A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Med coding home based business - John

Posted: Jul 14, 2011

Thinking about doing med coding as IC from home.  Can any help me understand what system I need to connect with the physicians pc?  I know physician gives me pass word and I sign Business Agreement, but one company says the program also has to be installed into the physicians pc and that doesn't seem right.  Any help out there?

Just say no - Real Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds as though you have been listening to sales pitches from one of those medical billing scams.

The advice is that you should stop considering this. Just stop now while you're ahead.

Coding and billing do not work that way. No doctors are clamoring for people to do their billing from home--they already have someone doing it, usually in their office. If they didn't have someone already, they'd be out of business already, too.

Those scams are intended to get you to buy expensive software with the promise that they'll tell you how to do the job and give you a list of doctors who want these services. The problem is that only the scam industry works this way -- the coding industry doesn't.

There are no jobs doing this, at least not that way. The software they sell is often useless or outdated. The training is inadequate by far. Nobody wants these alleged services. In short, IT'S A SCAM.

We don't work that way. We go to school to learn coding, then we take a certification exam, and we apply for on-site jobs. We might be able to work from home after we have some experience. It's very difficult work.

Please do an internet search for coding and billing scams. Take what they tell you seriously. If, after that, you still believe that there is gold in them thar hills, you need someone to handle your finances so that you don't destroy yourself.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thx for response, but I am already a certified coder with experience. I will be doing coding, not billing. Still asking if anyone has an answer for me.

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate advice, still researching. Still need to know system to connect to doctors computer without having to install something in doctors pc. Any answers out there?

Software - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, ok, then. Your original post didn't communicate that you were a certified coder with experience. It sounded as though you had no idea about how this would work, which we wouldn't expect from someone who was a coder and presumably had been working with this kind of software.

In general, if you are going to be linking into the physician's office system over the internet, you will need compatible software. They don't all use the same thing. Some use practice management software, some have an EHR, etc.

In order to code, you will need access to the medical records. You'll have to read the documentation in order to code, after all. How did you plan on doing that? If they do not have an EHR, they would need to photocopy and FedEx or fax them to you. If they do have an EHR, you will need the remote bit of that software. There may be a way to access it by logging in over the internet. It's going to vary from office to office--that office should be able to tell you what to do, since they have instructions for their in-office system. If they cannot, then you'll need to contact the support or help line for the software they use.

You will also need access to their billing system if it is different. Same thing applies here . . . either you need the compatible bit of the software or you need to log into the office network over the internet.

There is the possibility that you plan on providing billing services for offices that are not electronic. Perhaps you plan on having them fax or FedEx copies of the record and the charge ticket, after which you will code and bill insurers directly using your own software. (That's what the scams usually involve.) While you would have done it that way a decade or more ago, and while you could do it that way now, I can't imagine that there are any healthcare providers today who would find that acceptable.

I know people who have lost thousands doing that. - Not Recommended

[ In Reply To ..]
I know several people who tried what you are talking about. One was a nurse, another one was an office manager of a big medical office and the other had no medical background. Oh yes, and there was a sweet couple from church who were so excited about doing it. They ALL lost every penny they put into it, usually about $10,000, sometimes more.

I wouldn't do it, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know and like.

Similar Messages:

Going Rate For Home-based MT
Sep 12, 2011

Anyone know the going rate for home-based MTs. Also, do any other than Webmedx provide a computer to use? ...

Looking For Home-based MT Equipment
Nov 30, 2011

I am looking to transcribe at home but need to start with basics such as phone line, equipment, etc. Has anyone ever set up a 1-line dictator setup. Where do I start? What do I need? Doctor has no idea. He has Dragon and does not like it so wants me to transcribe at  home? HELP!! ...

Home Based Job Opening
Oct 18, 2012

UnitedHealth Group is hiring home based healthcare claims investigator. Must have working knowledge of CPT/ICD-9 codes. ...

Home-based Work For New Graduates
Oct 29, 2010

Hi everyone!  I hope someone can shed some light on who hires recent graduates for home-based MT work.  I've been applying to every company I can find but most want in-house experience or 1 year+.  Not having a car limits my in-house work.  That's why I went into this field.  I've been looking for 2 weeks and have gotten few replies (all "thanks but no thanks").  I've completed Medical Terminology course with a 94% and Medical Transcription cours ...

Fiesa - QA Has The Initials HBE (home-based Employee?)
Jun 09, 2014

If a QA has the initials HBE (home-based employee?), does anyone know if they are offshore?  If they are US, why don't they have US in front of their number? These people seem to be the nastiest of the bunch and the most nit-picking.  I just failed a post-audit because I missed out the word "the" where it made absolutely no difference to the meaning.  They also seem to make the most errors as I got a few critical errors reversed recently and it was the QAs with the initials HBE who were ...

Is Coding Hourly Or Production Based?
Jan 21, 2010

Hi,   I am thinking of expanding my skills as a medical coder, but before I spend a bunch of money learning this as well, I wanted to know if it is based on production or hourly?  I would like to work from home.  I am burned out with transcribing and just not making what I want to be making.  I almost took coding instead of transcription 5 years ago.    Thank you so much! ...

Coding At Home
Dec 31, 2011

I have been an MT for the past 17 years; I have loved the job but this profession is really going down the tubes as far as pay and keeping up with the cost of living.  I'm interested in coding and specifically Andrews school but I LOVE the flexibility of MT and working from home.  What are the work-at-home options for coders?  From what I have read here, the CCS is important.  Any other helpful info would be appreciated.  ...

At Home Coding
Mar 29, 2014

Just wondering about the average pay for at home coders. Also, are part-time coding jobs available? What is the speed requirement? Thanks for any info. ...

Coding -- Only On Premises Or Also At Home?
Dec 10, 2010

I am an MT (15 years) but lost my job 8 months ago. I am looking into other possible jobs in the medical field. Can anyone suggest good schools for learning coding? Also how long would a course typically run and approximately how much would it cost for school? Would my MT experience benefit me? My last question is, once you have completed your education, do you run into problems then finding a job because you lack "work" experience and are these jobs typically done on the premises or can you wor ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

Medical Coding - How To Search For Jobs At Home
Jul 21, 2010

Hello, I am a MT and wanted to also do coding, could you please tell me how to search for jobs at home once I am done with school ??  Does anybody have a board for coder jobs thanks so much ...

Work From Home Medical Coding Or Editing
Dec 29, 2012

Coding At Home Versus In-house/pay Difference
Jan 18, 2015

Have just made the decision to go back to school (yet again) to get out of this hell hole of MT, even though I have been in QA for a few years. I plan on going to Andrews and testing for and getting as many credentials as I can that Andrews prepares you for right off the bat. I am so used to working from home and really enjoy it.  When starting out, is a national, working from home, the best place to gain experience?  I figure they would be more likely to hire "newbies"?  If so, ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

NC Based Companies.
Nov 11, 2011

I am looking for North Carolina based MTSOs.  I know about Fast Chart and Archivus. Just curious as to any more. Trying to make decision about whether to stay in this business or change and would like to work for a company based in my own state.  I am so tired of being 3 hours or more behind where I work and having to wait for answers, help etc from the MTSOs that are across the county or out of the country! ...

Where Is Nuance Based? Nm
Dec 01, 2013

Xx ...

U.S. Based Transcription
Jun 05, 2014

I'm really discouraged with the company I currently work for....so much of the work is being sent to India...Are there any good companies left where you can work, make a decent living, and not sit around your whole shift waiting for work to come trickling in?  If you know of any good companies that are currently hiring....please let me know!!   ...

Frustrated With The BOS 3rd Edition Being Web-based!
Dec 30, 2009

The pdf electronic version of BOS-2 was so handy and easy to use.  Wonder what made them decide to do away with that & make it to where you have to open a browser, find the link, sign in, find the BOS page, etc., for the 3rd edition.  It's so much more time-consuming, not to mention the search feature doesn't work nearly as well as the BOS-2 pdf version.  For the first time ever, I can't wait for the 4th edition because surely nobody likes this & they will g ...

Is Focus Infomatics Really US-based Now?
Jan 29, 2010

A former manager of mine from "brand X MTSO" (in reality, a very dear friend now) got thrown under the bus.  She knows how "QBay" does.  She is considering an MT or QA job for Focus Infomatics.  Focus claims to not offshore, and has offered my friend 8 cpl.  That sounds terribly lame wage wise for all that experience. When I couldn't drink the MQ Kool-Aid anymore, I was making a whopping 9 cpl.  Of course, try doing the math on that formula come payday.   Jus ...

Web-based Transcription Platform?
Nov 23, 2010

What exactly is someone referring to when they say "web-based transcription platform"? Are they referring to the program that the company uses to receive/pull/send audio files? ...

MD IN TOUCH Based In Florida
Jan 21, 2011

Does anyone have any info on MD In Touch based in Florida.  TIA ...

PAY BASED ON 50-CHARACTER LINE
Aug 04, 2011

I WAS OFFERED A POSITION AT A COMPANY I CANNOT NAME AT 0.076 CPL WITH A LINE BASED ON 50 CHARACTERS, ALL TYPING, NO VR.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WOULD BE EQUAL TO ON A 65-CHARACTER LINE?  IS THIS AN ACCEPTABLE PAY AS I HAVE NEVER USED A 50-CHARACTER LINE BEFORE? ...

Production Based Editing
Dec 22, 2011

I have applied for a production-based QA position, and I have  heard of a minimum expected, but they gave me a max?  Do any of you have a max?  If so, how does this work? ...

Q.-based Nippling, Newborn
Jul 19, 2012

Has anyone heard of this...q.-based nippling?  Doesn't make since to me since q. means every.  Thanks for any help. ...

Anyone Ever Heard Of Speechpad, Based In
Oct 09, 2012

Thx for any info you can provide! ...

M-Modal-based Platform
Apr 06, 2013

Can someone who uses an M-Modal-based platform (not working for M-Modal but another company) tell me if you can spell check on the fly using the keyboard and not the mouse? ...

Please! Document That Is Word Based?
May 13, 2013

We got notice that we cannot use a document that is word based with the platform we use. I hate to appear that I have no sense at all but I do not have a clue what is meant by document that is word based. Is that Facebook, Yahoo, Google? I need some assistance. Thanks so much! ...

Mediscribes Based In Louisville? Right ;)
Feb 27, 2014

There may be one staff member in Louisville, but it's Indian owned.  Dig a little deeper. That's your first red flag.  Your second red flag is the knowledge that last summer, once the US labor passed QA for Mediscribes, they immediately switched to their own Indian labor immediately afterwards, admitting freely that US labor on the account had done nothing wrong, QA wise or productivity wise.  None of the 22 US laborers were given new ...

Is Softscript Word-based
Jun 18, 2014

Straight typing in word-based platform? What is their line rate? Any info on this company appreciated. Looking for a major change, hopefully one for the better. ...