A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

home-based work for new graduates - Luisa

Posted: Oct 29, 2010

Hi everyone!  I hope someone can shed some light on who hires recent graduates for home-based MT work.  I've been applying to every company I can find but most want in-house experience or 1 year+.  Not having a car limits my in-house work.  That's why I went into this field.  I've been looking for 2 weeks and have gotten few replies (all "thanks but no thanks").  I've completed Medical Terminology course with a 94% and Medical Transcription course with 98%.  Any ideas?

Thanks! 

widen your horizons - imamt

[ In Reply To ..]
Too many people are going into MT because it's done at home which is not a good reason for choosing the profession.

Did your school teach you editing as well as transcription?

You can keep applying but the reality is that services for the most part want quality, trained transcriptionists which means it's going to be a real challenge for new MTs to get a foot in the door.

You've only been trying for 2 weeks which is really not long at all. It may take you 6 months or longer to find something so in the meantime, I'd recommend looking into other options while you continue to apply for MT positions.

widen your horizons - imamt - Luisa

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, imamt. I'll look into editing, but without a job, I really can't pay for any other courses.

Thanks!

What school did you attend? - imamt

[ In Reply To ..]
IMO, any school who is graduating an MT student who has NOT trained them on editing should be a school where students go back and request a refund.

The reality is much of today's work is editing and not straight transcription and without that skill you're going to find it even harder to get hired somewhere.

imamt - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
You seem so negative about anyone who may be doing this for at home work. Do you have a problem? People choose things based on what there needs are at the time. Do you always have to be so negative? I read some of your other posts, I am sure you are a WONDERFUL MT and you work really hard and are REALLY good at what you do. Did it ever occur to you that some one else could be just as good as you, even though their primary need is to work from home?

It's not negative, it's realistic - imamt

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry if that sits as negative with you, but it IS the reality.

If your PRIMARY reason for doing MT is because you can do it at home and you are just entering the field now, you'd be better off looking for something else.

new grad looking for work - rtanzi

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck I have been looking for 1 1/2 years!! Did you try Medquist? I found their test VERY hard and I didn't score well enough, but they are one of the only ones that will hire a new grad. I have been told try local offices, instead of agencies. they say they are easier to get into. Truly good luck this is harder than I thought it would be.

new grad looking for work - rtanzi - Luisa

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, rtanzi. I have a friend that did this a year ago and it only took her 2 months to find remote work. I think I'm trying so hard based on that experience. I did try MedQuist. My cousin has worked for them for years. I thought I tested well but must not have. Good luck to you, too. I hope you find something as well.

Give Inscribe a try - They hire new grads

[ In Reply To ..]
You've got to score well on the tests, though. In the upper 90s at the least. Otherwise you will find it almost impossible to find work. There are several MTSOs that will hire new grads, though. I've heard On-The-Mark also hires newbies. Good luck to you.
Thanks again! - Luisa
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the help, rtanzi. I wish this was as easy as it was presented to me. But I'll keep trying. Good luck to you and I'll let you know if I find anything! :)
Luisa - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
What school did you go to?

Similar Messages:

Any At-home-profession Graduates
Oct 15, 2011

I am looking for any one who has completed the AHP program and is currently employed. I need any advice you are willing to give. Thanks for your time. ...

Going Rate For Home-based MT
Sep 12, 2011

Anyone know the going rate for home-based MTs. Also, do any other than Webmedx provide a computer to use? ...

Looking For Home-based MT Equipment
Nov 30, 2011

I am looking to transcribe at home but need to start with basics such as phone line, equipment, etc. Has anyone ever set up a 1-line dictator setup. Where do I start? What do I need? Doctor has no idea. He has Dragon and does not like it so wants me to transcribe at  home? HELP!! ...

Home Based Job Opening
Oct 18, 2012

UnitedHealth Group is hiring home based healthcare claims investigator. Must have working knowledge of CPT/ICD-9 codes. ...

Med Coding Home Based Business
Jul 14, 2011

Thinking about doing med coding as IC from home.  Can any help me understand what system I need to connect with the physicians pc?  I know physician gives me pass word and I sign Business Agreement, but one company says the program also has to be installed into the physicians pc and that doesn't seem right.  Any help out there? ...

Fiesa - QA Has The Initials HBE (home-based Employee?)
Jun 09, 2014

If a QA has the initials HBE (home-based employee?), does anyone know if they are offshore?  If they are US, why don't they have US in front of their number? These people seem to be the nastiest of the bunch and the most nit-picking.  I just failed a post-audit because I missed out the word "the" where it made absolutely no difference to the meaning.  They also seem to make the most errors as I got a few critical errors reversed recently and it was the QAs with the initials HBE who were ...

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Jobs For New Graduates
Mar 20, 2010

Does anyone know of a company who will hire newbies?  I have been doing this for 15 years, but a family member has just graduated and is looking for a job.  Any help for her would be appreciated.  Thanks. ...

RMT Exam Graduates
Sep 08, 2011

I'm currently studying for the RMT exam. I was wondering of those who have taken it and passed, what helpful hints you might have for preparing for this exam? I've got a study guide through ADHI that I'm working through. I'm also going over all the books and terminology flashcards I recieved through At-Home Professions. Also, how many weeks did you study for this exam? I am hoping to take 4 weeks, but have heard of some who spent six weeks or more preparing. And, lastly, di ...

Any Graduates Of Andrews Or M-Tec?
Sep 04, 2012

Would like to know if any graduates of Andrews or M-Tec became employed shortly after completing course and how much I could be expected to earn on a part-time basis (20 hrs/wk)? ...

Andrews Graduates, Did You Get A Job?
Mar 02, 2015

I am seriously considering going into the coding program with Andrews soon. My main concern just lies in finding employment after I finish and become certified. Can any Andrews graduates share their experiences? Were you able to find employment quickly? Was anyone able to start working from home immediately? There are 2 hospitals in my town, but it is not a huge city, and I am afraid employment opportunities may be limited here locally. Anything you can tell me that might be useful would be much ...

Any New Andrews Graduates??
Mar 21, 2015

Just curious if there are any new Andrews graduates (in the last 30 days) that are having success finding a job? I am looking to start this program soon and do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak...been an MT for MANY, MANY years.... Are there jobs out there?  How hard are they to find/get? What is general starting pay? Feeling anxious/nervous/excited.... ...

Any Companies Hiring New Graduates??
Feb 05, 2010

Are there any companies hiring new graduates? I can't seem to get my foot in a door. Everyone wants experience. ...

Do You Know Any Companies That Hire New Graduates.
Jun 18, 2010

We need a start somewhere to get the experience. Looking forward to your reply.   Thank You Lena ...

Accentus - Hire New Graduates? -nm
Jan 26, 2011

x ...

Are There Any Penn Foster Graduates?
Apr 28, 2011

Are there any Penn Foster graduates? ...

Are There Any Penn Foster Graduates Working Right Now?
Sep 19, 2010

Are there any Penn Foster graduates working right now.  Please tell me your story. ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates Getting Jobs?
Oct 07, 2012

Has anyone graduating from the Andrews coding course gotten jobs. I know how hard it is to get a job without prior experience. I am 61 and wondering if it is worth the expense and effort to take the couse. I have fifteen years of MT experience and also have worked in a hospital for years before that. Thanks. ...

Questions For Andrews Coding Graduates (sm)
Jan 08, 2013

I have been doing research on the various coding programs out there and before I spend a large amount of money on training, I want to ask former Andrews coding students a couple of questions. 1. Did you pass the certification exam(s) and, if so, did you feel like the schooling that you received prepared you for the exam? 2. Are you currently working as a coder and, if not, how long have you been actively looking for a job and have you been able to get job interviews. I realize that getting ...

Career Step Happy Graduates?
Aug 07, 2014

Anyone out there a graduate of Career Step happy with their job?   ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates That Were Able To Find Work After Completing Course?? Sm
Mar 25, 2013

Hi Anybody on here graduated from Andrews coding course and able to find work? I am just really scared I am going to do all of this and not find a job anywhere?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated  Thanks ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

NC Based Companies.
Nov 11, 2011

I am looking for North Carolina based MTSOs.  I know about Fast Chart and Archivus. Just curious as to any more. Trying to make decision about whether to stay in this business or change and would like to work for a company based in my own state.  I am so tired of being 3 hours or more behind where I work and having to wait for answers, help etc from the MTSOs that are across the county or out of the country! ...

Where Is Nuance Based? Nm
Dec 01, 2013

Xx ...

U.S. Based Transcription
Jun 05, 2014

I'm really discouraged with the company I currently work for....so much of the work is being sent to India...Are there any good companies left where you can work, make a decent living, and not sit around your whole shift waiting for work to come trickling in?  If you know of any good companies that are currently hiring....please let me know!!   ...

Frustrated With The BOS 3rd Edition Being Web-based!
Dec 30, 2009

The pdf electronic version of BOS-2 was so handy and easy to use.  Wonder what made them decide to do away with that & make it to where you have to open a browser, find the link, sign in, find the BOS page, etc., for the 3rd edition.  It's so much more time-consuming, not to mention the search feature doesn't work nearly as well as the BOS-2 pdf version.  For the first time ever, I can't wait for the 4th edition because surely nobody likes this & they will g ...

Is Focus Infomatics Really US-based Now?
Jan 29, 2010

A former manager of mine from "brand X MTSO" (in reality, a very dear friend now) got thrown under the bus.  She knows how "QBay" does.  She is considering an MT or QA job for Focus Infomatics.  Focus claims to not offshore, and has offered my friend 8 cpl.  That sounds terribly lame wage wise for all that experience. When I couldn't drink the MQ Kool-Aid anymore, I was making a whopping 9 cpl.  Of course, try doing the math on that formula come payday.   Jus ...