A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Straight Up.... - potentialQer

Posted: Jan 04, 2011

This board is full of so many negatives about Medquist.  Can anyone tell me anything GOOD about Medquist? TIA

1. Positive: They always pay on time. - Always

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Second that. - Unfortunately

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't think of anything else to add other than the fact that I have a job in this crap economy.

Positive - realistic

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll probably get beat up for this but 52+K last year is on a positive note. 3 weeks PTO. 401. On and on. I have a job, and a good one too. And I transcribe all day long, am not a suit.
April Fools - where did Feb. and Mar. go?
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah.... RIGHT!
Not buying that pig in a poke. Sorry. - not born at night
[ In Reply To ..]
holy moses.. the 664 moster emerged from the swamp - did anyone get photos?
[ In Reply To ..]
I am calling Ripley's.
To REALISTIC - Pants on fire!
[ In Reply To ..]
Liar, liar. To the MTs/MEs who work here, it is impossible to make 52K per year. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!
I believe it - Me too
[ In Reply To ..]
I made 28K part-time and can't say I really busted my hump.
Busting Hump - BHer
[ In Reply To ..]
So, realistically, speaking what can a full-time MQ employee expect to make? If a part-timer is making 28K, that's not so bad... can full-timing it get you to twice that I wonder? Very curious...
realistic - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not going to beat you up. I believe you. I did not make 52 but around 30. I would assume my line rate is lower than yours. I also got at least 3 weeks PTO time. I do not invest in the 401. I also transcribe all day and not a suit.

As said before, there are good regions and bad regions, good CCMs and bad CCMs. I certainly do not think the people that have it rough are lying, but the people that are happy with their job and doing good are also not lying. It's just the luck of the draw on what work you get. It depends on if clients in your region take their work overseas. Many hospitals refuse to have their work go overseas. It depends on how much ASR you get and the quality of it. There are many factors involved, but it is not right to call the people doing good liars.
I didn't even break 30k and I am a worker bee. - dumbdumb
[ In Reply To ..]
Just not possible any more, at least for me.
I just e-mailed you, realistic - for your secrets
[ In Reply To ..]
I want to know if you could tell me how I can make that much, too. I hope you will return my e-mail just to make sure you really aren't a suit.
I think the bulk of us could use some tips - post them
[ In Reply To ..]
So, lets have it. What are you doing? Speed voice, spell check and move on? Are you on a straight transcription account perhaps? CCM Pet? Won a 30,000 bonus and only earned 20,000?

Seriously! What is the BIG SECRET that you 50,000 braggers are keeping to yourself?

Gee, since you asked so nicely... - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
:(
like you would have anyway - :(
[ In Reply To ..]
point proven
Only suggestion I have - Me too
[ In Reply To ..]
With ASR, read ahead whenever there is a pause in the dictation. I ALWAYS use the yellow highlight and read ahead to correct things that jump out at me, but can still go back immediately to what they're saying once they start talking again.
ex 50Ker - NJA Queen
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to make 50K plus, but I must make a disclaimer that I worked 50+ hours a week with OT and I took full advantage of the daily bonus working four 10-hour days.

The only secret is that the 50K don't want you to know that straight transcription account is a must, also many long Ctrl-S standards that you can pull in and just fill in the @@. I also had one account that we didn't have to fill in the ADT screen and that saved me much time too. You don't realize how much time we waste on CCs and verifying date of service and dictator.

To make 50K on straight ASR now with the current pathetic pay plan and absent bonus/differential structure you must have long standards you can pull in (either self-made or client-produced). Otherwise you are destined to chaining yourself to your chair and working OT every time it is offered and every incentive until you are so sick.

Sorry there is no magic answer. Some people have gravy accounts and others dont. Simple as that.
Agree wholeheartedly. I used to make it too. - did work OT some
[ In Reply To ..]
Was on familiar accounts and had my own "normals" and could save keystrokes. There is no way now. Not with all the time I spend on the ADT screen, cc's, and unfamiliar accounts.
some tips... - read me
[ In Reply To ..]
You know, you can't expect someone to offer assistance when you berate them with sarcasm and contempt.

I'm not the OP, and since you haven't insulted ME yet, I will offer you some of my tips:

1. Using "normals" is a timesaver of course, but in addition, I abbreviate every possible word I can. Using this method, I can produce about six lines by typing only about two.

2. Use keystrokes instead of the mouse. There is no reason to have to mouse around your document when you can use customized keystrokes to move your cursor, select text, etc.

3. Get over yourself and upgrade your skills. When you encounter someone who makes money and is successful in this industry, find out what they are doing and implement it rather than insulting them and holding them in contempt.

good luck to you
I believe you - I have done it
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to make pretty close to that and I only make 7.5 cpl. I was on the same account for 4 years, I had made a canned report for nearly every dictator and every worktype at that hospital. I worked nights and never ran out of work and got that incentive bonus every month. At the beginning of the year, that hospital went to India without noticed to me. I was moved to a different account full of inaudible progress notes, that incentive bonus turned into a pathetic raise that averaged the past bonus after a month or two of no work/slow work, then the night owl differential cut. I make half of that now. My point is that I don't believe you are lying, it is possible to make that much, but you have to be lucky. It's not that those making less are slower typers or have poor work ethic, maybe just the opposite; they just got the shaft when it came to accounts/ccm/India, etc. don't be suprised when you get a bad reception when you let loose how much you make. I suggest a bit more tact.
We all USED to make it - just not possible any more. - silly putty
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless she is just the total exception to the transcription rule.

Most of them still communicate in English. - (Brush up on your Hindi)

[ In Reply To ..]

I don't do Hindi - An American

[ In Reply To ..]
They only technically speak English. If they spoke English FTR, we would not be having such a hard time understanding them, needing to listen to them repeatedly, directly affecting OUR salaries. Perhaps their English is understandable in their country as they may be familiar with their own dialects (of which there are many BTW), they are NOW AMERICANS!! They made a choice to move HERE. It should not be our responsibility to understand them, but theirs to learn OUR system. Furthermore, I feel due to the time involved, we should be compensated fairly by MQ. I know, I know.

I have more difficulty with Mexican ESL dictators than Hindi ESL dictators. - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
The Mexican ESL dictators in my region dictate really fast and skip over the words they don't want to say, but I'm still supposed to type them in the report. I'm pretty good with fast dictators, as long as they actually say most of the words. I had a Mexican ESL dictator the other day who was literally intermixing Spanish and English, and it was an ASR report which turned out to be no help whatsoever. I would've F11'd it, but I'd never transcribed this dictator before and wanted to try the ASR just in case it might've helped. It's like a crapshoot with ASR and unfamiliar dictators. Oh, well.

Similar Messages:

ASR Vs Straight
Jan 28, 2014

Noticing today that I am doing a LOT more typing than editing.  Hoping this is NOT the new trend.  Also, whole paragraphs added that were not dictated.  It just keeps getting more and more complicated. ...

Please, Let's Get This Straight.
Dec 07, 2014

Nuance is doing YOU, the MT, no favor when they say they willl pay the minimum wage.  They are REQUIRED by federal law to pay you the minimum wage based upon your state's minimum wage rate.  If you think that you will drop below minimum wage because of #s of reports sent to QA, errors, or whatever, understand by federal law, Nuance has no choice but to pay up, they cannot skirt it.  It is s a federal law!  There are a lot of erroneous posts on here.  Please do your ...

Straight Away Gait?
Feb 04, 2010

Gait was a bit unsteady on tandem, but was not diagnostic on the straight away gait ...

I'm Back - Now Let Me Get This Straight
Aug 19, 2010

I never intended to be back with MQ, but they bought the company I work for.  Now do I understand correctly that since I've been gone MQ has eliminated ALL bonus and/or incentive pay? ...

Who Has Straight Typing ...
Sep 21, 2010

NM ...

ASR Vs Straight Typing
Oct 15, 2010

Got new accounts for the last 2 weeks that are not ASR (yet) so have been doing about 90% straight typing.  I have been averaging about $20 more per day than when I do ASR.  They can sell whatever snake oil they want, I can type faster and make more money straight typing than I can with their much-touted fabulous ASR --- EVEN ON BRAND NEW UNFAMILIAR ACCOUNTS.  ...

Straight-leg Testing ?
Nov 03, 2010

Hyphen or no hyphen?  I am finding both ways.  Thanks for any help! ...

Are Any Of You Transcribing Straight Into EMR?
Dec 29, 2010

I was wondering if any of you are transcribing straight into EMR and if you are, how does that work? How different is it to standard MT? Do you use it in conjunction with VR? Do you work for a large or small hospital, clinic, or physician's office? Specialty? Anything else I forgot to ask?  LOL ...

What Is Straight Typing?
Jul 07, 2011

I'm just a tad embarrassed but I need to ask.  I just applied for a job that is "straight typing" but I don't know what that means.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks. ...

Ok....give It To Me STRAIGHT!
Dec 07, 2011

I have been considering going to Andrews to become an MT for and I have never done it because I get on these boards and get scared to death! I have worked in the Medical field for 13 years (as a clinical tech and surgery....included in that is some limited transcription and scribing). I now stay home with my kids. I have one in school and the other in pre-school. I would love to be an MT because I love the medical field and I would love something I can do from home. I do not expect to get rich. ...

Is 8 Cpl For Straight Transcription As An IC Too Low?
Dec 17, 2011

I'm looking to transition from being an employee to an IC postion.  I've been offered 8 cpl for straight transcription.  Is this the new going rate, or should I hold out for more?  I've got about 9 years of experience.  Thanks! ...

Looking For Straight Transcription Job
May 04, 2012

Does anyone know of a company that is hiring for straight transcription? My job recently changed over to speech recognition and my pay has been cut almost in half because of it. ...

TTD - Setting It Straight
Jun 10, 2012

I used to work there for approx. a year or so, before it really went down the toilet. I believe that sheer GREED set it and that's when it went downhill. Although I no longer work there, I have kept contact with some pretty reliable people. There are "100s" who are on the books to work; however, they work when they want, IF they want - there is absolutely no consistency to schedule or hours or days, nothing. Thus, the need to have that many people; the HOPE that someone will be working ...

Does Anyone Here Do Straight VR Editing For TTS?
Jun 19, 2012

Wondering how many lines you are able to do per hour. I have not done only VR editing before and am not sure I can make enough $ at it. TIA your replies. ...

Straight Transcription
Oct 17, 2012

Are there any transcription companies out there that still use straight transcription that are hiring? ...

Does OTI Have VR And Straight Typing?
Jan 10, 2013

I am currently straight typing and hate it, so I'm looking for a VR job with some straight typing thrown in every now and then.  Thank you! ...

Only Straight-up Opinions, Please...
Dec 10, 2013

Okay, I need some straight-up serious opinions, no bashing.  Does anyone like VR? Whille it may be wonderful for the MTSOs and the physicians, is it good for us? Does it really up productivity while reducing repetitive physical strain? Because I'm not feeling it. I don't like jazz music.  I don't enjoy the discordance. This is what VR feels like to me.  There is no flow, no rhythm, you start and stop, start and stop. The critical thinking aspect that is so vital to ...

Straight Typing Only
Oct 30, 2014

Hi everyone.  I am putting in applications and I want to apply at jobs with straight typine, no VR.  If anyone knows of any, please let me know.  The VR is boring and while none of them pay the way they used to, I know that I could make more on straight typing...I have 9 years experience. ...

Straight Typing
Apr 13, 2015

Are there any accounts at Nuance that are straight typing and not VR? I find with VR I still have to make so many corrections it doesn't justify the pay per line so I might as well go back to straight typing, if those accounts even exist anymore. ...

Why Suddenly Less ASR, More Straight Typing?
Nov 19, 2009

Hmm, let's see.  We get a letter from MQ extolling our virtues as MTs, more and more info about nationalizing the EMR with Verizon, etc. and I notice I'm not the only one getting less ASR, more direct typing.  Could be a coincidence, but could be MQ is gathering statistics on us, how the voice recognition program of MQ compares with our production as MTs versus straight typing on our own.  Could MQ be using us as guinea pigs right now to pad their statistics to prove the ...

For FTR Docs Straight To Client
Apr 15, 2010

I wonder if we couldn't put "Dictator Effect" as an alternative to "poor audio."  It seems more accurate.  Furthermore, it's a phrase that has come along with our QA feedback to qualify it. And that's TRULY what it is --- no question about it, 99% of the time, when I can't "get" something. Right now I have a new "primary" added to replace the one I lost.  This is a good account, as they go.  The doctors I've had so far speak pretty clearly -- some o ...

Does Anyone Do Straight Typing Anymore?
May 11, 2010

I've been away from the msg boards awhile. Is there any company out there big or small, that still does transcription the "Old fashioned way", typing instead of VR?  I've tried the VR, Hate it, make no money.  Surely there is a company out there somewhere that still values us and pays decently??  anyone? ...

Figures, After A Few Straight Weeks Of Nothing
May 27, 2010

but accounts in my own BOB, I started getting ALL non-BOB today even though apparently there was plenty of work on my primary.  So I though, hmmmm, I bet I'm getting audited....sure enough......I looked in statistics and I WAS.  Surprise!!! --- after 6 audited reports (very difficult, unfamiliar ESLs and new-to-me work types) I have a score of 97.7%.  I guess I failed my second audit.  That makes me so bleeping mad!!!  So, does this mean I will go on 100% QA immedi ...

Increased ASR, Less Straight Transcription??
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody notice increased ASR in the last week or 2, with less straight typing.  Just when I thought I had already hit the lowest I possibly could, they do this.  I was at least getting between 100-300 transcription lines before, now all the sudden lucky to get any.  My pay has already been deposited in the bank, down another $100 from before.  What do they want next, blood? ...

ASR Versus Straight Typing
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone else out there get scared when you get a straight typing report?   Every time I get a straight typed report, the dictator sucks, sound quality sucks, or both.  I am totally scared every time a blank screen pops up.  Don't mean to sound unappreciative of the increased income, but sometimes I feel like I am being pulled through a needle backwards! ...

If You Use Dictaphone ExText And Do Both SR And Straight
Apr 07, 2011

transcription will you e-mail me please.   I am in the process of interviewing with a small company that uses this platform and I have questions about my computer being compatible, and it is sort of the blind leading then blind when I ask questions.  I would just like to ask a couple of questions without going back on forth on the boards.  I can't accept the position until I can be sure my setup will work.  ...

Does Oracle Have Straight Typing And SR? 
Jun 12, 2011

Does Oracle have straight typing and SR?  ...

VR Versus Straight Transcription
Apr 28, 2011

With my company I get about 80% editing and 20% straight transcription, about half as much per line editing as for transcription, of course.  Personally, I'd rather transcribe a difficult dictator than edit most anyone.  My pet peeve is when a difficult dictator's reports (which used to be transcribed) gets changed to editing status, and it takes just as long to fix the VR document but now at about half as much pay. ...

What Is Up With All Of These Companies Cutting The Pay For Straight
Jun 07, 2011

I'm not understanding if a person was making 8 or 9 cents a line for straight transcription and then the account goes to voice rec and the pay is decreased for that, why is the pay for straight transcription also going down?  It's the same doctors, so why am I now suddenly worth 2 cents less to do straight transcription?  Personally, if it isn't VR worthy, then you would think that it would still be worth the 8 or 9 cents a line.  ...

Any Companies That Use Straight Typing
Feb 10, 2012

Really don't like VR. ...