than what I made per day in 1985, at my second-ever transcription job. I hang by a thread to my rental home (already lost home I owned) and belongings, as do so many others...each day I force my gnarled and painful fingers to their respective limits, well beyond their limitations, eeking out just another hour...this hour for the cat's food, another hour to pay the internet bill, so I can work another hour...and so on. I remember when I was in my mid ...

SORE BOTTOM
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat cushion/pad to help with a sore/numb rump and leg circulation? Thanks!! :D ...

Update To Sore Bottom
Mar 10, 2014

I was the one who posted about using a memory foam pillow, but after the next poster mentioned the Herman Miller Mirra chair, I decided to do some research. I ended up going to a used office supply store and purchasing a Steelcase Leap.  Great chair, but the lumbar support didn't go low enough for my small frame.  So after a week of lower back pain, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Herman Miller.  I just started using it today and already I'm thrilled. ...

Starting All Over As A Newbie At The Bottom
Mar 11, 2014

of the ladder, working all nights, weekends, and holidays again, and having to learn a new field & stress over working up speed, accuracy, constantly being audited because you're new... I think they've just burnt me out too much doing MT to even be able to consider being able to handle all that at this point!  I don't know if my poor old brain could handle it anymore. ...

In Regards To The Field Of American MT Hitting Rock Bottom...
Apr 03, 2010

IMO, and again, this is only my opinion, hitting rock bottom should equate to more than just what we're earning now as individuals.  In order to judge whether or not the FIELD of MT has hit rock bottom in America, we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first times as single people trying to support fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Finally Experienced The "you're-the-dirt-on-the-bottom-of-my-shoe" Phenomenon
Dec 23, 2014

My HDSM for months now in her emails that are getting fewer and fewer always says she is "still making calls" to us and if we need anything to contact her and she will get back to us right away.  Well, 2 weeks ago I needed to talk to her about something so I sent her an email.  The silence has been deafening ever since.  I imagine she's putting up her Christmas tree, wrapping gifts for her kids, and making fruitcake for her neighbors.  I've been patient.  ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

10 Cents A Line For Transcription And 5-6 Cents A Line For VRE?
Mar 19, 2015

Are there any companies out there that pay at least 10 cents a line for transcription and 5-6 cents a line for VRE? This career is not what it used to be!  ...

Where Is The Line?
Nov 11, 2009

Well, just failed another test and on the very first part to beat all! It was multiple choice grammar, punctuation, and terminology. I cannot be this dumb or are the standards sooooo high? I researched everything twice before I sent it in and felt really good about it. After receiving notice that I failed, with no grade or what I did wrong, I researched somemore. I found 2 that I answered wrong. There may be more but I can't see how. So out of the whole test I miss two, and they were spell ...

How Can They Cut 0.03 A Line When A Lot Of Us
Mar 02, 2010

are already at or close to minimum wage anyway?  Really, they have to pay at least minimum wage, so ha, ha, ha.  They can take their 0.03 a line and put it where the sun don't shine!    That felt good! ...