A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sick of docs wanting the world, but offering nothing in return - need to vent

Posted: Aug 23, 2010

When did it start being okay for companies to accept and accomodate docs who put out garbage and then require the world of us MT's?  I have worked in the medical setting in various capacities, so I know how docs are and I am used to it.  However, when it comes to something as serious as transcribing thier reports and getting it right you would think they would do there best to at least try to speak soem what clearly.....the wost part is that these are not even ESL's that I speaking of!...shame I can transcribe for them better than the US born and bred one's....sorry just needed to vent...it's it Friday yet! LOL

I'm right there with ya...sm - Tired of it

[ In Reply To ..]
Having the same problem with my current doctor. He's absolutely horrible when it comes to dictating the more important parts of the dictation, like the vital signs, but apparently it's too much to ask him to slow down... I actually got laughed at by my MTSO when I requested this. Needless to say, I'm on my out of that place...She could've handled that situation a lot better instead of making me feel like a total idiot. If it weren't for the MTs, there'd BE no transcription company! Too bad she doesn't realize that.

give what you get, do not question anything; - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

I do just that...I give what I get, but I'm sick of being harrassed by personel who are fully a - .

[ In Reply To ..]

sorry...shoud have read "that are fully aware of the problem and are - need to vent

[ In Reply To ..]
just giving that old customer is always right talk ....I'm sorry, no they are not always right....and doesn't that violate a hippa law somewhere when the docs would rather laugh, eat, blech whisper and be indecisive/word fumbling when they dictate??

I sure hope most of them are more careful doing their - surgeries than they are dictating the op-report!

[ In Reply To ..]
X

we had a joke - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There was one surgeon who constantly re-dictated his sentences. "An incision was made-- no, wait, we made an incision extending to-- no, wait, an incision was made centered over the-- no, wait..." We joked what his surgeries would be like if he had the same approach-- cut one way, then take the scalpel out, try cutting another way, no don't like that either, try cutting HERE instead, no, let's try the first place again-- what a mess!! LOL.

I really agree with you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 2 jobs, one with tons of ESLs, but the other with one doctor who is a native English speaker. He is just terrible, saying the wrong words/amounts all the time, slurring, eating, using tons of doctor's names without indicating spelling or which doctor he means, etc. I understand the ESLs better than I understand him. Last month he and his secretary had a hissy about a single error I made because I couldn't hear him, so now I just leave blanks or flag stuff. I was trained to "clean up" his stuff, but no more, not for 6 cents a line and a barrage of insults when I make an error ever 3-4 months.

Dictating Etiquette - luckyladyinca

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the responsibility of the MTSO to address. My prices are based on "good dictation etiquette," and whenever I have issues (either equipment used or dictation itself), I address this promptly, as this is costly, effects accuracy and TAT, and falls under risk management. If the dictation is of poor quality, then I address this and remind them their prices and TAT are based on dictation practices. This clears up any problems quick. All 74+ dictators are fabulous! I wish other MTSOs would do this.

That's the problem. Too many large nationals want a billion clients - rather than good MTs.

[ In Reply To ..]
They simply do not care that the doctor is horrible. I actually had a doctor the other day who dictated a note on a patient by the name of Bhandara Padmadanathivaiyanthian (made up name, of course - but you get the gist). Well this guy sped through the note at the speed of light, stammered over words that he dictated in 2 syllables, and jumped back and forth changing things throughout the note without indicating where he wanted what. He does this ALL the time. This is his normal style of dictation.

A week later I get an email that I'm on probation because of the new HITECH laws. The doc dictated on the WRONG patient and the note went to the wrong chart, but I'm on probation because I should have caught that the doc said "she" through the note and the patient was a male. HELLO. We don't get patient demographics that give any more information than birthdate, MR number, and location. If he doesn't dictate this stuff, how am I supposed to know? I will not be held accountable for the garbage that this idiot dictates and I don't want to work for a company who won't back me up when they clearly know how bad he is at dictating. I'm done. No more.

bad dictators - transgal

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree! I work on a clinic account with only 30% of the patients having an MR# that's in the system. A foreign neurologist that I transcribe has a PASSING level of English pronunciation within the report, but obviously thinks he can garble the patient info. However, I have NO access to demographics and when I flag it for QA, it goes through blank anyway, and the doctor switches between first name first versus last name first and there's NO way to tell what some of the names are.

On ANOTHER account,there's a rude, rude physician who is ignorant, passes gas, tells of his "conquests" to the point that I know where he takes a date to have a "successful end" to the evening, versus where he takes them when he wants to make it a "short night." (Not his terms, but I won't go into it!) He also SCREAMS at his wife and kids incessantly during his dictation. The hospital knows about it and does nothing. (I almost wish he WAS an ESL, because this is really TMI!!)

Boy, all emptySOs should take a page out of your book. - Desperate

[ In Reply To ..]
I always thought that if you compared the whole medical transcription process to an assembly line, with MT, the "product", if you will, starts with the physician; they are the first party on the assembly line. If it is faulty at the start, then if it is not fixed by the end of the line (in our case, the MTs), you have a pile of garbage. If you were making widgets, a faulty widget would never get that far. However, in our field, because people who know very little about what they are selling have promised the buyers the moon and just leave any and all problems up to the transcriptionists to fix, the ones in the trenches (the MTs) to sort through the pile of garbage for a "perfect" report or else be penalized, usually money-wise, because someone who actually thinks they know what these people are saying has decided that we, the garbage pickers of the world, are wrong. And furthermore, we're supposed to be happy about it and grateful we have a job and show up whenever they need us and go sit in a corner whenever they don't and never ever complain - just put up and shut up. (Do I sound jaded?)

You obviously have done it the right way. Can we all come to work for you??

Thanks a lot.

Also, to the folks who put up and maintain this forum, as someone said earlier, I am grateful for it. I am grateful for the opportunity for us to air what is on our minds and perhaps get it off our chests. Thanks!!

Pssstt---- turn off the expander. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Sick of docs wanting the world - 27-year-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you but also realize it is the companies and hospitals we work for who are just as guilty. If we do not learn to stand up for ourselves no one else is going to stand up for us. If MTs continue to present themselves are doormats who just take whatever is dished out to them, that is the way it will continue to be, until we all loose our jobs overseas or to a software program (although I think that is a long time in coming compared to the software I am presently using). If you want a better job, better treatment, better pay and to be treated like a human being not a piece of office furniture, then ALL MTs will have to organize and make that happen. No one is going to hand it to you. It is a shame we have learned to think so little of ourselves as women and MTs. What we do is very hard and tedious. We deserve better respect, pay and benefits for what we create out of gibberish.

How? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

okay, so you've scolded us twice now - do you have - any actual ideas? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

So I Am Sick Of Docs I Cant Understand
Sep 29, 2013

They now cut our PTO and are threatening us if we don't have all our hours in because THEY are out of work..Oh yea and at least 150 lph and 99.6% is it now accuracy..When I can't understand a doc now, I will not go in past reports, I will leave markers..I will go for a second listen once the report is done but the old Above and Beyond crap is gone!! ...

So Sick Of This! When Are Docs Going To Be Told They Cannot Dictate On Cell Phones...sm
May 12, 2012

It takes just as long to listen to the file (most of which is unintelligible) and leave huge areas of blanks, so we make next to nothing for the report. Garbage!!!! I know...nothing will ever be done about this. ...

So Sick Of Docs With 12-inch Thick Tongues! They Should Have To Use Front-end SR! NM
Jun 17, 2015

Return To Transcription
Nov 29, 2011

I have been away from transcription for 2 years, but have 10 years experience before that.  I am looking to return and would love any advice on ways to brush up on transcription without having to pay for expensive courses.  Also, any companies that would be willing to hire in this situation.  Thanks! ...

What Equipment Do You Return?
Aug 06, 2012

What equipment are we supposed to return?  Just the hard drive?  I don't want to call my CCM about this so I hope someone who recently quit knows.  Since my computer doesn't have enough power to run 7.1, do you think they still want it back? ...

Equipment Return
Sep 08, 2012

The number that this person called from doesn't say M-Modal, just Raleigh, NC? I refuse to call and pay the long distance from my house phone where he left the message, so I tried all day yesterday to call from my cell phone and get a busy signal and "network not available" message.  Does this all sound jicky or maybe weather-related?????? ...

VBC Job Offering
May 12, 2015

Definitely agree wtih poster on job board about no VBC, offering 7 cpl without spaces is absurd.  I love op reports and am local to the job posted but once I saw it ws 7 cpl VBC I was definitely not interested.  That would be equal to maybe 5.25 cpl with spaces, take out taxes and you are down to about 3.5 maybe, what else can they take? ...

Wanting Out
Dec 29, 2009

I've been a MT for 10 years.  Not long compared to a lot of people on here, but unfortunately for me it has become a nigtmare instead of the job I once loved.  The last couple years with the change to SR has cost me approximately $10.00 per hour.  I am the only income in my home raising 3 children, on the verge of losing the house...   Same old sad story all over the country I suppose.   I'm looking for some advice on other jobs that can be ...

Wanting To Become An MT
May 18, 2015

Hello MT'S out there HELP HELP HELP! Im wanting to become like you, an Mt and preferrably to work from home. I'm trying to find out about about schools/training: accredited, financial aid, online. I'd be interested to know how, who, and what to go about it. If I'm able to go by financial aid, i want to pick the right school/training. I would hate to just pick a school and find out its not the right one and would be wasing the financial aid money. I google and i� ...

Return Equipment Labels
Apr 06, 2010

Left MQ the last day of March 2010.  I have read on this board numerous times that that they a long time to send return labels.  I have been gone 1 week and already have return labels, but the joke is, I do not have MQ equipment to send back.  Have been using my own equipment from day one.  I even had to have it repaired a couple months ago and my CCM asked if it was my computer.  If it had been theirs they would have gotten it back then.  Just thought you might enj ...

Return To Maker - Paycheck - What Does This Mean
Aug 01, 2010

Went to the issuing bank with my paycheck in hand.  Bank supervisor was called over.  After they stared at the screen for several minutes, handed me back the check and said they could not cash it.  When asked why, was told that it was to be "returned to maker."  Is that reason to believe the MTSO is not able to cover the paycheck? ...

6.1 Has Stolen My Capitalization On Return!! LOL
Sep 08, 2010

specifically useful in listing, when I used to hit return, it would automatically capitalize the next line, updated to 6.1 and no more auto cap on return.  Anyone else have this problem?  My expansion is Instant Text, and I don't see anything on there about the cap on return.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Julie ...

MT Training - Want To Return To Transcription
Feb 08, 2011

Hi there!!  I was a medical transcriptionist eons ago - learned on an IBM Selectric typewriter while listening to a dictaphone machine.  I was quite good, if I may say so myself.  However, lots of years have gone by, I became an EMT, then an LPN, but now I'm retired.  I want to return to transcription and need the advice of experienced MTs.  It seems smart to take a course online but I really don't know which course you all would recommend.  HELP!!  I need the most comprehensive ...

My Return To MQ Bites The Dust
Sep 29, 2011

Several years ago, after working for MQ for a few years, I gave up on them - it was right around the time they introduced the whole cesspool thing and all my work disappeared.  Then, I began working elsewhere and guess what, same boring story, the work dried up.  So, with painful reluctance I came back to MQ and these last few weeks has been one heart-wrenching day after the next.  There's either no work, or I get another hospital with completely different CP instructions or ...

Famous Vs. Veinous Return?
Nov 15, 2011

Dr. states use legs and muscles to encourage _____ return.  Sound like famous.  Possibly veinous?  Thanks! ...

Landmark Offering 3 Cpl And So Does TTS.
Dec 07, 2012

No jobs out here and what does one do as they are offering us 3 cpl but then you know they want the weekend coverage and the 2nd shift because those are the worst.  Oh, but you can get a 1/2 a penny more?  What is a half of a penny?  Maybe in another country, but surely not here where it is hard to live on minimum wage.  Then supply your own equipment.  Augh.  Plus look at their test?  I'd be a nurse then...and be more respected and can save a life.  ...

So MM Is Offering 7 And 3 To New Hires Now??
Apr 18, 2013

As per the post below, 7 and 3 pennies per line.  Seriously, when will the madness end?! They have got to stop treating us like "typists." Actually, even a typist would make more than that.  You'd be making like 7 bucks an hour!! Oh I am just hopping mad right now. This company is just appalling.  Glad I am planning my escape. ...

MMoral Is Now Offering 7 And 3???
Apr 18, 2013

their souls to the devil. And may they burn in eternal damnation in flaming hell, all of 'em ...

Job Offering On For The Record
Mar 21, 2014

See link below... ...

Wanting Info On FTP
Jan 24, 2010

I have seen some companies hiring that use an FTP program.  Can anyone give me some more info on them?  I know it is a file transfer program, but exactly how does it work and is it easy to learn?  Can you get free programs to load?  What is the best one?  Thanks! ...

Those Of You Wanting To Retrain For Something Else ...
Apr 25, 2010

I'm in the RNP program. Here are 3 quick (2 yrs) degrees that are also paying pretty well.  Just FYI. CMTM http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-Jobs-With-Great-Return-on-usnews-4256113474.html?x=0   Radiation therapist --Most common degree: Associate's --Median pay: $72,910 More than half of cancer patients are treated with radiation therapy, which involves high doses of radiation aimed at killing cancer cells, and, according to the National Cancer Institute. (Radiati ...

Wanting To Know How Would I Get Started
Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started. ...

What's With These Companies Wanting ICs But
Jul 11, 2011

telling you what hours they want you to work? Just saw the latest job posting. I could never work for a company like that. I mean sure you can ask me if I can do it but to tell me. If that company cannot afford to hire employees then you shouldn't be accepting hospital accounts. I am glad I work for a company that says, "We can't tell you what hours to work as an IC." It makes you feel respected. Isn't that illegal anyway? Can someone tell me? ...

Wanting To Get My Own Clients
Jan 08, 2012

I am wanting to start getting my own clients again (haven't done that since I picked up and delivered, printed, etc.!!!) but know nothing about the dictation portion of it.  How do you get an FTP site?  Where do you go to get the dictation set up and be able to transcribe it?  What other things do I need to do for that?  Help!  Thank you all :) ...

Wanting To Leave
Aug 04, 2012

What types of jobs can still be done from home and make a reasonable wage?  I've been a MT for 15 years, making less money now than I did my first months, and just really wanting to leave.  I would like to find something that can still be done from home, if anyone has any legitimate ideas... ...

Here's A Suggestion For Those Wanting To Know
Jan 08, 2013

Cheap, cheap, cheap. You should pay your peeps. You could tell the clients NTS cannot keep up with work because people are jumping ship like rats from a hot fire. Perhaps management (upper, way upper I mean) could explain instead of the TLs having to do it, that they needed so much money to take to the bank they had to cut the pay of all their employees, now they have green, not as speedy, uninitiated MTs doing the work. Most of the good ones have fled the scene. And here's another rant: ...

Wanting My Own Clients
May 17, 2015

I am wanting to start my own MTSO and have my own clients.  I need someone who has done this already to be sort of a mentor for me.  If all you are going to say is "dont do it" or "it really sucks" or other stuff like that, please save it.  I just need advice on how to get started, who makes the decisions in clinics and offices, and so on...     Thanks in advance... MTdude ...

How Hard Will It Be To Return To Medical Transcription?
Jun 17, 2010

I'm not exactly new to the field, I transcribed clinic reports for 3 years.  After I graduated from MT school (Andrews), I ended up taking a job with a local medical transcription business.  Due to some health problems and also the owner subsequently running the business into the ground, I have been away from transcription for nearly a year.  How hard will it be to find a job after a year away from the field?  Do I have to start over as a new MT?  Thanks. ...

Return Of MQ Equipment--reporting It As Stolen?
Aug 06, 2010

I am a former MedQuister who left over 2 years ago. I just today recieved a letter from MQ stating they have contacted me 3 times over equipment that had not been returned that belongs to them. As far as I know, I was only contacted one time, it was about 3 or 4 months after I had left, and I had returned my equipment about a week or two after I ended my employment. So...this letter says they will report the equipment as stolen to the authorities, will report $2000 value of equipment on a tax f ...

Systematically Suction Curetted S/l Was/with Return
Aug 20, 2010

contents were then systematically suction curetted s/l was/with return with a very small amount of gestational tissue. ...