A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

In terms of what you earn per day - what is your bottom line? - ICManiac

Posted: Apr 14, 2012

A post on the company board got me to think about what it is we (as MTs) need in terms of pay.  Does 3 cpl provide for you and your family (if you have dependents)? Does 12 cpl provide that need?  What is your daily average of income regardless of whether it is voice recognition or straight income?  Do you have a bottom line that you will not cross or will find something outside of medicatl transcription?

I will post separately my personal need and hope others will share theirs.

My per day need - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I need to earn $100 a day every day of the year, plus some. I support my family of one child without child support; I am single. If I earn $150 today, that means on Saturday I can work fewer hours. On average, I work every single day except for the holiday season, whether it is one hour or four hours. No VR involved. If my per hour rate drops below $20, I will find something else to do that provides benefits.

My scenario - MTManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I need about $1000 per week, i.e. $25/hour. I support a family of 3 teenagers, one in college, and am also single. I do not get this amount from one full-time job, though I could if there were steady work and no running out. It takes one full-time job, 1 or 2 part-times jobs, plus Ebay sales for me to get by.

My bottom line - me

[ In Reply To ..]
My goal is $1000/wk. Right now I'm surpassing that a bit.

While I *could* make a living on 7 cpl, I won't accept anything less than 8 cpl. But as you said, I could make this with one company but the fluctuations are too frequent so I have to have at least one or two other irons in the fire.

Could you all - include

[ In Reply To ..]
How many hours you are working now to meet your $1000 a week goal? What's everyone's bottom line on that? Some have mentioned you have more than one job, so how many days per week, how many hours a day are you working? One mentioned $25 an hour, but sounds like you are transcribing and not editing?

I am not the OP, just would like that info since you're sharing. Thx.

In response to the $1000 week? Is this with editing? I am just struggling to make ends meet with ed - cheryl

[ In Reply To ..]
Hoping to make a change

hours per day - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
It really does vary from day to day and week to week. For example, my full-time work source has lost several clients recently (for whatever the reason), so there is no work available 2 out of 7 days a week now. But on 2 other of the remaining 5 days, I can earn at least $200, so that pulls up my daily average and keeps me on track.

I do have a couple of small accounts that I can work on those no-work days.

I said in my post that my per hour bottom line is $20, so at a maximum I'm putting in 5-6 hours (that is straight time on the keyboards). It might take me 8 hours in the day to get in those 5-6 hours, though, because I take a lot of breaks and wait for the work to come in. At a minimum, I work 2 hours every day of the week (which means those days average $50 per hour) up to a maximum of 6 hours 5/7 days a week. Except for holidays when I do not work at all. Lots of templated and abbreviation program use.

Again, no VR. Close to 20 years as an MT.

hours - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I work about 35-40 hours a week. Sometimes I slack on a Friday and make it up on a Sunday but that's a choice I make.

On my main job, I do straight type and editing. I make nearly 8 cpl editing, 9 cpl straight typing. On my supplemental jobs it's straight typing for one and the other insists we import templates which then need edited, although it is not exactly editing from VR.

Just me - sandi

[ In Reply To ..]
I work 5 days a week, 7 to 8 hours per day and average $1000 to $1100 a week. If for some reason I am not at that goal, I will work a few extra hours on a Sunday, where there is an incentive.

I wonder - what you are

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder what you are getting at by asking this question. I no longer do straight transcribing. Used to make really good money. Pay was cut in half by cpl when editing came along and then the work dried up because there were too many MTs working at the hospital, so we were let loose. You are lucky to still be making what you are making. Hope it continues for you. Where do you live? Are you just doing clinics or do you do acute care too?

Similar Messages:

Bottom Line
Jun 03, 2013

the bottom line is this business is not one to get into.  i produce the same lines, but earn a significantly less amount year after year.  it is impossible to be 100% accurate at all times no matter how good you are.  it is too easy to miss a little word, not edit correct due to eye strain, and long hours on a computer.  i have been looking to get out and today was the straw that broke the camels back.  if they had any brains, they would go back to critical errors are of course terrible and ...

The Bottom Line Sm
Dec 05, 2014

is the people making these decisions have no idea what MT entails and do not care.  They don't think that we MTs might have a problem with the Indian QC giving us our quality scores.  They don't think that maybe the Indian QC may be changing a correct term to a wrong term.  They don't care that we can be dinged for a demographics error, yet cannot verify that we actually DID make the error.  The whole thing stinks.  As I have seen in this forum over and ov ...

Bottom Line With Working At MM...
Feb 23, 2013

So many people with so many questions about working here. Trying to make this a full-time job has been extremely difficult, having to work odd hours whenever there happens to be work. If you're someone who is just looking for a little extra pocket money, maybe this company could work out for you.  If you're someone who doesn't mind not having a schedule or a life outside of work, maybe this job would be okay. If either of these things are objectionable, I would suggest you lo ...

Are Unenthusiastic Workers Hurting Your Business’s Bottom Line?
Jun 24, 2013

By Sarah Halzack,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line? That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and &ld ...

Smartype Line Will Not Move With The Page So When I Get To The Bottom Of The Page
Mar 09, 2011

I have a question about Smartype and I will try to make it so it is understandable:)  I bought Instant Text because I had to have some way of moving my Smartype over into Word 2007 (I had Word 2002).  I have Instant Text turned off until I learn the new platform on the new company I am with.  My problem is this, the Smartype line will not move with the page so when I get to the bottom of the page it covers up everything at the bottom and I can only manually move Smartype by scrolling back up ...

Anyone Know If You Earn PTO If NJA
Mar 28, 2013

If you have no jobs and can't work,do you still earn your PTO? ...

What The Indians Earn
Mar 25, 2013

I've been looking at exchange rates as well as information on salaries for MTs in India trying to figure out what they are earning.  As best I can tell, a rupee is worth about 2 cents.  If my math is correct, a starting MT is earing about $160/month.  I cannot find any information as to their line rate.  If anyone has better math skills (and it would not be difficult) please correct me.  At that rate, you can see why they want all the work to go to India.  Even ...

What Should We Do If We Earn Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 02, 2010

Are we supposed to report this to someone?  Plus, since our earnings may fluctuate from pay to pay, what do we do then?  ...

Medical Transcribers Earn Big Money
Apr 16, 2010

Just got this in a Spam E-mail.  Sure wish I had gone into that field instead of what I am doing and making squat!!! ...

SS Ad: Plenty Of Work Available To Allow You To Earn What You Need TODAY!!! Sm
Jan 23, 2011

I average about 400-500 lines a shift (full time), so I guess if you can live on $36-45 a day, they are not lying. ...

Want To Earn Extra Money? Those Of You Being Told To Lie
Nov 24, 2011

a goldmine, PLUS an opportunity to put those immoral MTSOs in their place.  Every job has the time it was submitted and who did it.  If those times are strung-out over 10-14 hours when the MTSO bogus records show you worked an 8-hour shift, who do you think will come out ahead in a lawsuit?  Also, keep a log on the REAL hours you worked as icing on the cake.  An employment attorrney would have a ball with this. ...

Is It Hard To Earn Money On ChartNet? Sm
Jan 09, 2015

I have never worked on ChartNet and am wondering how hard it is to learn and the earning capacity in it.  I love escription but this new account is ChartNet.   Thanks all! ...

I Would Earn More Money If I Was Paid By The Number Of Corrections
Jun 23, 2011

I have to make for DQSpeech. ...

Seems Like All I Get Lately Is The Bottom Of The Barrel, Most
Aug 15, 2010

mush-mouthed dictators, the WORST audio, more and and more often.  Okay, this does not surprise me one bit (I know what is going on....convinced MQ is trying to get US MTs to quit--I know that)....it's just.........HOW do they know in advance who the crappy dictators are/poor audio is to make sure we get?  They'd have to listen to it first.  I don't get it.  Could it just be that they tell they Indians to kick back all the crap and we'll do it?   ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

What Is Rock Bottom, Anyway?
Dec 28, 2011

I worked all day today for less than what I made per day in 1985, at my second-ever transcription job. I hang by a thread to my rental home (already lost home I owned) and belongings, as do so many others...each day I force my gnarled and painful fingers to their respective limits, well beyond their limitations, eeking out just another hour...this hour for the cat's food, another hour to pay the internet bill, so I can work another hour...and so on. I remember when I was in my mid ...

SORE BOTTOM
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat cushion/pad to help with a sore/numb rump and leg circulation? Thanks!! :D ...

Update To Sore Bottom
Mar 10, 2014

I was the one who posted about using a memory foam pillow, but after the next poster mentioned the Herman Miller Mirra chair, I decided to do some research. I ended up going to a used office supply store and purchasing a Steelcase Leap.  Great chair, but the lumbar support didn't go low enough for my small frame.  So after a week of lower back pain, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Herman Miller.  I just started using it today and already I'm thrilled. ...

Starting All Over As A Newbie At The Bottom
Mar 11, 2014

of the ladder, working all nights, weekends, and holidays again, and having to learn a new field & stress over working up speed, accuracy, constantly being audited because you're new... I think they've just burnt me out too much doing MT to even be able to consider being able to handle all that at this point!  I don't know if my poor old brain could handle it anymore. ...

In Regards To The Field Of American MT Hitting Rock Bottom...
Apr 03, 2010

IMO, and again, this is only my opinion, hitting rock bottom should equate to more than just what we're earning now as individuals.  In order to judge whether or not the FIELD of MT has hit rock bottom in America, we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first times as single people trying to support fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Terms
Jul 16, 2010

X-rays shows questioning loosening of s/l acetoid process in the left. Broken s/l schakloz wires. The doc is examining the patient's hips. Any help much apreciated. Thank you!   ...

EKG Terms
Dec 16, 2010

Does anyone have a good site for EKG terms.  I have this physician using terms I have never heard before like what sounds like "white count fixed ectopy" and maybe my brain is just tired (like that is anything new :0) but for the life of me I cannot figure out what he is saying.  I HATE to leave blanks so any help would be much appreciated at this wonderful hour of the night ( 12 am here) Thanks!! ...

X-ray Terms
Apr 18, 2011

Is it 3 view x-ray or a three-view x-ray or does it matter? thanks in advance! ...

Help - EKG Terms
Nov 26, 2012

I have 2 blanks not able to understand.  The first one sounds like oil or soil and the second one sounds like towish (tow like towel) maybe tawlish.  A 12-lead EKG showed a slightly sinus _____ pattern in the 1 and _____ P wave in lead 2, so I cannot rule out the possibility of borderline atrial enlargement. TIA ...

Can Anyone Help Me With These Terms
Mar 02, 2015

I am not a medical transcriptionist.  I usually do general transcription.  I have a doctor speaking, using some terminology I cannot find.  May I give you a phonetic description of what I think he is saying?  If anyone recognizes this, could you please give me some suggestions on what you think he is saying. I'm hearing "brocoderal species" that causes "glanders amyloidosis".  Does this ring any bells for anyone?   ...

Help With Ophthalmology Terms
Jun 18, 2010

Need some help with these terms that are some type of eye surgery.  They are mentioned in the past medical history. Resident dictates what sounds like "rule-op-sis" to the right eye (spells this rulptoss, which I am sure doesn't spell anything!) and "lul-pop-tosis" to the left eye (spells this lulptosos, which also doesn't spell anything!).  I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have! I am on my last nerve with these students, residents, foreign doctors, etc., being ...

Transcription Terms
Oct 14, 2010

The sentence "Hemodialysis was done on that day, and one liter of fluid was removed"  is one liter  correct or is it 1L or 1 liter???? ...

Terms In EP Report
Mar 12, 2012

Anyone familiar with these terms, can't even hear him well enough to get a s/l    The P onset ________ was 0, the P onset *DVJ or AVJ* was 13.     TIA!    ...

Missing Terms
Oct 03, 2012

Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. There is subluxation of the right thumb with limitation of motion include 4/5 apposition. There is considerable weakness of the right hand when compare to the left. There is decrease in the right radial reflex. The subluxation is probably secondary to the absence of ______ _____ of original fixation. Loose component, total joint replacement, right metacarpal joint. Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. I am struggling to figure ...