A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone have experience as to whether $100 speakers make any improvement sm - yochana

Posted: May 17, 2010

over $20 speakers as far as dictation goes?  Can the better speakers make the dictation sound a little better (justifying cost of speakers)?  I know bad dictation is bad dictation but just wondering.

speakers - tootsie

[ In Reply To ..]
you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear...if the dictation is bad, the speakers are not going to change it. a good pair of headphones may help, but the speakers won't. They may, however, make your music CDs sound better. lol.

The only benefit speakers will have on dictation is... - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Volume. You can turn the dictation up farther than the software and your PC allows with speakers. So unless you're planning on playing music or watching movies or videos on your PC, I wouldn't spend more than $20 for a pair of speakers.

some voices are better to record than others - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
because they have too many side noises, etc.....also, some voices are so smooth and others are very annoying, shrill, loud, like scratching a blackboard with fingernails...,yuk!

I do not think that speakers make a lot of difference. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Headphones and the sound cards can have more effect how you hear the audio.

Also the settings you choose for the transcription software.

$100 speakers - 15+ exp

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never used the speakers on any of my PC's for dictation. I invested $45 buck and bought a set of noise-cancelling headphones at RadioShack, and it paid off big time! Everything is clearer and background noise gets filtered out. My blanks rate went way down, maybe 1-2 reports out of 30-40 reports done a day, if that. Some days no blanks even on crappe dictators. I recommend 'em - best money I've spent and I've had the same set for over 6 years now.

Similar Messages:

Hey Look, With No Experience At All, I Can Make Much More Money Making Burgers!!!
Sep 14, 2013

Amidst nationwide protests about the minimum wage at fast-food eateries, one burger joint in the Detroit metropolitan area has decided to raise its starting salary to $15. According to the Daily Beast, Moo Cluck Moo, a Michigan eatery, had already been paying employees an unheard of $12 per hour. Fast-food workers around the country have been holding protests to encourage companies and restaurant owners to raise staff pay. Moo Cluck Moo owners Brian Parker and Harry Moorhouse chose to give their ...

If You See An Ad That Says "strong ESL Experience" Does That Make You Not Want To Apply? S
Feb 06, 2010

Sorry but to me that is just asking for your job to be more difficult, to make less money and have more headaches.  Does anyone actualy want to do a lot of ESLs? I don't mind having ESL dictators as part of my job but if it is going to be a large part of it, I avoid that particular job.     ...

Speakers Versus Headset When Working
Jan 26, 2011

Does anyone use speakers instead of headset when transcribing/editing?  I have always used a headset (been in this field for about 20 years), and the more I work, the worse the ringing becomes in my ears.  I believe it is directly related to the headset (which does not insert into my ears--got away from that one because it really made it worse).  I try to keep the volume as low as I can.  Anyone opt for using speakers instead or the headset.  Anyone have similar symptoms ...

How Do I Get Internal Speakers From Computer To Work?
Nov 10, 2012

I would like to listen to stuff without using headphones or external speakers temporarily. I have Windows 7. My other computer has the sound coming right out of it without any speakers which is great, plus if I want to plug in headphones I can do that too. I would like to make this Windows 7 do the same thing. Can you help? ...

What Are The Best Speakers For MT Work? Please Give Model # Also
Dec 05, 2012

nm ...

MM Doesn't Send Speakers With Their Computers Anymore?
Jul 19, 2012

My MQ/MM speakers, which I plug in my head phones into, quit working. The techs called me and said they no longer send speakers with the computers. Anyone, within the last 2 years or so, get speakers send with their MQ/MM computer? I was told MTs are plugging the head sets into the computer directly and using a head set with the volume dial on the head set. Is this true? ...

Improvement?
Sep 17, 2011

I was told at my company that we will need to be lowering the jobs we send out to QA or else there will be "corrective action." I am really not sure how to get around fast speakers, muffled words and patient information that just isn't there. I'm not the type to fill in a blank with anything either. I do have superb skills with researching words and the spelling is good. Can someone recommend ways that have worked for them on lowering QA percentage? ...

Expecting 99% With No Improvement In ASR
May 21, 2011

Why are we expected to get 99%, but yet ASR never has to improve. How is that fair? ...

Quality Improvement IQ, Anyone?
Sep 26, 2013

OMG, what a waste of time.  It is as if they have finally now just discovered what we have have been dealing with all our professional  lives (and what they cannot manage to do correctly themselves). did you catch it?  duh. ...

They Pay Us To Take A Quality Improvement Course
Nov 17, 2013

and then send us work comprised of reports from a different facility each time you download.  All these years and they still can't figure out that quality work comes from knowing your dictators and knowing your facility.  One has to wonder about the IQ's of management personnel. ...

Trying To Do The Quality Improvement Course
May 26, 2014

I am trying to find the quality improvement course and can't find it in the mmodal intranet site.  It says to find POPULAR LINKS portlet then quality improvement but I can't even find the popular links portlet.  ARRGGGGHHHH! Anyone that has taken this before, can you please help me? ...

Dictator Improvement Program -
Oct 08, 2010

According to the email from one of the big guys, they're going to do a program for the doctors for improving their dictation. Okay... That could be good if the doctors who need it go. But.... he also mentioned doing a lot more ASR. Well, I don't think dictation training will help that as the program can't even get doctors who speak very very clearly right. We've been told this will make our lives/work easier. I'll believe it when I see it. ...

Quality Improvement Test
Oct 23, 2013

I had posted a message about the quality improvement test we were required to take and someone said they hadn't heard of it. I was wondering if only certain BOBs were required to take this. I was absurd and mainly a course in remedial English. The quality is poor in this BOB because the dictation is horrendous, not because someone doesn't know the difference between their and there. They did not even emphasize getting the medical information correct. So, how many of you have seen t ...

I Am Doing The Quality Improvement Program.
Nov 29, 2013

It is such a waste and the content angering. Misspelled English words??? Unless it is their versus there, your versus you're, it is due to ASR. Medical words - Again, if it is the right word, ASR program's fault. And yes, we should correct it. Grammar?? Excuse me, I will get dinged for fixing it because the accounts are verbatim. Get into a rhythm????? That is not possible when you have to stop and correct as many times per line as I do to correct the crummy output AND dele ...

Quality Improvement Initiative
Dec 25, 2013

I pass my audits, but I can't seem to pass one of their test modules to get to the passcode.  It tells you to pick out 9, I pick out 9 and I still fail.  I have no reason why I am failing.  I can't even see an X on the righ-hand corner like they seem to think you can.  I am ready to tell them to fire me!! ...

Quality Improvement Program
Dec 31, 2013

Just got an e-mail that there are 5 of us in our BOB who are going to be mentored/coached.  The chosen ones will be contacted later.  Nice.  Now gotta sit here and sweat the phone ringing. ...

Suggestions For Improvement Of The MT Program At My College
Sep 27, 2010

Based on what I've been reading on these blogs, I realized how little prepared the grads of the MT program from my college actually were. So I wrote a letter to the assistant director of the program, making suggestions on how they could improve the training they offer; things like exposing students to REAL dictation, rather than just CDs of actors reading scripts; exposure to ESL dictation; including a course in speech recognition editing; including a course in medically-oriented ...

Performance Improvement Plan, Need Advice
Oct 04, 2013

I'd appreciate any advice about this. I normally have scores between 98 and 99, a few weeks I was over 99. Anyway, I have been put on a Performance Improvement Plan and have 1 week to get 99 or over. If I don't, I will be put on a PIP from HR which sounds ominous but I don't know what that means. Please let me know what to expect and if I am danger of being fired. Thanks! ...

Quality Improvement Test - Did You Love It?
Oct 21, 2013

Did you all take the QI test? Did you love it? ...

Dear MTSO: A Quality Improvement Program Does Not
Jan 01, 2015

This is what some MTSO's believe quality improvement consists of: "IF EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU DOESN'T STRAIGHTEN UP AND STOP MAKING MISTAKES.....(here, insert the Teacher's Voice from Charlie Brown cartoons) - WAH WAH WAH WAAAAAH WAHWAHWAH WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Oh, yeah - and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, too. Or this: "YOU IDIOTS!  DON'T YOU KNOW THAT WE GET PENALIZED $EVENTY BAJILLION$ OF DOLLAR$ EVERY TIME ONE OF YOU PUTS THE PERIOD OUTSIDE TH ...

Has Anyone Listened To Any Of The "guest Speakers"?
May 24, 2014

I should.  Is there anything important to be missed if one does not listen?  Has anything been said about increasing our wages from sub-poverty to poverty or maybe even back to where they used to be so we can keep our cars and homes?  Any insight is appreciated. ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

In Your Experience
Nov 10, 2009

I have seen that some MTs work two or three companies at a time and during the same hours.  Can you tell me if this was working with the same platform and same computer?  ...

Do You Think MT Experience Will Help In Getting An MR Job?
Feb 11, 2010

There is a hospital in my area that has 2 jobs I am interested in, one is a records analyst and the other is a records clerk.  I am definitely ready to start working outside of the home, but I fear my MT experience will not help me much in getting one of these jobs.  I am just wondering what you all think or if I should bother to apply.  I am thinking they are going to want people with hospital experience.  Thanks a bunch for any information!! ...

MD-IT..any Experience?
Apr 12, 2010

Hi.  I was recently hired as an employee with MD-IT.  I filled out all my paperwork, did my computer audit, background check, etc. and was supposed to call at 9:00 a.m. this morning to begin downloading their transcription platform.  Well, I called and got voicemail.  I left a message and have not heard back.  To me, if you have an appointment scheduled, you should be available for that appointment.  I'm sure they would expect nothing less from me.  I real ...

Experience.
Jun 08, 2010

I have been noticing that the experience level required to even get looked at for an MT job has went up. The 2 year experience mark has now went to 3 in most postings, and alot more postings are stating they want a minimum of 5 years. It is an up hill battle in an already hard market but with these kind of requirements I supose the seasoned MT's can rest a little easier and the newbies I guess can look for another line of work. I have already switched my gears and will finish my MA deg ...

Too MUCH Experience?
Jul 23, 2010

I am trying to figure why I never get a call-back on job applications anymore.  For instance I applied at one company who was advertising a week or so ago, I'm sure I did perfectly or almost so on the test, never heard from them, and yet now they are advertising again.   My range is not great, mostly ER and clinic, so maybe this is the issue but I have applied for these positions recently to no avail. I have 16 years experience and I wonder if they think I will want too much ...

How To Get Experience W/o Job & Job W/o Experience?
Sep 18, 2010

it's the old question - how to get acute care experience that everyone wants - when none of the local hospitals are hiring for MT (I've checked).  I could try "cold calling" doctor's offices and see who does their transcription (unless they have some kind of digital chart system - fill in the appropriate boxes on their laptops - I think our family doc uses that system). I actually had "formal" hospital acute care training 11 years ago - so seems like a lifetime ago.  Th ...

Can Anyone Please Tell Me Their Experience With...sm
Nov 22, 2010

eTransPlus?  I am considering sending my resume but can't afford to waste time with yet another joke.    Thanks much! ...